• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Gay Animals

Gay penguins won't go straight

Greets

hahahaha

Gay penguins won't go straight

A German zoo's plans to tempt its gay penguins to go straight by importing more females has been declared a failure.

The female penguins were flown in especially from Sweden in an effort to encourage the Humboldt penguins at the Bremerhaven Zoo to reproduce.

But the six homosexual penguins showed no interest in their new female companions and remained faithful to each other.

Zoo Director Heike Kueck said: "The relationships were apparently too strong."

A keeper confirmed that the male couples had adopted rocks which they were guarding like eggs in their caves.

The zoo has said that it will try again in Spring 2006, because the penguins are an endangered species and need to be encouraged to breed.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1279583.html

mal

Ooooooohhh!! Baaaaby!!!

Well, you know what they say ... 20% warmer, 80% tighter, 100% better! :twisted:

FWIW, there's a closely-related thread http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6377

'Gay Sheep and Human Sexuality' that focuses more on how or how not same-sex sexual activity among non-human animals should affect our understanding/attitudes towards same-sex sexual feelings/behavior among humans.

Zoo defends bid to mate gay penguins

Zoo defends bid to mate gay penguins

The director of a German zoo has defended her campaign to mate a group of homosexual male penguins with females, arguing that it is the only way to preserve a dying breed from extinction. Heike Kck said that she had been inundated with criticism by the gay lobby after making public her plan. 'We're simply trying to help save a threatened species,' she said of the Humboldt penguin, a bird whose homosexual tendencies are well known to zoologists.

Six penguins at Bremerhaven Zoo in north-west Germany provoked excitement across the world when, in the absence of any females, they were discovered wandering around in pairs, trying to mate with each other and sitting on stones as if they were eggs.

Gay groups reacted with outrage when four female penguins were flown in from Sweden to allow keepers to see if they had any influence on the homosexual pairings.

Since then gay activists from as far afield as Australia have been protesting at the zoo's attempts to 'cure' the penguins of their homosexuality. The zoo has been bombarded with threatening letters and telephone calls.

www.telegraph.co.uk

Equal rights for gay penguins!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4264913.stm

"Gay outrage over penguin sex test

Humboldt penguins are threatened with extinction.

Gay rights activists have protested at a north German zoo's plans to test the sexual orientation of six male penguins which have displayed homosexual traits.

Bremerhaven's Zoo am Meer said it would introduce four extra female penguins from Sweden to the group to see if the males really were gay.

But zoo director Heike Kueck said "gay groups worldwide have been cursing us since that announcement".

The zoo says it just wants to encourage the rare Humboldt penguins to breed.

The males have been observed trying to mate with each other and trying to hatch offspring out of stones.

"We don't know whether the three male pairs are really homosexual or whether they have just bonded because of a shortage of females," said Mrs Kueck, quoted by Germany's Der Spiegel news magazine.

Gay groups insisted that penguins had a right to form couples without human interference, she said.

"Nobody here wants to forcibly separate homosexual couples," she said.

Only one baby Humboldt penguin has been born at the zoo, which has six males and four females, Der Spiegel reports".

First Emperor penguins and now Queen penguins :)

This looks a lot like people trying to read human behavioural traits into another species.

Penguins can stay gay

Greets

Penguins can stay gay

A German zoo has scrapped plans to break up homosexual penguin couples following protests from gay rights groups.

The Bremerhaven Zoo had earlier flown in four female Humboldt penguins in an attempt to encourage three couples discovered to be all male to reproduce.

The zoo originally defended the experiment, claiming that the birds were an endangered species, but following protests from gay rights groups, director Heike Kueck has said that the zoo is abandoning the plan.

She said: "Everyone can live here as they please."

Kueck said that it was neither her intention nor possible to separate the gay couples by force and interest them in their new female companions.

She added that the penguins had shown little interest in their new female companions but said that the programme could have been started too late in the year.

