• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Food Scares: Killer Corned Beef, Carcinogenic Crisps, Etc.

oll_lewis

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Killer corned beaf, carcinagen crisps and other food scare s

is anyone aware of thease food scares ever being substantiated, or has anyone got any to add?

Years after the fawklands war in the late 80's my familly started boycotting Argentinian corned beaf as it was 'common knolage' that Argentinians were putting glass and nails and bits of barbed wire in corned beaf bound for britain. I can't recall it ever being featured on the tv news or papers though and when there are recap programs about the 80's or 80's news, but i recall it being quite a big thing at the time as all my friends famillys were off the corned beaf too.

Simarly there was a scare about dlass being found in packets of Nerds (small, fruit flavoured cristilised sugar sweets). Rumour had it, around 1990 a girl had died from getting he thought cut by the littlebits of glass in the packet as she downed them straight from the box. again this myth was quite well spread i think because nerds disapeared from the sweetshops not long after I heard this FOFT. As nerds were sucsessfuly relaunched in the mid 90's I doubt the the story was true, but it may have been what caused the decline of a sweet that was very popular at the time.

Another food scare story is that smokey bacon flavour crisps cause cancer, this seems to reserface every few years and refuses to die, whats more it always seems to be smokey bacon flavour when reported in news papers. I would guess that this is a load of bull because otherwise smokey bacon crisps would be taken off the market. dose anyone know how this story came about in the first place?

I remember being told Vimto would give you cancer.

I am aware of the boycotting of corned beef from argentina by many fellows I know but their general reason for this is because 'them argies are all bastards'. Xenophobia at the dinner table!!

Hi

an apparently true story from today's news:

quote:
-------------
Ananova:
10:45 Wednesday 8th September 2004

Live grenades found in potato factory
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1095393.html?menu=news.quirkies

Two live hand grenades were found on a potato production line in Kings Lynn,
Norfolk.

Bomb disposal teams were called to the Pinguin Foods plant to carry out a
controlled explosion in a nearby field, reports Lynn News.co.uk.

A metallic clanging sound alerted staff on the production line as the potatoes
were being washed.

An Army press office spokesman from nearby Colchester said: "They were live
grenades and very unstable.

"They were old, and rust had started coming through. They might have looked like
potatoes - but I wouldn't like to peel those ones!"
-------

endquote

There was someone in thesuper soaraway Sun (I didn't buy it, it was in the staff room) who found a syringe in the bottle of sarsons vinager.

Last edited by a moderator:
GBH by Liver

Slightly off topic but possibly relevant.

My sis had a nasty experience the other day with a mircowaved liver and bacon meal from Asda.

After cooking said meal for our dear mother and putting the "delicious" fayre upon a plate, a piece of the liver suddenly expoded, akin to a small bomb detonating in the kitchen.

The cupboards were sprayed in an enticing mixture of liver and gravy. Fortunatley sis had just stood back from the plate to get some cutlery. If she had been nearer then her face would have been sprayed with the hot liver concoction.

Could have been very nasty. So, be warned if anyone microwaves a liver meal (why anyone would eat one is beyond me) then be careful, it could seriously damage your face.

That 'exploding meal' reminds me of the time when I visited a neighbour. Said neighbour answered the door covered in treacle.
In fact, the entire kitchen was covered in the gooey black stuff.
Apparently, gas had built up inside (it ferments a bit over time), and the tin had exploded when she had tried to open it.

The thing to do about microwave meals is to wait until they cool down a bit after removing them from the microwave oven.
Manufacturers often put this instruction on the packets.
I am surprised a piece of liver exploded, though. Very unusual.

Re: GBH by Liver

Elffriend said:
Could have been very nasty. So, be warned if anyone microwaves a liver meal (why anyone would eat one is beyond me) then be careful, it could seriously damage your face.

a friend warned me of heating liquids in the microwave because they could allegedly superheat (attain a temperature higher than its boiling point but remain held in a liquid state by surface tension) and boil suddenly and explode in your face when you picked it up.

i'm a physics student, so i know about superheating and surface tension, and thought it sounded like an urban legend. however, i'm a crap physics student. i was wrong, as i found out when i melted some butter in the microwave and it exploded when the turntable stopped rotating. luckily as it was still in the microwave i wasn't burnt, but i did have to clean the bloody thing.

Aparently headgehog meat is quite tasty but is not eaten much thease days as it is very tougth. it used to be a favorate dish of many members of the medevil pesent classes as it was nourishing, easy to catch and in plentiful suply. Squirrels, doves(includeing pigeons) and frogs were also medevil dinnertime treets.

Shearluck said:
Aparently headgehog meat is quite tasty but is not eaten much thease days as it is very tougth.

I think you are meant to bake them wrapped in clay so that the prickels come off - I think thats wat they did in the book "Out with Romany Again"!
:)

Austen said:
I think you are meant to bake them wrapped in clay so that the prickels come off - I think thats wat they did in the book "Out with Romany Again"!
:)

that's what me dad used to do, i think he said that a gypsy soldier showed them how to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really a scare...

