• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forgotten History

When you think of British Coal Mining, you think of Wales, Notts, and the NE, etc, so this piece came as a surprise to me, especially as the Somerset mines were still working into my lifetime.

The group gathers beside the skeleton of its industry.
By West Country Life | Posted: February 22, 2014

So familiar is this body of buildings in which they stand that the men could find their way around in the dark.
Ludlows Colliery in Radstock no longer surrenders the coal which warmed the heart of the nation and put food on the table of its labourers. They put their hearts into the North Somerset coalfields, and some of them stand before us.

Bryan Mann controls his frustration at his reliance on his supporting stick. The former roadman, aged 84, drove the tunnels, going in before the miners, finding coal, boring 56 holes seven feet long, blasting them, then sending out the rubbish.

David Wilcox, aged 79, a shaftsman, of sturdy frame, points out the architecture which remains.
Railway lines were where horses pulled coal wagons to the railway networks of the Great Western and the Somerset and Dorset. Later horses gave way to a tractor.

Francis Hillier, aged 84, a former wages clerk at Ludlows, and chairman of the Miners' Trust, offers a serious side to the banter in his ear, his sight set on the past. Peering into the boot of his car he reveals a "guss and crook", a rope and iron hook, a device which lacks subtlety and was unique to the Somerset coalfield.
It was worn by young boys to drag coal in a "putt": "It scarred youngsters for life, they cried for weeks on end. Their sores were treated with urine," he said.

"Mining was very cruel, deaths common-place," he says. "There were two jobs to go to as careers, either underground or farming. A lot of people who went underground were very well-read, but there were only these two choices in this part of the world."

Francis began his colliery life in 1943. Then there were 13 pits and more than 3,000 miners. In 1901 there had been 79 collieries producing 1,250,000 tonnes a year, but they gradually became more uneconomic and the last mine closed in 1973.

At Pensford colliery black is still the dominant colour. Then the heavy rain brings a ruddy orange into the spectrum. Rainwater runs down the bricks of the remaining generating house and winding house.

Bill Morris, along with brothers Robert and Ernie Bailey, have returned to their old place of work. The three live in Pensford and for a few years worked together. Bill also worked in Radstock. Ernie worked for Pensford and Bromley Collieries Ltd, the site of which he picks out with the precision of an eyewitness in the direction of the north west from where the storm clouds swept in with bitter ferocity.
"When the pit closed it broke up the village a bit," says Ernie an electrician who worked under ground.

Robert Bailey, a stint measurer stands rigid against the biting wind reflecting on the November of 1958 when the last shift departed and entered history.

Ken Payne, aged 79, is the only former miner still living in a miners cottage, built around 1834 at Whitelands in Radstock. He worked at four pits, starting at Old Mills at the age of 15. He was on the coalface at 17, and as he talks his hand reveals an old injury with the top half of a finger missing. He worked at Old Mills, New Rock, Kilmersdon and Writhlington.

Bryn Hawkins left school at the age of 14 and was annoyed that he could not go down the pit until 15 years of age. He lived at Camerton and trained at Old Mills mining training college. He worked as an engineer at Norton Hill, Writhlington and Old Mills.

Bryn nonchalantly delivers a parting statement: "If there is anything I can do for you…" Words delivered by a man who spent years aware that his own life and those of his mining colleagues were bound as one. Also revealing that he and his Miners Trust companions are still at work just… below the surface. :shock:

Read more: http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/grou ... z2u3DWGUHo

With several photos.

St Piran's Oratory emerges from the sands: PICTURES
8:54am Tuesday 4th March 2014
[Pictures with thanks to Myarch Brett]

Work is continuing on the excavation of St Piran's Oratory near Perranporth, with the top of the Oratory and the 1910 protective structure carefully uncovered by archaeologists.

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/11 ... ES/?ref=mr

Forgotten names added to South Yorkshire war memorial
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sout ... e-26601510

The name of a navy airman who was executed by the Japanese in World War Two has been added to a Sheffield war memorial.

