• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT427

Haven't got mine yet. Did get some bills though, so not feeling left out particularly.

In WH Smiths yesterday, so I know the copy in the post would be imminent. Received it today.

First question. Concerning the articles on things going the wrong way into a bodily orifice normally concerned with one-way traffic in the other direction.

I can see exactly how somebody might have received rectal and intestinal injuries from a large unyielding metal object (apparently a 7.5" deodorant can - chap must have been hyper on personal hygeine) inserted deeply up the chocolate stairway. But the article also quotes the surgeon who did the removing as confirming the patient also had injuries to the oesephagus. I mean. How? Just how deeply did he insert the object? And from what direction? The mind boggles.

Last edited:
In WH Smiths yesterday, so I know the copy in the post would be imminent. Received it today.
Still waiting on mine. It’s getting boring running to the front door every time the letterbox rattles to find “it’s still not here”

Yup got mine yesterday I got the myths and legends book one Christmas many decades ago and still have it
loved it

Mine was stuffed in the letter box alongside this quarters ghost club magazine, a pleasant surprise after a hard day at work, the postie is spared from Blackpool re-education camp. For this month.

Last edited:
Liked the jenny randles article.
Is the ghost club magazine worth a look at titch

Good morning titch I might have a look at joining the club.
Thanks mate

Some observations.
p26: Stefan Michalak's burns, claimed to be proof of a close encounter. January 1968. I wondered where I'd seen that pattern of markings before. Then got it: cookery vids on Facebook. That great staple of American breakfast cookery, the waffle iron, designed to cook batter into pancake very quickly, comes in all shapes and sizes. But always a square grid pattern. This is something that would have been available in 1968 and it would take no ingenuity to hold one against your chest/stomach for as long as it takes to add credence to a story.
1673473501042.png

p20, the Mandela moment over Mysteries of the Unexplained. I have to ask. How many reprints has this book gone through? For instance, I first read Desmond Morris' Manwatching in the 1970's. I liked it: a copiously illustrated work of pop psychology that served as a useful introduction to the subject. A lot of the photos in that 1970's edition were eyecatching and, shall we say, caught the imagination of a teenage boy: the pictures were probably chosen as fanservice. (The one of a job candidate being grilled by a naked interviewer, for instance). I lost my original copy and when in the 1990's I saw a copy in a second-hand store that was virtually identical - bought it. took it home, discovered a lot of the pictures I remembered were not there. The text was the same, the pictures had changed. No longer the naked interviewer, and no longer (to illustrate the concept of relative power) the business tycoon being served coffee by a naked waitress. You remember these things. I felt vaguely cheated and also had a Mandela Moment without being able to put a name to it.
I looked at the small print in the early part of the book: Manwatching had first been published in 1977. Apparently I was holding a "revised third edition" published in 1990. Revision, apparently, had changed some of the pictures. My then GF snorted and said "What do you expect? Things have changed since the caveman days. No wonder they dropped those pictures!"

Could this explain where the Thunderbird went - it simply got dropped in a later reprint?

Last edited:
Some observations.
p26: Stefan Michalak's burns, claimed to be proof of a close encounter. January 1968. I wondered where I'd seen that pattern of markings before. Then got it: cookery vids on Facebook. That great staple of American breakfast cookery, the waffle iron, designed to cook batter into pancake very quickly, comes in all shapes and sizes. But always a square grid pattern. This is something that would have been available in 1968 and it would take no ingenuity to hold one against your chest/stomach for as long as it takes to add credence to a story.
View attachment 62381

p20, the Mandela moment over Mysteries of the Unexplained. I have to ask. How many reprints has this book gone through? For instance, I first read Desmond Morris' Manwatching in the 1970's. I liked it: a copiously illustrated work of pop psychology that served as a useful introduction to the subject. A lot of the photos in that 1970's edition were eyecatching and, shall we say, caught the imagination of a teenage boy: the pictures were probably chosen as fanservice. (The one of a job candidate being grilled by a naked interviewer, for instance). I lost my original copy and when in the 1990's I saw a copy in a second-hand store that was virtually identical - bought it. took it home, discovered a lot of the pictures I remembered were not there. The text was the same, the pictures had changed. No longer the naked interviewer, and no longer (to illustrate the concept of relative power) the business tycoon being served coffee by a naked waitress. You remember these things. I felt vaguely cheated and also had a Mandela Moment without being able to put a name to it.
I looked at the small print in the early part of the book: Manwatching had first been published in 1977. Apparently I was holding a "revised third edition" published in 1990. Revision, apparently, had changed some of the pictures. My then GF snorted and said "What do you expect? Things have changed since the caveman days. No wonder they dropped those pictures!"

Could this explain where the Thunderbird went - it simply got dropped in a later reprint?

An "anonymous guest" to this forum back in 2001 posted that they had seen the infamous Thunderbird photo in a publication called "The Unexplained", which is pretty close to the account in FT 427.
Must admit that thoughts of later reprints did cross my mind too, but that doesn't explain how this particular copy of "Mysteries of The Unexplained" could change its contents.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-legendary-thunderbird-photo.3229/post-16123

Back