• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT303

WhistlingJack

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Cover: The Witch of Scrapfaggot Green

Strange Days:-
Rubble Rescues
Away From it All
Legends Come to Life
Classical Corner: Right Royal Pains
Necrolog: Ray Harryhausen (There's also a Harryhausen piece in the Forum section)

The Uncanny Valley

Doctor Phene's House of Mystery

Yes, got mine! Had a quick scan, and read the letters page. The one about the weresheep stories in the 1970s reminds me there was a film about that very thing called Godmonster of Indian Flats from 1973. See here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070119/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Maybe it was a transatlantic obsession for a while? There's a weresheep in the Hexham heads tale as well.

Got mine too.
Annoyingly though I had already had my bath. Couldn't justify two in one day.

My copy arrived yesterday! Have only read a little bit, but it looks very promising. A few points though from what I've read so far:

- Do you think we can ever, ever get an issue of FT that doesn't bang on about John Mitchell?
- That 'ghost photo' in IHTM is absolutely terrible. I don't think I've ever seen a more blatant photoshop. Why on earth did it even get printed?
- Lovely to see another crazy letter in the letter's page (re: Biblical giants are real). The 'government are hacking my computer because they don't want you to know the truth' was the icing on the cake.
- The ferrets on steroids story, OH LORDY. I don't think I've ever laughed as much at an FT story than that!

Can't wait to get through the rest of the issue!

Urvogel said:
- Do you think we can ever, ever get an issue of FT that doesn't bang on about John Michell?

:lol:

I have wondered that too...

As long as they don't mention You Know Who, I am fine with Mitchel...

Mine came last week. I took it to work and left it there, like a dork, and only retrieved it yesterday. :roll:

Can't wait to read it. :D

Mine hasn't arrived :( I suspect I'll be getting some cheap eggs instead.

Proof, if any was needed, that you don't mess with THE MAN.

I'd like to point out in passing that it is traditional for those whose copy hasn't yet arrived to be regaled with tales of how WONDERFUL this issue is, SURELY THE BEST EVER, and full of THE TYPES OF STORIES THAT YOU LOVE THE MOST! :lol:

Oh yeah! I mean, that picture on page 41 completely proves it for me! The age-old mystery finally solved, without a doubt, 100%.

The four main articles were pretty good this ish, the witchy one had a bit of an anti-climax but it's a good story, and the artificial-looking people article was really interesting and thought-provoking, maybe something to consider for the bad vibes thread too.

Surprised the Vril article didn't mention a certain hot, meaty drink, I thought it was the law to bring it up. Are they sure it was Alderaan they were on about? I don't think it's around anymore to check, I certainly felt a great disturbance in the Force when I did an online search.

I know this is next issue and not this one, but... Crook Frightfulness! Next time! Hey! It would be great if they'd unearthed some background on it.

Liked the Vril Society article, look forward to the book.

Some interesting book & film reviews.

Good barking letter about Giants from someone whose computer gets sabotaged by MIB (?).Funy they let her get awat with the letter.

Good obit/appreciation for Ray Harryhausen.

After a week in Sunny Queensland (as opposed to rainy Sydney, where the rain hasn't stopped all week!) I returned home to find my copy of FT. What bliss! I liked the bit about the kidney double up!

The letter about Radio Hacking and Aspidistra.....I was there the other week!

Sussex Police own the site now (it's used for training exercises), my department is running a live web streaming event from there in a few months so I was up there doing some techy testing stuff for that. We got a guided tour....

The bunker that was under Aspidistra was repurposed as a nuclear shelter during the Cold War, the South East would have been governed from there in a crisis.

After it was decommissioned the police bought it, the bunker is used as an archive and training rooms and the old buildings are used for all sorts of training.

The big mound is the base of Aspidistra - the tower is a modern mobile phone mast I think.

Me being led down into the bunker.....

If you want to see more of the place we'll be broadcasting live from there all day on the 25 July - I'll be filming but I might even get on the other side of the camera if you're really lucky http://www.sussexpolicepeople.co.uk/competition/

EDIT: Sorry about the massive thread hijack.

CarlosTheDJ said:
The letter about Radio Hacking and Aspidistra.....I was there the other week!

Sussex Police own the site now (it's used for training exercises), my department is running a live web streaming event from there in a few months so I was up there doing some techy testing stuff for that. We got a guided tour....

The bunker that was under Aspidistra was repurposed as a nuclear shelter during the Cold War, the South East would have been governed from there in a crisis.

After it was decommissioned the police bought it, the bunker is used as an archive and training rooms and the old buildings are used for all sorts of training.

The big mound is the base of Aspidistra - the tower is a modern mobile phone mast I think.

Me being led down into the bunker.....

If you want to see more of the place we'll be broadcasting live from there all day on the 25 July - I'll be filming but I might even get on the other side of the camera if you're really lucky http://www.sussexpolicepeople.co.uk/competition/

EDIT: Sorry about the massive thread hijack.

It looks as if you're being led away by the police! (And some would say about time too!) ;)

Back