• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghost Buildings

LaurenChurchill

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I've read a few posts about buildings seen that don't, in fact, exist and I love hearing about them. I can't find any threads though, so has anyone got their own stories or even stories you've ripped from some obscure book?

As a start, I'll link y'all to a ihtm post I found:

http://www.forteantimes.com/happened/ghosthouse.shtml

And copy out this story that I found in 'Unexplained Mysteries of the 20th Century' by Janet and Colin Bord (1989), ISBN 0-8092-4113-7:

This is a phantom cottage seen beside Loch Mullardoch near Cannich, in the highland region of Scotland. The two men who saw it, while climbing in the mountains, were both very experienced climbers, being members of the Lochaber Mountain Rescue Team Donald Watt is team leader and George Bruce is a member of the team. While decending Beinn Fionnlaidh they noticed a two-story cottage on the loch below. It was made of granite and looked in good condition, but was in the opposite direction from the hut they were heading for. George Bruce said:
The cottage was on the shore. There was ground behind it and the loch beside that. Donald and I had a conflab as we hadn't seen it on the map and didn't know of its existance. We decided to head for it. It caught us completely by surprise. We headed on down towards the cottage, discussing it. We kept it in our sights for some time and then lost view of it. We assumed that we would see it again when we got over the crest of a hillock but when we joined the path along the shore there was no cottage to be seen.
They kept walking but there was no cottage around the next corner either. George continued:
We looked back up the hill to get a line from where we had decended in case our bearing might be out. Round a corner we went, and another, and another. But no cottage. Eventually we reached the wooden hut. Then we had a bit to eat. The cottage was so real we just can't explain it.
Afterwards they found that there had been a lodge at the loch, but it was now underwater since the area was flooded and dammed in the 1950s. George concluded:
What I would like to see is a picture of the house to discover whether it relates to what we saw. I'm 45, quite fit, have 50-50 vision. I've been known to find pennies on the hill - being an Aberdonian. I will swear blind I saw this cottage. Thank goodness Donald was there to back me up. This has shaken us. I have an open mind but this defies all explanation as far as I'm concerned.

Cool huh?

I remember reading in the months after 9/11 that some people claimed to still be able to see the towers from a distance, as they had been used to. Sounded like wishful thinking to me, though.

I read a story about a phantom guest house - I can't remember many of the details but have definitely read about it in books on the subject. It concerns two people (either a married couple or couple of old ladies) driving around in the West Country (devon/cornwall way). Late at night, looking for somewhere to stay. They come across a guest house and on equiry, discover rooms for the night. Place is lovely, food lovely etc. In the morning, they drive on, vowing to return as it was so lovely. On return, there is no evidence of house on the site, and when they researched it, could find no evidence there was ever a guest house there.

Excuse bald telling of tale - have done numerous searches on the net but can't find anything about this story.

I know that story. Is it on one of the other disappearing house threads?
If not, I may have it in a book.

Most disappearing buildings are 'seen' by strangers to an area, I have read, who misinterpret a fleeting glimpse of a building for something else.

There's this one:

20th-Century Guests Stay in 19th-Century Hotel

From "World of Strange Phenomena" by Charles Berlitz, published 1988 by Wynwood Press.

It all began innocently enough in October 1979, when two couples in Dover, England, set off on a vacation together, intending to travel through France and Spain. It ended in a journey that took them to another world.

Geoff and Pauline Simpson and their friends Len and Cynthia Gisby boarded a boat that took them across the English Channel to the coast of France. There, they rented a car and proceeded to drive north. Around 9:30 that evening, October 3, they began to tire and looked for a place to stay. They pulled off the autoroute when they saw a plush-looking motel.

Len went inside and in the lobby encountered a man dress in an odd plum-colored uniform. The man said there was no room in the motel but there was a small hotel south along the road. Len thanked him and he and his companions went on.

Along the way, they were struck by the oddness of the cobbled, narrow road and the buildings they passed. They also saw posters advertising a circus. "It was a very old-fashioned circus," Pauline would remember. "That's why we took so much interest."

Finally, the travelers saw a long, low building with a row of brightly lit windows. Some men were standing in front of it and when Cynthia spoke with them, they told her the place was an inn, not a hotel. They drove further down the road until they saw two buildings: one a police station, the other an old-fashioned two-story building bearing a sign marked "Hotel." Inside, everything was made of heavy wood. There were no tablecloths on the tables, nor was there any evidence of such modern conveniences as telephones or elevators.

