• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT170

marion

Ungnoing.
Oooh its gone all big ;) ! Actually it doesn't seem a whole lot larger than previous issues just from flicking through it.I'll report back when I've actually read more!

It looks and feels a lot cleaner to me now, and I certainly don't mind the minor price rise. In fact, I might actually get off my backside and subscribe now :)

But, I like it. No doubt some folks will complain about the price rise (it's £3.20 now for those without their copies) but it's worth it.

I hope that, if they're going to continue using black backgrounds, that they use a larger typeface and greater contrast - the web links in 'Konspiracy Korner' are particularly illegible.

But, in general -- fantastic. I guess I was completely wrong saying I thought the whole thing was going down the pan.

This problem with too small typeface on a black background is a something FT has had for a long time.I'm near 50 and nearsighted with bifocals and I usually can't hardly make it out.I usually have to remove my glasses and hold it about 6 inches from my face.

That said,I can't wait to see the new FT.Unfortunatly,over on this side of the Atlantic,us subscribers won't see it for another 2 or 3 weeks.

WANTED: PICS OF UNCON2002

If anyone has any good pics of last year's unconvention could you please get in touch with Jessica at ifg mags press office at [email protected]

:yeay:

It reminded me of the summer holiday specials you used to get of your favourite comic as a kid. Which is cool.

Oh, it looks tasty! Just flicked through it so far but looking forward to
gobbling it later. :p

I spend a splendid hour in my regular Saturday morning venue (Lady Jayne's Tea Rooms - coffee and bacon butties particularly recommended), with my FT, a pot of coffee and a bacon butty, only had time to read Sidelines Hierophant and some of the reviews and letters, though. Will read the rest in bed later, I think . . .

Carole

I spend a splendid hour in my regular Saturday morning venue (Lady Jayne's Tea Rooms - coffee and bacon butties particularly recommended), with my FT, a pot of coffee and a bacon butty, only had time to read Sidelines Hierophant and some of the reviews and letters, though. Will read the rest in bed later, I think . . .
Your ideal day sounds rather like mine.

A regular cafe and the latest FT. A perfect Saturday. I was impressed with last month's copy. I'm really impressed with 170.

I alos noted in the VHS/DVD reviews that 'Culloden' is now available. Think I might indulge. I can remember watching it on TV when I was a kid, must have been one of the first 'serious' programmes I ever watched.

Carole

ha and we, the message board, get two mentions, including in a forum article.

DerekH said:
I hope that, if they're going to continue using black backgrounds, that they use a larger typeface and greater contrast - the web links in 'Konspiracy Korner' are particularly illegible.

They had web links? All I can see are "at <blank space>". Hang on a minute... oh, it's dark red on black. Can anyone see this?

That's a minor quibble though - otherwise, a great issue and I won't even mention the pictures of dead people :rolleyes: The Angels of Mons article was very good - but I'll save my mutterings on that topic for the appropriate thread.

Well done, FT team :)

Jane.

Good one, lots to read. Liked the Angel of Mons article and glad to see that the Fortean Places articles are back.

Felt that the TM article took the claims made for TM a bit uncritically, but that's only my opinion. Still, an interesting overview of the topic.

mejane said:
They had web links? All I can see are "at <blank space>". Hang on a minute... oh, it's dark red on black. Can anyone see this?
I can see them with no trouble. Either my copy is better printed or my eyes are better than I thought. Perhaps everyone sees colour differently, and red is just brighter for me.

Great issue - the extra pages certainly do make it last longer - would normally have finished the whole thing in 2 days - but still have the The Griffin and Forum articles to go.

Angel of Mons is a particularly good article - a real pleasure to read.

Very good issue all round!

I was losing faith in the magazine a tad, and was worried it'd come back full of goths with their baps out and uncalled for pictures of gore like Bizarre. How wrong I was, eh?

You're not meant to eat them... :rolleyes:

bought it today,not had time to read it yet but WH Smiths in Wolverhampton are still knocking it out at £2.80 despite the new price on the cover so 16 free extra pages for me:D

Yogic flying... IIRC, the 'Natural Law' party (or similar) featured yogic flying in their broadcasts some time back - looked like trampolining to me, sod all to do with levitation or anything metaphysical....

