• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Gnome Wars

I've seen such things along the German/Czech border - very odd.

The gnomes of Warsaw are lesson for future of new Europe

By Kate Connolly in Nowa Sol
(Filed: 05/03/2004)

Booming Poland and fearful Germany mirror each other's worries for life after May 1, says Kate Connolly in Nowa Sol

Plastic, gaudy and above all cheap, armies of garden gnomes huddle at Polish roadsides near the German border waiting to be snapped up by bargain-hunting tourists from the west.

The gnome armies are the apogee of central European kitsch, but they also signify something far more important. The little men are seen by many in Germany as pathfinders for other Poles who will offer an avalanche of cheap produce once the country enters the European Union on May 1.

A trade war has been raging between gnome manufacturers on both sides of the border since the early 1990s when Polish entrepreneurs, bursting for opportunities after decades of communist-era restrictions, recognised that with cheap labour, low-cost materials and lack of environmental legislation they could vastly undercut the prices of German gnomes. At least five million have been sold.

The results have been turbulent to say the least. While the cunning of hundreds of Polish manufacturers shamelessly copying thousands of German designs has made them their fortunes, scores of small family-owned businesses over the border have been driven to bankruptcy.

"Their cheek knows no bounds," said Andreas Klein, managing director of Gnome-Power in Otterberg, western Germany, which owns the patent for 1,600 computer-generated models. "They copy our designs but their gnomes are very inferior. They crack when the first frost comes, the paint chips off and due to the materials they use they're carcinogenic."

Such criticism cuts little ice with Polish businessmen such as Krystztof Baczek, 32, bricklayer turned gnome magnate. The owner of Westimex now produces 5,000 gnomes a month. The firm, started with £800 of capital, is now worth £3.4 million.

Sitting in his luxurious red-brick house in Nowa Sol, Poland's "gnome capital", he agrees only that the goods are cheap. "It's true, our gnomes are of a lower quality, but the German consumer doesn't seem to care when the price is so much less," he said.

In his factory, which stinks of a headache-inducing resin, are 400 dungaree-clad moles pushing wheelbarrows, a job lot for a German discount supermarket which will retail at £5. "Frankly you'd have to be a bit stupid to spend much on a garden gnome anyway," said Mr Baczek. German equivalents cost up to £26.

Germans fear that the bloody battle fought and won by Poland in their back gardens is just the beginning. From its tabloids to its more august broadsheets, from cabaret halls to political chatshows, Germany media outlets are awash with stories of how Polish cheap labour is to flood the country's already recession-hit economy.

They tell tales of German companies moving eastwards to take advantage of the lower employment costs and cheaper raw materials. There have even been stories of Germans suffering long-term unemployment turning up in Poland, taking jobs in hospitals and petrol stations.

They point to Poland's huge reserves of labour. With 38 million people it will become the sixth largest member of the EU on May 1.

There are other fears too. Poland is already doing a roaring trade in amphetamines and ecstasy tablets, earning it the status of Europe's second biggest supplier after the Netherlands.

Yet German fears are mirrored by Poles equally worried about what the EU will bring to them.

Last week in the town of Zaluski, a 45-minute drive from Warsaw, a handful of the country's two million farmers were being instructed on how to get the most out of the EU's programme of agricultural subsidies.

In a room filled with stocky farmers and their well-coiffured wives, an official was explaining the need to modernise farming practices. But the participants were clearly very anxious about the forthcoming changes.

They have until June to apply for subsidies which will entitle them to around 200 zlotys (£30) per hectare per year, a quarter of the amount which British and other western farmers are entitled to.

It is not a level playing field. Already millions of tons of French and German grain and meat have been dumped on the Polish market, crippling sections of the food industry. The imbalance will continue under a quota system, forcing Polish farmers to produce less than the country needs and so making imports inevitable.

"It's black magic to me," said elegantly dressed Barbara Wawrzankiewiz, 40, who farms 12 hectares (30 acres) with her husband Jan. "To start with I'll have to open a bank account."

In the meantime there are worries, probably well-grounded given experience among previous new entrants to the EU, that foreign businesses will launch a buying spree.