Ivor Barker was beheaded by two Japanese officers in a prison camp in Singapore two days after Japan had surrendered the territory in July 1945.

Mr Barker's niece, Sandra Smith, discovered that his name was not on the local war memorial.

After a campaign led by Ms Smith, Mr Barker's name has now been added.

A service of dedication has taken place at the site of the memorial at Christ Church, Hollinsend.

Mr Barker was captured after his plane was shot down during a raid on an oil field.

'Cruelly beheaded'
Ms Smith said that she only recently discovered the fate of her uncle, who was 21 when he was executed.

"His family were led to believe that his plane was shot down in the attack with no survivors," she said.

"However in 2008 as part of my family tree research I discovered that Ivor was one of the group known as The Palembang Nine, all of whom were cruelly beheaded by two Japanese officers, two days after the capitulation.

"This was a very sad discovery, my only consolation being that my grandparents and Ivor's seven siblings never knew the detail of his horrendous passing."

Members of Mr Barker's family were at the dedication service.

Two other local men who died in the conflict have also had their names added.

Thomas Croft, 29 and Stanley Davies, 24, were both killed during the invasion of Italy in 1944.

I was walking out of an old building I used to live in a few years back and saw an old man looking up at it with a smile on his face. He introduced himself and said he'd lived in the building for a while with his regiment during World War 2.

He told me that there had been an American and English army base a couple of miles up the coastal road (in between Cromer and Sheringham). The Yanks had put up a sign next their official sign that boasted 'Second To None' ... apparently our lads saw this and responded by putting a second sign up by our official sign that read simply 'None' ... :lol:

Teehee

Ive been busy the last few days, digging up some religious building in Cornwall...

Myanmar's Indian independence veterans demand recognition
By Swaminathan Natarajan
BBC Tamil, Myanmar

Statue of Subash Chandra Bose in Calcutta

INA leader Subash Chandra Bose is venerated by many in India

Veteran Indian soldiers in Myanmar who took up arms to fight against the British to secure Indian independence are demanding that they should qualify for a freedom fighter pension from the Indian government.

Thousands of Indian soldiers joined a militia formed by charismatic Bengali leader Subash Chandra Bose in the final years of the independence struggle.

With help from Hitler and imperial Japan he formed the Indian National Army (INA) to fight against British colonial rule. Bose even travelled to Berlin during the war to seek Hitler's help in providing arms and training.

Indian officers and soldiers of the British Indian Army - who were captured by the Japanese in the eastern front during the early years of World War Two - switched their loyalty to Bose and formed the core of the INA.

Cramped house
Indians from all walks of life, cutting across most religions, swelled the ranks. They included thousands of Tamils who lived in South-East Asia.

K Perumal (left) and SP Muthuvel
INA veterans K Perumal (left) and SP Muthuvel say India has a moral duty to provide them with a pension
At the beginning of the 19th Century thousands of Tamil's from south India went to what was then called Burma - now known as Myanmar - to work as farm labourers.

They were taken there by - or as members of - a wealthy trading caste group known as Chettiars. During WWII, the descendants of Chettiars were a community of thriving farmers and traders.

Lieutenant K Perumal lives with his large extended family in a wooden house in Yangon (formerly Rangoon). The youngest family member is barely a few months old.

In one corner of his cramped house, Mr Perumal, 88, keeps a steel box containing old press clippings and photos which take him back to WWII.

"I joined the INA in 1943. I was in the propaganda department. I along with others in my unit did door-to-door recruitment campaigns," he says.

Mr Perumal is a Tamil who was born in Burma. At the time of joining the INA he had not even seen India.

He vividly remembers places associated with Bose in Yangon and keeps in touch with other veterans like the 94-year-old SP Muthuvel, who was born in Puddukkottai in what is now in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.

British 'discrimination'
"I came to Burma at the age of 15 to work as an accountant. I was deeply influenced by Bose and left my job to join the INA. I worked in the logistics department and sometimes as an air raid watcher," Mr Muthuvel said.

