• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT256

agentbuffy

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Has mine arrived really early - I got it yesterday, and already read it! Another good issue - the quality seems to be on the up at the moment, which is all good.

Cover highlights:

Dennis Wheatley, and how he sold Black Magic to Britain.
Twilight Zone - 50th Anniversary (made me add the DVD collection to my Christmas list)
Ig-Noble Prizes

Plus lots of other good things - including Jesus in a Marmite jar, and Tommy Cooper on a steak pie (which was promptly eaten ;) )

Mine came through yesterday to. Good to see Dennis Wheatley in there, probably instrumental in getting a lot of Forteans of a certain age into weird stuff...

It's out already? How I envy you all! It will take an age before it arrives in Australia!

Nice to see the great Peter Vaughan (AKA 'genial' Harry Grout) on the cover ;)

Mine came yesterday. It's still wrapped up - I'm saving it as a reward for when I've finished all me jobs. ;)

escargot1 said:
Mine came yesterday. It's still wrapped up - I'm saving it as a reward for when I've finished all me jobs. ;)

Me too. So, do let me know when you've got them done because I'm dying to read mine.
:lol:

I'm actually saving mine for when I can have an hour in the bath without being disturbed. 8)

WhistlingJack said:
Nice to see the great Peter Vaughan (AKA 'genial' Harry Grout) on the cover ;)

I thought Dennis Wheatley looked more like Charles Gray who played Mocata in the film of The Devil Rides Out....

devilridesout.jpg

Whatever Den looked like, that was a really good article on him. Excellent perspective on the reactionary old so-and-so that was affectionate while still critical.

That poster sums up the appeal of Wheatley's work so well: above we see four figures ritualistically arranged in a pentagram, of whom the three males are dressed like accountants and the fourth is presumably the sacrificial virgin, while below we see a still-besuited man determinedly raping the aformentioned maiden.

Damned naughty. And yet somehow classy. :lol:

escargot1 said:
That poster sums up the appeal of Wheatley's work so well: above we see four figures ritualistically arranged in a pentagram, of whom the three males are dressed like accountants and the fourth is presumably the sacrificial virgin, while below we see a still-besuited man determinedly raping the aformentioned maiden.

Damned naughty. And yet somehow classy. :lol:

Funnily enough I watched the movie only a couple of weeks back and I'm pretty sure (although I was in the process of being mugged by a bottle of vino collapso at the time) that Charles Gray never actually gets that close to the beautiful Nike Arrighi's love-lumps. (Where did she come from? Where did she go? Hubba, hubba...Oh...shit, 'scuse me. Spook pauses to smack his recalcitrant loins with a frozen haddock).

I'm assuming that image made it into the publicity because it was both titillating and also because the only time Charles Gray actually does get into a similar position it's with a girl of about nine-years old and possibly, even back in the summer of love, such an image may have been deemed liable to be misconstrued.

I enjoyed the movie, although I'm not sure it deserves it's reputation, at least according to some pundits, as the best in the Hammer stable. Leon Greene's acting is so bloody wooden you'd have thought he'd have been a fire hazard what with all those flaming flambeaux flying around. Also, his voice was terribly familiar. Then I remembered that he narrated the old Protect and Survive public information films back in the 70's and I spent the rest of the movie waiting for him to tell everyone in authoritative tones how the best way to combat the unwanted attentions of the Prince of Darkness was to hide under a table with six months supply of tinned soup and a paper bag on your head.

:lol: Beautifully put.

Mention of this fillum gives me a little frisson even now, decades after the one time I watched it - on New Year's Eve, babysitting for my sister. She and the husband fell out and came home in a strop, much earlier than I expected them, disturbing my cosy teenage tryst with the then boyfriend.

Panic! Clothes were thrown on, and I greeted my brother-in-law with my knickers hanging out of the hem of my jeans. :oops:

If he noticed, he was too grumpy to mention it.