"People are fearful that Polish businesses will be take over by other Europeans and they won't get a look in," said Szymon Gutkowski, 34, one of the managing partners of the Polish marketing group DDB Warsawa.

There are already many examples. The electricity industry was recently taken over by a German company and a German-owned tabloid newspaper last month knocked the country's highbrow Gazeta Wyborcza from the top-selling slot for the first time since the collapse of communism.

But what rankles with the proud Poles more than anything is perhaps the state of the vodka industry. In just a few years 90 per cent of the business has ended up in foreign hands; companies such as Pernod Ricard are now repackaging age-old brands such as Wyborowa and selling them to the Poles as a trendy new beverage, at greatly inflated prices.

"Vodka was until recently perceived as a drunkard's drink and Poles as a nation of garlic-eating peasants," said Kai Schoenhals, a Polish-American who, with his film actress wife, has opened Poland's first vodka bar, Sense, in central Warsaw. Its regulars include Roman Polanski, the film director.

Compared to the concern for businesses, Polish workers have far less to fear. They are extremely cheap by west European standards.

According to the so-called Big Mac Index, a measure of earning power, the average Pole has to work for 50 minutes to buy a Big Mac compared to 15 in Ireland. Experts suggest that it may take 30 years to erode the economic advantage of low wages as living standards are dragged up by the effects of EU membership. Such low costs are already a magnet for foreign businesses which are paying ever better wages to Poles.

That has created a consumer boom which makes the country utterly unrecognisable from the dour days of communism and shortages.

A trip to one of the huge number of state-of-the-art shopping malls that seem to be springing up every week illustrates the attraction of the consumer deal the Poles now have. The stores, open all day, every day, with their wide aisles are often better stocked than British supermarkets.

In Tesco, the biggest supermarket chain in Poland, care has been taken to label many items Polski Produkt, appealing to the Poles' feisty determination to remember who they are, especially when under the yoke of the EU.

And despite some resistance to the foreign takeovers, the truth is that for the average Pole competition has already brought more choice and more jobs.

"The days when life for Poles consisted of jars of cucumbers, alcohol abuse and deep depression are over," says a diplomat.

"Of course a former Solidarity activist might feel like he'd been compromised, but not your young average Pole who wants to pick up a coffee from Starbucks on the way to work and go to Ikea at the weekend."

Source

just clicked on the link for the gnome reserve, when Dieter (the autistic one)walked in, guess whos crazy about gnomes?.Will now have to hand over pc to him while he opens every page,link ect, he cant read or write but finds his way around the www?.

I dont like Gnomes (shudder) even though I am an alpine enthusiast...

Was in the garden centre today and guess who I saw?

WINNIE THE POOH!!!!

(faints in horror)

I had two gnomes in my garden that the ex brought for the kids (knowing full well I hate the things), I've just been out to the bin and noticed they're gone.

I'm not too heart broken but I wonder if they've been kidnapped by students who will now send me postcards from them from all over the world....I do hope so. Do people do that anymore??

One of the online travel companies here in the states has an ad campaign around the traveling gnome. I think Travelocity?

What's with all the bizarre crap that people put in their yards? Gnomes are probably the most benign. One family we know has banners, fake flowers, a knight (6' tall), a cheesy faux Italian fountain, some kind of Indian fakir statue, and any number of smaller animal figures. One popular item (Ghu alone knows why) is a Mexican burro, with or without a human companion.

But my question is why!?!?

This stuff is hideous, and even I (he who has just enough aesthetics to match clothing colors) am grossly offended by it all.

I have a statue of Venus and a couple of jewelled dragon flies on long bendy sticks.......and a litle birdhouse......and a tiny man made out of tiny plant pots..........I never said I had taste ;)

Thats nothing, you should see what `some` people put on graves in `some` of the less regulated cemetries....

I think I shall put this in my will..."No windmills, small furry animals or nasty plastic things shall be placed upon my grave, and youd better be pretty tasteful in flowers"

But that doesnt beat the faux easter island statues that my local garden centre flogs.

(Having said that, they are a great bunch, they let me have broken pots for crocks for nothing, unlike some who shall remain nameless who `sell` them.)

