• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT232

Probably.

Addendum:

At 10.34 AM (G.M.T.), after posting the above message, my post arrived ... including the FT. Coincidences are quite spooky, huh?

You'd appear to be. Just noticed mine on the doormat a few minutes ago. A pleasant surprise!

This may sound a bit shallow but the first thing I noticed on leafing through the issue is that the "feline hitcher" pictured on p12 is remarkably similar in appearance to my own cat, the inestimable Kittinger.

It seems like a fairly eclectic issue (no bad thing), with main features on murders allegedly committed under hypnosis, an interview with Gimlin (of Patterson/Gimlin Bigfoot footage fame), and a review of cases of reputed extreme longevity through history. Also a Forum article on Dawkins by Sheldrake.

Will have to save the rest for bedtime. Today promises to be a busy one.

PB

Mine arrived very loudly at 8.45 am. :(
A slim volume it being January but good and eclectic. I do loathe those themed issues.

I agree looks like a good eclectic array of stuff. Better than the last few.
Does look like a slim issue though. But I think I'll read more from this one than I did from the Crowley special which I hardly read at all.

To the bath!!

I've read most of it now (lovely long bath), and the thing that astounded me most was in Strange Deaths, the Indian doctors who thought it would be a great idea to transfuse the blood of their youngest son into their older son, to help him in his exams. :shock: A guru had told the mother in a dream.

Mine arrived around 08;50, not had time to read it yet

Just to say that the issue is not 'slimmer' than usual in the sense of having less pages (it's got the same number as ever) but it is printed on different paper this month, which seems to have made it feel a bit lighter. Colours seem to have come up a bit brighter though, which is good.

DS

Brown_Forever said:
...with main features on murders allegedly committed under hypnosis, an interview with Gimlin (of Patterson/Gimlin Bigfoot footage fame)...

This morning at around the same time the quoted post was, erm, well, posted (I know the time because I'd just finished listening to something on the radio) and for no particular reason, I began to wonder why, if people under hypnosis can be made to do things they would never dream of doing when not under hypnosis it appears to be a commonly accepted belief that people cannot be hypnotised into commiting crimes such as murder.

Not only that but just before reading this thread - not ten minutes ago - I was looking at a website dedicated to Bigfoot, a subject for which I have no particular interest but I'd used it this morning to link to something I'd written in another post on the Russian almas and I was just mooching around having a bit of a browse and guess what the last name that registered before I jumped to this thread was?

I don't subscribe to the magazine and haven't seen this issue yet.

Weird, what!

The bolt from the blue case in Strange Deaths was interesting as I've witnessed something similar myself one summer's evening as I was driving home from work towards a storm. The view from the hill was such that I could see an expanse of countryside perhaps 40 miles left to right. The anvil storm cloud was in the right hand side of the scene, about ten miles distant. As well as frequent lightning downstrokes a huge horizontal bolt - much brighter than the others - crossed the sky completely outside the storm range before coming to earth exactly as described in the article.

It went to ground in an area still brightly sunlit (quite possibly twenty miles away) and I wondered at the time what the people in the vicinity would have made of this bolt from nowhere.

Did anyone else find the IHTM story about the old couple moving into the house when the owners were away on holiday pretty hair-raising? One of them actually answered the door! And they put out milk bottles!

Nice variety this issue, but what caught my eye was the tree with the tree picture all the way through the branch.

So Issue 232 is February, 2008.

Why is the next issue, then, issue 233, on sale 10th January, 2008?

Is this typo? Or are we getting another FT soon?

rhetorical question

Ravenstone said:
So Issue 232 is February, 2008.

Why is the next issue, then, issue 233, on sale 10th January, 2008?

Is this typo? Or are we getting another FT soon?

I suspect you already know the answer to this. Mea culpa. What with always sending the issue to press with a cover date well in the future (and the US cover being even further in the future) and the issue that comes out in January having a much shorter deadline than usual to reach the printers before Christmas, it does get very confusing. So, yeah, no one spotted this mistake until it came back from the printers.

Oops, sorry.

Good issue!
The article on historical super centenarians (sp?) was very interesting.
I liked Merrily Harpur's cartoon because I like Merrily Harpur's cartoons and I think we should have more of them :p

Re: rhetorical question

owenwhiteoak said:
[I suspect you already know the answer to this.

Well, I suspected. But I live in hope.

Do I win a prize then? :D Like, ooo, I dunno - a year's subscription and the mug? Only when I tried to renew my subscription so I could get the mug, the website didn't recognise the offer code I had.

The Eternal Optimist :D

Sorry, Rave, but you're going to be waiting a while. I've always suggested that regular, re-subscribers get some form of goody, apart from delayed and missing issues. I've always wondered at the logistics of cancelling my subscription after a year then re-subscribing. There seems to be no encouragement to brand loyalty.

I got (probably same as everyone else) the notification that I could take advantage of the offer to resubscribe in advance and get the mug. However, when I input the code, it wasn't recognised. Seeing as we've been redoing the kitchen all of December, I then lost the letter, so can't say what the code was. I do know, though, that the subscription offer price was actually more than what I was offered to subscribe for when I went to the resubscription page, but about £7-8 quid. So while one offer got me a free mug, the other offer would get me a cheaper subscription - which means it wasn't a free mug after all.

Except it didn't work for some reason, so I'll just wait and resubscribe later on in the year.

Subscription problems

Ravenstone said:
I got (probably same as everyone else) the notification that I could take advantage of the offer to resubscribe in advance and get the mug. However, when I input the code, it wasn't recognised. Seeing as we've been redoing the kitchen all of December, I then lost the letter, so can't say what the code was. I do know, though, that the subscription offer price was actually more than what I was offered to subscribe for when I went to the resubscription page, but about £7-8 quid. So while one offer got me a free mug, the other offer would get me a cheaper subscription - which means it wasn't a free mug after all.

Except it didn't work for some reason, so I'll just wait and resubscribe later on in the year.

For problems like this, you should contact Barbara Abis on 020-7907 6145 or [email protected] (or whoever is currently listed in the Masthead on the Editorial page as "Subscriptions Executive" or similar title).

She should be able to help or pass the problem on to the IT team who look after that part of the website.

I didn't get any subs renew notice. In fact I have subscribed for the last 5 years or so and have never done anything with my subs.

Renewals

liveinabin1 said:
I didn't get any subs renew notice. In fact I have subscribed for the last 5 years or so and have never done anything with my subs.

If you pay by Direct Debit, it will automatically renew (as well as being a bit cheaper than other payment methods). On the other hand, you don't get the chance of free gift offers for renewing. (Not something the editorial team have any say in, BTW).

This month's ABCD was frustrating. We're told that a qualified zoologist saw a large black cat that definitely wasn't a panther or puma, but the article fails to elaborate on it at all, just says he got scared and ran off. Surely a zoologist would have had a bit more to say on the matter?

Thank you for that. As I can't find the letter with the code on it, I won't contact her for now. I would have liked the mug, but obviously I'd be much happier re-subbing at the lower rate than the offer that came through the door!

Mine's just arrived. :)

But, that means that my copy of issue 231 has gone missing in action over the Christmas period, for sure. :(

The letter about the Lewis Chessmen was the nutter of the issue.

I claim my £5.

Mine just got here today, and I just finished New Scientist for the week, so I'll be able to get onto it straight away.

Back