• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT180

FT180

Greets
FT180 finally arrived west wales on saturday 10th jan.

liked it.

no probs with the themed articles.

themed adverts too it seems.

my only big problem was with that t-shirt advert.
you know, the T shirt that says "I'm a C*nt"
is FT only going to be on sale to over 18's in future?
(if people want to wear / buy / sell such a t-shirt that's fine by me.
saves me having to find out.)

cheers

richard

Re: FT180

Mal Function said:
my only big problem was with that t-shirt advert.
you know, the T shirt that says "I'm a C*nt"
Didn't mind that one so much. Did mind the 'Fred and Rose West' one. :mad:

I know it was connected to the theme of the issue but I didn't appreciate the sativa article. perhaps I've met too many terribly dull people in my life who were into drugs.

blimey, two in a row. I can't believe I actually found a shop in Doncaster that sells it, I had to go to Leeds last time. Thank Forbuoys:)

oh, and heres an online copy of Huxley's Doors of Perception

Mine still hasn't arrived yet, the last one did despite the change of address. So why not this one?

Saw it in a shop last week, but still haven't gotten my copy yet ... (and what happened to the free t-shirt when you subscribe online?)

jima said:
oh, and heres an online copy of Huxley's Doors of Perception
Good find, Jima. It's over two decades since I read it.

Huxley's suggestion that most of the time the brain acts as a sort of 'reducing valve', or reality censor, cutting out the the greater part of the raw stuff of experience, that would othewise overwhelm us, has stuck with me.

Apparently, Huxley's eyesight was terrible and those mescaline trips seem to have given him a sort of enhanced vision, that deeply impressed him.

Still, it's strange to think that the savage satirist of 'Brave New World' who wrote of the use of the Prozac-like, "Soma" as a method of wide spread social control, also wrote of similiar but different LSD-like drugs being used to enhance the quality of life, and death, in his later and far less critical, Island'.

What a boring thread.
I would just like to say, I live next door to a newsagents, so I collect my copy without fail on the 'on sale' date.

Drugs have been around for a long time, and will be with us even longer. There are unquestionably valid fortean avenues worth persuing within the topic of mind-altering substances, from the whole shamanistic,visionary thing, to the trans-dimensional "did I ever come down ?" type discussions.
I'm afraid as an ex-user I find it all terribly interesting.
Just because drug-use throws up some moral issues for some of you, don't dimiss the whole topic. I'm not into Death, but I still read the 'Death Issue'. It is your duty as Forteans to learn about all phenomena.

On the subject of taste, what on earth is FT doing advertsing Faces of Death, surely none of us want this sort of thing ?

Lastly, they didn't print any replies to my letter, I wait...

I don't think anyone has criticised the whole theme of this month's mag have they? It probably is interesting, I haven't had time to read any more than the shorter pieces.
I have seen so many people from my early childhood onward under the influence of different types of drug and there is little glamour involved. I learned enough before I was even ten years old to know there is a better way to fun, enlightenment or whatever without drugs.
The overriding thing that strikes me is how terribly boring they make people, but thats my own experience.

Just got it here. I try not to read any of the issue threads until I've at least had the chance to go through it, if not cover-to-cover. I must say that the features seem a bit yawnsville to me, as well. We've been down this road before, but that's the advantage/problem with themed issues, isn't it? If you're not into Mothman, there's not much there. If you're really into the interplay between creativity and mind altering substances, it's Mardi Gras.

I prefer a diversity of feature pieces myself. US$7.25 is a pretty steep price for what, for me, amounts to Strange Days, Reviews , Fortean Traveller & Letters. :(

lopaka said:
Just got it here. I try not to read any of the issue threads until I've at least had the chance to go through it, if not cover-to-cover. I must say that the features seem a bit yawnsville to me, as well. We've been down this road before, but that's the advantage/problem with themed issues, isn't it? If you're not into Mothman, there's not much there. If you're really into the interplay between creativity and mind altering substances, it's Mardi Gras.

I prefer a diversity of feature pieces myself. US.25 is a pretty steep price for what, for me, amounts to Strange Days, Reviews , Fortean Traveller & Letters. :(

Well, you won't have read the FT181 thread yet but - to put your mind at rest - it does contain a mix of articles - and I thought it was a rather good edition.

Some others disagree - but hey - you can't please everyone.

Back