Boy dressed in uniform of Indian National Army
Although the Indian National Army was defeated, its contribution to the fight for freedom is recognised every year at Independence Day celebrations
After a brief stint with the INA, Mr Muthuvel went back to his previous existence and started working again as an accountant.

The decision by Tamils in Burma to sign up with Bose was in part motivated by what they considered to be Britain's discrimination against them.

Unlike Sikhs and Pathans, Tamils were not classified as martial races and therefore were not given preferential status by army recruiters.

"Bose did not believe in the [martial race] concept and was willing to take Tamils in large numbers," says Harvard university Professor Sugatha Bose, who is also an INA historian and Bose's grand-nephew.

"Burma was the springboard for the INA's military operations," he said.

"During the 1940s Tamils constituted the largest ethnic group among Indians who had settled in South-East Asia.

"Tamils from Burma, Singapore and Malaysia joined the INA in large numbers. Barring a few Bengalis, the women's battalion known as the Rani of Jhansi Regiment consisted entirely of Tamils."

Highly contested
The INA's advance towards north-eastern India alongside the Japanese army registered some initial gains, but was eventually held back by British counter-attacks.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

[The Indian government] should recognise the contribution of Indians living abroad and persons of Indian origin in the freedom struggle”

Dr Sugatha Bose
Harvard university professor and INA historian
Those who survived the war, like Mr Muthuvel, were mostly caught and imprisoned. But some, like Mr Perumal, escaped jail by keeping a low profile.

"My family members burnt my INA uniform and other official papers. Another family I know dumped all the items associated with the INA in a river," he recalls.

The overall effectiveness and the ultimate impact of Bose's armed campaign are highly contested. When and where he died is also in dispute. Yet what is not contested is the fact that he continues to remain a hugely inspirational figure for generations of Indians.

After India became independent in 1947 thousands of men like Mr Perumal and Mr Muthuvel decided to stay in Burma.

But they were not included when the government of India decided in 1970 to give pensions to INA war veterans of about $241 (£150) per month. It was decided that pensions should only be given to citizens of India - not to those who live outside the country.

Mr Perumal wrote to the prime minister's office several years ago demanding a review.

"The Indian government in turn asked me to come and settle in India," he said.

"But I have 17 children and grand-children here. I cannot leave everything and go to India.

"I am happy to be a citizen of Burma which has given me everything. The British government gives pensions to Gurkhas irrespective of where they live. The government of India should adopt a similar approach."

Tamil community hall in Rangoon
This community hall was used by Subash Chandra Bose to address Tamils in Rangoon during the war
Dr Sugatha Bose also feels the government should be as magnanimous as possible.

"They should recognise the contribution of Indians living abroad and persons of Indian origin in the freedom struggle," he said.

INA veterans point out that there are now only a few hundred of them left in Myanmar who will benefit from any change in pensions policy.

Most of them are close to 90 and have no income or assets - they are dependent on their children.

The Indian government has a moral duty to look after them, they say.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-24851298

Last edited by a moderator:
rynner2 said:
St Piran's Oratory emerges from the sands: PICTURES
8:54am Tuesday 4th March 2014
[Pictures with thanks to Myarch Brett]

Work is continuing on the excavation of St Piran's Oratory near Perranporth, with the top of the Oratory and the 1910 protective structure carefully uncovered by archaeologists.

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/11 ... ES/?ref=mr
100-year-old bottle of beer found at St Piran's church

A bottle of beer believed to be more than 100-years-old has been found at an ancient church in Cornwall.
The bottle, still containing some of the beer, was found at St Piran's Oratory, near Perranporth, which is believed to be among the oldest places of Christian worship in Britain.
St Piran is the patron saint of tin miners and the phrase 'drunk as a Perraner' also comes from the legend.
The beer will be analysed to see what brew was used.

A spokesman from St Austell Brewery said it was believed the bottle dated back to 1910 and was found in an "immaculate condition".
He added the bottle also had a swastika logo on the cap, a popular brewing symbol at the time.

