• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT183

A

Anonymous

Mine arrived fours days earlier than they said it would. (yay!)

Anyway her is a link to a non centr-folded picture of the one yed goat
Cyclops goat

and i'd like to point out that the Plymouth UFO (which is blatantly a lampshade reflected in a window) was in fact front page news in the local paper.

Yes - got mine this morning.

After looking at the dates of release over the past few months it appears that another "special" edition is being planned - as with last year.

Each month has pulled release date forward a few days - so hopefully they are planning on fitting in something akin to the 30th anniversary edition.

Haven't had time to look properly - but it looks like an intriguing edition.....the Jesus in India article just HAS to be better than Mel Gibson's movie.

David Sutton vs Mel Gibson - as Harry Hill would no doubt suggest......FIGHT!!!!!!!

I got mine yesterday too!

Couldn't read it cover-to-cover in the bath like usual due to recurrence of migraine (see migraine thread for the full whinge) but I did manage to drop it in the bath anyway. Mightily impressed with myself . . . :hmph:

I thought the enigmalith (page 74) was interesting - its also here:

tsc-global.com/petradox.htm
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20040427012305/http://www.tsc-global.com/petradox.htm

See the thread dedicated to this anomalous stone:

The Williams Petradox / Enigmalith (Stone With Embedded Plug)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...ox-enigmalith-stone-with-embedded-plug.14477/

I have seen plenty of similar objects on the beach (without the metal prongs) - my guess is it is a piece of concrete which has been eroded and rounded by the sea (or by a river). What it originall was is unclear (esp. as it could have been nearly anything - although the metal prongs might be your clue).

Emps

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that I'm wanting to criticise for trying to fit in more photographs but who decided to put a picture of a cycloptic goat right across the spine?
Until I actually read the caption I thought the goat had no eyes at all.

In that picture of the exploded whale how come the scooter is completely unsplattered??

Lillith said:
In that picture of the exploded whale how come the scooter is completely unsplattered??

It strikes me they slid out sideways rather than exploded upwards. We also only see the near side of the scooter not the side facing the whale might might have got messier.

In the Mythconceptions' Mythcahser they ask about the rumour that NASA spent billions of dollars developing a fancy pen for space. Now I have one and there is a lot of bumph with it and FISHER Space Pen's are very specific that they developed the pen in 1965 at their own expense and then presented it to NASA. Their site is here:

http://www.spacepen.com

and they say:

In the 1950's there were dozens of ballpoint models, and nearly every one took a different cartridge. In 1953 Fisher invented the "Universal Refill" which could be used in most pens. It was a good seller, since stationery store owners could reduce their stock of assorted refills.

Not content, Fisher continued to work on making a better refill. After much experimentation he perfected a refill using thixotropic ink-semisolid until the shearing action of the rolling ball liquefied it-that would flow only when needed. The cartridge was pressurized with nitrogen so that it didn't rely on gravity to make it work. It was dependable in freezing cold and desert heat. It could also write underwater and upside down. The trick was to have the ink flow when you wanted it to, and not to flow the rest of the time, a problem Fisher solved. Fisher's development couldn't have come at a more opportune time. The space race was on, and the astronauts involved in the Mercury and Gemini missions had been using pencils to take notes in space since standard ball points did not work in zero gravity. The Fisher cartridge did work in the weightlessness of outer space and the astronauts, beginning with the October, 1968 Apollo 7 mission began using the Fisher AG-7 Space Pen and cartridge developed in 1966.

http://www.spacepen.com/usa/history/index.htm

from their bumph:

Paul Fisher and his associates invented the Pressurized Space Pen in 1965 at NO COST to NASA or our government. NASA tested the Fisher Space Pens and selected them for use on all manned Space Flights

How do I contact Mat Coward with the info (should I just email FT)? I'm quite prepared to scan their bumph in if that would help.

Emps

I have recently been defending the magazine from acussations of being 'Bizzare without the tits', and I have to say, pictures of giant tumours and exploding whales don't help the arguement.

nettinetti: Interesting stuff - I'm still reading that page and haven't had time to crack into the article but if it shoots down the article then get a letter off to the magazine. In some ways I suspect it our 'responsibility' - the editors can't be expected to be knowledgable in all areas so we readers have to address any potential problems (I always see FT less as a magazine and more of an ongoing discussion of topics: They publish an article, if there are problems or other areas of interest we can write in and then the author can reply, etc. etc.).

