• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghost Figure at Bolivian Football Match

ChrisBoardman

Justified & Ancient
It's definitely a spider cam. Must just be an optical illusion. It's hardly HD footage either in the clip.

Can't watch it, my (Supposed) broadband speed is total bollox. The Daily Fail site doesn't help either, trying to flog me stuff instead of playing the video - Irony is, one of their adverts is telling me to buy Sky Go so I can watch "Anywhere". I have Sky go and can't 'Cos my broad band (Sky) sucks eggs. Rant over.

It sure ain't HD but then it's not Sky Sports broadcasting the FA Cup Final...very much standard definition that IMO the audio depicts someone capturing it on their iPhone for upload.

If it is a spider it sure knows how to run in a straight line across the stadium seating.... :nonplus:

EDIT:

The clip on You Tube

Better quality, slightly longer and with a close up of the "spider"....interesting the way it moves through the barrier....and it keeps a very straight line all the way along which is something that "spider cam / ghosts" don't do....those white blobs and falling leaves never move in that manner...that I can recall...

I'm not saying it's a ghost though....

Moooksta said:
....interesting the way it moves through the barrier....and it keeps a very straight line all the way along which is something that "spider cam / ghosts" don't do...

Surely spider cams travel on a system of straight lines - as far as I know they can't do anything else.*

I think McAvennie's right - I think it's a mobile simulacrum. It looks to me like an object between the POV and the stand (but much closer to the POV than a first look might suggest) - and running parallel to the stand. And although I have no real clue how the system is set up it would make sense to me (and a few google images suggest the same) that the cabling used to operate a spider cam is fixed in relation to the geometry of the stadium, and that therefore parallel lines are not out of place.

*Edit. Actually, that's technically right - I think - but misleading: the actual spider cam can of course be made to move in an arc, however the system of cables that allows it to do so is all straight lines, and therefore movement in a straight line would not be out of place.

Hogarth999 said:
...That's definitely a person and not a 'spider cam'.

Yes, after all, now it's a bit clearer (and barring some creative enhancement) looks like you're right.

Also looks to me that he's just running really fast and running in front of a set of people but on a lower bench level. Nothing supernatural about it as far as I can see.

Looking at the parallels created by the benches there seems to be a slightly thicker line at that point, which makes me wonder if there's a well or walkway there, which might indicate that the figure is running in front of things and not 'through' them.

I work in sports broadcasting for the company that produces the coverage for the World Cup, consequently over the past years I've seen a lot of spider cam work, testing, footage etc... and to me it looks exactly like a spider cam does when it is being quickly moved back to the centre of the pitch.

That motion would occur shortly after a period of action at the goal, where the spider cam would have followed the play and found itself located down over the goalmouth. As the goalkeeper is preparing to take a goal-kick the spider cam would be quickly pulled back into a default position over the centre of the pitch. That is exactly what is happening in this clip... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9sbIJgmfqc

However, this video is different - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh8LgRA13Ao - and clearly looks like a man. However, we all know that what we see in this video is physically impossible. Nobody reacts. This clip is taken from a different angle and to me the guy running down the stairs seems to be jerky, like a CGI addition.

My theory, someone has noticed the spider cam on the broadcast footage and mistaken it for a 'phantom'. Someone with access to SuperSport's other camera angles has taken the wider shot and using effects software this second video has been produced adding in the guy running down the stairs before merging with the spider cam.

Although... what I would say is that it is highly unlikely that a Bolivian league match would have a spider cam system installed. This is one of the less high-profile South American leagues, it is not a country that has an upcoming FIFA junior event so would be no reason to be testing such technology. Even English Premier League matches do not have spider cam coverage, the last World Cup only matches at five venues used it.

It can't possibly be a guy running through the seats. It's not a ghost. Spider cam + CGI trickery remains the most logical solution to me. My conviction has been nudged slightly though...

EDIT: The match was actually a Round of 16 Copa Libertadores match, which is the equivalent of the Champions League in South America. This makes the use of spider cam much more plausible.

Okay, having looked into it more and having found a picture of the stadium I would find it highly unlikely that a spider cam system would be able to be rigged up at that venue.

So I guess it is a ghost... :shock: :lol:

Bl3Cfq5IEAA4v9K.jpg

And this image from the night of the match in question makes it pretty clear that there was no spider cam system rigged up.

Blob_tSIcAAULj3.jpg

I'm wondering if it was bleed through of another transmission, one from an athletics event especially the triple jump...or it could be a ghost.

Hogarth999 said:
More detail on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh8LgRA13Ao

That's definitely a person and not a 'spider cam'.

Also looks to me that he's just running really fast and running in front of a set of people but on a lower bench level. Nothing supernatural about it as far as I can see.

I agree.
Doesn't look like a spider cam to me.

On some of the videos you can see the "entity" running down the stairs before running to the right..
Verdict: PERSON. :!:

But the speed seems to be incredibly fast...

If you look at the gap between the rows of seats, where he is running seems to be a slightly larger gap than between other rows. Maybe there is room for a man to run.

Maybe it's a security guard alerted to something.

Edited 'cause Chris edited and ruined a perfectly good typo.

Back