Archaeologist James Gossip said the bottle was believed to have been left in the sand by a worker in 1910 when the oratory was encased in a concrete structure in an attempt to protect it from the encroaching sand and waves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-26660405

I think I'd prefer the Quatro, I can barely remember what it tasted like now.

From memory, it tasted like a cross between Vimto, Iron Bru and Cherry Aid but nastier .... I loved it :)

Somehow I originally read that as Quattro CAR. I've worked it out now :)

I quite liked Quatro - I remember being mildly annoyed when they took it off the market.
No, I can't remember exactly how it tasted, it was that long ago.

ramonmercado said:
What happened to Suzi Quatro.

She disappeared down Devil Gate Drive.

Suzi was on Radio 2 the other week, presenting a series. As for Quatro, I remember reading an interview with Uma Thurman where she wondered what had happened to the soft drink, a fact I consider a celebrity endorsement.

Have we still got a thread for consumables that have disappeared off the market?
There are one or two products that I really miss - Chesswood creamed mushrooms being one of them!

Recycled1 said:
Have we still got a thread for consumables that have disappeared off the market?
There are one or two products that I really miss - Chesswood creamed mushrooms being one of them!

Yes! I was looking for them recently.

When things were rotten.

What medieval Europe did with its teenagers
By William Kremer
BBC World Service
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26289459

Chaucer's knight and squire from the Ellesmere manuscript

Today, there's often a perception that Asian children are given a hard time by their parents. But a few hundred years ago northern Europe took a particularly harsh line, sending children away to live and work in someone else's home. Not surprisingly, the children didn't always like it.

Around the year 1500, an assistant to the Venetian ambassador to England was struck by the strange attitude to parenting that he had encountered on his travels.

He wrote to his masters in Venice that the English kept their children at home "till the age of seven or nine at the utmost" but then "put them out, both males and females, to hard service in the houses of other people, binding them generally for another seven or nine years". The unfortunate children were sent away regardless of their class, "for everyone, however rich he may be, sends away his children into the houses of others, whilst he, in return, receives those of strangers into his own".

It was for the children's own good, he was told - but he suspected the English preferred having other people's children in the household because they could feed them less and work them harder.

Dick Whittington, the apprentice

Dick Whittington and his cat
London's folk hero Richard Whittington came to London as an apprentice to a mercer - an exporter of fabric, graduating in the 1370s
He came from a wealthy family and there is no evidence he liked cats (the cat in the image above was originally a skull)
He became very rich and was appointed mayor of London four times
Image courtesy of the Mercers' Company. Photograph by Louis Sinclair.

Turmoil, crisis, creation: Life in the Middle Ages
His remarks shine a light on a system of child-rearing that operated across northern Europe in the medieval and early modern period. Many parents of all classes sent their children away from home to work as servants or apprentices - only a small minority went into the church or to university. They were not quite so young as the Venetian author suggests, though. According to Barbara Hanawalt at Ohio State University, the aristocracy did occasionally dispatch their offspring at the age of seven, but most parents waved goodbye to them at about 14.

Model letters and diaries in medieval schoolbooks indicate that leaving home was traumatic. "For all that was to me a pleasure when I was a child, from three years old to 10… while I was under my father and mother's keeping, be turned now to torments and pain," complains one boy in a letter given to pupils to translate into Latin. Illiterate servants had no means of communicating with their parents, and the difficulties of travel meant that even if children were only sent 20 miles (32 km) away they could feel completely isolated.

So why did this seemingly cruel system evolve? For the poor, there was an obvious financial incentive to rid the household of a mouth to feed. But parents did believe they were helping their children by sending them away, and the better off would save up to buy an apprenticeship. These typically lasted seven years, but they could go on for a decade. The longer the term, the cheaper it was - a sign that the Venetian visitor was correct to conclude that adolescents were a useful source of cheap labour for their masters. In 1350, the Black Death had reduced Europe's population by roughly half, so hired labour was expensive. The drop in the population, on the other hand, meant that food was cheap - so live-in labour made sense.