Emps

Hi Emperor. Yes, good point, for some reason I always assume that the editors will have researched and validated everything before FT hits the streets - which is of course impossible. I'll write to them later today.

Thanks,
Netti

nettinetti said:
Hi Emperor. Yes, good point, for some reason I always assume that the editors will have researched and validated everything before FT hits the streets - which is of course impossible. I'll write to them later today.

Yep as massively knowledgable as they are it is a very broad field (pos. taking in just about any subject) and so they are going to miss things (and often it is a matter of opinion and there are other sides to the debate which also need pointing out) - we have the advanatge of having thousands of 'fact checkers' here who all know something about something - we can't hope to know everything about everything but spread it across enough people and you get pretty good coverage - a kind of distributed knowledge base ;)

Emps

Anyone care to suggest a legitimate reason for wanting to own a "lightweight steel throwing axe?".

In general though think the ads are better this time.

Davidwt said:
Anyone care to suggest a legitimate reason for wanting to own a "lightweight steel throwing axe?"

I assume if you were menacing someone who could run faster than you and you hadn't cornered them properly then you could find a legitimate use or do you mean 'legitimate' as in somehting other than bringing down fleeing people/animals? Then possibly if you were going to be a fancier knife thrower.

Emps

I got mine from a local newsagents today, knowing WHSmith they have the new ones already-in a completely different part of the shelves.

I liked the artical about angels in British culture though (in defence of the mag.)

As long as they keep publishing good articals like that I'll keep buying it (unless they start an FT babes section.)

Marion said:
in a completely different part of the shelves.
AAh! the WHS game of find the FT, I've played it many times.
Not as much fun as find the Doctor Who Magazine though, that goes from comics to Sci-Fi to television ...

...and the tinned pea story was fantastic.

I've been showing it to everyone I know and they've all found it eleaviats the boredom of their daily existance a little :)

Can't remeber the reference, but with regards to the angels, I'm sure there is something about a battle in one of the crusades (possibly battle of Antioch) where a rag tag bunch of Christians fought off a horde of Saracens whilst vastly outnumbered. Guess what, they were helped by King Arthur and their fallen comrades.

If this is right, it's a far older reference than the Bowmen.

Red_Dalek said:
Can't remeber the reference, but with regards to the angels, I'm sure there is something about a battle in one of the crusades (possibly battle of Antioch) where a rag tag bunch of Christians fought off a horde of Saracens whilst vastly outnumbered. Guess what, they were helped by King Arthur and their fallen comrades.

If this is right, it's a far older reference than the Bowmen.

I'm sure that's in the artical :confused:

There are so menny Angelic reference points in British culture you could spend all night listing them.

I liked the artical because it gave alternitive, more 'fuzzy' references that the Bowmen, a less logic centerd aproch and considering we're discusing the formation of myth then such an aproch is comendable.

Red_Dalek said:
I've just scanned the article again, I can't find it.

I'm wrong then but I've heard of it somewhere before you mensioned it...yes it's a definate precurser just as the whole imagry of the preraphalite movement with it's angelic figures and martial images...

It almost seems the whole of later 29th centery culture was building u pto the Angles Of Mons.

I think it's just a case of people looking for some divine intervention to get them out of the mess that is mankind. I think a more modern version is the UFO contactees telling us that the aliens said we need to do this that and the other and waiting for them to come and save us.

Red_Dalek said:
I think it's just a case of people looking for some divine intervention to get them out of the mess that is mankind. I think a more modern version is the UFO contactees telling us that the aliens said we need to do this that and the other and waiting for them to come and save us.

There's alot to be goten out of a comparison of Angles and UFOs but as a non christian I'd rather look at faries and UFOs ;)

The thing worth comenting on about Angles is that their profile changed after the renacence: they used to be there to colect the dead, start wars and engage in general acts of geonaside. Now they're fat, childlike and have wings or else they're thin women who look a bit consumptive.

I like the expanded movie and DVD reviews section.

Back