And, despite my quibble about contrast/typeface, overall a good read....:)

Judge Nutmeg said:
bought it today,not had time to read it yet but WH Smiths in Wolverhampton are still knocking it out at £2.80 despite the new price on the cover so 16 free extra pages for me:D

I got it for 2.80 too. The barcode obviously hasn't been updated yet (should we tell IFG - nah!)

DerekH - I was facinated and puzzled by the yogic flying! IIRC, George Harrison was a supporter of the Natual Law Party, but I'm still not sure how jumping up & down (they always seem to come down) can help world peace. Ah well, at least they try :)

Jane.

While I really liked the Natural Law party when they put up loads of candidates for the general election and got their mandatory party political broadcasts etc, the Ft article doesn't seem to mention that TM is regarded as a "cult" by some "cult watch" type organisations - http://www.rickross.com/groups/tm.html

Yes, a very good issue. It's a great relief that it hasn't turned into a Bizarre clone.

Judge Nutmeg said:

HeHe, just been through my plastic bag collection and checked the receipt -£2.80. Good old WH Smug! :)

New FT - has a spine.
No more mag binders to try and keep them in reasonable condition... They can go on my shelves as they are. Cheers, this is a good move in my book.

Yes, the spine is a big improvement. Well done!

Articles rocking my world are:
'Hanging on the Telephone' - very interesting suggestion for solving the mystery of strange phone calls which so often pops up in the FT letters page (hey, I get people wanting 'National Express' a couple of times every day. I've told BT and NE, but neither of them know why I get these calls, and aren't willing to stop them coming through, so my boyfriend now amuses himself by asking the old women who phone up if they 'want a girl for a massage'!!!)
The one about there being an idiot god.
The griffin!

(One of my fave FT articles was the one debunking the 'true' story that The Exorcist was based on. But that was a while ago)

I really like the extended reviews section as well, just so long as it doesn't get to the size of some music magazines, where half the magazine is taken up with reviews!!!

I just got it today. (Not bad, considering the usual delay between people discussing it here, and my copy showing up.)

I don't like the new masthead (which I noticed on the website earlier, but I still don't like it in print). Not sure why, might just be because I'm used to the other one now. (The last change didn't strike me as being quite as odd. Oh well.)

I'm only into Strange Days so far, but the Sidelines are taking up less space (bad - I like the Sidleines), and a lot of the design on the pages is too busy. Looks like less wordage, more art.

Still, it has not turned into Bizarre or anything like that, and seems to continue in the tradition of fine reporting of Forteana.

As to an expanded review section - I'm for it (within limits). I like being able to judge from the reviews of books, etc whether they're worth reading. And, with a few exceptions, I've found that FT's reviewers match my taste fairly well. And I'm getting a handle on how to tell when they're diverging. (No I don't just mindlessly follow what they tell me, I read what it's about, and make judgements based on their assessment.)

Wow!

Just got mine today because I just got back to university. What an improvement! The whole thing looks a lot better - the design seems to be heading further from Bizarre and more towards New Scientist, which alone gives all of FT even more credibility (not that it needed it!)

Fortean Traveller, in particular, looks really nice. Also, good to have the "Tales from the Vault" section. Just generally. Wow. Ace :)

Originally posted by Evilsprout
and uncalled for pictures of gore like Bizarre.

Surely pictures of gore are completely called for in Bizarre magazine?

New issue: Wow, best issue I've read in ages. I usually buy FT on the way home from work, read Strange Days on the bus, Forums & Heirophant while eating my tea, articles in the evening and read the letters page in bed (Cryptozoo goes unread!). This new issue actually lasted me three days! It reminded me a little of the old A5 quarterly days when FT would be my main reading material for weeks.

My only complaint is the extended review section. Reviews of fortean TV programmes, or movies or whatever is fine, but only when fortean material exists in those fields. Video game reviews (for example) are completely out of place in the magazine. Video games are not fortean, and there are no fortean video games (fortean doesn't equal sf / fantasy!). Same with some TV and dvd reviews. If I want to read video game reviews I'll buy a video game mag and read proper video game reviews! I guess the page is just there to attract the video game advertising, so I suppose its excusable if it subsidises the rest of the mag.

Back