• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT183

Well I'm beginning to get sick of this whole FT thing. I tried subscribing a while back and that didn't go smoothly. I usually go down to WH Smiths to get a copy but this month they don't have it.

Has there been a big falling out between FT and WH Smiths? Does anybody know where I can get the latest copy in the Reading or Newbury?

Can anybody (I mean official FT types) explain to me how I can subscribe and receive my FT every month through the post. I used to subscribe to the Beano between about 1973 and 1976 and they managed to get it right, so the technology of making a note of the customer's address and poping the latest issue in the post for him is tried and tested and seems to work for everyone else in the world except FT.

:no-no:

Steve Jefferson said:
Well I'm beginning to get sick of this whole FT thing. I tried subscribing a while back and that didn't go smoothly. I usually go down to WH Smiths to get a copy but this month they don't have it.

Has there been a big falling out between FT and WH Smiths? Does anybody know where I can get the latest copy in the Reading or Newbury?

Can anybody (I mean official FT types) explain to me how I can subscribe and receive my FT every month through the post. I used to subscribe to the Beano between about 1973 and 1976 and they managed to get it right, so the technology of making a note of the customer's address and poping the latest issue in the post for him is tried and tested and seems to work for everyone else in the world except FT.

Laura Scarbrough would be the best person to discuss subscription problems with. You can reach her at [email protected]

I have passed your complaints about availability in Reading / Newbury on to Seymour Distribution Ltd., who are responsible for getting the mag. out there.

Well, I spoke to the nice lady on the helpdesk and it seems that my Direct Debit had been cancelled and so they stopped sending me them this month... which is remarkable since I DIDN'T cancel the bloody thing, and the DD to IFG is still there... I get the feeling round two is in order...

Spoken to a few nice people... We've tracked the problem to the change over from IFG to Denis confusing the puir wee bairns at my Bank... I may well ring Delhi to complain...

Steve Jefferson said:

Had to pop into the WH Smiths on Broad Street in Reading this morning to get some stamps.

Being such a kind hearted fellow, I had a look at the magazines and found about 10 copies of FT in the "Media and Culture" section. You can find this at the far end of the long run of magazines along the left hand side of the store as you walk in from Broad Street.

Hope that helps! As I subscribe (no problems at all for 4 years or so of subscription) I do not have to buy my magazine from a shop but have always seen FT in Smiths on Broad Street. It moves around the different sections each month - so you need to have a keen eye to spot it!

Good luck.

Bilderberger et al.,

Thanks for your help. I'll hop on the bike later today and grab a copy before the WH Smith dullards get a chance to hide it from view.

Bis die Tage!

Reading FT

I live in Reading, and I can never find it either. I've started buying it from the station as there's less places to search - it tends to be on the right if you turn right when entering from the station as oppose to outside. Tho sometimes they put it in the racks backwards, so I end up turning things round based on their back page ads. I generally look out for FOCUS and go from there.

I'm such a girl. This is the worst answer ever.

I was eagerly awaiting my FT fix, not having seen it in Europe, and grabbed the latest issue in Buxton on Monday. It was then whisked off to Switzerland by the Youngest so i won't be seeing it again. :(

I did read it all first though, and was offended by the 'Strange Deaths' column which had a jokey drawing of a recently-deceased English woman. Quite tasteless. Hard to imagine how hurt her family might feel if they saw it. :mad:

Steve Jefferson said:
Bilderberger et al.,

Thanks for your help. I'll hop on the bike later today and grab a copy before the WH Smith dullards get a chance to hide it from view.
I also passed your enquiries on to Seymour Distribution.

WH Smiths on Reading High Street were sent their usual 60+ copies of FT183.

WHS Travelstore in Reading railway station were also sent their usual 60+ copies.

Other shops in the area which stock the mag. are:

Town News, Union Street, Reading -- but they usually sell most of their six copies, so be quick!

Davina’s News, Friar Street, Reading have only just started stocking it, with three copies of FT183.

WHS in Newbury normally stock 15 copies, but, for unknown reasons, were only sent four copies of FT183.

If you don’t see something on display, it’s always worth asking the staff – they may have forgotten to replenish the shelf, or not noticed that all the copies put out have been sold. And if enough people ask, it may encourage them to think more about where they place the mag -- or even sell more copies.

If you do buy every issue, you can reserve a copy at WHS (and indeed, most shops) at no extra cost (WHS “Shop Save System”).

I hope this is helpful to you (and anyone else in the Thames Valley).

LOL - you have to love the magazine, its staff and readers. I now know exactly where to go if I ever need a Reading/Newbury fix of FT. Now all we need to do is get all this information so it can be accessed via your mobile phone and by triangulating your location you need never be far from a copy ;)

I do wonder why more people don't subscribe but that is there business ;)

On a general note I would also recommend digging around (or asking for help) - I had real trouble in Smiths when looking for the recent New Scientist with the parapsychology special and couldn't find them at all and it took a good bit of searching from me and an assistant to find them hidden behind some other magazines.

