• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pietro_Mercurios

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Mine turned up, today! :shock: :D

There's a picture of a very old hippie on the cover. He claims to have discovered the secret of immortality and looks like a Californian, sun dried raisin .

Inside Issue. 235, it looks like a top notch issue!

Also, there's important info. about UnCon 2008! :shock:

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Also, there's important info. about UnCon 2008! :shock:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to get home now! Unless it's bad news... :eek:

Blast! Mine's usually in the first wave. Nevermind, it would have delayed me painting the bedroom.

But the post comes so damn late here I shall have had my morning bath by the time it comes tomorrow.

Life can be so complicated.

Boooo, it had better arrive tomorrow or there'll be trouble. What's the Uncon news then Pietro_M?

Saturday and postie's been and still no FT. Was looking forward to a weekend with my feet up.

I got my subscription special offer mug today, but not FT235 today...

Not here. Now I'm going to have to wait for Monday!!

Mine turned up today. Odd thing, I bought issue 232 (February) last Monday as I don't have a subscription. I often send in clippings, with my address on the back of the envelope. Can someone explain this?

Mine's arrived too. Noticed that there's a big article by someone who was once my manager. The king of the hippies may be trying to be immortal but the eternal youth bit seem to be evading him, he's going to end up looking like a walnut or an old man's scrotum if he lives forever.

47Forteans said:
Mine turned up today. Odd thing, I bought issue 232 (February) last Monday as I don't have a subscription. I often send in clippings, with my address on the back of the envelope. Can someone explain this?

May be some one bought you a subscription as a gift?

Is it this month that should have an April Fool, or was it last month being as that was the April issue?

CarlosTheDJ said:
Is it this month that should have an April Fool, or was it last month being as that was the April issue?

I don't know, but that phantom arse in the letters page looked suspicious...

gncxx said:
that phantom arse in the letters page looked suspicious...
If by 'suspicious' you mean 'total bollocks' (or total arse?) then that is probably close to the mark! :) I read it after noon, though, so the joke's on the arse.

Got mine this morning.
Pleased to see there is a witchcraft story. 8)

I got mine yesterday.

I'm a bit concerned on the simplicity of the Mythchasers section. Mice love cheese. It's just too easy to remove from mouse traps. Melted chocolate is what you want - it just isn't removed as easily.

Scarily enough, the soil temperature and its measurement using buttocks was mentioned in my office today. I would't be surprised if they are still using it here in Lincolnshire. They were suggesting that use of measurement as a reccommendation in planting potatoes. I work in a forge - perhaps engineers have no idea of modern farming methods!

liveinabin1 said:
47Forteans said:

May be some one bought you a subscription as a gift?

I had thought of that, and asked around, but no-one had thought of giving me a subscription as a gift - besides, my birthday is in January, and Christmas is eight months off, so why a gift now?

Guess I shouldn't look a gift mag in the mouth, and just sit back and enjoy it, as I would every other issue of Fortean Times

Mine came on Monday but I haven't unwrapped it yet as I'm waiting for a nice quiet hour to enjoy it. :D

I got it today, and so if there is an April Fools' gag in there, it's really back on them, since I haven't had a chance to read it, and it isn't still before noon on April 1st anywhere.

ttaarraass said:
gncxx said:
If by 'suspicious' you mean 'total bollocks' (or total arse?) then that is probably close to the mark! :) I read it after noon, though, so the joke's on the arse.

Yep I thought it was the arse too....although I'm pretty damn dubious about the gnome.

BTW was it the buffalo living in the house last year?

April Fools

Anome_ said:
I got it today, and so if there is an April Fools' gag in there, it's really back on them, since I haven't had a chance to read it, and it isn't still before noon on April 1st anywhere.

As far as I'm aware, FT has never perpetrated an April Fool gag. Although some subscribers have already received this issue, it isn't due to be on newsstand sale in the UK until 3rd April, and in the USA some four weeks later, so it wouldn't have made sense anyway. I think it's only daily morning newspapers, TV, radio, or websites that can get away with that. When Panorama did the spaghetti harvest, they were really cheating, since it was an evening broadcast.

The only time I recall when we printed a spoof was the "Senders' Theory" FBI back in the "D For Deception" issue FT185 (not an April issue), and we took a lot of flack for that - one reader claimed he would never read the mag again as he could no longer trust it (erm, the fact that we print stories from the popular press doesn't necessarily imply that we believe them to be true, any more than a certain Mr Fort believed everything he read); and some readers seemed particularly miffed that they had failed to spot the gag until late in the article, poor dears.

Arse bison - good name for a rock band?

CarlosTheDJ said:
ttaarraass said:
gncxx said:

Yep I thought it was the arse too....although I'm pretty damn dubious about the gnome.

The "blessed bum" letter and photos were a perfectly genuine submission from a reader.

The pet bison in the house (FT196, May2005 cover date) was a genuine news article, previously covered in the Sunday Times in January 2004. As well the two photos we printed, there were at least a dozen other good ones we didn't have room for. I've never visited the ranch concerned, but as far as I'm aware it's a true story of one family's care for for their livestock.

Re: Arse bison - good name for a rock band?

owenwhiteoak said:
CarlosTheDJ said:
ttaarraass said:
gncxx said:

The "blessed bum" letter and photos were a perfectly genuine submission from a reader.

The pet bison in the house (FT196, May2005 cover date) was a genuine news article, previously covered in the Sunday Times in January 2004. As well the two photos we printed, there were at least a dozen other good ones we didn't have room for. I've never visited the ranch concerned, but as far as I'm aware it's a true story of one family's care for for their livestock.

Seriously?

At least one of those shots looked very Photoshopped to me. The lighting was all wrong IIRC.

I'm not an expert though, I'm probably wrong, I just remember thinking "that's b*****ks that is"

Daftbugger1 said:
...Scarily enough, the soil temperature and its measurement using buttocks was mentioned in my office today. I would't be surprised if they are still using it here in Lincolnshire. They were suggesting that use of measurement as a reccommendation in planting potatoes. I work in a forge - perhaps engineers have no idea of modern farming methods!

Dare say even if it does work the method wouldn't translate between disciplines terribly well - unless you've got a very high pain threshold...or asbestos underpants.

CarlosTheDJ said:

If you look at the gnome thread on here it was proven soon after the story broke that it was a hoax. It's a pity the FT mag didn't get this news until it was too late... maybe next issue?

gncxx said:
CarlosTheDJ said:

If you look at the gnome thread on here it was proven soon after the story broke that it was a hoax. It's a pity the FT mag didn't get this news until it was too late... maybe next issue?

There's a gnome thread?

Asbestos underpants, hmm, lent ours to a politician. :(

Alchemy == Irradiated fruit?

So, all those people happily buying and eating irradiated fruit these days will live forever?

Hmmmm.

Back