..."You too can turn your garden into a desolate wasteland, just like the pascuans did!".....

momento mori

There is a morbid tradition in this region (I don't know how far it extends-but I don't recall seeing it in Kentucky and certainly not in Illinois) of marking the spot where a loved one died in a car accident with, at the very least, a cross with name and date of death. There are crosses some 3 feet tall, bedecked with garlands of plastic flowers and stuffed animals like teddy bears. I noticed that the one down the road from the house here now sports a planter of fake flowers. The state of Florida has banned such displays on state roads for the most part. There are still a few, though. And the state does provide a small, tasteful, non-intrusive maker at the spot for the family. A decent compromise in my mind.

To be honest, I'm not sure why someone would want a big, gaudy display to mark the death of a loved one. Maybe I'm overly-sensitive, but I would have a difficult time looking at the damned thing everyday. And I don't see why the public should be subjected to it, either. But then I tend to mourn very privately.

Homo Aves said:
I think I shall put this in my will..."No windmills, small furry animals or nasty plastic things shall be placed upon my grave, and youd better be pretty tasteful in flowers"
I don't know... I think I'll have my tomb stone say something like "If I'm pleased with your gift, your wish may be granted. Any blood offerings will be paid back in full upon the offerer." The disclaimer would be necessary, but I wouldn't mind hanging around in the afterlife to see how many knick-knacks pile up on my last little plot of real estate.

Re: momento mori

hedgewizard said:
There is a morbid tradition in this region (I don't know how far it extends-but I don't recall seeing it in Kentucky and certainly not in Illinois) of marking the spot where a loved one died in a car accident

Sadly that's happening here too.

Sometimes though it can be very poignant for at least the last 10 years there's always been a bunch of flowers on a bridge on the A13 near Orsett.

That took me a few moments to work out!:D

I read somewhere that the police sometimes put flowers at accident black spots as a kind of warning.

Lillith said:
Sometimes though it can be very poignant

I suppose so. There's one where a very nice young woman, just out of high school, was killed when a tractor-trailer dropped its trailer in front of her car, killing her.

On the other hand, the one down the road from home commemorates where a couple of stupid teens killed themselves and a older man who was a good person only in memory.

I dunno...I waver between sympathy and cynicism.

BTW, could you explain the A13 bridge near Orsett reference for your American cousins?

If I was mowed down by a car that last thing I'd want is a bunch of flowers stuck to a lampost, its ok, just about, till they start to die then it starts to look really sad and makes me feel a little down whenever I see it. I prefer those little night candle holders from Ikea a couple of those would be nice, but then I think they would become rusty though that might be quite nice as well.

Actually they could bury me with my jar of honey under the road itself and piss all the drivers off at the same time which would be a pleasing result. Or maybe outline the splat of my corpse with big white lines on the tarmack, a lasting reminder indeed. OR keep it old school and stick my skull on a pole by the road side with a big sign saying ' A car killed me'. An effective traffic calming tool? Hmmmmm. . .

Lulumanwoman said:
OR keep it old school and stick my skull on a pole by the road side with a big sign saying ' A car killed me'. An effective traffic calming tool? Hmmmmm. . .
:laughing: The old ways are so much nicer.

Re: momento mori

hedgewizard said:
There is a morbid tradition in this region (I don't know how far it extends-but I don't recall seeing it in Kentucky and certainly not in Illinois) of marking the spot where a loved one died in a car accident with, at the very least, a cross with name and date of death. .

A few miles away is a site where some bloke crashed & killed himself in a "borrowed" car.

The place is still marked two years on, with large bunches of flowers & one of those flower arrangements that spells out SON, all of which are renewed reguarly....

The sick thing about this display is at the time of the crash he was already facing charges, having killed a small child when he failed to stop at a pedestrian crossing, he didn't stop after hitting the kid either!!!!:(

hedgewizard said:
BTW, could you explain the A13 bridge near Orsett reference for your American cousins?

Sorry, an A road is one step down from a motorway, they're numbered in a haphazard fashion and the A13 winds through Essex and into London. Orsett is a place near Grays which is in Essex, it's not very nice. ;)

Thinking it over i reckon you Americans with your sleek, beautiful highways would die laughing at the state of our roads.