The rooms were no less strange. The beds had heavy sheets and no pillows. There were no locks on the doors, only wooden catches. The bathroom the couples had to share had old-fashioned plumbing.

After they ate, they returned to their rooms and fell asleep. They were awakened when sunlight filtered through the windows, which consisted only of wooden shutters -- no glass. They went back to the dining room and ate a simple breakfast with "black and horrible" coffee, Geoff recalled.

As they were sitting there, a woman wearing a silk evening gown and carrying a dog under her arm sat opposite them. "It was strange," Pauline said. "It looked like she had just come in from a ball but it was seven in the morning. I couldn't take my eyes off her."

At that point, two gendarmes entered the room. "They were nothing like the gendarmes we saw anywhere else in France," according to Geoff. "Their uniforms seemed to be very old." The uniforms were deep blue and the officers were wearing capes over their shoulders. Their hats were large and peaked.

Despite the oddities, the couples enjoyed themselves and, when they returned to their rooms, the two husbands separately took pictures of their wives standing by the shuttered windows.

On their way out, Len and Geoff talked with the gendarmes about the best way to take the autoroute to Avignon and the Spanish border. The officers didn't seem to understand the word "autoroute," and the travelers assumed they hadn't pronounced the French word properly. The directions they were given were quite poor; they took the friends to an old road some miles out of the way. They decided to use the map instead and take a more direct route along the highway.

After the car was packed, Len went to pay his bill and was astonished when the manager asked only for 19 francs. Assuming there was some misunderstanding, Len explained that there were four of them and they had eaten a meal. The manager only nodded. Len showed the bill to the gendarmes, who smilingly indicated there was nothing amiss. He paid in cash and left before they could change their minds.

On their way back from two weeks in Spain, the two couples decided to stop at the hotel again. They had had a pleasant, interesting time there and the prices certainly couldn't be beat. The night was rainy and cold and visibility poor, but they found the turnoff and noticed the circus signs they had seen before.

"This is definitely the right road," Pauline declared.

It was, but there was no hotel alongside it. Thinking that somehow they had missed it, they went back to the motel where the man in the plum-colored suit had given them directions. That motel was there, but there was no man in the unusual suit and the clerk denied such an individual working there.

The couples drove three times up and down the road looking for something that, they were now beginning to realize, was no longer there.

They drove north and spent the night in a hotel in Lyons. Room with modern facilities, breakfast and dinner cost them 247 francs.

Upon their return to Dover, Geoff and Len had their respective rolls of film processed. In each case, the pictures of the hotel (one by Geoff, two by Len) were in the middle of the roll. But when they got the pictures back, the ones taken inside the hotel were missing. There were no spoiled negatives. Each film had its full quota of pictures. It was as if the pictures had never been taken -- except for one small detail that a reporter for Yorkshire television would notice: "There was evidence that the camera had tried to wind on in the middle of the film. Sprocket holes on the negatives showed damage."

The couples kept quiet about their experience for three years, telling it only to friends and family. One friend found a book in which it was revealed that gendarmes wore the uniforms described prior to 1905. Eventually, a reporter for the Dover newspaper heard [the story] and published an account. Later, a television dramatization of the experience was produced by a local station.

In 1985, Manchester psychiatrist Albert Keller hypnotized Geoff Simpson to see if he could recall any more of the peculiar event. Under hypnosis he added nothing new to what he consciously remembered.

Jenny Randles, a British writer who investigated this bizarre episode, wonders, "What really happened to the four travelers in rural France? Was this a timeslip? If so, one wonders why the hotel manager was apparently not surprised by their futuristic vehicle and clothing, and why he accepted their 1979 currency, which certainly would have appeared odd to anybody living that far back in the past."

The travelers -- perhaps time-travelers -- have no explanation. "We only know what happened," says Geoff.

Source

Edited to add source URL :oops:

escargot1 said:
I remember reading in the months after 9/11 that some people claimed to still be able to see the towers from a distance, as they had been used to. Sounded like wishful thinking to me, though.

Quite possibly the brain filling in missing details of a familiar scene. Perception is a very funny thing!

The story about the couples in France was featured on Strange but True, presented by Michel Aspel in the mid 90's.

Does anyone know if any research was carried out to see if there was ever an inn on the site in the first place?

The book of that series states that "they" - unclear if this means both couples - tried some years later to relocate the hotel and found only a lay-by opposite. Mature trees were growing on the spot. They claim the local Tourist Board was approached but had no information.