Emps

Emperor said:
I had real trouble in Smiths when looking for the recent New Scientist with the parapsychology special and couldn't find them at all and it took a good bit of searching from me and an assistant to find them hidden behind some other magazines.

Emps

OT question - is that the current NS? If so, I will make an effort to get a copy. I know that sounds lazy - but I would have to make a special effort to get to a newsagent for the next few days - so would only make the effort if it is worthwhile.

What an impressive posse of Reading Forteans! :D

Bilderberger said:
OT question - is that the current NS? If so, I will make an effort to get a copy. I know that sounds lazy - but I would have to make a special effort to get to a newsagent for the next few days - so would only make the effort if it is worthwhile.

What an impressive posse of Reading Forteans! :D

No it was a month or so ago (it came up in a few threads so I thought it worth hunting down) - I can get you the details (it was in my active pile of books, magazines and stuff but I can't find it for the moment) as it should be available from a good library.

And I though all Forteans liked reading ;)

Emps

Yeehaaaaa!

I got it at last! It was right there in WH Smiths. I'll make sure I save this thread so that I can check out all those other places in Reading next time Smiths get all sneaky on me.

I was going to post something blisteringly sarcastic about placing the interesting part of the cyclops goat in the least accessible part of the magazine - the centre fold - but having seen how caring and helpful the FT community is, I haven't got the heart. I'm quite moved in fact:sob:

Anyway, back to my beloved magazine ...:D

Sorry to be harassing the staff but would there be any chance of a listing of stockists in Ireland? In Dublin FT is in Easons, Reads and Forbidden Planet and (sometimes) Tower Records. But it is not in any of the franchise convenience stores like Spar and Centra. I understand that Easons are actually the main distribution company for all mags to most shops/chains, so it might not be difficult to get it into these shops too. Spar and Centra do stock Bizarre, Focus and such.

I think this would increase sales as the location of the shops currently stocking FT means that people have to make a specific journey to the City Centre to buy a copy (there is always an uncertainty about when as we get it a few days after British shops).

Scarlett said:
Sorry to be harassing the staff but would there be any chance of a listing of stockists in Ireland? In Dublin FT is in Easons, Reads and Forbidden Planet and (sometimes) Tower Records. But it is not in any of the franchise convenience stores like Spar and Centra. I understand that Easons are actually the main distribution company for all mags to most shops/chains, so it might not be difficult to get it into these shops too. Spar and Centra do stock Bizarre, Focus and such.

I think this would increase sales as the location of the shops currently stocking FT means that people have to make a specific journey to the City Centre to buy a copy (there is always an uncertainty about when as we get it a few days after British shops).
Just a suggestion, but perhaps a more effective strategy than posting on the Message Board would be to talk to the people who are actually in a position to help. If you look in the masthead of the magazine you will find phone numbers.
Circulation Manager: James Mangan (of Seymour Distribution) -- 020-7396 8000
(or you can e-mail him on [email protected]).
Subscriptions Executive : Laura Scarbrough – 020 7907 6148
(or you can e-mail her on [email protected]).

Owen whiteoak said:
Just a suggestion, but perhaps a more effective strategy than posting on the Message Board would be to talk to the people who are actually in a position to help. If you look in the masthead of the magazine you will find phone numbers.
Circulation Manager: James Mangan (of Seymour Distribution) -- 020-7396 8000
(or you can e-mail him on [email protected]).
Subscriptions Executive : Laura Scarbrough – 020 7907 6148
(or you can e-mail her on [email protected]).

I get the feeling that you have just created an uncontrollable monster!

You may no longer be on James and Laura's Christmas card lists!

:D

Time-traveller in Uruguay

I think this was in issue 143 (which I did not buy due to the $9.50 price tag), but can anyone tell me the name of the French time traveller mentioned, or if there's any information about this guy online? Thanks.

Do you mean Mathieu Graff - featured in issue 183?

John Titor doesn't get mentioned until Issue 223, at least in this timestream.

The moral of Mathieu Graff's story is, never play with strange egg timers!

Wembley said:
John Titor doesn't get mentioned until Issue 223, at least in this timestream.

I beg to differ I believe he posted in 1976 using an old IBM computer. He then came forward to 1999 and answered his own post!!! I believe that the reason behind his time travelling was to have a squint at this thread which finally ends in two years with over 1000 posts.

mooks out

Um... yeah. Sorry about that, I'm not much of a number person. It was Graff I was thinking of in issue 183, not 143.

On a related topic, my friends are all convinced that I'm a time-traveller myself. In issue #168 (High Moon) p. 24-25 there's an interview with an author named Daniel Pinchbeck who's almost identical to me. Their current theory is that since "Daniel Pinchbeck" sounds like a madeup name to begin with then he must be myself coming back from the near future for whatever reason. Perhaps I should contact him and ask for a taste of things to come?

Back