• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT297

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I can't be the only one who got the new issue today, can I? Nice early Christmas present, spent this afternoon reading about Victorian ghost impersonators, Father Fanthorpe's vintage books and the sham that was Greyfriars Bobby.

Really good letters page this ish too, IHTMs and all, the voice changer one is especially spooky (if only they'd taken a recording!). Also, top marks for what must have been a tricky illustration for Mythconceptions.

Mine arrived today too but I've been too busy to even open it. :(

Will have a good read as a reward later though. :D

Blimey, you've got your issues early! I haven't even started 296! (Blast all that housework for Christmas!)

47Forteans said:
Blimey, you've got your issues early! I haven't even started 296! (Blast all that housework for Christmas!)

The undeserving always get the FT early.

WhistlingJack said:
ramonmercado said:
47Forteans said:

The undeserving always get the FT early.

*Says nowt* :?

Good things come to those who (impatiently) wait! ;)

Mine arrived on Saturday too, was too busy to post.

Seems that I've only just finished the last one.

greyfriars bobby had been threatening to make an appearance for about the last 3 issues ...

HenryFort said:
greyfriars bobby had been threatening to make an appearance for about the last 3 issues ...

He has now been revealed as unreliable, contrary to his reputation.

There's an appalling error in this issue's Phenomenomix: Chas Hodges playing banjo and Dave Peacock playing piano - really?

Funny my subscription copy has still to arrive and was wondering how long (considering it was the holidays) i should wait before it is officially MIA?

CarlosTheDJ said:
The pub ghost looks like a candle to me.
classic i believe you are correct ! good work carlos ... and shame on mr murdie confusing death eaters with dementors ! after the christmas ive had i am practically a walking potter glossary ... or pottary ...

Arrived this morning, looks good, can't wait to read it on the bus or in the shop tomorrow or friday.

check for the candle ghost photo when it lands ...

Still waiting for my copy. Hope this isn't a repeat of issue 271...

47Forteans said:
Still waiting for my copy. Hope this isn't a repeat of issue 271...

Having posted this yesterday, I arrived home to find my copy waiting for me in the letterbox... :roll:

Some interesting book reviews, Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks (reviewed Mike Jay) and Th at a eake for her friend who had just died after taking Gbl. e Inquisition in New Spain, a documentary history (reviewed by Mike Pursley).

Article on Lionel Fanthorpe was good, I must look out for his old SF.

In Strange Deaths a woman dies after taking GBL :shock:

The Hobbit film gets 8/10.

Good letter from David V Barrett on British Israelites on how popular and influential the movement was evin into the 1970s.

Regarding issue 300 and the November issue (marking 40 years of FT) - do you think they'll both be special issues?

For me the ghost is clearly a man in a grey hooded sweater walking across the picture R to L.

It looks to me like a panorama photo taken by either panning across the scene or taking three shots which the software then stitches together.

I have countless examples of the image not quite merging or catching someone midway through who has half their body missing or appearing twice.

Or simply someone leaning on the bar in a grey hoodie, there is a pint glass right next to the figure after all.

Back