"There was a sense that your parents can teach you certain things, but you can learn other things and different things and more things if you get experience of being trained by someone else," says Jeremy Goldberg from the University of York.

Beaten into submission

Some insight into how such a boy or youth might be trained comes from the [14th Century] French hunting treatise La Chasse by Gaston count of Foix... A lord's huntsman is advised to choose a boy servant as young as seven or eight: one who is physically active and keen sighted. This boy should be beaten until he had a proper dread of failing to carry out his master's orders.

Source: "Medieval Children" by Nicholas Orme

How the Black Death transformed Britain
Perhaps it was also a way for parents to get rid of unruly teenagers. According to social historian Shulamith Shahar, it was thought easier for strangers to raise children - a belief that had some currency even in parts of Italy. The 14th Century Florentine merchant Paolo of Certaldo advised: "If you have a son who does nothing good… deliver him at once into the hands of a merchant who will send him to another country. Or send him yourself to one of your close friends... Nothing else can be done. While he remains with you, he will not mend his ways."

Many adolescents were contractually obliged to behave. In 1396, a contract between a young apprentice named Thomas and a Northampton brazier called John Hyndlee was witnessed by the mayor. Hyndlee took on the formal role of guardian and promised to give Thomas food, teach him his craft and not punish him too severely for mistakes. For his part, Thomas promised not to leave without permission, steal, gamble, visit prostitutes or marry. If he broke the contract, the term of his apprenticeship would be doubled to 14 years.

A decade of celibacy was too much for many young men, and apprentices got a reputation for frequenting taverns and indulging in licentious behaviour. Perkyn, the protagonist of Chaucer's Cook's Tale, is an apprentice who is cast out after stealing from his master - he moves in with his friend and a prostitute. In 1517, the Mercers' guild complained that many of their apprentices "have greatly mysordered theymself", spending their masters' money on "harlotes… dyce, cardes and other unthrifty games".

Find out more

Colin Heywood appeared on The Why Factor: Adolescence on the BBC World Service

Listen to the programme
Get the Why Factor podcast
More from the BBC World Service
In parts of Germany, Switzerland and Scandinavia, a level of sexual contact between men and women in their late teens and early twenties was sanctioned. Although these traditions - known as "bundling" and "night courting" - were only described in the 19th Century, historians believe they date back to the Middle Ages. "The girl stays at home and a male of her age comes and meets her," says Colin Heywood from the University of Nottingham. "He's allowed to stay the night with her. He can even get into bed with her. But neither of them are allowed to take their clothes off - they're not allowed to do much beyond a bit of petting." Variants on the tradition required men to sleep on top of the bed coverings or the other side of a wooden board that was placed down the centre of the bed to separate the youngsters. It was not expected that this would necessarily lead to betrothal or marriage.

To some extent, young people policed their own sexuality. "If a girl gets a reputation of being rather too easy, then she will find something unpleasant left outside her house so that the whole village knows that she has a bad reputation," says Heywood. Young people also expressed their opinion of the moral conduct of elders, in traditions known as charivari or "rough music". If they disapproved of a marriage - perhaps because the husband beat his wife or was hen-pecked, or there was a big disparity in ages - the couple would be publicly shamed. A gang would parade around carrying effigies of their victims, banging pots and pans, blowing trumpets and possibly pulling the fur of cats to make them shriek (the German word is Katzenmusik).

Hogarth's 1822 engraving "Hudibras Encounters the Skimmington"
Hogarth's 1822 engraving "Hudibras Encounters the Skimmington" - an illustration of rough music
In France, Germany and Switzerland young people banded together in abbayes de jeunesse - "abbeys of misrule" - electing a "King of Youth" each year. "They came to the fore at a time like carnival, when the whole world was turned upside down," says Heywood. Unsurprisingly, things sometimes got out of hand. Philippe Aries describes how in Avignon the young people literally held the town to ransom on carnival day, since they "had the privilege of thrashing Jews and whores unless a ransom was paid".

