• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT287

WhistlingJack

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Cover: Titanic Premonitions

Strange Days:-

The Ghost On the Pier

'Wedding ring found on carrot' photo

Knaresborough mummified cat photo

Peter Brookesmith on Richard C. Hoagland

'Woolly Mammoth' video?

Life On Venus?

Mythconceptions: The Tidal Wave of Booze

Classical Corner: More Byzantine Bizarreries

Britain's High Priestess

The Fortean Times Random Dictionary of the Damned: UFO Crash Retrievals Part 2

Forum: Sticky Wickets & Howzat!

Reviews: Dracula Prince of Darkness DVD

Letters: New 'Devil's Hoofprints'?

Strange and Sensational Stories From 'The Illustrated Police News': The Mystery of Sarah Duckett

Phenomenomix: Maya Deren

Mine's dropped through the letter box. Always feel they should teleport in...

And what do you do with a rolled up copy of the FT?

Anyway, mine's is here, flat, and I read the Titanic article while waiting for my dinner to cook. Good to have all those premonitions in one place, and there do seem to have been an awful lot of them, although how much validation by hindsight is part of it is difficult to say.

Also liked the tinfoil giant in IHTM. Inexplicable and weird, but oddly believable with two witnesses.

Well, s'pose i'd better unroll it and read it. :roll:

escargot1 said:
Well, s'pose i'd better unroll it and read it. :roll:

Rolled snails are nice around a bit of pickle on a cocktail stick. Don't forget the garlic.

You can die from fooling with cocktail sticks, y'know.

Just saying'.

Um....

The sideline "Holey Moley!" on page 10....

I'm fairly sure that Mr Ingamells isn't 199 :lol:

I loved the tin foil man IHTM, really interesting and creepy. Also some really good sidelines this month. :)

Also, love the photo of the tiny hoof prints in the snow! Maybe my dream of owning a tiny horse is going to come true! :p

Very diplomatic of the FT to suggest the images the Scottish poltergeist drew in the flour were an elongated letter D and a pointing finger, I thought.

gncxx said:
Very diplomatic of the FT to suggest the images the Scottish poltergeist drew in the flour were an elongated letter D and a pointing finger, I thought.

Yeah, Scots can get prickly if they are provoked.

Don't bother looking for the 'mirror photo' pic mentioned in the letters page - it's rubbish.

I was very disappointed in the Titanic premonition article. 90% of it (at least) seems to have been a condensed summary of George Behe's book (admittedly out of print), "Titanic - Psychic Forewarnings of a Tragedy."

The author of the FT piece does not seem to have been aware of research that has been performed in the 23 years since Behe's book was first published.

For instance: George's updates at http://home.comcast.net/~georgebehe/titanic/page9.htm inform us of what he suspected in his book; that Eugene Ryan (who does not appear in the passenger manifest) was actually Eugene Daly who uttered a premonition of disaster. Daly never mentioned his forecasts of doom afterwards, and herein lies the rub: unlike the "Ryan/Daly" prognosticator mentioned in the FT article, Daly did survive. Indeed, his letters and later testimony at the 1915 Limitation of Liability inquiry gives credence to the notion that an officer did shoot two passengers and then shot himself in the last few minutes of the Titanic's life.

Another instance; Behe mentions in his book and is repeated in the article, that Esther Hart was sure that disaster would befall the Titanic and she stayed awake
all night and slept during the day as she was sure that doom would strike during the dark. However, the only source we have of this is her daughter, Eva and she
frequently exaggerated certain aspects of the disaster, perhaps for personal glory.
Letters that Esther Hart wrote post-disaster have turned up and in them she mentions no feeling of dread or anxiety, any forebodings, or any premonition. She certainly did not stay up all night in readiness of the disaster. I count George Behe as a personal friend and he told me c.1999 that when his friend Don Lynch was writing "Titanic: An Illustrated History", Eva Hart's stories raised so many warning signs that her account was omitted from the book.

Paul

gncxx said:
Of course, it couldn't have possibly been a mouse, with a long tail, having a wander in the flour.

Daftbugger1 said:
gncxx said:
Of course, it couldn't have possibly been a mouse, with a long tail, having a wander in the flour.

A moose in the hoose.

ramonmercado said:
Daftbugger1 said:
gncxx said:

A moose in the hoose.

A moose in the hoose on the loose with a goose!

Synchronous said:
Um....

Yes, that struck me as odd, surely FT has proofreaders? If not, I'd like to apply for the job! ;)

A Scottish women scared of a poltergoost...she shames the whole nation.
Imagine getting aboard a ship and realising Violet Jessop was on board, you would spend the whole trip with your life belt on, sitting in a life boat.

The FBI article was really fascinating, i was thinking good luck mates till the"unless you have a healthy body and brain you cant be a homo sapiens sapiens" comment, i know of two autistic boys who are a lot more homo sapiens sapiens then chelsea fans that disrupt a minutes silence.
:twisted: :evil:

titch said:
A Scottish women scared of a poltergoost...she shames the whole nation.
Imagine getting aboard a ship and realising Violet Jessop was on board, you would spend the whole trip with your life belt on, sitting in a life boat.

The FBI article was really fascinating, i was thinking good luck mates till the"unless you have a healthy body and brain you cant be a homo sapiens sapiens" comment, i know of two autistic boys who are a lot more homo sapiens sapiens then chelsea fans that disrupt a minutes silence.
:twisted: :evil:

I believe Lloyds refused to insure any ship that Jessop was travelling on.

A real Scots woman would toss a caber at a goost.

There was a touch of eugenics about our Indian friends but look at what they are up against.

47Forteans said:
Synchronous said:
Um....

Yes, that struck me as odd, surely FT has proofreaders? If not, I'd like to apply for the job! ;)

Me too! Easy money ;)

Synchronous said:
47Forteans said:
Synchronous said:
Um....

Me too! Easy money ;)

Or even opening the mail for the Letters section - I'd be laughing all day at some of the more "interesting" letters!

Back