...unless you're squeamish about putting balls in you mouth. Complete with tasty recipe

Reviving a very delicate delicacy
An organic farmer in Devon is trying to revive the eating of the part of male cattle and sheep known in the trade as fries, or more commonly as testicles.
Mark Bury, who runs Eversfield Manor Farm near Okehampton, says they are a forgotten and delicious delicacy.

He says that testicles, which are part of Middle Eastern diets, should be on supermarket shelves.

However, he is having trouble even sourcing enough testicles to fulfil demand from his own farm.

The farm had an order for a dozen, but it is struggling to find them as most cattle and sheep are castrated while young.

One slaughterhouse could supply only four testicles from 200 sheep slaughtered.
Mr Bury said: "We are struggling to fill demand.

"We'll see how it goes, but I'm considering not castrating our sheep to increase supply."

The main aim of promoting testicles was to promote organic farming.

He said: "We have been intensively farming to make subsidies for too long.

"I say to farmers, 'Wake up to some marketing and put UK products at the front of the agenda'.

"To do that you have to be a bit creative."

He is confident testicles will survive any taste test.

"I had a few friends over to try some lamb's testicles," he said.

"I didn't tell them what it was, but they did taste fantastic and I do think that people are missing out."

He added: "The only person that wouldn't eat them was my 14-year-old son who was the poor chap who had to prepare them.

"Taking the skins off them isn't a particularly pleasant job."

He recommends lamb's testicles, covered in breadcrumbs and fried in butter and sunflower oil.

Food writer Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall says they are a bit bland, but says testicles have other attractions.

He said: "It is a gesture of respect to animals that we kill for food that we use every part of them.

"It is a holistic approach that I think is very much in tune with organic farming."

He said trying to get testicles into people's shopping bags may be a step too far.

"One step at a time. I am rather passionate about trying to get tripe back on the menu at the moment and sheep's brains.

"But you will find testicles on sale at many butcher's shops serving the Middle Eastern community.

"We can learn a lot from them on how best to use these dishes."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/devon/3651400.stm

Published: 2004/09/13 11:51:00 GMT

© BBC MMIV

ey, i saw that hugh fearnley-whittingstall on the telly cooking testicles. he castrated his bullock and then ate its balls. hahaha. seems odd to be eating meat off an animal that's still alive.

i agree though, if you're going to kill an animal you might as well use all of it. of course i can say that without having to eat any eyeballs or testicles myself, because being a vegetarian i don't eat *any* part of the animal. ;)

liveinabin said:
Which supermarket was that?

sainsbury's. i found a whole load of their products on one of them lists of veggie booze on the internet, when we'd spent ages looking in the shop and hadn't found any that were labeled vegetarian. that annoyed me.

liveinabin said:
Which supermarket was that?

Here is a list of vegi beers.

How many people do know that beer contains the swim bladders of fish!

Do they still use swim bladders to clear beer? Surely they use something else don't they? Is that where the expression "I'm bladdered" comes from ; )

Millomite said:
Do they still use swim bladders to clear beer? Surely they use something else don't they? Is that where the expression "I'm bladdered" comes from ; )

they do indeed still use swim bladders. some companies use other things, but isinglass is still quite common.

I thought that bladdered came from dinking from bladders. (Full of beer and not wee)

fluffle said:
they do indeed still use swim bladders. some companies use other things, but isinglass is still quite common.

Thanks fluffle. I thought that some non-animal alternative would have been found by now. Can you not use diatomacious (Fullers) earth or did I imagine it?

liveinabin said:
I thought that bladdered came from dinking from bladders. (Full of beer and not wee)

Most likely. My comment was toungue in cheek though!

Greets

Study bolsters cancer-red meat link
Another casts doubt on fruits' and vegetables' benefits

Tuesday, January 11, 2005 Posted: 6:30 PM EST (2330 GMT)

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Two studies shed new light on the link between diet and cancer, bolstering evidence that red meat may raise colorectal cancer risks but casting doubt on whether fruits and vegetables can help prevent breast cancer.

The new research doesn't settle the questions, partly because both studies asked about eating habits only in adulthood. Some researchers think that may have less impact on cancer risk than lifelong eating habits.

Breast cancer risk, especially, may be more dependent on a woman's diet during adolescence, when breast cells are rapidly dividing and are more vulnerable.

Still, both studies are consistent with evolving thinking about specific foods and their influence on cancer risks. The studies are published in Wednesday's Journal of the American Medical Association.

In numerous previous studies examining diet and cancer, the relationship between meat consumption and colorectal cancer is the among the strongest, with most finding that eating lots of red meat and processed meats increases the risk.

The new study, led by American Cancer Society researchers and involving 148,610 men and women aged 63 on average, is among the biggest. Participants recorded their meat intake in 1982 and again in 1992-93. Those with a high meat intake were about 30 to 40 percent more likely to develop lower colon or rectal cancer than those with a low intake.

High meat intake for men was at least 3 ounces daily -- about the size of a large fast-food hamburger -- and 2 ounces daily for women. Low intake was about 2 ounces or less of red meat no more than twice weekly for men and less than an ounce that often for women.

