• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghost Ships: Spectral Ships & Vessels

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Hello - I would like to get some answers out of you lot about things that i can't really remember

• Who was the English King/Prince who saw it?
  • Any other accounts?
  • Any Other ghost ship stories
  • are there any around the british coast?
  • Can i lump the marie celeste in, as well?
thankees

George V.
Dozens!
Hundreds!
Loads!
No, the Mary Celeste was a derelict, not a ghost.

Last edited by a moderator:
come on people! stories! just because i spam a lot doesn't mean my serious fortean questions are invalid!

Google these;
Great Eastern
Eurydice
Lady Lovibund

They're all British, too.

The Flying Dutchman was Captain Hendrik van der Decken, who set sail from Amsterdam to make his fortunes in the East Indies. As the ship rounded the Cape of Good Hope, a storm blew up, battering the ship to pieces. The devil appeared and asked van der Decken if he were willing to ride straight into the storm and defy God's will. Van der Decken agreed, and doomed himself to roam the sea ceaselessly til Judgement Day. Or, if the James Mason and Eva Gardner film is to be believed, until he finds the true love of a good woman, willing to sacrifice herself for him. (I always loved that film!)

Prince George, later George V, at the time a 16 year old Royal Navy midshipman, made an entry in his logbook aboard HMS Inconstant off the coast of Australia on 11th July, 1881. He wrote :

At 4am The Flying Dutchman crossed our bows. She emitted a strange phosphorescent light as of a phantom ship all aglow, in the midst of which light the masts, spars and sails of a brig 200 yards distant stood out in strong relief as she came up on the port bow, where also the officer of the watch from the bridge saw her, as did the quarter-deck midshipman, who was sent forward at once to the forecastle, but on arriving there no vestige nor any sign whatever of any material ship was to be seen either near or right away to the horizon, the night being clear and the sea calm.

The seaman who had first sighted The Flying Dutchman apparently fell to his death, and the admiral of the fleet died shortly afterwards. She was also spotted in September, 1944, by four people relaxing on the terrace of their home at Mouille Point, Cape Town. She was heading into Table Bay. They followed its progress for about 15 minutes before disappeared from view behind Robben Island.

In March 1939, almost 100 people saw a fully rigged sailing ship appear out of the heat haze, with it sails full, although there was no wind. The ship appeared to be heading for a distant, isolated beach, but as the witnesses watched, the ship vanished as suddenly as it had appeared.

Another ghost ship haunts Goodwin Sands, a sandbank that has claimed 234 wrecks. The Lady Lovibond ran aground on 13th February, 1748. The ship had left London for Oporto, Portugal, with its newly married skipper, Captain Simon Peel, his bride and some wedding guests. According to legend, a jealous mate, who was also in love with the bride, murdered Peel and steered the ship to a suicide course on to the Goodwins. The entire company was drowned. 50 years later, to the day, a three-masted schooner identical to the Lady Lovibond was seen heading for the Goodwins. The crew of a fishing boat followed and heard the sounds of a celebration and women's voices, before the schooner hit the sands, broke up, then vanished. The same apparition was seen 50 years later, by a group of watchers near Deal, Kent, on 13th February, 1858. Watchers in 1948 saw nothing, visibility being poor.

The Palatine lurks off Rhode Island. It left Holland in 1752, packed with colonists heading for Philadelphia. A winter storm blew the ship off course, the captain was lost overboard, the crew panicked and mutinied. Two days after Christmas, it ran aground on rocks off Block Island and began to break up. The ship began to be pulled back out to sea as the storm abated, but dozens of local fishermen looted the ship and took off the passengers, before setting the wreck ablaze. As they watched it drift out to sea, fully ablaze, they saw a woman appear out of her hiding place, and stand screaming on the deck until the fire engulfed her. The battered sailing ship has been seen since, burning.

just what i'm looking for

thanks, helen, that's great

Prince Edward (the current one) is supposed to have caught video footage of a ghost ship (possibly the Flying Dutchman) whilst filming his Crown and Country TV series for the History Channel. As I've never seen the Isle of Wight episode, I don't know if it appeared in th programme.

