• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Sheep & Strangeness Involving Sheep

*From: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/what-is-a-fat-tailed-sheep
(Also includes a pic' from a mosaic of a fat-tailed sheep from 475 AD.)
1708939487284.png

Baad idea.

A Montana man's pleaded guilty for plotting to create giant hybrid sheep for captive hunting. Arthur "Jack" Schubarth, 80, orchestrated an almost decade-long scheme to breed massive sheep trophies by smuggling genetic material from protected species and using cloning and artificial insemination techniques.

To move the illegal sheep into and out of Montana, Schubarth and his co-conspirators forged veterinary inspection certificates. "This was an audacious scheme to create massive hybrid sheep species to be sold and hunted as trophies," said Assistant Attorney General Todd Kim of the Justice Department's Environment and Natural Resources Division. Schubarth also illegally obtained and sold parts from wild Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep in violation of Montana law, which prohibits the sale of game animal parts within the state and their use on alternative livestock ranches.

According to court documents, Schubarth conspired with at least five other individuals between 2013 and 2021 to illegally import parts of Marco Polo argali sheep from Kyrgyzstan, the largest sheep species in the world. He then sent the genetic material to a lab to create cloned embryos, resulting in a pure genetic male he named "Montana Mountain King" or MMK. Schubarth used MMK's semen to impregnate various prohibited sheep species, aiming to create larger and more valuable hybrids for captive hunting facilities, primarily in Texas.

https://boingboing.net/2024/03/12/m...t-clone-hybrid-sheep-for-captive-hunting.html

I dont know whether to be horrified or delighted at this idea.

(But I do disapprove of those fancy park deer with the absurd antlers; they look silly. I believe Worborn are responsible for some of them, adding an air of respectable-ness. I doubt theres genetic altering too).

I dont know whether to be horrified or delighted at this idea.

(But I do disapprove of those fancy park deer with the absurd antlers; they look silly. I believe Worborn are responsible for some of them, adding an air of respectable-ness. I doubt theres genetic altering too).
I'm guessing you are referring to the Fallow Deer, they 'normally' have very large wide antlers. . .
https://biologydictionary.net/fallow-deer/
One time when I was out for a local walk, one of these came running up towards me, it was a young fawn, most beautiful thing I yet seen in the wild - very much like Bambi, can't knock Fallow Deer for looks and style!

Last edited:
Fallow are my favorites too.

But these deer Im talking about are the Red deer, I have a pair or park deer antlers, 8 one side and 9 the other.

Not excessive but many are bred to have more than that.

(Antlers are certainly a black art).

Fallow are my favorites too.

But these deer Im talking about are the Red deer, I have a pair or park deer antlers, 8 one side and 9 the other.

Not excessive but many are bred to have more than that.

(Antlers are certainly a black art).
I, on one occasion came into reasonably close contact with Red deer Stags when I was working in the highlands amongst heather and bog planting young fir trees. Was quite an experience.

Last edited:
I, on occasion came into reasonably close contact with Red deer Stags when I was working in the highlands amongst heather and bog planting young fir trees. Was quite an experience.
Gotta be careful with those. A friend of a friend nearly died after having her throat ripped by a stag's horns. She made a recovery, but she couldn't talk for a looong time.

Heiney, Paul (English journalist and broadcaster, b. 1949). Heiney was once told by an old man of the hills that sheep have only one ambition in life, and that is to die.

Mr Key's Shorter Potted Brief, Brief Lives
Frank Key

From New Zealand, comes this tragically odd story:

Ram believed to have killed man, woman after bodies found in paddock at Waitakere in New Zealand​

A sheep is believed to have killed a New Zealand man and a woman after police made a grim discovery in a paddock.
A New Zealand man and woman are believed to have been killed by a sheep after their bodies were found in a paddock in Waitakere, west of Auckland.
The couple were found deceased by police in the paddock of their Anzac Valley Rd address before 7.30am on Thursday.

In a statement, New Zealand Police confirmed a ram was in the paddock at the time officers were informed.

Another person at the scene suffered a minor injury after being attacked by the animal.

Police were also confronted and approached by the ram.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...d/news-story/d8916cab438b25e90e26acfb07cc9d3b

Back