Master and apprentice

An illustration of British murderess Elizabeth Brownrigg
Apprentices were sometimes abused by their masters
Among cases recorded by guilds in France was a boy who was beaten with a set of keys by a silversmith until he had head injuries, and a girl beaten so severely that she died
It is likely that girl apprentices were sometimes raped or prostituted, says Barbara Hanawalt
But the fact that masters were tried shows that parents followed up on mistreatment, and didn't completely abandon their children
Bequests from masters to their apprentices show that the relationship was often close
The skill of a medieval stonemason
In London, the different guilds divided into tribes and engaged in violent disputes. In 1339, fishmongers were involved in a series of major street battles with goldsmiths. But ironically, the apprentices with the worst reputation for violence belonged to the legal profession. These boys of the Bench had independent means and did not live under the watch of their masters. In the 15th and 16th Centuries, apprentice riots in London became more common, with the mob targeting foreigners including the Flemish and Lombards. On May Day in 1517, the call to riot was shouted out - "Prentices and clubs!" - and a night of looting and violence followed that shocked Tudor England.

By this time, the city was swelling with apprentices, and the adult population was finding them more difficult to control, says Barbara Hanawalt. As early death from infectious disease became rarer the apprentices faced a long wait to take over from their masters. "You've got quite a number of young men who are in apprenticeships who have got no hope of getting a workshop and a business of their own," says Jeremy Goldberg. "You've got numbers of somewhat disillusioned and disenfranchised young men, who may be predisposed to challenging authority, because they have nothing invested in it."

How different were the young men and women of the Middle Ages from today's adolescents? It's hard to judge from the available information, says Goldberg.

But many parents of 21st Century teenagers will nod their heads in recognition at St Bede's Eighth Century youths, who were "lean (even though they eat heartily), swift-footed, bold, irritable and active". They might also shed a tear over a rare collection of letters from the 16th Century, written by members of the Behaim family of Nuremberg and documented by Stephen Ozment. Michael Behaim was apprenticed to a merchant in Milan at the age of 12. In the 1520s, he wrote to his mother complaining that he wasn't being taught anything about trade or markets but was being made to sweep the floor. Perhaps more troubling for his parents, he also wrote about his fears of catching the plague.

Another Behaim boy towards the end of the 16th Century wrote to his parents from school. Fourteen-year-old Friedrich moaned about the food, asked for goods to be sent to keep up appearances with his peers, and wondered who would do his laundry. His mother sent three shirts in a sack, with the warning that "they may still be a bit damp so you should hang them over a window for a while". Full of good advice, like mothers today, she added: "Use the sack for your dirty washing."

Listen again to The Why Factor: Adolescence on the BBC World Service or get the Why Factor podcast.

Thanks for posting that. I have had the Three Behaim Boys book on my shelf for years but have never properly looked inside it. :)

Rheumatism sufferers sought relief inside a whale

Climbing inside the carcass of a whale was once thought to bring relief to rheumatism sufferers, an Australian National Maritime Museum exhibit shows.
Staying inside the whale for about 30 hours was believed to bring relief from aches and pains for up to 12 months, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.

It was thought to have started in the whaling town of Eden on Australia's southern coast.
The practice is documented as part of the museum's special whales season.
A rheumatic patient would be lowered inside the carcass of a recently-slaughtered whale "leaving just his or her head poking out," the Sydney Morning Herald reports.

One claim for the origins of the practice, which dates back to the late 19th Century, is that a drunk man plunged into the carcass of a whale and emerged hours later apparently free of his rheumatism.

A story on the incident was published by the Pall Mall Gazette (later absorbed by the Evening Standard) entitled "a new cure for rheumatism" on 7 March 1896.
It said "a gentleman of convivial habits but grievously afflicted with rheumatism" had been walking along the beach with friends when he spotted the whale, which was already cut open, and "appeared to our hilarious friend a tempting morsel of flesh". :shock:

His friends, horrified by the heat and smell, left him inside for several hours, until he emerged sober and devoid of his rheumatism.
The paper says the incident, which occurred a few years prior, gave birth to the bizarre practice.