A Dutch freighter found adrift in the Indian Ocean with a crew of stiffs wearing thoroughly unpleasant facial expressions.

Helen said:
The Palatine lurks off Rhode Island.

I've been informed that the Palatine story is a rather sensationalised version of the fate of a vessel named Princess Augusta*.

*Philip MacDougall, Phantoms of the High Seas, (David and Charles, 1991)

From my Fortean Timeline:

1917 - two days after leaving Falmouth, the ship Zebrina was found deserted. Weather had been excellent, ship was in good condition, but crew had vanished (between Falmouth and St. Brieux).

I suppose the rictus could also be explained by strychnine poisoning? Or even tetanus/lock-jaw perhaps?

Just a thought.

Mystery of "Ghost Ship"

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/auspac/01/14/aust.ghostship/index.html

Edit for clarification:

This link refers to the abandoned trawler High Aim 6.

Ghost ship mystery deepens

The riddle of an Indonesian-registered, Taiwan-owned trawler carrying several tons of rotting fish, seven toothbrushes, but no crew is baffling Australian police.

The "ghost ship" was found last week drifting aimlessly off the Western Australian coast and has since been towed to a quarantine bay close to the fishing port of Broome.

However, police say that despite an extensive search there is no sign of the ship's crew, or any indication of what might have happened to them.

"We have insufficient evidence at this stage to even speculate on what has occurred," federal agent Bill Graham told reporters.

The mystery has deepened further after investigators revealed Tuesday that the ship, the High Aim 6, had recently been some 3,500 nautical miles (6,500 kilometers) away in the Marshall Islands, halfway between Papua New Guinea and Hawaii, The Australian newspaper reported.

Shortly afterwards the owner reported to U.S. authorities that the ship was missing after he had been unable to contact its captain. ...

Insurance Scam

The original Marie Celeste mystery was eventually more or less proven to have been an insurance scam gone partially awry, and this one may be simply a case of piracy, maybe drug smuggling gone sour, or something equally mundane.

However, could just as well be UFOs, a Kraken, interdimensional portals, a monster on board that scared them all off, or a mysterious cult at work, if not a case of the ship having blundered across something it "wasn't meant to see", thus forfeiting the lives of all on board so some creepy Admiral can maintain OpSec.

It's almost too bad this didn't happen in conjunction with the release of the recent B schlock horror movie GHOST SHIP, isn't it? Then we'd have cynically concluded it was public relations nonsense.

As is, the families of those aboard, at least, would like to find out what's happened.

So what's the general consensus of opinion on the modern M Celeste, then?

Carole

Google News

(This link leads to a listing of most recent news stories citing the phrase "ghost ship."

If ever the mystery is solved I'm betting drugs will be involved.

Alcohol Cask & Piracy & Drugs

The alcohol cask theory of the Marie Celeste was actually floated, apparently, by one of the insurance fraud conspirators to provide a semi-reasonable explanation for everyone being gone.

This new case, down under, is interesting for its general lack of evidence, but that rather smacks of an orderly take-over and a march-off, probably to certain death at the hands of pirates of some sort intercepting a drug shipment. That'd be my guess.

Red Dalek said:
Prince Edward (the current one) is supposed to have caught video footage of a ghost ship (possibly the Flying Dutchman) whilst filming his Crown and Country TV series for the History Channel. As I've never seen the Isle of Wight episode, I don't know if it appeared in th programme.

I remember seeing stills of this in a national paper, it looked to me like an old sailing ship but whether it was real or a ghost I don't know! The pics were fairly clear, there are bound to be copies on the net somewhere.

The still of the phantom ship was taken on the south coast of the Isle of Wight, near Brighstone. It's a "regular" haunt, usually late in the evening in the summer months.

There's also a ghost ship which beaches itself in Prussia Cove in south Cornwall.