Lillith said:
Thinking it over i reckon you Americans with your sleek, beautiful highways would die laughing at the state of our roads.

I doubt they're any worse than the state roads for any given region of comparable size here. Some states, once you get off the Interstate system, the roads are horrid. One factor is scale. The whole of the UK is slightly smaller than the state of Oregon. Everything there is much closer. Seems to me that in England proper it's only 5 or 6 hours drive from north to south. Which is kinda neat, having everything close at hand.

The Interstate Highway system was Dwight Eisenhower's brainchild. He wanted to be able to move troops anywhere in the country, by land, as swiftly as possible. They are a blessing. From personal experience, I can tell you that traveling long distances (more than a hundred miles or so) without using the INterstates can be harrowing. And so slow. A trip though southern Georgia took about twice as long off the highways as it would have on them. And I'm here to tell you that southern Georgia is no place for Yankee like myself to get more than a hundred yards from the Interstate. Hell, when I leave Florida, I go though Alabama and avoid Georgia altogether. Nasty peopls in that state, IMHO.

Naughty Gnomes Made to Cover Up

Wed May 12,11:01 AM ET

BARNSLEY, England (Reuters) - A Barnsley man has covered up his lewd garden gnomes with painted-on swimwear after police warned him he faced arrest for causing public offence.

While most garden gnomes fish or enact scenes of bucolic tranquillity, ex-army sergeant Tony Watson's models in this northern English town bared their breasts and buttocks, prompting complaints from the public.

"It is an offence to display something that is insulting or likely to cause distress," a police spokeswoman said on Wednesday.

"Although some people view the gnomes as a bit of harmless fun, we have to take complaints from members of the public seriously."

One of the gnomes now sports a polka-dot bikini, said local resident John Threlkeld, who passes the gnomes every day on his way to work.

"Tony used filler and paint to cover them up," he said.

Source

Some folk cant bear to see others have a bit of fun, miserable sods.:hmph:

Puritanism is the sneaking suspiscion that someone, somewhere, is having fun.

hedgewizard said:
Puritanism is the sneaking suspiscion that someone, somewhere, is having fun.

Find this person and tell them to invite me out for a drink !;) .

Are You Kidding Me?

Nov 19, 9:19 AM (ET)

BERLIN (Reuters) - Thieves have stolen scantily clad garden gnomes from a gnome peepshow in an eastern German amusement park, park manager Frank Ullrich said on Thursday.

"The gnomes display naked body parts -- the same ones you'd expect to see in a human peep show," Ullrich said of his missing stars.

The adults-only attraction at Dwarf-Park Trusetal, where visitors peep through keyholes to see the saucy German miniatures in compromising poses, was smashed open early on Thursday morning.

Ullrich said he feared the gnomes would not be traced.

"I doubt they're standing in someone's garden, they'll have to have been hidden inside."

Source

I salute the Great British madness:

Underwater gnome threat 'returns'

A secret underwater attraction that lured several divers to their deaths could have returned, police say.

The "gnome garden" complete with picket fence was removed from the bottom of Wastwater in the Lake District after several divers died a few years ago.

It is thought they spent too much time at too great a depth while searching for the site of the ornaments.

Now police divers say there is a rumour that the garden has returned at a depth beyond which they are allowed.

Pc Kenny McMahon, a member of the North West Police Underwater Search Unit, said the gnomes were well known among the diving community.

Dive limit

He said: "Wastwater is quite clear at the bottom, but there's nothing to see. At a depth of about 48m, divers had taken gnomes down and put a picket fence around them.

"But several years ago there were a number of fatalities and the Lake District National Park Authority asked us to get rid of them.

"We went down there, put them in bags and removed the lot.

"But now there's a rumour about a new garden beyond the 50m depth limit.

"As police divers we can't legally dive any deeper so, if it exists, the new garden could have been purposefully put out of our reach."

'Extra pressure'

Wastwater is three miles long, half a mile wide and about 80m deep, the deepest in the Lake District.