Spookdaddy said:
I enjoyed the movie, although I'm not sure it deserves it's reputation, at least according to some pundits, as the best in the Hammer stable. Leon Greene's acting is so bloody wooden you'd have thought he'd have been a fire hazard what with all those flaming flambeaux flying around. Also, his voice was terribly familiar. Then I remembered that he narrated the old Protect and Survive public information films back in the 70's and I spent the rest of the movie waiting for him to tell everyone in authoritative tones how the best way to combat the unwanted attentions of the Prince of Darkness was to hide under a table with six months supply of tinned soup and a paper bag on your head.

Erm no, Leon Greene's voice was dubbed by Patrick Allen, famed voiceover man and hawker of Barratt Holmes for a good few years. Poor old Leon, even his voice couldn't have been up to much.

But put me in the "Best of Hammer" camp, I think their Devil Rides Out is up there, very nearly, with Night of the Demon. Christopher Lee playing a goodie! Spooky shenanigans at that most English of locations, a country house! Patrick Mower in peril! Such great fun, Hammer should have done more of these.

Mine came in the mail, yesterday. A rather good issue. I've been looking forward to reading a good article on Dennis Wheatley, for ages. :)

Like it mentions in the article, Wheatley, alongside T. Lobsang Rampa and Carlos Castaneda, had a great deal of influence, back in the day. Although, at least Wheatley didn't try to pass his works of imaginative fiction off as autobiography. :lol:

I was also pleased to see an article on the original 'Twilight Zone', series.

Nice piece on the relics of St Thérèse, too.

Nice Hunt Emerson cartoon on the Scottish 'wizard', Michael Scot.

By the looks of it, I've got lots more to look forward to reading, too.

Great stuff! :)

Just a note to echo the praise on the pieces on Dennis Wheatley and the Twilight Zone - it's the Fortean culture bits which keep me reading the magazine tobe honest.

Mine arrived a few minutes ago, much to my delight! Reading it will be saved up, as there's housework needs doing (will it never end?!). Good to hear Mythconceptions is back - may it reign a thousand years!

gncxx said:
Erm no, Leon Greene's voice was dubbed by Patrick Allen, famed voiceover man and hawker of Barratt Holmes for a good few years. Poor old Leon, even his voice couldn't have been up to much.

Well, bugger me - I thought he just sounded a lot like Patrick Allen. I'm going to have to have another look at the film now because normally dubbed voices irritate the hell out of me, but I didn't pick up on this once, (although I suppose that bottle of wine I mentioned could have had something to do with it). A quick google reveals it was to cover up his attempt at an American accent. If it was that bad you'd wonder the director didn't pick up on it straight away.

...I think their Devil Rides Out is up there, very nearly, with Night of the Demon.

(Sharp intake of breath). Steady tiger - that's fighting talk.

Spookdaddy said:
...I think their Devil Rides Out is up there, very nearly, with Night of the Demon.

(Sharp intake of breath). Steady tiger - that's fighting talk.

Well, you know, the opinions of GNC do not reflect the policies of this site, etc. I do think it's top entertainment, though.

Is it just me, or did this issue lack the letter from the Differently Sane reader? Perhaps I missed it...

47Forteans said:
Is it just me, or did this issue lack the letter from the Differently Sane reader? Perhaps I missed it...

I think he was too busy posting on the board this month...

Great article on Wheatly, must get the bio. Twilight Zone article was pretty good as well.

Timble2 said:
47Forteans said:

I think he was too busy posting on the board this month...

Yes, I was...

Hang on a minute...! ;)

This issue seems to be free of controversy - or at least, a heated debate on here, as other issues seem to have caused. Is that because it is free of controversy (see anything about Dawkins, for example) or because no-one has taken issue with any of the articles (either to praise or condem)?

My copy never showed up! A pity, because it sounded so interesting.

James, send them an email, they're pretty good about making up lost copies at no expense.

Back