• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT315

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Mine's is here! Ten whole pages for the Baldoon Mystery! The what? Very strange letter about Satanic UFOs, too. I need to settle down with the issue properly, but it looks good - special mention in the editorial for a hot FTMB topic too.

Hey, I got a free gift! On the Vincent Price article was a squashed fly! Lucky me!

That Peaches Geldof photo - that's just the baby's arm, isn't it?

gncxx said:

I dunno, it would have to be at quite a strange angle if it was the child's arm. I was thinking it's a hair tie.

gncxx said:
Hey, I got a free gift! On the Vincent Price article was a squashed fly! Lucky me!quote]

Do you think every subscriber gets a free squashed fly (or other insect)?

I mayu have mentioned the tardy appearance of some of the articles in the sidelines section before but the one about the scientist's findings says it came from The Week 2009!

Best issue in a long while. Have been quite critical of FT on this forum, as I felt it had become too dismissive/sceptical of paranormal topics and that there were too many religious articles eg Catholic miracles.

However, in this issue FT is back to what it does best, thanks guys!

Krepostnoi said:
gncxx said:

I dunno, it would have to be at quite a strange angle if it was the child's arm. I was thinking it's a hair tie.

I had another look at the photo, and it definitely looks like a child's hand. I can bend my arm back at that angle, and I assume babies are even more bendy, so I still say it's the kid whose head we can see.

Blimey 'Strange Days' is very Sussex-centric this month!

Welcome to my world.

The jab at our constant moaning about John Michell/Aleister Crowley made me giggle. Maybe we can arrange that bout for the next Uncon? :lol:

Loved the IMTM about the guy under anaesthetic who saw his grandfather and friend. Thought it was really heartwarming.

Urvogel said:
The jab at our constant moaning about John Michell/Aleister Crowley made me giggle. Maybe we can arrange that bout for the next Uncon? :lol:

That's assuming we get an Uncon! Would have been nice to have one last year for the 40th anniversary and 300th issue!

Baldoon Mystery piece

I thought the Baldoon Mystery article was excellent. Engaging writing style, thoroughly researched, primary sources quoted and cited, interpretative theorising - and terrific, evocative artwork on the cover and p. 31. There's something about 19th century American hauntings I find irresistible...Amhurst, Bell Witch...

This has, in my opinion, been one of the best issues for some time. The Baldoon Mystery article was great, I loved the Martian spiritualism article, Karl Shuker's discussion of the nandi bear was typically pragmatic, and I hope we see more of Simon Young's folklore pieces. And if I could turn Nils Erik Grande's letter on page 74 into a woman who'd fall in love with me, I would. Terrific issue!

"Reality Blinks"

Reading Jenny Randles on "Reality blinks" (p27). Fascinating stuff. She asked for examples from the readership.

Here's mine.

Two mornings ago, I was on my way back from the dentists. Admittedly I was a little spaced out from the procedure - removal of a root left behind by a previous dentist - but perhaps this is the right state of mind for these things? A slightly altered state of mind, due to anaesthetic and a little residual pain, plus a codeine tab or two that were just beginning to kick in.

Anyway.

Travelling on the 192 bus towards Stockport town centre. watching the shops go by - this part of Buxton Road is almost entirely commercial - and registering who they were and what they were selling. (In the usual detached not-quite-there" sort of way)

At a traffic lights, i had time and leisure to notice one corner shop appeared to have changed hands. Its shop sign said "Little People" very clearly in yellow letters on blue. I could even tell they appeared to be selling childrens' clothes, which made sense of the name. There appeared to be child-size mannekins in the window. (The bus was at red lights about a hundred yards away; I was looking forward obliquely to my left.)

The lights turned green and the bus set off again. I blinked. The shop sign now said "Litha Print" in white letters on blue. There was absolutely nothing in the window that suggested child-sized shop dummies. what I'd taken to be a childrens' outfitters was in fact a printing shop.

Was it the hangover from the dentist (me on drugs and a little pain?) Just a simple misreading of the shop name, for which my imagination filled in the picture of a clothes shop for "little people"? Or just maybe a genuine glimpse at an alternative world where a childrens' clothes shop replaced a printers? Or I slipped from one Stockport into the Stockport in the universe next door, and that's the only change I've noticed so far.....

Re: "Reality Blinks"

AgProv said:
At a traffic lights, i had time and leisure to notice one corner shop appeared to have changed hands. Its shop sign said "Little People" very clearly in yellow letters on blue. I could even tell they appeared to be selling childrens' clothes, which made sense of the name.

The lights turned green and the bus set off again. I blinked. The shop sign now said "Litha Print" in white letters on blue. There was absolutely nothing in the window that suggested child-sized shop dummies. what I'd taken to be a childrens' outfitters was in fact a printing shop.
I often experience things like this, without the need for medical drugs!

I put it down to heavy internet use, which encourages speed reading - there's so much info on an average web page that I tend to skim it, hoping to pick up on anything of interest, and I tend to do the same out in the real world. I've posted some of my experiences on FTMB, mainly in Misperceptions.

Or else the other sort of "Little People" were messing with my head....

AgProv said:
Or else the other sort of "Little People" were messing with my head....

Why have other people mess with your head when you can do it yourself, and for much cheaper...

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but there's a strange ad in this month's FT. I don't recall it being in any previous issues (although I may well have missed it before).

It's just a small ad that says "Collect Kemp Land".

I've tried Googling without success.

Any ideas?

TonyLaMesmer said:
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but there's a strange ad in this month's FT. I don't recall it being in any previous issues (although I may well have missed it before).

Any ideas?

Could it be, Austaralasian - New Zealand stamps?

Pietro_Mercurios said:
TonyLaMesmer said:

Any ideas?

Could it be, Austaralasian - New Zealand stamps?

As an Australian, I've never heard of this!

What's going on with the reviews this issue? A pseudoscience book gets a 9, but Godzilla gets a 6? That giants review made me cross enough to consider writing a letter in!

Rest of the issue was pretty good though!

Urvogel said:
What's going on with the reviews this issue? A pseudoscience book gets a 9, but Godzilla gets a 6? That giants review made me cross enough to consider writing a letter in!

Rest of the issue was pretty good though!

FT315 has been mine favourite issue in quite some time.

I agree a 6 isn't an appropriate rating for Godzilla. If I felt generous, I might have given it 4.

I was surprised the book about giants was reviewed with so serious a tone, and given so high a rating. In itself, that intrigues me, and perhaps I'll get this book when I have a space in my reading schedule. I can't really believe giants walked the Americas in ancient times. But, as Fort may have pointed out, even if we don't agree with the conclusions of those who bring data to our attention, the data is still there, and won't be buried. He also suggested such giants came from a near-Earth world called Monstrator. Perhaps the review was informed by a fondness for the roots of forteana.

Nope, if you look at that link there is a interactive PDF of a stamp collecting magazine and in the ads section at the back is the same mysterious "Collect Kemp Land" advert.

Not sure why but I find that more chilling than most of the content in the magazine, the thought that it is a coded message directed at a specific viewer. Almost like a Manchurian trigger...

I suppose the advertising team at FT could shed light on it if that wasn't breaching confidentiality.

Only just got around to reading this issue and wondered at first what the mock wrestling poster was all about. I don't actually remember making the FTMB post that they refer to, but I certainly agree with it... :)

Fame at last, although I actually had a whole Editorial column in a recent Empire devoted to responding to a gripe I had made on their message board. Editorial mentions are becoming a McHabit... :cool:

Back