Dave Dresser, from the Sub-Aqua Association, said different associations had different depth limits but theirs was 50m for air divers, and that was only for very experienced divers.

He said technical divers, who used a mixture of gases, could go below that depth.

He said: "You have got to be experienced to go below that sort of depth, especially in Wastwater.

"It's a very risky thing. In Wastwater, the water is very cold, which puts a lot of extra pressure on your body. It is very clear water which gives you a false sense of security."

--------------------
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/u ... 263761.stm

Published: 2005/02/14 16:47:39 GMT

© BBC MMV

3 divers killed by gnomes

By ALASTAIR TAYLOR

THREE divers were lured to their deaths in Britain’s deepest lake — by underwater garden GNOMES.

Pranksters placed about 40 of the ornaments 150ft beneath the surface of three-mile long Wastwater in the Lake District.

But the joke backfired when the three divers all died in quick succession after visiting the bizarre gnome garden.

Police fear inexperienced visitors may be spending too long at too great a depth to ogle the unofficial attraction.

Underwater search teams from Cumbria police have removed the gnomes several times.

But others have appeared within days.

Now cops fear the gnome quest could lead to more deaths in the 260ft deep lake.

PC Steve Carruthers said: “The gnomes have been a big attraction at Wastwater. People drive from all over the country to see the gnome garden.

“Tragically, we had three fatalities in quick succession so it had to be removed.”

One gnome is sitting on a wooden aeroplane while another is cemented on to a brick.

Regulars described the garden as “a secret society” for divers.

Rob Watkins, of West Cumbria Sub Aqua Club, said: “It gives them something to visit, but there is a temptation for divers to exceed their depth.”

Source

Lakes gnome garden’s fatal attraction for divers

Published on 12/02/2005

By Stephen Meredith

A SECRET gnome garden at the bottom of Wastwater has been blamed for the deaths of a number of divers.

But police efforts to remove the gnomes have been thwarted as the underwater garden ornaments have been quickly replaced.

Local divers say they have known about the collection for years.

“It’s a bit of a secret society among divers which no-one is meant to know about,” said Paul Renucci, an experienced diver from Carlisle.

“But now the secret has been revealed.

“Divers from all over the country have been coming to Wastwater for years to visit the garden and have tried to keep it quiet.

“I’ve seen around 40 gnomes down there but there must be more. They are all over Wastwater.”

The police’s North West Regional Underwater Search Unit removed the gnomes, after they were blamed for attracting divers to the murky depths of the lake.

But so far they have failed to stop divers adding to the gnome collection.

One gnome is sitting on a wooden aeroplane while another is cemented onto a brick. Another has a lawnmower and one has been affectionately named Gordon.

Plans are also afoot to create a similar gnome garden in Ullswater and divers have been busy creating signposts saying “gnome garden, this way”.

The gnomes can be found near an area known as the Pinnacles, where there are also commemorative plaques dedicated to divers who have lost their lives in the lake.

There’s even a rope leading directly to the garden and precise directions to it can be found on the internet.

PC Steve Carruthers, who has been a member of the police dive team for 14 years and supervised the underwater police investigation in Coniston after the discovery of Carol Park’s body, said: “It was a big attraction.

“People were driving from all over the country to see it. Tragically, we had three fatalities in quick succession so it had to be removed.”

Rob Watkins, who is chairman of West Cumbria Sub Aqua Club, visited the garden around a year ago.

He said: “There is a temptation for divers to exceed their depth so they do need to be careful.

“The gnome garden was created because there is very little to see in the lakes.

“It gives divers something to visit.

“Wastwater was probably chosen because it has the clearest water.

“When people see the gnomes they think they are hallucinating,” he added.

Other lakes also have unusual exhibits under the surface.

At the bottom of Coniston Water, a lake famous for hiding Donald Campbell’s Bluebird for many years as well as the body of murder victim Carol Park, divers have managed to create a bathroom complete with toilet and bath tub.

And if you ever happen to be swimming along the bottom of one of the county’s lakes, don’t be surprised to find a pair of rubber gloves filled with concrete sticking out from the silt.

Source

More links from the sidebar on the BBC page.

