• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT199

liveinabin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Arrived this morning.
Seems to be a War of the Worlds / HG Wells Special.

Mine arrived very early this morning. I was beginning to wonder if the milkman brings it, but he's a mate of ours and would've mentioned it.

Unless they had told him not to.......... :shock:

The 'Sidelines' on the Stange Days pages are excellent. Toilet demons, Mel Blanc, a grisly chimp attack.... 8)

Mine came this morning, love the insectoid style Martian War Machine on the cover. I always thought that the tripods should look biomechanical

greets

re competition

without wanting the answer the second question asks which fictious news agency reported the landings?

is it the same in the book, the radio play and the film adaptations?

mal

I have no idea. Guess I won't be entering that competition.

Mine arrived just now. I'm still sniffing the ink, and haven't gotten past piano man yet.

Hooray! The Woking Martian sculpture gets some exposure (page 37)!

Got mine - looks like good stuff again. Just flicking through I did find the piece on getting ordained online a bit odd - it seemed like rather old news. I have my UCL ordination certificate around here somewhere and I did it eight years ago (or something).

And top marks to FT for printing Stan Gooch's letter!!!

I know hes been peddling these ideas for a while and spoke about them at UnCon 2003 (and got a poor reception):

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 941#150941

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 902#206902

but I mean really. Where does one start?

Neanderthals were lefted handed, had sex all the time and were ruled by women?

There are more left handed people in China because they are left wing in their politics?

One would have to say: "State your sources" - I assume the reply would be read my book "Citiies of Dreams" although oddly he has two books out by that name (as far as I can tell) with different straplines: "When Women Ruled the Earth" and "The Rich Legancy of Neanderthal Man

You can find an exceprt of the Neanderthal book from his page (as well as links to buying it as it seems tricky to get hold off - the other one is at Amazon):

http://stangooch.tripod.com

This probably belongs on another thread but the excerpt doesn't exactly show the claimed "painstaking scholarship":

http://stangooch.tripod.com/books.html#cities

but has things like:

We may picture Cro-Magnon as a young, confident individual: a very tall, skilled hunter and fighter, and extremely talented with it — the range of exquisite flint tools Cro-Magnon produced, much superior to the merely adequate tools of Neanderthal, is already strong evidence for that claim — probably already having developed the kind of warrior ethos described, say, in the Arthurian legends. In all further probability he was a sun-worshipper, in any case a creature of the daylight, the open plains (hence his tallness, of course), and the summer: probably again believing himself to be the only type of man in existence. But now, entering Europe, he encounters a to him physically and wholly repulsive type of man, short, barrel-bodied, ugly — a type culminating in Classic Neanderthal, a truly monstrous adaptation of the general Neanderthal type to extreme ice-age conditions — who lives mainly by night, who worships the moon (who in homage to it drinks human blood, but that’s the least of it, even menstrual blood isn’t the worst of it), in short, a type of man whose very innate, biological instincts, let alone his culture, are the utter opposite of those of Cro-Magnon. (Why, even when submitting in combat, instead of bowing the head, or kneeling, they present the naked buttocks, as indeed they do to the very altar when at prayer.)

www.crowstreetpress.com/teasers/cities_x.html

Where to start?

[edit; Well I have started over in the Neanderthal thread where hthis has come up before:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 734#551734 ]

At the risk of getting very specific the full sized b&w illustration of a martian war machine on page 43 is really great.

A Martian War Machine Contemplates The Drunken Crowd. by Alvin Correa.

Well found that picture editor!

May do a scan...

I get back home from a two week holiday, deprived of FTMB contact ... and there's my FT 199 waiting for me.

:blissed:

Good issue - I agree about the Gooch letter Emp. Anyhoo, sadly, only one lousy book reviewed. As previously mentioned, I love reading the destroying reviews :twisted:

Well I was very impressed by the simulacra cloud-face on page 71. Those puffy and horrible features are unmistakable. Nature imitating Beckjord? :twisted:

James Whitehead said:
Well I was very impressed by the simulacra cloud-face on page 71. Those puffy and horrible features are unmistakable. Nature imitating Beckjord? :twisted:

it might be penrod, looking out for bunny rabbits tho ;)

Did anyone else get a free horror DVD of a film called 'Popcorn' stuck to the front of their FT199. Just asking, as no one has mentioned it. Was it only me?

Scarlettt said:
Did anyone else get a free horror DVD of a film called 'Popcorn' stuck to the front of their FT199. Just asking, as no one has mentioned it. Was it only me?
No :(

It was only you Scarlett.
:D
I'd record all the details, such as where purchased, the film production etc. then type it all up for the It Happened To Me.
:)

Was the film any good, by the way?

Good God man, where do you imagine I get time to watch DVDs? :lol: But I will over the weekend, so I can update you all.

I bought it in Easons in Athlone, Co Westmeath. Easons would be the Irish equivalent of WH Smith I suppose. I've never been in that branch before, was just passing through and checked to see if FT was in.

'Popcorn' seems to be some 1950s type horror film, is described as a 'cult classic' on the box.

All I can think is that some shop assistant made a mistake and stuck the DVDs on to FT and not some other publication. I thought it a bit strange it was not mentioned anywhere in FT199.

Scarlettt said:

Is this the 1991 slasher movie Popcorn or the awful 1969 Popcorn with the Bee-gees?

Good God man, where do you imagine I get time to watch DVDs? :lol: But I will over the weekend, so I can update you all.

I bought it in Easons in Athlone, Co Westmeath. Easons would be the Irish equivalent of WH Smith I suppose. I've never been in that branch before, was just passing through and checked to see if FT was in.

'Popcorn' seems to be some 1950s type horror film, is described as a 'cult classic' on the box.

All I can think is that some shop assistant made a mistake and stuck the DVDs on to FT and not some other publication. I thought it a bit strange it was not mentioned anywhere in FT199.

the cover wouldve been even better if it was embossed/raised, so the martain stood proud

greets

scarlett

re the FT DVD - does the DVD say it's a freebie from FT?

(just in case it came from another mag and got stuck on the FT by mistake)

mal

No, but it has the 'not for resale' tag you get on free things with magazines. I had a glance over the likely magazines in a Dublin Easons yesterday but could see no magazine with the Popcorn video. All a deep dark mystery :)

Has anyone got a good - excellent condition 199 they want to sell? Please PM me if you have, I'll pay over the odds for it. Well, I did pay for it already cos I subscribe, but I never received it and apparently they don't have any to send me. So my complete collection from Issue 70 to 200 now is missing a 199.

Back