• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT174

I don't agree its purely an adult mag. A few (or several!) years ago they had a running theme in the letters pages seeking to find the youngest reader or subscriber. Don't have a problem with swearing in general but did think it a bit over the top this time.

Agree the film tie-ins seem to becoming more prevelant and personally I don't really like that. As has been suggested its possibly to try and sell more copies to people who perhaps wouldn't normally pick it up. Would prefer to see the articles advertised actually appearing!

Next month's Nazi theme looks interesting. Not exceedingly original, but good subjects nonetheless.

I've read the Eris Andys article now. It'd make a lovely US TV movie. Really would. What could have been a great article about human attempts to converse with what we see as the creature nearest to us in intelligence was instead just a load of silliness!

Good thing I never read the pretentious babble that is Classical Corner, or I would might have felt deeply offended too... :p

Took me several attempts at not falling asleep to find the swearing, but I got there eventually. Nice.

FT 174 Eris Andys - Whales

Did anyone else find this the most bizarre and pointless article FT has published since that one about the Moon landings being hoaxed?

I mean, the premise is interesting, but it doesn't go anywhere, and assumes the reader is familiar with some kind of shadow-world of millionaire Americans who spend their time hunting for atlantis and killing whales with LSD... and the author also assumes things like whales have an oral history (?!), and 100 other bizarre premises that make no sense unless you're a complete nutter.

Yeah! But, it was funny bizarre enough to have me reading all the way through in growing disbelief. :D

It's quite refreshing to have something as apparently unhinged as the Eris Andys article, as long as it doesn't happen too often. ;)

She's ok for a forum piece, but this particular piece perhaps didn't merit three pages - but I suspect this is the price we will have to pay for the expanded size of FT, so I'm not going to complain much.

The main problem is she didn't actually manage to bring her idea anywhere close to fruition - strangely, it would seem that no-one was interested. Perhaps because it was an utterly crackpot idea. I have a feeling that if we ever manage to communicate with whales or dolphins, they will probably be less likely to talk about underwater UFO bases and more likely to just go on about plankton and fish.

As for why Timothy Good never got back to her about her other scheme - well, that's a surprise. I can't help thinking that it might have something to do with the words 'Uri' and 'Geller'.

JamesM said:
I have a feeling that if we ever manage to communicate with whales or dolphins, they will probably be less likely to talk about underwater UFO bases and more likely to just go on about plankton and fish.
And about all the boat, ship and submarine engine noises driving them deaf and crazy! :(

Bump! Two 174 threads merged (Eris Andys had already been mentioned on the older one.)

[Those particularly interested in whales should see
Iceland to resume whaling thread.]

Classical corner

While we're kvetching about CC, does the layout on that make anyone else feel like they're going blind?

Granted, the marble design is fitting with the theme, but do they really need to run it behind the text of the article? The could just as easily adjust the format so that just the frame of the article was marble. Heck, they could frame the text with columns or somesuch.

And I agree with Taras, the style can be a bit dense. At least in my case, FT is leisure reading.

[edit:] grummble, grumble, something about "Wired" magazine and migraine inducing layout, grouse, carp, moan

Re: Classical corner

Philo T said:
While we're kvetching about CC, does the layout on that make anyone else feel like they're going blind?
Yep

What throws me about the classical corner - not a huge fan of it anyway - is the way the source is in brackets after the reference. Most publications (and other pages of FT) just put in the usual footnote numbers and the refs in a box at the end. Hard as it can be to read CC this style makes it worse because you have to go back to get the sense of the thing again after two or three lines of gibberish that I am never going to go off and check up in the original.

clarence the angel

In the latest issue of FT there's a letter from a lady in Flintshire saying about a tv prog where an angel expert said that is you asked out loud for a passing angel to show their presence, you would find white feathers. She and her husband tried it and it worked.

I thought it was such a nice idea and it reminded me of my fave film What a Wonderful Life, that I tried it myself today.

Nothing happened, but I wasn't expecting it to.

I told my wife the story this evening.
After watching some tv on the couch together, my wife got up to go to bed. As I got up, I looked down to see a pure white feather stuck to my t-shirt!

Oh yes, it probably came from inside the couch or a cushion - but we have had the same ones for some time now and it's not happened before.

It may be a coincidence and I may be mad, but ever since then (30 mins ago) the hair on the back of my neck has been tingling.

This may seem a small insignificant incident, but if you try asking the angels to show themselves - you may get a suprise.

Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings. I love that film :)

I've mentioned this before, I think. We have a lot of pure white pigeons/doves around here and also a few cats, so white feathers are common. I've never associated them with angels before though.

