• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT253

I always envy those who get their Fortean Fix first! But having to wait for FT makes it all the more worthwhile!

Arrived this am, looks good. Some interesting book reviews on False Recovered Memories and Forteana in the Former USSR.

Min'e just arrived - but they haven't bothered to glue it, so it's just a loose leaf collection of pages in a flimsy slip case! Grrrr.

Hmm, I thought it should have arrived by now. If mines not here by the end of the week then I'll chase it up.

liveinabin1 said:
Hmm, I thought it should have arrived by now. If mines not here by the end of the week then I'll chase it up.

Mine isn't here either, and I'm guessing by the lack of activity on this thread that hardly anyone else's has reached them. Here's hoping we don't all get falling to bits ones like agentbuffy's.

Mine came yesterday. No loose pages. :D

Agentbuffy - if you could email me your address I'll send a replacement copy immediately. Odd; this is not a problem we've had before. Could anyone else with loose-leaf versions of 253 let us know?

DS

Mine's arrived with all pages attached.

Dr_David_Sutton said:
Agentbuffy - if you could email me your address I'll send a replacement copy immediately. Odd; this is not a problem we've had before. Could anyone else with loose-leaf versions of 253 let us know?

DS

That's really good of you. I'll PM it through to you - thanks very much!

AB

Mine arrived today! Let us rejoice at that news, and it was intact too. Really liked the mass hysteria article, and that book it was based on looks excellent, but at eight hundred odd pages I don't know when I'd find time to read the whole thing!

The Wattie article was great too, confirmed my suspicions about Peter Haining, a fine editor but prone to flights of fancy. Unless this prompts someone to come up with proof of the story, in which case I'll eat my words.

The Bigfoot letter was interesting and might be a good idea to follow up if there really was someone plonking down loads of footprints for a laugh.

I enjoyed the Mass Hysteria article, although the cover pic, with the woods and fleeing people, suggested to me it was going to be an article about panic. I think there's been something written on panic before though? (This is why we need an updated FT index :))

Just found this article though, which seems rather good:
Panic! How it Works and What to Do About It

agentbuffy said:
Min'e just arrived - but they haven't bothered to glue it, so it's just a loose leaf collection of pages in a flimsy slip case! Grrrr.

A loose Fortean can be quite entertaining...

Curse you, ttaarraass. Just spent half my day off reading the panic stuff. :evil:

Mine arrived today. All nicely stuck together and with some interesting articles, by the looks of it.

Isn't it about time we had piece on Peter Haining? :)

The featured ABC story with the photo of the ABC crossing some railway lines.

looks a bit weird to me - has three extra blobs that don't appear to be part of the background and which don't fit the animal either.

Just a quick update - my replacement copy arrived this morning, and is properly glued up! 'Ray!

I think it's the little things that make the difference, a small gesture that means a lot.

Right, sentiment out of the way, back to plotting the downfall of the western world, even though I don't think it needs much help ;)

My copy arrived Friday, and I have finished it already. What am I going to read between now and the next issue of Fortean Times?!

The History of the Kings of Britain review jarred with me.
[...] their epic landing on our virgin shores was at 'Totnesia' - yes, cheap and cheerful seaside resort Totnes.
Sadly, for the veracity of the review, Totnes is not at the seaside but on the River Dart, about seven miles from Dartmouth along the river, about five miles from the real seaside resorts to the East. While it is quite cheerful and certainly interesting and well worth a visit, my pocket does not remember it as cheap.
So, how much more of the review can we believe?

I thought that too, it used to be a bit New Agey and health food shops, is it still like that? (I bought my copy of Alternative 3 in a bookshop there in the late 70s)

Very much so, a slightly upmarket Glastonbury-in-Devon.

47Forteans said:
My copy arrived Friday, and I have finished it already. What am I going to read between now and the next issue of Fortean Times?!
Back issues? :shock:

gncxx said:
Mine arrived today! Let us rejoice at that news, and it was intact too. Really liked the mass hysteria article, and that book it was based on looks excellent, but at eight hundred odd pages I don't know when I'd find time to read the whole thing!

The Wattie article was great too, confirmed my suspicions about Peter Haining, a fine editor but prone to flights of fancy. Unless this prompts someone to come up with proof of the story, in which case I'll eat my words.

The Bigfoot letter was interesting and might be a good idea to follow up if there really was someone plonking down loads of footprints for a laugh.

I loved the hysteria article as well. Must get the book but I have a backlog as it is.

Paul Sievkings article on the Muggletonians and Civil War Sects was excellent. I'm really looking forward to part two. Another good book on the Sects is: Ehuds Dagger:Class Struggle In The English Revolution by James Hulston.

Seventeenth-century England saw the first capitalist revolution of the modern world, but also the first anti-capitalist revolution. In Ehud’s Dagger, James Holstun reconstructs five radical projects of the time in a stirring development of Marxist “history from below.” A Caroline prologue examines the political and poetic furore surrounding John Felton, who assassinated the Duke of Buckingham in 1628, creating a republican cause célèbre for circulators of verse libels. Holstun then turns to the Revolution proper, focusing on the common soldiers of the Puritan New Model Army, who formed a military soviet in the summer of 1647 and bested their capitalist officers in debate; the Fifth Monarchist visionary Anna Trapnel, who publicly prophesied against the Protectorate on behalf of sectarian small producers; the Leveller theorist and desperado Edward Sexby, who wrote the brilliant tyrannicidal treatise Killing Noe Murder, and attempted to assassinate Cromwell; and the agrarian communist Diggers of Surrey, whose comrade and leader Gerrard Winstanley was the foremost social theorist of seventeenth-century England.
http://www.versobooks.com/books/ghij/h- ... gger.shtml

ttaarraass said:
47Forteans said:
Back issues? :shock:

Well, that's about eight years worth of back issues (altough I am missing aout four issues of the 2001 set) - that ought to keep me happy until the next issue! :D

Is it just me, or does the cover look like something out of Tin-Tin? Now there's a Tin-Tin story I wouldn't mind reading!

I live in Finland and started a subscription a few months ago. The first two issues arrived in a timely fashion, but 253 has yet to arrive. I wonder if I should be getting worried. I think the earlier issues arrived near the official release dates.

Subs delivery

SimoSakariAaltonen said:
I live in Finland and started a subscription a few months ago. The first two issues arrived in a timely fashion, but 253 has yet to arrive. I wonder if I should be getting worried. I think the earlier issues arrived near the official release dates.
We have had occasional reports of problems with delivery to Scandinavian addresses. I would suggest you contact the Dennis subscriptions liaison team:

[email protected]
CC to [email protected]

Thanks, Owen. I emailed Pauline this past weekend. Happily however, my copy arrived today: the very next working day. Just as some close but more welcome relative of Murphy's Law would surely have it.

(So next time I will know not only to wait until the end of the week before getting in touch, but also wait for the end of next week . . . the only problem with this algorithm being that it leads to an infinite loop.)

Back