• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
greets

very true stormy

more likely they'd fax a copy to the local newspaper or the currant bun or the screws of the world

mal

Liveinabin said: "If you don't live in the UK you wouldn't really care about a UK TV programme."

So only US viewers care about The X-Files, Star Trek, Lost, Buffy and so on? I'm sure that's not what you meant, but it is pretty telling in terms of a passive sort of acceptance of the stranglehold of US product on British screens and the lack of support for homegrown product that often scuppers anything half interesting getting made here. FT's coverage might even alert our dear US readers that there is an interesting show out there that they might like to check out. A good thing, in my book.
Afterlife has already been shown in Australia (rather oddly) to good reviews. If it did manage to find an audience in the US (possibly on DVD) that can only be good news for future UK productions dealing with fortean material.

"HOw much did ITV pay?"

Not a sausage - we never, ever accept payment to run articles. The decision to talk to Steve about Afterlife was mine (so blame me), based on the subject matter of the show and the fact that Steve wrote Ghostwatch (a key bit of fortean TV if ever there was one). Also, he's always been a good friend of (and excellent contributor to) FT.

And it was Hallowe'en - so we wanted a spooky cover!

Dr_David_Sutton said:
"HOw much did ITV pay?"

Not a sausage - we never, ever accept payment to run articles. The decision to talk to Steve about Afterlife was mine (so blame me), based on the subject matter of the show and the fact that Steve wrote Ghostwatch (a key bit of fortean TV if ever there was one). Also, he's always been a good friend of (and excellent contributor to) FT.

I saw it more as the Fortean connection rather than a shameless plug for ITV.

Glad to see not so much rubbish UFO pap again, although I must admit the UFO section on, er, UFOs ( :D ) and their rational explainations kept me reading to the end which is quite Fortean in itself!!

Sorry T-L, we've got the 25th anniversary of the Rendlesham Incident to 'celebrate' next issue - so may be a bit ufological for your liking. Plenty of other stuff though - and the Ark of the Covenant, Lily Dale and Rudolf Steiner all looming up in the near future.

greets

talking of rendelsham

i notice in the latest issue of N*x*s that andrew pike has a new book out called:

"Hidden Agenda - Forbidden Science: UFOs secrets and lies. the scientific investigation behind rendelsham and other ufo encounters" pub by DMB.

will this be reviewed in the next ish?

mal

Dr_David_Sutton said:
Sorry T-L, we've got the 25th anniversary of the Rendlesham Incident to 'celebrate' next issue - so may be a bit ufological for your liking. Plenty of other stuff though - and the Ark of the Covenant, Lily Dale and Rudolf Steiner all looming up in the near future.

Well, as you've been a total gentleman and replied personally to me Dr David and 203 and 202 have been completely splendid issues, you may not hear me complain too loudly. ;)

Dr_David_Sutton said:
Some blurry picture of half some moist kid who looks chuffed off - and a kid that will not be recognised by anyone who'd not seen Afterlife.

Eeek!
You know, you can go too far on this scary stuff at halloween.

Hmmm....is it just me, or do a lot of 'fortean' articles now smack a little bit of the 'let us posit culture' school of thought. I don't want to be nasty (coz I love, in probably an unhealthy way, my monthly fix of FT) but the undercurrent of 'media style' (ooh now there's a weighty degree) theories of sociology (also a pretty weak subject) and post-structuralist/constructivist foolishness and 'pop' psychology is starting to wear a bit. I like reports of high ( and low) strangeness - and regardless of any sceptisism that I may have, am always interested to read the articles. However, some (which will remain nameless) articles have 'sounded' closer to what I would have expected in something like UFO mag (if ya get my drift). Perhaps I am just cynical and mean, but when a report describes himself as a 'writer and parent', I get the urge to do bad things... :lol:

This is an excellent issue. The 3 Church Lane reminded me of an article in the past few years, Iverson Cottage I think. Has anyone seriouly looked at the connection between electricity and all the other "manifestations"?

Have to admit, I'm not much for the UFO stuff. But recent issues have handled it pretty well. I liked the piece on dealing with skeptics.

Liveinabin does have a valid point. While X-files, Buffy, ad nauseum flows to the UK, Afterlife probably will not show up here any time soon, if at all. In my area (north cnetral Florida) the only UK shows we see are BBC World News and a selection of old comedies. So excuse a bit of cynicism on the part of some US readers.

hedgewizard1 said:
This is an excellent issue. The 3 Church Lane reminded me of an article in the past few years, Iverson Cottage I think. Has anyone seriouly looked at the connection between electricity and all the other "manifestations"?

I did start a thread on it to see if there was any other information:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23799

Nothing yet but its early days.

Just got my copy, so please excuse the tardiness of this post. I was displeased by the double page spread of bipedal animals - both photos could easily have fitted onto a single page, freeing up space for more inappropriate adverts... ;)

Perhaps a little too much TV and Film coverage this time round. Four pages of Phantasm (hooray!) and four pages of Afterlife (yawn) in the same issue seems a bit excessive. The FT bills itself as "the world of strange phenomena" not "the world of strange TV programmes and films".

Also, I'm a little disappointed that the UFO files hasn't bothered discussing the recent rash of flying saucer reports from Bracknell - surely a better use of the space than that silly Robbie Williams piece?

Dr_David_Sutton said:
Sorry T-L, we've got the 25th anniversary of the Rendlesham Incident to 'celebrate' next issue - so may be a bit ufological for your liking.

So naturally FT will have an artical about zooform phenomina, as this is one of the main theorys of what the Rendlesham insident may have been caused by (along with Alien's and lighthouses etc)?

I am concerned that FT dose have too much content related to fortean films and tv series though, by all means if it gets a lot of extra readers in have an article on fortean media but if it seams to come at the expense of having real fortean meat in the mag then it's alienateing the core readers who buy the mag every month rather than because the shop had sold out of empire, heat or TV quick by the time they got there.

I know it might seem easy for me to moan as I don't have felix dennis phoning me up all the time demanding I sell more copies, but I've been buying the mag over 10 years. My favorate issue was the death issue of a few years back, It covered a good range of different fortean fields conected by the concept. Anything like that in the pipeline?

Back