Slightly higher risks were found for a high consumption of processed meats including bacon and bologna.

Study co-author Dr. Michael Thun, the cancer society's epidemiology chief, said the results should be put into perspective: Smoking, obesity and inactivity are still thought to be more strongly linked with colon cancer than eating lots of red meat.

Still, Thun said, the results support cancer society dietary guidelines recommending against heavy meat consumption and favoring a variety of healthful foods.

The breast cancer study, involving 285,526 European women, found no protective effect from fruits and vegetables in women questioned about diet and followed for an average of about five years.

Studies on whether diets rich in fruits and vegetables might protect against various cancers including breast, colon and stomach cancer have had mixed results, though no effect was seen in some of the more recent research on breast cancer.

The results don't rule out that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables might reduce breast cancer risks for certain subgroups of women, including those with a family history of breast cancer, said lead author Dr. Petra Peeters of University Medical Center Utrecht in The Netherlands.

But even if they don't help prevent breast cancer, fruits and vegetables, as well as limiting red meat intake, are good for the heart, said Dr. Walter Willett, a Harvard University nutrition expert and author of a book promoting those habits.

"Fortunately, substituting pistachio-encrusted salmon and gingered brown basmati pilaf for roast beef with mashed potatoes and gravy is not a culinary sacrifice," Willett said in a JAMA editorial accompanying the studies.

http://www.newsisfree.com/iclick/i,67851188,2315,f/

mal

Let's face it - whatever 'They' say is good, yummy and safe to eat one day, is bound to be carinogenic, evil and awfully fattening the next!

I might be a lit late with this but it is absolutely true that crisps (not necessarily bacon flavoured ones) contain a carcinogen. And its not only crisps but also wheat based products either fried or grilled or deep fried or toasted. The reason behind this is a chemical that I can't remember (starting with a T). Sounds very unprofessional especially as I used to work in R&D to test food for this and other contaminants. I can assure you that there is some of this chemical in all of those above mentioned, some slightly above the agreed level safe for human consumption. But then again with all the crap in the air and our drinking water, who actually really cares?

Stormkhan said:
Let's face it - whatever 'They' say is good, yummy and safe to eat one day, is bound to be carinogenic, evil and awfully fattening the next!

Everything is bad for you! Everything is carcinogenic!
Eat, drink and be merry - for tomorrow you may die.
:D

Dingo666 said:
I might be a lit late with this but it is absolutely true that crisps (not necessarily bacon flavoured ones) contain a carcinogen. And its not only crisps but also wheat based products either fried or grilled or deep fried or toasted. The reason behind this is a chemical that I can't remember (starting with a T).

Taste?

Yup, that's my jacket.

Food Alert on Cancer Causing Dye

More than 350 food products have been taken off shop shelves after they were contaminated with an illegal food dye.

The Sudan I dye, linked to an increased risk of cancer, was in chilli powder used by Premier Foods to make a Worcester sauce used in other products.

The Food Standards Agency has issued a warning advising people not to eat the products but said there was "no need to panic" because of the "very low risk".

Premier Foods said it had been assured the powder did not contain Sudan 1.

"It must be stressed that the product withdrawal is a purely precautionary measure, and the levels at which Sudan 1 occurs in the products concerned presents no immediate risk to health," Premier Foods said in a statement.

Dr Julie Sharp, of Cancer Research UK, said the people who had already eaten foods that had been contaminated had no reason to panic.

She said: "The risk of cancer in humans from Sudan I has not been proven and any risk from these foods is likely to be very small indeed."

The FSA is working with the industry and local authorities to ensure any remaining affected foods are removed from sale.

A list of 359 affected products, including soups, sauces and ready meals, can be found on the FSA website.

Refund

The FSA is advising that if people have any of these foods at home they should not to eat them and contact the store they bought them from for a refund.

Chairman Sir John Krebs told BBC News there "was no need to panic" but that the products needed to be removed from the shelves.

Most of the major supermarkets said the FSA had alerted them to the contamination "earlier in the week".

They had also removed all the listed products from shelves as well as any own brand products they suspected of containing the same Worcester sauce.

Sir John admitted that it had taken more than a week from the FSA being aware of the contamination until Friday's public warning.

Red dye

It was first discovered in a consignment of the Worcester sauce exported to Italy.

"It has taken us a few days because we had to get together with the food industry to find out which products had the contaminated Worcester sauce in them," he said.

Further affected products may still be discovered, he added.

Sudan I, a red dye used for colouring solvents, oils and waxes, is banned for use in food stuffs in the UK and across the EU.

Since July 2003, all chilli powder imported into the UK has to be certified free of Sudan I.

Joanna Blythman, a food campaigner, said there was no excuse for a substance like Sudan 1 finding its way into food.

"But because supermarkets now control 80% of the nation's food basket, if there is a problem it spreads like head lice through a nursery."

*Sigh*
Another set of things for the more gullible to worry about.

so the dye was in chilli powder used to make Worcester sauce which was then used as an ingredient in food. so the amount of the dye in the food was as close to nothing as makes no odds.
Why are we so worried (That is we as a nation not us lot here)

Back