• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT156

FT156 - Mothman Special - Your Views

• The Mothman Special was a great read - more like this please!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FT should stick to its normal format rather than trying to 'tie-in'.

• I have more important things to worry about - get a life!

• I'm still waiting for FT156 to be delivered!

• Total voters
I'm off to the cocktail bar to drown my sorrows, anyone coming?

Carole

I've just spoken to IFG's new subscriptions manager Emma, who started this week - she says that the delay on this month's issues arose from the mailing house not receiving FT's production schedule in time.

It sounds like the problem has been dealt with, so March's issue should be getting to you a little more pronto.

:)

Strange Phenomenon Strikes UK!

Occurences Reported Throughout Nation!

FT Delivered!

'Shouldn't Happen Again, Says Big Al' *

* Journalistic license :)

Sorry, the following were missing from the previous message:

!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!

They are all telling lies, Emma told me this morning that people would'nt be getting copies untill next Tuesday, so i cancelled today. Oh and i did'nt get mine this morning. Just goes to show they hav'nt got a f**@"*g clue what s going on.

Finally got my copy this morning and it does look like a good issue!! i notice the price has gone up!!! good job i renewd my subscription before hand.:D

Mine arrived today too.

But instead of the plain grey cover, there is a picture of a dog and a missile on it - the missile is labelled SCUDDOG-229. My postman probably now thinks I'm a closet terrorist!

Anyone know what a Scuddog is? Should an august personage like myself be associated with such things?

Got mine.
It's not very good, is it?
Unless your interested in mothman to the exclusion of all else.

I thought the packaging was particularly nasty, and I nearly chucked it in the bin as it resembled junkmail.

I'm very interested in mothman to the exclusion of all else at the moment.

This is quite a good thing because the copy of FT I discovered when I arrived home this evening matches perfectly the copy I bought in WH Smiths this afternoon.

Oh well.

-Justin.

Anyone still waiting for their copy to arrive? Or is it just me now?

:hmph:

Can I have your spare one Justin? :D

Mothman Special

I've seen potings elsewhere which are critical of the decision to dedicate most of FT156 to Mothman related stuff. While I'm generally irritated by the recent trend for FT to try to manage a 'tie-in' with the latest media hype (e.g the ludicrous use of 'Monsters Inc.' on this issue's cover), I actually thought this was the best FT for ages.

It seems to me that Mothman is one of those events which, one way or another, defines the nature of Fortean happenings. Either things are a lot wierder, and much more complex, than they appear, or we're all wating our time chasing shadows. By giving over so much space to it, FT was able to present the case for both points of view.

I was particularly impressed with the Rick Moran article, which had me convinced that Keel was on to something, and equally impressed by Jerome Clark's hatchet job. I was inspired to go back and re-read Keel's book, and despite it being a riveting read, I'm still sitting on the fence about its veracity.

Although I didn't think Doc Shiels was saying anything new, his presence did make me wonder if Keel, who admits to an interest in conjuring, has more in common with Shiels than we realise.

As for Colin Bennett's contribution, is it just me, or is the guy's style eye-strainingly opaque? I always feel that it seems as if he's on to something significant, but whole paragraphs just blur out on me.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents, over to our viewers............

I have the issue but still haven't read it yet and although the mothman intirgues me but not enough to buy a whole magazine dedicated to the. Luckily I am subscribed so I had no choice and FT still remains my favourite magazine. subject.:madeyes: :devil: :madeyes: :devil: :madeyes:

i've also the latest trend to tie in with the local media and i think it's a great idea for two reasons. the first being it gives you a better insight into relavent happenings such as the mothman prophacies i think it's great i can go to watch it knowing the 'truth' behind the story.

and secondly tying in with latest media trends means more people will buy FT more readers means more revenue, more revenue means a better FT ( ahhhhh the perfect world ).

I only got mine finally this morning, so I've still to read it properly, but given my past obsession with anything Mothman-related, I think it's going to be one of the best issues in a while.

I think that, although I enjoyed the Mothman special, I didn't like it as much as the regular format.

B-, could do better.

Niles "Never goy higher than a C" Calder

Mine arrived yesterday :D I would have posted earlier but I've been reading it!

I liked the Mothman special, but I wouldn't want too many more like it. I'd keep the devoted format occasional, but use it when its warranted (as they have done so far).

It is nice, occaisonaly, to go more in depth about a specific issue, but I still like the way FT covers a variety of subjects. Still a good issue though.:D

I'm afraid that I've voted for FT to stick to it's usual format of a wide range of topics, because after all if Mothman doesn't spark you're imagination as much as other fortean subjects (I fall in to this category).... Such extensive coverage seems to be a waste of good magazine space !

In fact it reminds me of when they had a lot of focus on the 'X-files' TV series a few years back, which seemed to be aimed at the 'fair weather forteans' in our community rather than us die hards.

I agree that the FT tie-ins are usually irritating (the ludicrous 'From Hell' one being a particularly poor excuse for an article), but Mothman is genuinely fascinating, despite Hollywood hype. Although perhaps a whole issue was overkill, I found all the articles very interesting.

Back