• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Get Struck By Lightning, Become A Violinist

MrRING

Android Futureman
Boy Survives Lightning Strike
Everyone has those defining moments that change lives forever. Some are pleasant and some are devastating, like the moment when lightning stuck 18-year-old Kyle Jones of Gwinnett County.

The incident, which occurred eight years ago, should have taken his life, but it, instead ended up adding to his life in an unexpected way.

On Mother’s Day in 1995, Kyle -– who was 10-years-old at the time -- and younger brother, Matt, were in the woods near their Sugar Hill home on an overcast day. Suddenly, out of nowhere, lightning stuck. The lightning traveled through Kyle’s upper body and exited though his foot.

“I ran into the woods and saw him for the first time,” said father Steve Jones. “I first saw the sneaker still on fire, the sock was disintegrated.”

“His body was all contorted and his eyes were just a gray glaze and you knew, you knew he was really about to die,” he added.

“It was horrifying. All I could do was say, ‘Lord, he’s your child, take care of him,’” said Denise Jones, Kyle’s mother.

Doctors at the closest hospital redirected the paramedics to Grady Memorial Hospital. The doctors on the way to Grady were not optimistic, Kyle’s father said.

“”We don’t think he’s going to make it and you just have a few seconds to see him one last time before we get him back in the ambulance,” the doctors told Kyle’s father.

“We were praying in the car and all of a sudden, I just had a peace, that I just knew that he was gonna live,” Denise Jones said.

Kyle did make it to Grady alive. Even so, with second- and third-degree burns over 75 percent of his body, there was still almost no chance of him surviving. Not only was Kyle’s skin burned, he was also electrocuted and was burned from the inside out.

The family was told that if Kyle did survive, he would be hospitalized somewhere between nine months to a year. However, within just a few days, Kyle’s badly burned face had new skin and in just one month, not nine, Kyle was allowed to go home.

“It’s definitely a miracle. I don’t think you can give any other reason for it,” Kyle said, who remembered nothing of the day.

“He really has no lasting problems,” Denise Jones said. “It’s just an incredible miracle, it really is.”

Additionally, as a result of his rehabilitation, Kyle became an accomplished violinist. He had never touched the violin before but had to redevelop his body. “I guess they wanted me to do stuff with my hands just to strengthen them,” he said.

He now plays for the Clemson orchestra, where he is now a sophomore. “Every time we hear him play the violin all we can do is say, ‘Thank you Lord for seeing him through,’” Steve Jones said.

Kyle did not lose his memory or his muscle tone as predicted. Meanwhile, successful eye surgery reversed the cataracts that he had developed and all of his skin grafts took the first time, which is rare.

Asked if he ever asked himself why he had to go through the experience, Kyle replied, “I guess I used to when I was little. It’s hard for a little kid to understand...But, I guess God has a reason for everything.”

http://www.11alive.com/whatson/seenontv/seenontv_article.asp?storyid=38862

Back