Gay groups had earlier protested against "the organised and forced harassment through female seductresses" in an open letter to Bremerhaven's Mayor Joerg Schulz.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1284769.html

mal

Penguins can stay gay

Greets

Penguins can stay gay

A German zoo has scrapped plans to break up homosexual penguin couples following protests from gay rights groups.

The Bremerhaven Zoo had earlier flown in four female Humboldt penguins in an attempt to encourage three couples discovered to be all male to reproduce.

The zoo originally defended the experiment, claiming that the birds were an endangered species, but following protests from gay rights groups, director Heike Kueck has said that the zoo is abandoning the plan.

She said: "Everyone can live here as they please."

Kueck said that it was neither her intention nor possible to separate the gay couples by force and interest them in their new female companions.

She added that the penguins had shown little interest in their new female companions but said that the programme could have been started too late in the year.

Gay groups had earlier protested against "the organised and forced harassment through female seductresses" in an open letter to Bremerhaven's Mayor Joerg Schulz.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1284769.html

mal

The existence of homosexuality as a biological fact (i.e. not just in 'cultural' humans) is pretty well accepted by the current research. At the genetic level it is a actually a good argument for neo-Darwinism. The reason being that it derives from the genes that make individuals attracted to the opposite sex. The argument runs that it is the multiplication of those genes, not the species that is key. The genes give rise to very strong behaviours which result in the mating behaviour. In some individuals the genes get expressed in a way that causes a preference for the same sex, however the net effect is still positive for the multiplication of the gene because it drives a desire to have sex. Whilst the strategy may result in non-reproductive behaviour for a few, it results in more reproduction in most individuals, hence it persists in an equilibrium in a population.

In some respects it could be likened to the persistence of the sickle cell gene which whilst fatal in some cases, also conveys some resistance to malaria. I am not in anyway suggesting homosexuality is a disease, merely pointing out that a purely biological level it is a manifestation of powerful genetic influences on mating behaviour which can result in a phenotype that is apparently counterintuitive to notion of 'evolutionary success'. Genes simply survive and multiply in the environment the best way they can. They have no idea of 'morality' or aesthetics.

As pointed out, environmental and population factors may interact with the genes, but the evidence seems to suggest a good degree of heredity. Unlike sickle cell, complex behaviour traits like this are determined by multiple alleles at multiple loci, so tracing their origin is difficult.

At one level this means that it is pointless to argue that homsexual humans are that way by choice - they simply are. As a condition, it offers no significant challenges to society that heterosexuality does in terms of peoples responsibilities and behaviours. However, clearly, some people seem to find it objectionable on aesthetic or moral grounds which are subjectively derived. In that regard it is up to society to find a way of dealing with the issue. In this area we are not the slaves of our genes.

The 'gay animals' debate is in truth more a debate over these attitudes rather than a biological one.

Well this is kind of ridiculous. Before people start calling me a homophobe let me explain why.

If the penguins are gay than breaking them up would be pointless because they wouldn't want anything to do with the females. I just don't understand why people are getting their feathers ruffled (pun intended) over this.

For those who don't get FT is hard copy, or who may have missed the issue, the book Biological Exuberance was reviewed s few years back. Highly reccommended on this topic.

shonda said:
Well this is kind of ridiculous. Before people start calling me a homophobe let me explain why.

If the penguins are gay than breaking them up would be pointless because they wouldn't want anything to do with the females. I just don't understand why people are getting their feathers ruffled (pun intended) over this.

There are several bird species that stay monogamous for life - so if they've gone and paired up with a bird-of-the-same-sex, then seperating them will probably be pretty unpleasant for the gay penguins in question.

They could always just use a turkey baster (I assume it works with penguins too...)

I think it's a bit daft to label these birds 'gay', anyway, since 'gay' is a human societal construct, same with bisexuality, heterosexuality and chocoholism etc.

Xanatic said:
Sounds far fetched.

Anyway, do anyone know of any twins that have different sexualities? Both one-egged and two-egged.

