• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forteanism, Childhood & Curiosity

I can relate.
Having always been fascinated with 'things unseen', the wondrous and the strange, I learned at an early age to take a more cautious approach towards discussing it with others. My family were great, thankfully - didn't particularly encourage or stifle it, although some recommended good books.

High school was the learning curve. For one of our history related projects I chose to research a group of local buildings that had a couple of mysteries attached to them, involving sightings in a bell tower and time anomalies in the grounds. The subject I chose to write about was mostly concerned with the architecture and the nuns who inhabited one of the properties (inhabited, lol).
I used the local library opposite the school at lunchtime to sift through books about the area and the staff gave me my own little research table at the back.

Once my year group caught hold of this I was promptly given a spooky nickname and it stuck! It was mostly amusing (no one was mean to me) but I was certainly singled out as the ghost girl. I was part of a large group of friends who made sure to open up about their weird experiences...once no one else was around to witness it. Naturally, I went on to find boys and music far more interesting so my fascination went underground for a while, only to re establish itself in my late teens :). Since then, I have always known at least a small handful of people who I can chat to about Fortean subjects, have no idea if this is unusual.

I must say though, I frequent a couple of other forums online and the regulars would be aghast at anything even slightly off the wall. But I don't visit those sites for weird chat.

Edited to add: I wonder if having gone into the arts might have made a difference for me; many (but by no means all) creative types have a leaning towards these subjects in some form or another.

Last edited:
Back