• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Ghost Village" (Imber) Bells Ring After 70 Years

I wonder if any long-dead parishioners heard the bells and turned up for worship... :D

When theres many redundant churches need attention, this one seems pretty low on the list

I wonder if any long-dead parishioners heard the bells and turned up for worship... Very Happy

it'd be a bit late for them to be worrying about where they're going after they die! :lol:

Imber to me is emotive...........

The people were evacuated with very short notice, on the basis of the necessities of war & a vague promise & a hand shake, to let the people back at the end hostilities!!!!

In the late 60's possibly early 70's, people were allowed back about one day a year, the houses still remained. I remember a 1920's white phone box.

Then everything but the church was demolished & a cement block town was constructed to enable the army to practice house to house fighting in Northern Ireland or Germany, the stories varied.

That was when the old families knew they were never going to return!!!!!

Bit late, just one day left...

Deserted village church opens for Easter

Closed and shut off throughout the year, the church lies in a ghost village in the heart of Salisbury plain, an area that has been cordoned off by the Ministry of Defence for training for over 60 years.

Imber was officially evacuated for military training purposes in 1943.

The 700 year-old church is the only building in the abandoned WW2 village of Imber to have heating and running water.

There will be an Easter Egg hunt for kids and the chance for visitors to walk around the deserted village.

For more information on events and opening times click here.
http://www.itv.com/news/west/update/2015-04-03/deserted-village-church-opens-for-easter/

I visited this church in 2013. Its actually very far from disused - there is a support group and the church is open when the range is inactive. Don't know how often that happens but there is supposed to be access on 50 days a year. There are some other old buildings but as mentioned above most have been replaced by 'wargames' ones. The church itself is not used in the exercises and the graveyard is intact.

Would make an excellent setting for a spooky Hammer style movie.

Back