There's roughly 50% chance that a homosexual twin will have a straight sibling. So that throws out the 100% genetic theory.

Penguins mate for life and so they wont be interested in other mates, however attractive.

I would try artificial insemination. that and rearing the chicks in mixed sex schools.

This is all so confusing, even for someone who IS gay.

On the one hand, it does seem a bit weird for it to be genetic or hereditary, as such a thing results in *not* breeding and therefore would be difficult to pass on.

But along the same lines, I have a disorder which under normal circumstances would prevent me from breeding... And it definately IS caused by faulty genetics. So who knows.

All I can vouch for is that, in most cases, it's not a choice. Nor can I pick out any particular time in my life that "turned" me lesbian or whatever. As far as I know, I've just always been like this. :?

There have been recent reports of a "gay gene" for men. However, what that particular gene appears to do is raise the level of sexual activity in the gay man's sisters, aunts and other close female relatives. This ensures that these women leave more decendents than women who lack that gene variation. However, when men inherit the variant it raises the likelihood that they will be gay rather than more highly sexually active. (Although maybe gay men are more active than their straight brothers, the report didn't say.) The report claimed that this variant accounted for about 8% - 10% of gay men.

It doesn't seem to apply to lesbians though.

Can animals be homosexual?

Ian Sample
Thursday June 16, 2005
The Guardian

Very probably, but declaring it might not be wise, as Oxford student Sam Brown discovered when he was arrested for asking a mounted police officer if he knew his horse was gay.

In his 1999 book, Biological Exuberance, Bruce Bagemihl documented many cases of homosexual behaviour in animals. But as researchers point out, occasional homosexual behaviour is not the same as exclusive homosexuality. "The issue is complicated because we don't know anything about the eroticism in the heads of animals," says Linda Wolfe, head of anthropology at East Carolina University.

Wolfe has spent much of her time studying homosexual behaviour in animals, chiefly non-human primates. The variety of same-sex interactions is as diverse as any dreamed up by humans, she says, although prudishness often prevents it being discussed. "It's particularly bad in the US," she says. "There's a video some researchers made of male bachelor gorillas engaging in fellatio, but it still hasn't been shown in the US," she says. "As far as I know, homosexual behaviour has been observed in all manner of animals, and if pleasure is driving it, why wouldn't they?"

Last year, Charles Roselli at the Ohio Health and Science University reported differences in the brains of gay rams. Certain groups of cells that govern sexuality in the rams' brains were different in those that preferred rams to ewes. According to Roselli, about 8% of domestic rams show a sexual preference for other males.

Bagemihl's book caused a stir when it was published, not least because of a speculative chapter about the implications of gay animals on Darwinism. According to the Wolfe, the explanation may be little more than animals seeking sexual pleasure.

www.guardian.co.uk/life/thisweek/story/ ... 64,00.html

Germany's gay zoo penguins still fending off female advances

Wed Feb 8, 3:08 PM ET

BERLIN (AFP) - Six gay penguins at a German zoo are still refusing to mate with females of the species flown in from Sweden in 2005, the zoo said.

The problem was that the female Humboldt penguins have proven too shy in their advances, the director of the zoo in the northern port city of Bremerhaven said.

"The Swedes will not make the first move," Heike Kueck said.

The females were flown in last year in a bid to bring the males to mate and help save the Humboldt species from extinction.

Kueck said last year she was optimistic the initiative would be successful because zoo keepers had noticed that at one point a female penguin had managed to cause a couple of males to "separate".

The zoo has 10 male penguins of which six have shown strong signs of preferring male company and formed couples among themselves.

The initiative to "turn" the penguins and make them mate had prompted a furious response from gay rights groups.

In a statement posted on its Internet website, the zoo on Wednesday sought to defend itself from fresh criticism.

"We will be delighted if the penguins form even one heterosexual couple and manage to produce first an egg, and then a little one," it said.

