• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

original_fLeebLe

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
i have it and nobody else has been going on about it, so i thought i would get a boast in :p looks pretty interesting but i am already eagerly waiting for 185 for the magic goes to war article :)

fleeble: Congratulations - you even beat the sites 'latest issue' feature on the front page ;)

Now I'm going to be awfully excited all day until I get home and (if last time is anything to go by) disappointed that it hadn't turned up. However, it usually turns up on the first day of mailing so.......

Anything interesting?

Emps

"Ideas" - WTF? Were do you get your ideas, FT? :rolleyes:
Cloud Arch UFO - blatantly a bird...

Emps - interesting if you are interested in HP Lovecraft. Otherwise a fairly standard recent issue.

there is a numerology article, eye spirits, incorruptibles and there is a small piece on the lost treasures of afghanistan which i enjoyed reading. now i want to see a picture of the collapsible gold crown from the bactrian golden hoard, if anyone has a link please pm me :)

taras said:
"Ideas" - WTF? Were do you get your ideas, FT? :rolleyes:
Cloud Arch UFO - blatantly a bird...

the ideas thing is a bit odd to say the least.

the cloud arch ufo looks like a fighter plane to me from about thirty degrees from front on

fleeble said:
there is a numerology article, eye spirits, incorruptibles and there is a small piece on the lost treasures of afghanistan which i enjoyed reading.

Well you've sold me on it ;)

I'm going to be very disappointed if it isn't at home now :(

Emps

is it out this weekend then?
I haven't managed to get 183 yet:(

I got mine this morning too but I think I might save it to put in my hospital bag. I'm fairly sure it'll never happen, but I sometimes like to pretend that I have some self-control.

Wow a Phenominatrix cartoon that i found funny.
but can any one explain the meaning of hte 'Ideas, Where do they come from?' three page b/w cartoon strip? it just seemed so random and a bit of a filler.

So we only enjoy our fortean culture if it's not random and we know it's coming?

The ideas bit seemed to me to be there to provoke thought and is therefore a rather ironic, witty inclusion.

But then again I maybe over thinking it a bit.

It's a superb issue - one of the best so far, IMO (or since I've been reading, at least). I think that the "Ideas" strip must have been bundled in with the drawn borders of the Lovecraft article; I quite enjoyed it, although it's a little heavy-handed with "vulgar" Freudianism.

T

Throw said:
I quite enjoyed it, although it's a little heavy-handed with "vulgar" Freudianism.

Phew I'm not the only one who thought it was rude ;)

I like the fact that they are doing this kind of thing I just wonder if the point could have been made without using up so much valuable real estate ;)

Also I'm glad to see a letter published on the Eris Andys piece - its a pity it wasn't mine but that'll teach me for being overly technical I suppose ;)

Emps

Although I was a little surprised that it seemed to stem directly from the Lovecraft discussion. Granted, I don't know a huge amount about him, but I thought that he was apart from all of the basic Freudian theorising normally reserved for Poe et al. Must be all those tentacles, I suppose.

Oh, and the pink, bulbous fungi.

And the Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young.

Oh, OK.

Is this the right place to mention that when I was about 9 I had a dream about a huge dark spooky house with a lake where there lived a half-octopus-half-man thing. It looked just like the pictures of Cthulhu I've seen, but I didn't know anything about Lovecraft then (funnily enough) and I don't know much beyond the tentacled thing now.

I didn't like the "ideas" strip.

Three pages that could have been filled with fascinating fortean facts and fables (excuse the aliteration), wasted with waffle about people "plunging into bowels".......yawn.

The truth is, we'd had Hilary's 'Ideas' strip for a while and while we thought it was rather wonderful, we had no idea where and when we might be able to use it.

And then, in the way that these things seem to happen, I realised that Dan Harms' excellent Lovecraft piece - with its emphasis on folkloric and occult influences on HPL steered well clear of the kind of Freudian analysis (dodgy or otherwise) that his work couldn't help but cry out for.

Hilary's strip - which I think you can read as a satire on a) a writer like Lovecraft's insistence on his own essential rationality and b) the kind of laboured Freudianism that has turned its reductive gaze on pop culture for many a year - seemed a rather nice companion piece, in the sense of bouncing apparantly quite disparate themes and styles off one another, to Dan's article.

I thought I'd said as much, perhaps more obliquely, in the editorial. But maybe no-one bothers to read it... sigh.

Sorry to those who thought it a waste of space, but I see no particular reason to straitjacket our forteana into the usual format of a conventional words+pics article. In fact, the next issue will not appear in print at all but take on the form of a spontaneous multi-media 'happening' staged in a fashionable Hoxton night spot. Well, maybe we won't go that far.

I also have to say that you should all think yourselves lucky - I haven't even clapped eyes on the issue yet. Warehouse forgot to send it to office; I was laid low by attack of gout (really); Owen posted issue to me at home; postal service have utterly failed to deliver it to me.

So, I hope it's the good issue we hoped it would be.

Best

David

Thanks David.

No wonder this place is one of my favourites. Where else would you get the actual editor of the magazine responding to their readers?

I still get a bit starstruck when I see responses from the people at Fortean Towers. :p

David Sutton said:
I thought I'd said as much, perhaps more obliquely, in the editorial. But maybe no-one bothers to read it... sigh.
We only read it if it mentions us ;)

I enjoyed the Lovecraft article, but at one point where the tentacles used as the border covered part of the text. I thought the border looked good but that annoyed me a bit.

David: To be honest my main concern was whether it was jam packed full of sexual imagery or if I should really be getting more nookie (it appears the answer was yes for both but.......).

Dan The GPI: Yep that was a little annoying - as the text avoids another tentacle at the top of the facing page I assume its just a little layout glitch and it is easy enough to guess the messing words (they are all to do with sex probably).

Emps

David, it's a brilliant issue, and I for one would like to see more unusual treats like "Ideas".

T

I have to say that this was one of the more enjoyable issues of recent times. Some of the themed issues recently have been on subjects that didn't interest me, so more than 50% of the issue was wasted on me. Was seriously regretting eventually subscribing for a while.
Loved the lovecraft article, nice to have something with some real depth and meat to it rather than some of the more shallow things which have been appearing recently (would have loved to see the Jesus in India subject covered as thoroughly)
Liked the 'Ideas' strip, but was initially worried that you'd tried to replace Phenominix (which would NOT stand!) Nice as an occasional thing but don't do it too often.
Can we have the Hierophant back to a full page please? He's always the first thing I turn to.

"Ideas" replaced Fortean Traveller...

Don't like mummies and had to read the article with a coaster over the picture. *Vomit*

good issue..better than "themed" ones...Ideas looked like a filler to me but if the Ed says not..maybe if you'd used a page for it rather than more..

Tend to agree about "ideas", single page would have been sufficient. Not sure where it was going and I thought it was probably part 1 of something, not complete in itself. Could have had another article instead.

Davidwt said:
Tend to agree about "ideas", single page would have been sufficient. Not sure where it was going and I thought it was probably part 1 of something, not complete in itself. Could have had another article instead.

I have to agree, it seemed like a filler to me, otherwise a good issue.

Back