Flannan Islands: Mysterious Disappearance

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
I read somewhere that when the relief party first turned up at the lighthbouse they found "We're Going to Hang Out the Washing on The Sigfried Line" playing on an old gramophone.

That's why it's called the Flanagan and Allen Isles mystery. :)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I read somewhere that when the relief party first turned up at the lighthbouse they found "We're Going to Hang Out the Washing on The Sigfried Line" playing on an old gramophone. ...
??? ... Really? Or were you just setting up the pun?

Sid

Devoted Cultist

ghughesarch

Devoted Cultist
If it was a storm that is being held up as the reason for their disappearance, then it must have been a gigantic wave that caused the damage - this web-page well-describes the damage that was found afterwards!

https://www.abandonedspaces.com/pub...ved-mystery-of-the-three-missing-keepers.html
Not particularly. The problem is that 'wave' has two subtly different meanings. The oceanographic one is a a solid mass of moving water. Most of the waves you see hitting the shore aren't, technically, waves, but remnants of waves. Worth bearing in mind if you ever read woo-merchants insisting that no wave 200 feet high has ever been recorded, therefore the Flannan keepers must have been abducted by aliens, or whatever. Technically true, waves aren't that high, but huge volumes of water do reach that high, and higher, when sea meets land in a storm, certainly enough to do serious damage at a high level.

marksourbutts

Junior Acolyte
I think dear Gerard struck it lucky with 300 and has not really found his feet since. He has that air of someone who can't really believehis luck, who feels he might be rumbled at any time. I saw him in an American film years back with Billy Connelly{excuse spelling}some time travel nonsense, not even straight to DVD but straight to TV. It should be in the Worst Film Ever thread, but I forgot about it. I do love Billy Connelly, though,but not so much in films.
Timeline - A terrible adaptation of an excellent Michael Crichton novel. It completely glossed over or completely missed out the best bits of the book.

Staggeringly it did get a cinema release in the UK. I took my dad and we were both bitterly disappointed.