• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT217

TheQuixote

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
It turned up about 20 mins ago!

Looks pretty good from just checking out the front cover but I haven't had chance to flick through the inside yet:

• Tesla - Master of Lightning, Mad Scientist or Misunderstood Genius: The truth about Nikolai Tesla

Thirsty Gods - milk drinking miracle grips India

Exit the Dragon - What really killed Bruce Lee?

Jumbo-Sized Geniuses - Painting pachyderms and talking elephants

There's also: Scottish Ghost Stories, Electrical abductions, New Age saucers and IgNobel awards.

:( It'll be all the way over in my hometown - my copy, that is.

Yup, mine's here, and it looks EXACTLY like the sort of thing James'd most enjoy. Could've been written entirely for him, in fact. 8)

It's just arrived here and I've got a day off to read it in. I might run the bath now! Is a bath at half one on a Monday just too decedent?

No, not at all. In fact, I bet James'd like run a bath too, and pour himself a long drink of his choice, in order to do justice to this month's most excellent issue. ;)

We could probably have nipped round, got James a couple of days free and left lots of Chinese food in the fridge so he can devote a couple of whole days to reading it.

Got mine - looks good. Can't wait to read the Tesla one but I just don't need a poo at the moment. I hope one hurries up and makes an appearance.

I sympathise, Emps - there's never a really violent bowel movement when you need one, is there?

prunes.jpg
;)

Looking forward to reading the New Age Saucer story, looks good. Also, the Hexham Heads letter is great and could easily have made a forum article. Following on from it, does anyone know where the Hexham Heads are now? Another mystery.

On the downside, the Sidelines story about trapping testicles in the dekchair is an urban myth, isn't it? I'm sure I've read it before.

I thought there were some really good pieces in this month's issue. First time in a while that I read it cover to cover in one sitting.

You bastards! Ah well, I'll enjoy it when the time comes.

I am intrigued by the new self-destructing-paper gimmick. Apparently, the magazine needs to be unwrapped and all the pages thoroughly aired immediately. Otherwise, the paper begins to deteriorate and the text will become unreadable within, oooh, a couple of days.

I believe the idea is to promote the annual CD compendium. It's a good idea in principle, but it may backfire in terms of commercial revenue when advertisers hear about the Night Of The Demon factor. ;)

I was intrigued by the inner/outer back cover ad for the amazing book which will explain so much...

There's a 1-800 'toll free' number, which, AFAIK, only works in the States. So how many copies of FT sell in the States as opposed to the UK? Does the free shipping apply to the UK? Or has someone maybe made a slight boo-boo, selling US ads to a (predominantly) UK mag?

(BTW, I don't intend purchasing the book, at least not until 'The Science of Extraterrestrials' has ET as co-author... :roll: )

(PS I also appreciate that the advertising revenue keeps my subs cost down - keep it up, Dennis subs/advertising dept! ;) )

Overall, a good issue, better than some of late.

DerekH16 said:
(PS I also appreciate that the advertising revenue keeps my subs cost down - keep it up, Dennis subs/advertising dept! ;) )
I heartily agree.

BTW, my copy also contained a flyer asking me to subscribe to The Oldie magazine. Did every subscriber get one of those, or is Dennis cunningly targetting us chronologically impaired types?

Mine just contained a hand-written note saying "either you start showing up more often or this is the last freebie you're getting" :(.

I liked this issue a lot more than some recent ones. I must admit I'm still very slightly of the school that argued in favour of keeping it bi-monthly, as with the source material available a monthly mag is harder to fill with real quality reading, esp as new stuff is a bit thin on the ground since X fever died out. Still, we've a whole archive to re-examine, and I agree that the Hexham heads are well overdue for a revisit, for a start.

re the review of medieval2: total War

anyone wanting to see what people who have bought the retail version think about it might like to visit here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=121

it's a good game but buggy, and the first patch is delayed for at least another couple of weeks, as people are now doing the play-testing for real and finding all manner of problems, which CA are trying to work out the solutions to.

there still appear to be problems with incompatible hardware too, someting prospective purchasers should check out before parting with their money.

(nb I don't post there but am finding it very informative)

ArthurASCII said:
BTW, my copy also contained a flyer asking me to subscribe to The Oldie magazine. Did every subscriber get one of those, or is Dennis cunningly targetting us chronologically impaired types?

I got one too, and I'm about twenty years younger than you are.

Mine popped through the letterbox on Tuesday.

Definitely a return to form, best issue for a while.

Good Tesla article. Quite timely in view of wireless electricity being back in the news.

Liked the Findhorn article, I read the Magic of Findhorn, back in the Seventies, so this filled in a few interesting details.

A review for Hapikido, one of the kungfu films I actually saw in in the cinema back when Bruce Lee was still strutting his stuff.

Nice articles on ghosts, UFOs, Charles Hoy Fort, 9/11 as a media event and more odd stuff.

The Christmas number will have to be a good 'un to beat it. :)

I just hope they resist the temptation to festoon the cover with jolly swastika-ed Christmas decorations. I got enough strange looks when the Nazi Flying Saucer issue got delivered, in it's transparent plastic postal wrapper.

gncxx said:
ArthurASCII said:

I got one too, and I'm about twenty years younger than you are.

Me too, and I'm a 13 year-old schoolgirl. :D

Erm, sorry, wrong messageboard.

I must admit I'm heartened by the latest issue. The articles are interesting and it seems to have regained it's form. Even the nouveau Heirophant is getting better.

You subscribers don't get to gloat for long these days. Issue 217 was in W. H. Smiths today. 8)

On the down side, I missed 216. :(

I got very excited reading the archive for December 1975 as I can remember hearing the sonic booms over the west country! I was only 3 or 4 so that would be '78 or so.
At the time I asked my mum what they were and she told me it was from concorde. Made sense at the time.

I mentioned this to the other half and he said, 'Well the BlackBird spy plane wasn't de-classified at the time so chances are it was that'. What do we think, mystery solved?

I remember stories of The Somerset Bumps and the like on Nationwide at the time. How many BlackBirds were made? Enough to explain them all?

I'm not sure, but I know that we lived close to RAF Yeovilton, and westlands was close by (although I think they only made helicopter). Both Yeovilton and westland run training/test flights near us.

That certainly makes the plane explanation more likely, they can be pretty loud.

I've got it now - looks good.
The Elephant paintings are truly astounding - can they really be real? My family don't believe them, and I'm not sure I do.

H_James said:
I've got it now - looks good.
The Elephant paintings are truly astounding - can they really be real? My family don't believe them, and I'm not sure I do.
You can see the one elephant apparently reproducing the (or 'a') flower painting in the top photo.

I think it was a valid point whether the animals had been taught to reproduce those drawings by rote, rather than with an awareness of what they were painting.

http://www.thai-fine-art.com/shop/caaa688.htm

In any case, they can still paint better than me, an the flowers picture would look good in my bathroom.

Back