There was no attempt by the show to identify and investigate the site.

That programme also contained a section devoted to a motoring couple who claimed to have experienced a time-slip on a visit to Bampton, Devon. As they drove through it, it was full of flowers and a notice that it was Best Kept Village, 1976. This was 1993. Returning through the place, all the flowers and colour seemed to have faded from the place.

It's a less elaborate tale than the French hotel saga. So inconsequential that it's hard to imagine anyone bothering to make it up. :roll:

This happened to a friend of mine when he used to build conservatories some 20 odd years ago. He was on his way home one summer evening, it was still light and him and his mate were on a long stretch of road. They went through this small village that sat on a crossroads, and about ten minutes later his work mate said that he needed a drink and wondered where the nearest pub was. My friend suggested that they turn around and go back because they hadn't long left the village. His work mate said that they hadn't gone through habitation for quite some time. The driver turned the car around and drove back the way they came. There was no village. My friend said that thinking back he thought it was odd that he didn't see a single soul in that village.

gazzo10 said:
http://www.parascience.org.uk/articles/time.htm

A thread for some timeslips which have taken place at Bold St. Liverpool.

Those were good stories. Thank you! :D

It is odd that these time slips happened in the middle of Liverpool as I have heard another story about a police officer shopping and not only finding himself in the 1950s but talking to a young girl who had been caught up in the same time slip. I think this is quite a well known case as I'm sure it's been in FT but I can't remember enough details to find it.

I would recommend anyone interested in retrocognition to read "Adventures in Time" by the late Andrew Mackenzie. The book contains a number of accounts of houses/streets seen by witnesses that could subsequently not be located.

There was an interesting story in "Phenomena" by Mitchell and Rickard. In the 1970s a man entered a newsagents shop and asked for some envelopes. The shop was very old-fashioned and so was the dress of the female assistant behind the counter. After paying for the envelopes, which were very inexpensive, the man left the shop. The envelopes quickly disintigrated and the account stated that investigation found that that particular brand had not been made for over 50 years. I cannot recall if the man was unable to find the shop again or if it had suddenly transformed into a modern establishment charging 1970s prices. Perhaps someone who still has a copy of the book could clear that part up.

corsair2000e said:
There was an interesting story in "Phenomena" by Mitchell and Rickard...
The story is recounted on this forum somewhere, if I recall one comment claimed that tests had been done on the stationery and it was revealed to be fairly old, but not as old as the story had claimed it to be.

Think its in the Transdimensional Gas Station thread.

The envelopes tale is not, so far as I can tell, in Phenomena. It is in The Unexplained part-work, page 646 in a piece by Joan Forman.

It concerns a man called Mr Squirrel and took place in Great Yarmouth in 1973. The manufacturers said the type of envelopes had first been used during the 1920s but they were not positively dated.

JamesWhitehead said:
The envelopes tale is not, so far as I can tell, in Phenomena. It is in The Unexplained part-work, page 646 in a piece by Joan Forman.

It concerns a man called Mr Squirrel and took place in Great Yarmouth in 1973. The manufacturers said the type of envelopes had first been used during the 1920s but they were not positively dated.

It's also in Joan Forman's book The Mask of Time which has plenty of other timeslip stories as well. Published in the late 70s, it might be possible to find one secondhand.

IiRC Jenny Randles cites it in one of her books on time travel (referencing it to Joan Forman).

My apologies for attributing the envelopes story to Phenomena. I haven't read Forman's book or The Unexplained, but suspect that it was in The Directory of Possibilities (by Colin Wilson?). However, I had not read such a full account as given in the other thread and was unaware of the nature of the envelopes--I assumed they were for letters. A puzzling story. If it is not a complete hoax by the witness then I wonder why a woman in Edwardian dress was able to sell envelopes dating from the 1920s or should that be late 1950s if the manufacturer was correct? Weren't pre-1947 silver coins made of real silver or at least had some silver content? Perhaps if the witness had given the assistant an old shilling she was examining it to see if it was pre-1947?

Geoff and Pauline Simpson and their friends Len and Cynthia Gisby boarded a boat that took them across the English Channel to the coast of France. There, they rented a car and proceeded to drive north.

I imagine that strange things would happen to anyone who drove a car North from France across the English channel !

Resurrecting an old thread here, it reminded me of an interesting (although quite mundane) thing that happened to me and my wife when we were on holiday in the West Highlands of Scotland a few years ago.

