• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Frosties Boy Is Dead" & Other Advertisement-Related ULs.

gerardwilkie

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Enjoyed watching board member Max Molyneux doing his rendition of the Frosties song on YouTube. It got me thinking though.. recently I've heard reports that the annoying kid in the ad has now died . There are a few variations on it... one is that he was murdered by a gang of yobs who recognised him from the ad , and another is that he was given the ad as a dying wish , because he was terminally ill with cancer.

I know it's a load of boloney , and it's funny how these stories get started in the first place. But is anyone else aware of this tale ?

More about it here:

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=408170

It seems to crop up about someone currently in the media on a periodical basis. I remember when I was at school (yeah, that long ago) the Henry "Fonzie" Winkler was apparently dead, that Adam Ant had a brain tumour (nope, he's just bonkers), that David Soul had copped it....

In the pre-net days, verifying such info was far more difficult, but even now it seems tricky.

Anyway, as discussed on the link Gerard posted above, the guy from the elephant.com insurance ads (the bloke with microphone who gets interuupted by a dancing pachyderm) is genuinely deceased - he died almost immediately after shooting the ads, but his family asked that they be shown in memorial.

Perhaps we should open this up to discuss advert mythology generally?

I have been told that Lucky, the dog in the "More Than" insurance ads, is also sadly gone, but I can't find anything to confirm it. Poor little scruffy dog. :(

stuneville said:
Anyway, as discussed on the link Gerard posted above, the guy from the elephant.com insurance ads is genuinely deceased - he died almost immediately after shooting the ads, but his family asked that they be shown in memorial.

Perhaps we should open this up to discuss advert mythology generally?
Fizz32 said:
I have been told that Lucky, the dog in the "More Than" insurance ads, is also sadly gone, but I can't find anything to confirm it. Poor little scruffy dog.
Perhaps life expectancy is in some way connected to appearances in truly awful advertisements. If I were Barry Scott ("HI! I'M STILL SHOUTING, AND I STILL DON'T KNOW WHY!"), I'd be seriously worried.

Didn't the Shake'n'Vac woman die (probably of shame), or did I just dream that?

They discussed this recently on Scott Mills on Radio 1. The Frosties kid is not dead but alive and well and living in SA. Probably mortally embarrassed at just how crap his crappy freestyle dancing was right at the end.

stuneville said:
Anyway, as discussed on the link Gerard posted above, the guy from the elephant.com insurance ads (the bloke with microphone who gets interuupted by a dancing pachyderm) is genuinely deceased - he died almost immediately after shooting the ads, but his family asked that they be shown in memorial.

I am surprised. He was just a young chap. :(

He died of a hypo. He was a friend of mine actually. :(

Is he the one with the slightly ginger hair?
Sorry for being stupid but what is a hypo?
And sorry for your loss as he was a friend of yours.

Does anyone remember the 'beefburger twins' who used to appear in adverts (you can guess what for!) cira early 80s.

I'm hoping there's a nasty ul somewhere about them. Or perhaps something nasty actually happened to them, as they lived near me and i got beaten up by one of them...:/

Dingo667 said:
Sorry for being stupid but what is a hypo?

A hypo is when you're diabetic and you go hypoglycaemic - i.e. very low blood sugar.

Very sorry to hear about your friend, Tyger_Lily.

I know this wasn't an advert, but when I was at school a story went round that the little girl in the "Poltergeist" films was dead. Is this true? I'm sure I've heard people say it since.

Yes, Heather O'Rourke died in 1988 at the age of 12, of a heart attack. Also, Dominique Dunne, who played the eldest daughter, was murdered by her ex-partner shortly after Poltergeist wrapped.

And, Oliver Robins, who played the son, nearly suffocated on set:
While filming the scene in Poltergeist where the clown doll comes alive and tries to pull him under his bed, Oliver went through a near-death experience. When the puppet arms wrap themselves around his neck, he was unable to breath and began choking. Steven Spielberg thought he was acting (he even yelled "Keep going! You're doing great!"). It was not until Spielberg saw his face turn blue that he realized the young actor was in trouble. Spielberg ran over and pulled the puppet off, saving Oliver's life.
The whole movie suffered a raft of problems, IIRC.

PROOF that you don't mess with clowns.

Thank you Mytho and Dingo.

Yes, he did have slightly ginger hair, that's the chap. He also worked for MTV and Blue Peter. Both dedicated programmes to his memory after he died.

if all teenagers where as happy and full of fun as the frosties boy, wed have had them all gassed like badgers! :)

stuneville said:
It seems to crop up about someone currently in the media on a periodical basis. I remember when I was at school (yeah, that long ago) the Henry "Fonzie" Winkler was apparently dead, that Adam Ant had a brain tumour (nope, he's just bonkers), that David Soul had copped it....

it was cilla black having a colostomy bag fitted when i was at school.

I heard the kid from the Frosties advert had to emigrate because of ridicule...

Terry Jacks (Seasons in the Sun) had such a pleasant, high voice because of terminal throat cancer - according to the story I heard in the early 70's, when the song charted in the UK...

However, according to Wikipedia and Dead or Alive , he's still with us..

DerekH16 said:
Terry Jacks (Seasons in the Sun) had such a pleasant, high voice because of terminal throat cancer - according to the story I heard in the early 70's, when the song charted in the UK...

However, according to Wikipedia and Dead or Alive , he's still with us..

He is, I saw him on TV a few months ago on a nostalgia programme. For a Fortean twist, he had an imposter who went around performing concerts in Jacks' name when Jacks refused to tour off the success of his single.

gerardwilkie said:
Enjoyed watching board member Max Molyneux doing his rendition of the Frosties song on YouTube. It got me thinking though.. recently I've heard reports that the annoying kid in the ad has now died . There are a few variations on it... one is that he was murdered by a gang of yobs who recognised him from the ad , and another is that he was given the ad as a dying wish , because he was terminally ill with cancer.

I know it's a load of boloney , and it's funny how these stories get started in the first place. But is anyone else aware of this tale ?

More about it here:

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=408170

I live to enjoy. :yeay:

Suprised I didn't notice this thread! :eek:

Aye funny indeed how a story can be made up and twisted when something popular appears.

Back