"But of course we accept the male couples that have formed and we are not trying to enforce heterosexuality, as we were accused of doing last year."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060208/od ... denscience

To call an animal gay simply because it attempts to perform an act of intercourse on a same sex animal is anthropomorphism, IMO. Whereas much of human sexual attraction is based of appearance and personality (in essence, an attraction based on concept and imagination more than anything else), with most animals it just comes down to scent.

It might be that the randy animal is confusing certain scent signals. Or that the 'humpee' is, for whatever reason, is exhuding the wrong kind of pheromones.

Even despite the well documented differences in the brains of gay rams and their hetero bretheren?
There's more going on here than merely a scent issue - and to suggest that animals only work on an olfactory attraction as opposed to a visual signal is to ignore a huge body of evidence to the contrary...

The "culture" issue

Well, many of us writing here seem to assume non-human animals have no "culture." In fact, any group of "singular points of consciousness" (i.e. anything possessing consciousness functioning socially) develops it's own culture. I once read an article which unfortunately I can't link you to about how chimps in one part of Africa had hand gestures the others understood, but the gestures were different in different "tribes," which is a clear description of varying cultures. Someone here wrote about animals using tools to masturbate-- the use of tools indicates a culture. It can even be cross-species. I had a cat live with me for years, and after he died, I returned home to view a now-lost "culture" that he and I had developed to suit ourselves.

In my view and experience, it seems we humans either need to stop elevating our urges above those of other kinds of people, or we need to elevate their urges to the same level we regard our own as inhabiting.

Re: The "culture" issue

peterbernard2O9 said:
Well, many of us writing here seem to assume non-human animals have no "culture."

Thats doubtful - I think the 1999 chimp culture paper in Nature helped to turn that corner for the majority of people. I'd imagine Forteans were ahead of the curve on such matters ;)

See:

Chimpanzee culture and intelligence
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3689

Monkey language and culture?
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8372

Cetacean Culture
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12747

Even despite the well documented differences in the brains of gay rams and their hetero bretheren?

Depends what the difference is though, dunnit. Could be that this 'difference' might be more of an olfactory/pheromone issue than one of procreation.

Perhaps, but it has been shown that the ram's who prefer boys have brains which developed in a manner closer to that of a ewes. IIRC this was posited as evidence of an over or under exposure of hormones in the womb.

So, whether they are responding to the male pheromone or not, the point is that the brain behind the reasoning is built not like a hetero rams, but as a hetero ewes. I would make a hazardous supposition and suggest that the attraction isn't simply limited to pheremonal response.
The only way to test for that would be to remove the pheromones from the equation and see if the sheep still get interested in boys...

*puts on some Barry White and puts a bottle of wine to chill*

The problem with separating animals into 'hetero' or 'gay' is that it is way too reductionist. For a start, when we talk of 'animals' we are talking about a vast number of species, sub-species, classifications etc, each with their own unique set of behaviours and dispositions. Simply because one animal - say, the human animal - has a sexuality that is easily divisible into 'homo' or 'hetero' (amongst others), that shouldn't neccesarily make it applicable to the massively broad sweep that is the animal kingdom itself. After all, if one male flea attempted to mate with another male flea, would we therefore have gay fleas? Or, to put it another way - if you accept that animal sexuality is divisible along human lines, then you would, by logical extension, have to also accept that a dog which tries to hump its master's leg is the canine equivalent of a zoophile.

Science told: hands off gay sheep

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... _2,00.html

Science told: hands off gay sheep
Isabel Oakeshott and Chris Gourlay
Experiments that claim to ‘cure’ homosexual rams spark anger
SCIENTISTS are conducting experiments to change the sexuality of “gay” sheep in a programme that critics fear could pave the way for breeding out homosexuality in humans.

The technique being developed by American researchers adjusts the hormonal balance in the brains of homosexual rams so that they are more inclined to mate with ewes.

