• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT179

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Oooooooooooooo the London Death Line............

~sneaks off in direction of Imperial throne with FT under arm~

Emps

No, i don't believe it.

Only been waiting 4 months for that article ;)

Lillith said:
No, i don't believe it.

Only been waiting 4 months for that article ;)

LOL - and it looks to be a classic (but too much to take in in one 'sitting' - it'll have to wait until I have more time this evening).

[edit: Finished it and it was a great article - top marks to Paul Slade on his first FT publication.

if people want to buy the main source book for this they can get it from here:

http://www.oakwood-press.dial.pipex.com/books_br-bu.htm

scroll down a bit to Brookwood Necropolois Railway, The]

One thing I am concerned about is the 'Face in the Window' picture in the letters page - if it genuinely doesn't resemble anyone in the family then I'd contact the police. It might just be the faceprint of a family friend or something innocent but it could also be a burglar casing the place or, more worringly, a peeping tom. An earprint was featured in an episode of CSI I saw recently which dealt with the escalation from peeping tom to rapist (clearly it isn't a one to one thing but I'd certainly be worried if it was mentioned to me by someone I know).

The episode was "One Hit Wonder":

http://www.csiguide.com/episode.asp?csi=73

http://www.csifiles.com/episodes/csi/season3/one_hit_wonder.shtml

Emps

That face print was on the inside as well Emp :eek!!!!:

The single most terrifying thing in the new FT though is the hint in the editorial that the next Uncon won't be till Oct 2004.
And at a different location.
Not only do we have to wait an unfeasably long time, but I may have to persuade Hubcap to go to Birmingham or somewhere even further north :eek!!!!:

Hope it is in Edinburgh. Or Aberdeen. Basically somewhere where I don't have to pay for a hotel :D

Newcastle would do, though.

woo-hoo got mine a day early :yeay:

i thought that there was already a piece on the death line in a earlier issue?
(unless im inmagining it :eek: :hmm: )

beakboo said:
The single most terrifying thing in the new FT though is the hint in the editorial that the next Uncon won't be till Oct 2004.
Not only do we have to wait an unfeasably long time, but I may have to persuade Hubcap to go to Birmingham or somewhere even further north :eek!!!!:

I can't go past the Watford Gap!!!! I'm a southerner! ;)

Plus, if it's not at the Commonwealth Institute i don't get to stay at the Generator hostel again! This is too much to take in at one time,

beakboo said:
The last time they threatened that, they cancelled it.

That would be a real pain, as I was getting organised to get there for April this year, and have already had to make some arrangements. (Although it hasn't involved booking anything yet, thank goodness.)

If they move it to high season, they will make it more expensive for foreigners to get there (like myself). If they move it to low season, or keep it in the middle range as it is in April, then they will have to move it back until after Summer, which is inconvenient.

OK, now I'm panicking when I should wait unil the actual dates, etc are announced.

Damn mines going to be sent to my university address and i'm going home tomorrow. grrr.

I got the impression Anome that they didn't know themselves yet, but we could start bombarding them with emails till they organise themselves ;) We have busy lives here!
Perhaps the London and Home Counties Fortean Posse could organise a coach if it's going to be Up North.

What do you make of the letter on page 72 regarding the virtual phantom text?

Please Don't Panic!

Lillith said:
I can't go past the Watford Gap!!!! I'm a southerner! ;)
Don't worry, it's not like in 'Lost Horizon', or 'Brigadoon'!

You'll be fine. There might even be "scenery"!

I hope they do manage to organise dates and places in good time.

Somewhere old and haunted with oaken pubs and real ale, please .

:)

beakboo said:
Perhaps the London and Home Counties Fortean Posse could organise a coach if it's going to be Up North.
Fat lot of good that does me. Do you know how long it takes to get by coach from Canberra to Great Britain?

The fact that they don't know themselves worries me. The last time they found themselves in this situation, they ended up cancelling for the year. (2000, if I recall correctly.)

Oh well, if they cancel it, I suppose I'll just visit my friends in the US again. Or save up for 2005.

Does this mean that melf's belly dancing could be cancelled?

This cannot be allowed to happen!!