We had gone for a walk and were looking across a small sea inlet from the top of a hill. It was a pleasant but nondescript scene with only a single small stone-built cottage visible. I had binoculars so looked at the cottage in more detail (we often think about buying a remote cottage in Scotland) and saw it briefly then the binoculars jiggled and it went out of sight. I tried to locate it again but couldn't then lowered the binoculars and the cottage had gone. My wife had seen the cottage too but didn't see it 'disappear' so to speak.

Trying to make sense of it later, we speculated that perhaps we had seen the side of a lorry parked on a small road running along the edge of the inlet, and not looking too closely, assumed it was a building. Maybe the lorry then moved away and went rapidly went out of sight before we took a proper look again. To be honest, it isn't a great theory and it is pretty implausible in a number of ways. But it makes more sense than a disappearing cottage!

I'll add the 1979 French motel account mentioned on page 1 is in the final episode of Arthur C. Clarke's World of Strange Powers TV show, and features interviews with those who experienced it if you want to hear a first hand telling.

Resurrecting an old thread here, it reminded me of an interesting (although quite mundane) thing that happened to me and my wife when we were on holiday in the West Highlands of Scotland a few years ago.

We had gone for a walk and were looking across a small sea inlet from the top of a hill. It was a pleasant but nondescript scene with only a single small stone-built cottage visible. I had binoculars so looked at the cottage in more detail (we often think about buying a remote cottage in Scotland) and saw it briefly then the binoculars jiggled and it went out of sight. I tried to locate it again but couldn't then lowered the binoculars and the cottage had gone. My wife had seen the cottage too but didn't see it 'disappear' so to speak.

Trying to make sense of it later, we speculated that perhaps we had seen the side of a lorry parked on a small road running along the edge of the inlet, and not looking too closely, assumed it was a building. Maybe the lorry then moved away and went rapidly went out of sight before we took a proper look again. To be honest, it isn't a great theory and it is pretty implausible in a number of ways. But it makes more sense than a disappearing cottage!

G'day Asparagus,

Your experience with a disappearing cottage doesn't sound unusual to me - I tend to think that you did see an apparition, which then disappeared. I prompted a conversation named 'Odd unexplainable appearances' and recieved some good explanations.

Nice story! This reminds me of a tale told to me by an acquaintance by way of making a point about the nature of visual perception.

This chap was on a flying holiday in the US (I forget where), hiring a light aircraft from a small airfield to enjoy the scenery and fine weather to fly cross-country to other local airports. At one of the unfamiliar places he was flying into he'd had problems getting lined up early with the runway on his final approach due to a lack of obvious reference points, but recieved some helpful advice from one of the local pilots, who explained that before turning he should look out for a particular house - which stood out by being visible through the trees, or was painted a particular colour, or whatever - and put it right on the aircraft's nose. My friend tried this out and found it worked perfectly...until a few days later.

Arriving at the same airfield he failed to sight the house at all and elected to complete a few more circuits in order to settle down and get his bearings, after which eventually located the building again - although it looked 'wrong' - and descended onto his final leg only to find himself even further off track. By this time the runway was clearly in sight and he was able to sort out his approach, but the house (quite near the runway threshold) was now in completely the wrong place.

This was all rather bewildering and the hero of our story had begun to doubt his own competence - and was on the verge of imagining himself the victim of some Bermuda Triangle-style weirdness or being in need of a brain scan.

It turned out the house in question had earlier that morning been hoisted onto a low-loader and was being trundled very slowly to a new location - at one or more points it must have been obscured by trees or high ground from certain angles. Unfortunately, no one had thought to warn him :D

I am currently reading Haunted Shropshire by Allan Scott-Davies, on p67 it mentions a phantom country house overlooking Morville, appearing with a period garden party in full-swing. Minutes after becoming visible it bursts into flames and disappears. The book claims there are no records of a building ever existing on the site. I've never heard of this one before, but the book is rather thin on details...

Here's a funny thing. Couple of weeks back we were out on the bikes as usual and I saw a large farmhouse coming up on the right.
Had a good look, watching for emerging tractors/horse riders etc as you do, and noticed that most of the tiles were missing from the roof and I could see straight through it to the sky.

I thought 'How weird! You'd think they'd tarp that up right away!' and 'Better watch out for the contractor's van too then!'

I called out to Techy as it seemed a bit rum, and as we drew level I saw that the roof was actually intact. This really surprised me and I had a second of thinking 'What the flip did I just see?'

It must've been a trick of the light. Weird though.

Back