More discussion - I think the idea that they are a marker of achievment is an interesting one: Like putting a flag on Everest:

Secret garden

At the bottom of England's deepest lake, where diving becomes extremely dangerous, there is a gnome garden. Who built it - and has it lured several divers to their deaths? James Meek investigates

Friday March 18, 2005
The Guardian

One cold, overcast morning last autumn, Steven Winstanley, an amateur diver, stepped with a friend into England's deepest lake, Wastwater, in Cumbria. Winstanley, an engineer in his late 30s, was about to make a dive he had made before, in conditions he was trained to cope with, using a plan of staged descent and ascent timed to the minute. None the less, it would take him to the very limit of the recommended depth for air-breathing divers - 50 metres below the surface, where a single mistake, or a single piece of bad luck, can kill - and he was going well-equipped.

Winstanley wore a dry suit, a warmer version of the wet suit, thermal gloves and fins. Over that he wore a jacket known as a wing, with inflatable pouches and a metal back plate, to control buoyancy. On to that were fastened two 12.2-litre cylinders of compressed air. Under his left arm, he carried a third cylinder, air enriched with extra oxygen, to help him ascend faster. He carried a watch, a gas gauge, a wrist computer and written tables to make the metres-to-minutes calculations on which his life, and that of his buddy, depended. He wore a torch as powerful as a car headlight on full beam; he had two spare torches, a spare mask, and a long tube to give his buddy air in an emergency. Finally, in a string bag, he had a painted concrete garden gnome.

When, about an hour later, they surfaced safely, Winstanley was no longer bearing the gnome. It had joined a cluster of between 40 and 50 others at the bottom of the lake.

From the peaks of Whin Rigg and Illgill Head on Wastwater's southern side, an almost sheer slope of cliff and small boulders swoops 600 metres down to the water. Underwater, the cliff keeps going down, another 50 metres or so, before the slope begins to flatten out. The gnome garden lies close to the base of this underwater cliff, the Pinnacles.

To get there, divers paddle out to where fellow enthusiasts have fastened a white buoy just below the surface, which marks the beginning of an underwater rope. The rope travels horizontally for several hundred metres, then plunges almost vertically down towards the 45-metre mark. En route divers have fastened plaques in memory of deceased comrades, not all of whom died in Wastwater. At 15 metres there is said to be a gnome in a model biplane.

It is hard to exaggerate the hostility of the environment at the depth where the main gnome cluster is to be found. Although the water is exceptionally clear, the light rapidly falls off as the divers go deeper, and they rely on their torches. The water is cold, around 4C, and the air coming out of the divers' cylinders, for reasons to do with the laws of thermodynamics, can be much colder. Sometimes divers are breathing air at a Siberian -32C. In these circumstances, it is easy for the divers' regulators, the devices that feed them air, to freeze up. It is one thing to be trained to deal with your air supply suddenly being cut off; it is another when it happens for real.

To add to the potential for panic and disorientation, when the cliff ends, the lake bed becomes silty. A careless touch with a fin can release clouds of murk into the water, rendering torches useless and making it unclear what is up and what is down. And the fact that the lake is fresh water can lead divers accustomed to sea diving to make mistakes with their buoyancy calculations.

All these difficulties are intensified by the one overarching danger of diving while breathing air at such depths: a condition known as nitrogen narcosis, where the great pressure forces nitrogen into nerve cells responsible for brain processes, leading to a kind of drunkenness that gets progressively more severe. In Britain, divers suffering from nitrogen narcosis are said to be "narked". The British Sub-Aqua Club's 50-metre limit for air-breathing divers is based on the dangers of narcosis.

"When you're floating through the column you're getting colder, it's getting darker, and your mind is becoming more and more fuzzy," says Winstanley. "Some people become euphoric. Some, like myself, become pretty feverish. Some become violent or very serious. It's like alcohol, it hits people in different ways. When that happens it's a warning to get out of there."

Corporate memories are too short to be precise now but it seems that in the mid-90s, the agencies responsible for the lake - the National Trust, to whom it belongs, and the Lake District National Park Authority - got together with the police after a series of deaths of divers in Wastwater, one in 1996 and two in 1997. At least one of them had got into trouble close to the gnome garden, which at that point consisted of 18 to 20 gnomes, complete with a picket fence and even a little noticeboard. Police divers subsequently went down and laboriously dismantled it.