Hey, I've been north before, I've travelled I have!! Loughborough is the north isn't it? ;)

andro:-

old haunted pubs with real ale :yeay: :)

lily:-

gives me more time to practice then :D ;)

Didn't we suggest a while back that moving uncon to a University campus (plenty of space and cheap accommodation) would be a good idea?

Watford is indeed a scary place but once you've jumped the gap, the yokels oop north are quite nice and there's hardly any rabid wolves left now.

Jane.

But I wanted to go to UnCon in April to show off my huge bump and talk about nothing other than impending motherhood . . . :(

You'll have to come in October with a mewling, puking babe instead. ;)

beakboo said:
You'll have to come in October with a mewling, puking babe instead. ;)
We picked the 'Wispa-quiet' virtually sound-free anti-vomit baby from the catalogue which comes with a lifetime guarantee. It takes a while to arrive, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run. Hopefully I'll be more of a pleasant social prospect too.

I've seen that story of someone putting petrol into the washing machine and burning down the house (page 9) somewhere else a few years ago, don't people ever learn?:D

The chernobyl story is interesting though, shall we have the next FTMB meet there?:eek!!!!:

Anybody seen my copy..?
Maybe the postman's stolen it.

p.younger said:
What do you make of the letter on page 72 regarding the virtual phantom text?

Is the "doug" noice usual, a sensitity to high/low sound thing or something else?.

It's not clear (at least not to me) whether the line

clearing "stuck" sessions from Crowns:

is part of the IT man's instructions or part of the mystery?

Either way, the mysterious nonsense lines may well be due to inadequate electronic shielding.

Jane.

Is the "doug" noice usual, a sensitity to high/low sound thing or something else?.

The doug noise happens when you have another device nearby. Times I've noticed are where people in a radio studio haven't turned their mobile phones off and someone rings them or when you are in a cab when someone phones you. I wasn't aware that the noise was actually audible but if he had been listening to the radio or music on the computer he might have heard it.

Emps

Made a special trip into town yesterday to get it in Smith's but, not there. It usually takes me ten minutes to find it, the staff and I have a jolly game where they nestle it between "flat earther's monthly" and "fancy gecko breeders gazette" one month, and then cheekily move it to a spot between "ceramic teddy collector" and "Magikal almanac of bullshytte " the next. After a half hour search and asking two fifteen year old members of staff, I gave up and bought Focus instead. :(

Is that issue of Focus any good? It was beside the FT in Easons in Dublin but I could not afford to buy the two at the same time (each e5+). Had a front page on Yeti and inside extended feature on cryptozoology. Had a quick glance but seemed it was a potted version of everything. Do you reckon it is worth buying though?

Seeing as I was one of the posters campaigning for the strayed 'Necropolis Railway' article I did think it was very interesting, but more historical than Fortean really. However I don't mind as I am also interested in history.

Mine arrived on Friday. I was spending the weekend in Glasgow and managed to read it cover to cover because my plane was delayed. Bit miffed didn't have anything to read on the way home but it was a good 'un all round. Found the Necropolis Railway compelling if not slight macbre.

Swelled with pride when I saw Rynner's name mentioned on the letters page. That's our mate that is!!!

I've read "The Necropolis Railway" murder mystery book mentioned in the article and is really quite compelling - as well as a good mystery book.
Perhaps the subject is Fortean in the fact that the Victorians were incredibly interested in death and so on. Their rules on mourning dress, the increase in cemetaries and the great amount of money and workmanship spent on tombs and headstones is both macabre and fascinating. The Victorians seemed to get great enjoyment from funerals more than any other social period.

That is true - what I found fascinating was the huge class distinctions and worries about the ethics/morals of placing corpses of different incomes and character together. As if it mattered at all to the dead, but I'm sure it did to the living. They had little to be worrying about really.

Years ago I watched a programme about funeral directors in the US.

It's amazing how many people take clothes for their dead to be buried in but no underwear. There was one funeral home which sold underwear at a completely ridiculous price because people would go "Oh my god! We can't bury Mum without any knickers on she'd be mortified!" and then buy some at a hugely inflated cost rather than nipping home and getting some pants for the old girl.

Like you say Scarlett it's more to do with the living than the dead.

Back