"The whalers dig a sort of narrow grave in the body and in this the patient lies for two hours, as in a Turkish bath, the decomposing blubber of the whale closing round his body, and acting as a huge poultice," it says.

The curator of the Australian National Maritime Museum exhibit, Michelle Linder, told the Sydney Morning Herald, it was unlikely to have been "a really popular thing to do".
''I don't know (if) there was scientific evidence per se (to support the practice) but there was hearsay at the time that they felt better after being in the whale", she adds.

Rheumatism is a condition causing pain and swelling in the joints, commonly affecting the hands, feet and wrists.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-26807485

After hours inside a dead whale, no doubt everything seems better!
(I wonder if it works on arthritis? Next time I find a dead dolphin on the beach, I may try kneeling in it...)

Nothing beats the inside of a tauntaun to warm the joints.

rynner2 said:
The Titanic disaster is far from forgotten (especially this centenary year), but this personal account account has been overlooked for decades:

Vivid account of how the Titanic sank by survivor Jack Thayer, 17, resurfaces in time for centenary
The dramatic first-hand account of Jack Thayer, a 17-year-old survivor of the sinking of the Titanic, is to be published next month after lying almost forgotten for decades.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... enary.html
Titanic last letter to be auctioned

A letter written on board the Titanic and dated the day it struck the iceberg in 1912, is to be auctioned.
Survivor Esther Hart wrote the letter to her mother in Chadwell Heath, East London, but it was never sent.
She reportedly found it in her husband's jacket after she and her seven-year-old daughter, Eva, were rescued.
Her husband, Benjamin, was one of more than 1,500 people who died in the tragedy.

The letter, embossed with the White Star Line flag, is due to be auctioned by Henry Aldridge & Son of Devizes, Wiltshire, next month.
Auctioneer Andrew Aldridge said the importance of the letter could not be overstated, "being the only known surviving example of its type to have been written on that fateful day, surviving the sinking, and having belonged to such a well-known survivor".

The paper is headed "On Board RMS Titanic" and dated "Sunday afternoon".
In it, Mrs Hart describes being sick the day before and unable to eat or drink.
She said she had since recovered and had been to a church service with her daughter Eva that morning, on Sunday 14 April.
She wrote that Eva had sung "so nicely" to the hymn 'Oh God Our Help In Ages Past' and they were both due to sing in a concert on board "tomorrow night".

Remarking on the stability of the ship, which was not supposed to roll, Mrs Hart wrote: "Anyhow it rolls enough for me."
She added: "Well, the sailors say we have had a wonderful passage up to now."

The Titanic sank on the night of Sunday 14 April 1912, on the fifth day of its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York, after striking an iceberg in the North Atlantic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26837109

Illustrations and vid at link. Darien by John Prebble is well worth reading; not just about the fall of the Colony burt also the recriminations afterwards. It draws from the self-serving tracts published contemporaneously.

The Caribbean colony that brought down Scotland

As Scotland prepares for an independence referendum I decided to look back at the late 1690s when an independent Scotland launched an ambitious but ultimately doomed plan to create a colony in what is now Panama.

We landed near the border with Colombia, close to where the Isthmus of Panama is at its narrowest, on a little airstrip wedged between the blue sparkle of the Caribbean and the green intensity of an impenetrable forest, and boarded a little fibreglass boat with a single outboard motor.

We made our way west, parallel to the coast, bouncing roughly in the surging surf, until we came to the island that is still called Caledonia.

"In the time of our forefathers," a village elder told us, "white people came here - Scottish and Spanish people. We liked the Scottish more than the Spanish, for the Spanish attacked us and drove us inland away from the coast and the Scots did not. But there were battles and many ships were sunk".

The story of the ill-fated Scots colony at Darien survives in the oral history of the Kuna Indians, who are the only people who have ever settled successfully in this inhospitable place.