"The gnome garden that was prevalent 10 years ago was removed by myself and other divers," says Kenny McMahon, one of the police divers who carried out this purge. "We went down there, scooped all these gnomes up into bags, and removed the lot. I believe they got destroyed and put in a skip. The only gnomes in there now are new ones."

Despite the return of the gnomes, there has only been one diving death in Wastwater since 1997. In 2000, Paul Gallacher, a 33-year-old sales director from Leicestershire, was in deep water with a buddy, Adrian Hull, when they decided it was time to begin their ascent. "Halfway back to the line I put my hand on his shoulder and got a very violent reaction," Hull told an inquest the following year. "There were arms and legs and a total blackout with silt. Pat [Bryan, the instructor] saw the silt and joined me. We got back to the line and started doing our decompression stops and Pat went down again."

When Bryan found Gallacher, he was lying on his back in the silt. "He had clipped his torch to his hands and that was shining up. He was not breathing. I feared the worst," he told the inquest. In the end it took police divers six hours to recover Gallacher, who left a widow and two children.

There is little to suggest that Gallacher's tragic death was related to anything as trivial as gnomes: he was not even at risk from nitrogen narcosis. He was not breathing air, but a mixture of gases known as trimix, which replaces some of the nitrogen in air with helium. The inquest gave oxygen poisoning as the cause of death. The Leicestershire firm that had taken him to the lake to learn the use of trimix was later fined for failing to check Gal lacher's qualifications beforehand, although it was not held responsible for his death.

"It's just a fallacy, this idea that all the divers are doing is going in to see gnomes, and ending up staying too long," says Paul Renucci, a fish and chip shop owner and amateur diver who lives near the lake and has dived there often. "I think that's just a story that the press have put out to try and explain why divers are dying. That happens in any of the lakes, not just Wastwater.

"You're not going in there looking for gnomes, you're going in there for the rock face, which is awesome and inspiring. You're looking for rare, freshwater sponges. And the exhilaration of being completely weightless, spinning round in the water like a dolphin or a seal. It's the next best thing to being an astronaut."

Winstanley feels that the gnomes provide a focal point. They're fun. Two friends are preparing to plant ceramic dogs among the gnomes of Wastwater, he says. But for him, too, the sense of flying down into the void is the real thrill. "Have you seen James Cameron's Abyss?" he asks. "Towards the end of it you get a guy plummeting down a cliff face, free falling through a column of water, and that's exactly like Wastwater."

Past experience of flooded quarries from which divers have been banned suggests this would only drive the sport underground, so to speak, and as with caving, parachuting, rock-climbing and the other myriad ways British people have found to spend thousands of pounds on safety equipment and safety training in order to carry out unsafe activities, society seems to have a wide tolerance for the occasional tragedy.

"You can't stop people doing things that are exciting," says McMahon. "What you have to try and do is manage that danger. Unfortunately people get it wrong at times but I don't think banning diving is the direction to take."

Brian Cumming, safety and incidents adviser for the British Sub-Aqua Club, says that on average there are about 16 deaths among divers in Britain a year, against a rough estimate of two million annual dives. He says there is a social contract that obliges divers to do everything they can to avoid getting into trouble. "I think the other side of the contract is that we are an inquisitive species, that's what we do, we explore, push boundaries, and if we didn't the human race wouldn't be where it is today."

Perhaps, says Winstanley, it would be a good idea to move the gnome garden up to 30 metres. But it seems to be more a series of little monuments to risks taken and overcome by divers, rather than the cause of those risks.

"Even without a gnome garden people would do that dive, because it's very popular. There's the exhilaration. Being able to push yourself off the edge of a cliff and glide down and feel that nitrogen narcosis. All divers want to feel that, to know what it is, how they can deal with it."

Source

I have always thought it was the movie Amelie from Montmartre (2001)which started all that Travelling Gnome business which we have read about in the newspapers in the last years.

Or was the episode in Amelie from Montmartre taken from real life?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0211915/

Back