It raises the prospect that pregnant women could one day be offered a treatment to reduce or eliminate the chance that their offspring will be homosexual. Experts say that, in theory, the “straightening” procedure on humans could be as simple a
s a hormone supplement for mothers-to-be, worn on the skin like an anti-smoking nicotine patch.

The research, at Oregon State University in the city of Corvallis and at the Oregon Health and Science University in Portland, has caused an outcry. Martina Navratilova, the lesbian tennis player who won Wimbledon nine times, and scientists and gay rights campaigners in Britain have called for the project to be abandoned.

Navratilova defended the “right” of sheep to be gay. She said: “How can it be that in the year 2006 a major university would host such homophobic and cruel experiments?” She said gay men and lesbians would be “deeply offended” by the social implications of the tests.

But the researchers argue that the work is valid, shedding light on the “broad question” of what determines sexual orientation. They insist the work is not aimed at “curing” homosexuality.

Approximately one ram in 10 prefers to mount other rams rather than mate with ewes, reducing its value to a farmer. Initially, the publicly funded project aimed to improve the productivity of herds.

The scientists have been able to pinpoint the mechanisms influencing the desires of “male-oriented” rams by studying their brains. The animals’ skulls are cut open and electronic sensors are attached to their brains.

By varying the hormone levels, mainly by injecting hormones into the brain, they have had “considerable success” in altering the rams’ sexuality, with some previously gay animals becoming attracted to ewes.

Professor Charles Roselli, the Health and Science University biologist leading the research, defended the project.

He said: “In general, sexuality has been under-studied because of political concerns. People don’t want science looking into what determines sexuality.

“It’s a touchy issue. In fact, several studies have shown that people who believe homosexuality is biologically based are less homophobic than people who think that this orientation is acquired.”

The research is being peer-reviewed by a panel of scientists in America, demonstrating that it is being taken seriously by the academic community.

Potentially, the techniques could one day be adapted for human use, with doctors perhaps being able to offer parents pre-natal tests to determine the likely sexuality of offspring or a hormonal treatment to change the orientation of a child.

Roselli has said he would be “uncomfortable” about parents choosing sexuality, but argues that it is up to policy makers to legislate on questions of ethics.

Michael Bailey, a neurology professor at Northwestern University near Chicago, said: “Allowing parents to select their children’s sexual orientation would further a parent’s freedom to raise the sort of children they want to raise.”

Critics fear the findings could be abused.

Udo Schuklenk, Professor of Bioethics at Glasgow Caledonian University, who has written to the researchers pressing them to stop, said: “I don’t believe the motives of the study are homophobic, but their work brings the terrible possibility of exploitation by homophobic societies. Imagine this technology in the hands of Iran, for example.

“It is typical of the US to ignore the global context in which this is taking place.”

Peter Tatchell, the gay rights campaigner, said: “These experiments echo Nazi research in the early 1940s which aimed at eradicating homosexuality. They stink of eugenics. There is a danger that extreme homophobic regimes may try to use these experimental results to change the orientation of gay people.”

He said that the techniques being developed in sheep could in future allow parents to “play God”.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the pressure group, condemned the study as “a needless slaughter of animals, an affront to human dignity and a colossal waste of precious research funds”.

The tests on gay sheep are the latest in a long line of experiments seeking to alter the sexuality of humans and animals.

Günther Dorner, a scientist in the former East Berlin, carried out hormone-altering tests on rodents in the 1960s in the hope of finding a way to eradicate homosexuality.

In 2002, Simon LeVay, an American neurologist, claimed to have discovered that homosexual and heterosexual men had physically different brains. His tests on the corpses of gay men who had died of Aids were widely criticised.

Peta aren't the best people in the world but at least they agree It's wrong to use an animal for this.

Gay sheeps got rights too you know!

Were those gay chops with the little white chefs' hats on their bones?

I polished off six of them last night and it was a pretty empty experience. :(

Why dont we link this to the `Paedoggon` thread and see what happens?

Back