This is a great detailed look at the Flying Dutchman phenomenon, and the most recent sighting:

There is a story that the phantom ship entered Table Bay, and was fired on by the garrison, but there appears to be no record of this. Many other sightings have been recorded, however. Keepers of the Cape Point lighthouse often reported seeing her during storms. In 1835, R. Montgomery Martin, South Africa's first statistician, described a personal encounter with Van der Decken's vessel. In 1879, the steamer S.S. Pretoria changed course, after the passengers and crew saw lights which they thought to be a distress signal. A strange sailing ship was seen, but it vanished when the steamer approached it. In 1911, an American whaler almost collided with the ghost ship, off the Cape Peninsula, and as recently as 1959, the crew of the freighter Straat Magelhaen reported a near collision with the Flying Dutchman.

Helen said:
Another ghost ship haunts Goodwin Sands, a sandbank that has claimed 234 wrecks. The Lady Lovibond ran aground on 13th February, 1748. The ship had left London for Oporto, Portugal, with its newly married skipper, Captain Simon Peel, his bride and some wedding guests. According to legend, a jealous mate, who was also in love with the bride, murdered Peel and steered the ship to a suicide course on to the Goodwins. The entire company was drowned. 50 years later, to the day, a three-masted schooner identical to the Lady Lovibond was seen heading for the Goodwins. The crew of a fishing boat followed and heard the sounds of a celebration and women's voices, before the schooner hit the sands, broke up, then vanished. The same apparition was seen 50 years later, by a group of watchers near Deal, Kent, on 13th February, 1858. Watchers in 1948 saw nothing, visibility being poor.

wasnt that dissmissed as a work of fiction?

ill try to look for info about it anyway (may take time tho)

ghost ship found (RE: The High Aim 6 mystery)

found this while searching for info on the Joyita, which was found crewless in 1955.

ghost ship found

"GHOST SHIP" FOUND OFF THE COAST OF AUSTRALIA
"Somewhere in the Indian Ocean, before the sun's rays bounced off the waves on the third day of 2003, something happened aboard the High Aim No. 6, a long-line fishing boat."

"When the (Royal) Australian Navy came upon the 80- foot vessel six days later, on (Thursday) January 9 (2003) it was drifting, on full throttle, the main gas tank dry. The auxiliary fuel tanks, full, had not been switched on. When the sailors boarded, they found 10 tons of valuable bonito tuna in the refrigerated hold."

"A partial carton of Marlboro cigarettes and a jar of Nescafe were on the dash above the helm in the wheelhouse, along with the captain's reading glasses. The crew members' clothes and international documents were neatly where they should be."

"But there was no crew. Vanished. Gone."

"What happened to the crew of the High Aim has baffled Australian investigators and salty sea veterans, as well as the residents" of Willie Creek, W.A. "in this sparsely populated, far-off corner of Australia, who have come to call it 'the ghost ship.'"

"The High Aim left Taiwan on October 31 (2002) with a captain and engineer and sailed to Indonesia, where on November 16 (2002) it picked up a crew of eight."

"The owner talked with his captain on (Monday) December 16 (2002). It was the last known contact with the boat."

"Every theory is quickly dashed on the shoals of contradicting facts, and more questions surface."

"The first assumption was that the boat had belonged to people smugglers. But for many reasons, that has been discounted, officials said."

"Mutiny comes to mind. But there was no blood on the boat and no other evidence of a struggle."

"The only thing that was missing was the high- frequency radio. This suggests that someone did not want the crew to radio for help. That suggests pirates. But pirates would have taken the boat and the valuable tuna."

"If the crew did flee in a life raft, where are they? The weather at sea" in the Indian Ocean "has been calm for the past two weeks, so they could have rowed to safety."

"'We wait with bated breath,' Australian Customs Service official Paul McCoy said." (See the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for January 18, 2003, "Australia clueless about crewless boat," page 6A.)

(Editor's Comment: So here's the latest "mystery of the sea," a mass crew disappearance similar to the Marie Celeste in 1872 and the Joyita in 1955. Was the High Aim crew abducted by a passing saucer? Or did they cross the path of that fearsome sea phantom, the Flying Dutchman? You decide, readers.)

Back