Jane.

mejane said:
Stu, maybe the scythe was for beheading small rodents? Very hard to do with scissors. Er, not that I've tried.

Jane.
Yeah - but still, why not a knife? A scyhte still seems a little outre to me.

Anyway, page 9, Croc hot spots - in the account about the Cannock croc sightings, there's the following line:
RSPCA Inspector Nick Brundrit (or Brunwick)...suggested that it might be a group of basking carp swimming in a line...
Now, I'm not a fish expert, but does this strike anyone else as an even less likely explanation than a OOP crocodile? Do fish engage in synchronised swimming, proceeding in (rather neatly) a crocodile formation?

You could tell I'd had a few drinks last night when I started this thread!

Of course the film's IT'S a Wonderful Life.

We have 2 cats ourselves, but they are house cats and the biggest prey theyve ever caught was a wasp (very carefully!)

Jimmy Stewart, yes? Tries to drown himself due to financial woes and wishes he was never born, but Clarence points out that the world would have been a worse place without him.

What a wonderful world is an entirely different film :D

I seem to have wandered off the topic again. Sorry.

Ahem, angels...

Jane.

Someone call?

Actually I tried this an hour ago...no feathers. But... does coming back on the board count in some way?

stu neville said:
Do fish engage in synchronised swimming, proceeding in (rather neatly) a crocodile formation?
With one fin raised, and big smiles plastered onto their faces.

Jane- perhaps the scythe was to trim his beard?

stu neville said:
fish ... proceeding in (rather neatly) a crocodile formation?
They were following a trail of bubbles of swamp gas, rising from a leyline on the bottom of the lake.

(I bet if they drained it they'd find standing stones down there too. :D )

:furious: HISTORY OF SWEARING FOUND IN FORTEAN TIMES

Yes folks its true, those foul fingered people at Fortean Towers have been soiling our pure virginal minds for years. Unecessary and subliminal swear words are being leaked into the pages of our beloved Fortean Times. And the result: Only yesterday I chased a cat out of my garden shouting "f**k-off and stop sh**ing on my lawn you feline f**ker.

Whilst researching through back issues of FT for a thread in the conspiracy pages I came across this, (those of a nervous disposition should not read any further, you have been warned):

". . . set about his idea of a revolution, destroying all machinery, raising a thug army, bankrupting the economy, taking any woman he wanted and generally becoming a pain in his subjects' collective arse ."

This quote was taken from the Strange Tales section of FT27, (autumn 1978). This small item is credited with the initials RJMR, could these perhaps be the initials of one Bob Rickard and if so then this conspiracy of corruption reaches to the very top and not with Barry B******* Baldwin alone. Conspiracy or coincidence you say, coincidence or conspiracy has twenty-three letters I say.

Have any other readers of FT come across the use of unecessary filthy words in issues of FT. Perhaps it is time David Sutton as the new editor of our magazine should come clean or maybe he is simply a patsy for dark actors elswhere. Personally I am organising an unruly mob and building a ducking stool.

(Apologies: I sincerely apologise for the use of the word ARSE in this post and any offence the use of ARSE may have caused. ARSE is not a word I would normally use, although I might use the word ARSE when drunk instead of bum, bottom or derrier. However I am sober and so would not dream of using the word ARSE. I thankyou).

Of carp and crocodiles

Non-human animals doing things to confound and confuse the big lumbering ape-like creatures? Nah, never happens :D It was obviously an overturned boat (why does nobody ever lay claim to these things?).

As for Classical Corner, I must say that this is the first one I've managed to read all the way through so it worked on that level at least. On the other hand, I can't actually remember what it was [expletive deleted] about.

And as for scyches... I don't know... he couldn't find a swiss army knife?

Jane.

Little Person Caught on Film pic

The above pic in the letters section is freaking me out no matter how many times I look at it.....:eek:

Re: Little Person Caught on Film pic

lennynero said:
The above pic in the letters section is freaking me out no matter how many times I look at it.....:eek:
Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool too. Nothing like a "actually, it could be true" pic to freak people out :D

Ah, It's a wonderfull life is great. Anyone seen Wings of Desire? Here's a link to the Wim Wenders site, the film has a deserved cult status - it's, IMHO, a masterpiece. Just called a passing angel, so I'm off to look for feathers.

Just hoovered round and found a feather by the front door. Looks like a herring gull feather to me but made me smile :)

Fallen Angel said:
TY Cujo! How's motherhood treating you?

Pretty well really. Thanks for asking. Sorry I didn't answer sooner I missed this thread till Mr_Claw posted.

Cujo

I'm gonna try this!
I'll be saying it out loud some time tonight. I expect to see feathers by this time tomorrow.

Back