In 1698, a fleet of five ships sailed from Leith docks near Edinburgh carrying 1,200 settlers to found a colony in Panama.

It was a place where the poet John Keats would later locate "stout Cortez" gazing at the Pacific for the first time, "and all his men looked at each other with a wild surmise, silent upon a peak in Darien".

The Scots found a large sheltered harbour with a supply of fresh water. They went ashore and built a fort they called Fort St Andrew.

Three centuries on, we hacked our way through the forest and found a trench they had dug to provide the fort with a defensive moat.

It is a wide gash, filled with sea water, cut through solid coral rock by 17th Century hands - the first canal in Panama, possibly, built by Scotsmen under a punishing tropical sky. It is pretty much all that is left of the colony they named Caledonia, and the town they called New Edinburgh.

Between a quarter and a half of the available wealth of Scotland was spent, and lost”

For even before they made landfall, the colonists had begun to die.

Tropical diseases - malaria, yellow fever, something they called the bloody flux - cut them down even faster on land.

Somewhere beneath the tangle we hacked through, there is a Scottish cemetery with hundreds of graves. No-one has ever found it. ...
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27405350

Not much information, but pretty interesting.

Travel across America by following the giant concrete arrows
http://whenonearth.net/travel-across-america-giant-concrete-arrows/

How did people ever survive before the invention of the GPS? Did they just meander around aimlessly until they finally happened upon their destination? Was there anything at all to point them in the right direction?

Actually, it turns out that there was. Would you believe that there is a trail of giant concrete arrows stretching all the way across the United States for that very purpose? Yes you should.

In 1920, the first transcontinental air mail route was started. Back in those days, not even radio existed that would help guide the airborne mailmen along their path, making it very difficult for them to fly at night or in bad weather. To help them along, in 1924, the federal government funded the construction of a trail of enormous concrete arrows, laid out on the ground along the air mail route. They were painted bright yellow and accompanied by tall, lighted beacon towers to ensure their visibility. Now, the pilots could simply look at the ground and know they were heading in the right direction.

It turns out that most of them are located in pretty sparsely populated places, so it makes sense that not many people have come across them and spread the word about them. Nowadays, most of the beacon towers are gone and the yellow paint has faded away, but efforts are being made to preserve what’s left of these navigational helpers from the past.

kamalktk said:

Not heard of that before, but the pictures answer a question that immediately popped into my head: were the arrows identified?

Yes, it seems they were, by code letters and numbers painted on the roofs of the nearby huts. An arrow by itself only gives a direction, but an identifiable arrow shows how far along the route you are. This could be vital if one or more arrows were missed in fog, sandstorms, forest fire smoke, etc.

In Europe, before WWII created RDF, planes used to navigate by following rivers or canals.

And Francis Chichester, a flier before he became a sailor, invented techniques that he even used over the sea.
http://www.amazon.com/Alone-Over-The-Ta ... 0736612548
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Chichester

kamalktk said:

How did people ever survive before the invention of the GPS? Did they just meander around aimlessly until they finally happened upon their destination? Was there anything at all to point them in the right direction?

Actually, it turns out that there was. Would you believe that there is a trail of giant concrete arrows stretching all the way across the United States for that very purpose? Yes you should.

This reminds me of the giant "LH" together with an arrow painted on the side of the huge gas holder in Southall (west London). The arrow points the way to Heathrow! Yes, it really is intended as a visual reference for pilots to find Heathrow.

I understand that the reason for the LH and arrow pointing to Heathrow is to help avoid pilot confusion with Northolt a few miles to the north of Heathrow.

You can see the giant LH from the Southall Broadway side. An ideal position to view the LH is from Trinity Road.

Google Streetmap view: >click<

**edit**

Corrected and added Google Streetmap view.

markrkingston1 said:
This reminds me of the giant "LH" together with an arrow painted on the side of the huge gas holder in Southall (west London). The arrow points the way to Heathrow! Yes, it really is intended as a visual reference for pilots to find Heathrow.
That Google URL is too long - it mucks up the page. :evil:

Back