• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I wasn't over thinking it at all then it seems.

I don't think that you people realise that compared to other magazine readerships we actually have a lot of influence over what is and isn't included.
As Tiger Lily pointed out any other editor would most likely have ignored what was being said by what amounts to roughly five people out of so many millions worldwide who buy every month or are subscrided.
You don't have to like everything that is included in every issue and if you feel that the magazine fails to meet your expectations all the time then just stop buying it. It's as simple as that.

PS.
Can we have more adverts for Absinthe?

Originally posted by River_Styx

I don't think that you people realise that compared to other magazine readerships we actually have a lot of influence over what is and isn't included.

Do we, there have been a few moans about pictures being spread over two pages but it's still happening.
:(

I thought that this was a particularly good issue - keep 'em coming. No problem with a few pages used for something like the "ideas" strip - makes a bit of a change.

Am a bit confused at price - last month the price increased to £3.40 and the editorial mentioned this rise. This month, my copy is saying £3.20 again.

Is this a back-down on price or a typo?

Not that I'm too bothered - as a subscriber I am immune from price rises in the short term. :)

Pete Younger said:
Do we, there have been a few moans about pictures being spread over two pages but it's still happening.
:(

I have mentioned that myself but I'm not going to allow it to detract from what is still one of the best and most considerate magazines around.
And if you notice in this issue the offending picture has been split with the majority over one side so you can at least make out what's actually depicted.

I hate to be cruel (God knows I'm no oil painting) but does it strike anyone else looking at the photographs in the current issue of FT that part of Lovecraft's inspiration may have come from spending too much time looking in the mirror of a morning.

I thought that. Very scary looking man. Something very Frankenstein's Monster about him.

Poor bloke!

Great issue, fascinating Lovecraft stuff.

Once again, I must commend the cover art - which is always wonderful IMHO.

Letters about seeing squirrels and the like (Keyser loves the letters page!)

:p

Keyser Soze said:
(Keyser loves the letters page!)

Ah yes, same here. I always read the letters page first.

I loved the Letters From the Edge feature in issue 177. The FT office must have received enough truly barking letters over the years to fill a book. And that's a book I for one would buy. I know it's probably very un-PC but I find something strangely compelling and sometimes even beautiful in some of those letters - maybe it's an outsider art thing.

the numerology article was good too, but the fred west t-shirts still there:hmph:

[+]anyone not seen this search engine yet?:D

How cute is the worlds oldest cat?:blissed:

I quite liked "ideas". I amused myself spotting all the rude bits.:p
Very interesting article on Macular Degeneration, haven't tackled the numerology one yet.

I found it in Smiths in Bradford- they must have been taking heed of our complaints cause they were all on their own in a special plastic holder sticking out from the shelf and very easy to find!
True they weren't near any type of mag with the slightest similarity of content but hey I can't complain :D

I liked the 'Ideas' bit. The art was very reminscent of EC comics, which set the tone that I approached it with. Didn't you guys have that sort of rot when you were growing up in the UK?!!!

The formatting failure around the tentacle graphic on the bottom border in the HPL article annoyed me. I assume it was an isolated technical glitch.

My pet peeve with a recurring 'feature' of the art design is the 'CLASSICAL CORNER". Maybe I'm old and am developing macular degeneration :D, but trying to read type printed on that marble background is brutal! Plz chng it, kthx!
(Actually, I noted a couple of sidebar boxes in this issue where a colored background made it difficult to read unless I had a bright reading light available. Don't be like "WIRED"!!!!) / end whine mode

Mischa said:
Wow a Phenominatrix cartoon that i found funny.
but can any one explain the meaning of hte 'Ideas, Where do they come from?' three page b/w cartoon strip? it just seemed so random and a bit of a filler.

it was asking questions about the source of insperation...

I had to look at it twice but look at it again and you'll see it (tip: it's got alot of sophisticatted dick jokes.)

I realy, realy liked 'Ideas.'

It wasn't fragmentory but complete in it's own little way and I hope it's the first of menny uses of artworks to expolre Fortean Issues and ideas rather than just articals.

Spook said:
I hate to be cruel (God knows I'm no oil painting) but does it strike anyone else looking at the photographs in the current issue of FT that part of Lovecraft's inspiration may have come from spending too much time looking in the mirror of a morning.

I thought the same and showed the picture to a friend who remarked 'bloody hell! No wonder he wrote such disdurbing stories!'

I thought I was just shallow.

I've not read any of the articals yet...

I was surprised to find a modern article about Lovecraft which failed to
address the way in which his fear of otherness can be construed as
racism. Red Hook is a classic instance.

I am aware of the argument that the narratives should be regarded
as the first person narratives of diseased minds, but does Lovecraft
anywhere show signs of a broader view? :confused:

James Whitehead said:
I was surprised to find a modern article about Lovecraft which failed to
address the way in which his fear of otherness can be construed as
racism. Red Hook is a classic instance.

I am aware of the argument that the narratives should be regarded
as the first person narratives of diseased minds, but does Lovecraft
anywhere show signs of a broader view? :confused:

No he dosn't.

Calling him a racist is being rather kind (cripto fascist is the term I usualy employ.)

You can see eugenics at play in his lititure. That's probibly the most chilling thing about it, the thing with isn't easly controled within the confinds of fiction.

Ok, we used to get Ancient American because I'm a total addict for paranormal stories. I've never really cared whether they were real or not, tell me a funny/engaging story and you'll have my attention for a few minutes at least.

So, I cancel Ancient American and subscribe to Fortean Times. Do I ever see it? No! Is it because it doesn't come on time? No! It's because spouse is a total addict. He's got the last four months squirreled away.

Thank you Fortean Times for bringing my engineer husband and I to common grounds at last. I love the way you balance strange news with disbelief/unbelief. Cheers!

This issue will always occupy a special place in my heart because here I am spending a weekend at the ends of the Earth (well... just outside of Fargo, North Dakota :eek!!!!: , if one wishes to be technical about it) and found a copy with relative ease. Talk about widely distributed!!!!!! :cool: :)

Back