• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT258

I really enjoyed this issue..including the pop-conspiracy article which I read as being firmly tongue in cheek too. The most eye opening thing about it was Simon Cowell's jetski with the masonic transfer. Why???

I also agree with an earlier poster that the themed issues can be a bit of a pain if you're not actually digging the theme..one of the joys of FT for me is that I can usually find stuff I'm interested in in every issue...theming the issues might be a bad editorial decision.

shambles said:
The most eye opening thing about it was Simon Cowell's jetski with the masonic transfer. Why???

Yes that had the same effect on me - a double-take, then a holding of the magazine closer to me eyes just to make sure and then a "what it the world????"

Anyway able to explain that? It just seemed so incongruous I wondered if it had been Photoshopped.

Mighty_Emperor said:
...It just seemed so incongruous I wondered if it had been Photoshopped.

...that was my initial reaction..but then that led to an even more disturbing 'WHY????????????' and I haven't wanted to ponder it too much since... :?

I have no fear of the Hidden Global Control.

My up-coming wedding is to be held in the rather lovely architecture of our city's venerable and central Masonic Hall. While I'm not a Brother (I would say that, wouldn't I) Mason, the fantastic chapel is licenced and being used for our civil ceremony and the reception, at very good rates. It's a private "do" and our guests are - I have been assured - of a first class service.

It is all open and, I assure you, financially reasonable - not cheap, but when you get married, you shouldn't shirk.

Now ...

According to the fruitloop tinfoil-hatters, the Freemasons are REALLY BIG on giving visual and image heavy hints ... on a secret they'd kill to protect. So, lemme get this straight - they've got this world conspiracy to hide their control of the world but they can't help advertising their influence. Like a successful serial killer keeping "souvenirs" - but they have been found by intellectually-challenged, mental stability- vacant sociopaths ...

This is so convincing! One of the best, recent issues I have ever read!

There's a Masonic symbol in a stained glass window in the synagogue in Szeged, southern Hungary, which I've seen for myself. Nobody knows why it's there, apparently.

Obviously, it's so secret that no one knows why it exists!

Wow! That's deep!

I put it there to piss Stormy off, the grumpy old bugger. :oops:

Every time Patrick Harpur posts an article people jump on his case and every time I have to go back and re-read because it sounds from the criticism like I read a different article. Same again.

I can't think why he attracts such opprobrium but it may be because he thinks the stuff scientists get het up about resembles the things people have always tried to explain - but in different words. I enjoy him because he's as dubious about the myths of progress and the brand spanking new as myself. Pointing out similarities in the fashionable mythos of the age is his tack and more power to him.

The illuminati/freemasonry schtick sounded like a spoof on contemporary paranoia, until I read a website on this junk - people actually believe it!

If there is a new world order it's unlikely some media whore is going to promote it by rearranging their fingers into shadowpuppet patterns for a photoshoot. Even more improbable that the mason's big secret is going to be kept by greengrocers, town hall underlings, widget manufacturers and the rest who make up yer typical lodge. In fact if you wanted something spread to anyone who'd listen for a dry sherry, you couldn't pick a more suitable cadre of society.

colpepper1 said:
I can't think why he attracts such opprobrium but it may be because he thinks the stuff scientists get het up about resembles the things people have always tried to explain - but in different words.

And that's where he's quite wrong, because (n this case) they're not. He may have a good grasp of Renaissance metapheysics, but he doesn't seem to have read any modern physics.

colpepper1 said:
I enjoy him because he's as dubious about the myths of progress and the brand spanking new as myself. Pointing out similarities in the fashionable mythos of the age is his tack and more power to him.

There's nothing wrong with challenging myths of progress, but you need to do your homework. The simple fact is that modern science can do all sorts of stuff that non-scientific thinkers in previous centuries couldn't dream of, and have explained things that were far beyond them.

Slagging off CERN's research is pretty questionable when you have to use the Web to do it... (the WWW came out of CERN)

Again I can only say people mis-perceive it as an attack. Harpur tries to put the latest attempts in the light of history with each era using their contextual framework to provide an explanation.

colpepper1 said:
Again I can only say people mis-perceive it as an attack.

He outright states that the scientists are wrong and their efforts are doomed - by misrepresenting them. How is that not an attack?

I see that the editorial staff still haven't listened to Continental European readers and put (at minimum) issues featuring swastikas on the covers in plain wrappers. I'll be getting funny looks from the postman again...

Back