• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghosts At English Heritage Sites

A

Anonymous

I'm compiling a dossier of ghost stories from English Heritage sites and wondered if anyone out there had had any spooky experiences at any castles/stone circles etc. I've got some great stories so far , but not many contemporary one (except the photographer who was thrown up in the ait at the Rollright Stones).
thanks

I think my mam had an experience of something on the Tor, or is that National Trust. Is it true they've put a park and ride on it now? Cos if it is... ooh... there'll be trouble

Sorry can't help - I did work at a Historic Scotland site last year though and we were convinced there was something spooky about the place - I even got a photo of an orb (although I don't believe orbs are ghosts).

Who-hooo!

Check out the Needles Old Battery at Alum Bay on the Isle of Wight. Ghostly lights coming from a searchlight post ... that has no searchlight in! The sound of running soldiers down a narrow, underground tunnel. This site is worth a visit from a historical perspective and the wonderful views - the resident spooks are icing on the cake!
Take in the disused missile launch site a few hundred yards away ... Britains main missile and rocket test station. In the sixties, we even managed to launch a satellite from there!

Carisbroke Castle has it's own fair share of ghosts too.

I'm off on a holiday for two weeks on the island with The Vectian (naturally) soon so the digital camera's going to get good use.

Bloody orbs need not apply!

see my post called dunster ghost, there,s a photo i took this june

Stormkhan said:
Who-hooo!

<snip>

Take in the disused missile launch site a few hundred yards away ... Britains main missile and rocket test station. In the sixties, we even managed to launch a satellite from there!

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the rockets were only fired and tested at the Needles and were shipped to Australia for launch, from Woomera.

There's a tie-in with the Cumberland Spaceman story from this as Woomera is where a similar figure was supposedly seen during one of the launches.

Incidentally, for those who are interested, there's one of the Blue Streak British rockets at the National Space Centre in Leicester.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/48479737/48483221lEfxDt

Stormkhan said:
I'm off on a holiday for two weeks on the island with The Vectian (naturally) soon so the digital camera's going to get good use.

Hope you capture a new image of the spaceman!

I've added some bolds to this longish piece:

English Heritage reveals most haunted sites
From riderless horses disappearing through castle walls mischievous spirits apparently barging into visitors, English Heritage has compiled a new survey of "hauntings" and unexplained events recorded at its sites.
By Jasper Copping
Published: 9:00PM BST 27 Jun 2009

The so-called “spectral stocktake” reveals a series of mysterious occurrences, many of which have prompted investigations by staff.

Some incidents are said to have led staff to resign. At one castle, employees have established protocols on how to deal with suspected sightings of ghosts or unexplained events.

One medieval palace is even said to be haunted by a former member of staff.

Many of the events involve staff and visitors seeing mysterious figures, while others involve complaints that people were pinched or pushed, when there was nobody standing near them. Some reports involve items being moved around sites.

At Castle Rising, a 12th century keep in Norfolk, which was once the exile place of Queen Isabella, widow – and alleged murderess – of Edward II, “paranormal investigators” were called in by staff to conduct tests following sightings by visitors, many of whom claimed to have seen figures dressed in monks’ clothes.

Others said they had been pushed or nudged while looking around.

Norman Fahy, head custodian, said: “The most common phenomenon seems to be people getting pushed about. They seem to be prodded and poked. We seem to get these reports about once a week.”

Similar accounts of visitors complaining about being barged into, pinched or even slapped while there is apparently no-one around them have been made at Portland Castle, in Dorset, and Scarborough Castle, in Yorkshire, which, according to legend, is haunted by the ghost of Piers Gaveston, the favourite of Edward II.

Whilst popular ghost stories have previously been associated with some of the sites, this stocktake is thought to be the first time that staff at English Heritage, the government body charged with managing historic buildings, have been asked to log specific incidents reported by workers and visitors.

There have been so many sightings of mysterious figures in the labyrinth of tunnels below Dover Castle, in Kent, there staff there have created an established procedure for dealing with them.

Christine Pascall, the castle’s visitor operations manager, said: “About once a month we will have a report of something untoward, like a figure.

“We have a process that we put into place where we close down the system, evacuate visitors and a team of staff will sweep through the whole network of tunnels. It can be very frustrating for visitors.”

On one occasion, a group of schoolchildren were drawing in the tunnels. When they handed in their pieces of paper, one boy had written “Where is Helen?”

He told staff he had met a man in the tunnels dressed in a green jumper and brown trousers who was looking for a woman called Helen. A search was carried out but no such visitor was found.

On another occasion, visitors on a guided tour said a door had suddenly slammed shut and a stretcher trolley exhibit had moved very quickly along the corridor, as if pushed very violently.

Another site with a high number of reported hauntings is Battle Abbey, close to the site of the Battle of Hastings, in East Sussex.

Rosemary Nicolaou, visitor operations administrator at the site, said: “We tend to have sightings of monks, rather than soldiers.

"On one occasion, a school group which had just been round told me about an historical re-enactor they had seen, dressed in monks’ robes.

"But there was no such re-enactor on site. It couldn’t have been another visitor. I can’t really explain it.

“If I do hear of any sightings from visitors I will check out the details to see if there can be any rational, or practical explanation, because I am a sceptic, by nature. However, some of them don’t seem to have an easy explanation.”

The site with perhaps the widest variety of reports is Bolsover Castle, in Derbyshire. Staff and visitors have reported being pushed, seeing apparitions and items being moved around the site.

Some security guards have left their jobs after being spooked by seeing lights moving in parts of the property that were empty and hearing unexplained noises while on duty at night, according to Diane Hinchcliffe, the site supervisor.

On another occasion, she said, four builders working in the garden reported seeing a woman in a bustle-style dress who appeared to disappear though a wall. Two of the group declined to return the next day.

“Pretty much all the staff have had some experiences,” Ms Hinchcliffe said. “I am not necessarily a believer in ghosts.

"I think there is a rational explanation for everything, but there have been events that I cannot explain.”

Display figures have moved around the site at night, whilst items left in a locked storeroom, including visitors’ belongings, have also moved.

“Of course, I am always aware of the possibility of pranks and send ups,” she said.

"But there have been times when I have been the last to leave at night and the first to arrive in the morning and things have been changed. I have had things moved in locked rooms.”

Several visitors have reported seeing figures. One of the most commonly-sighted is said to be an apparition of a child, which is said to be seen holding the hands of young visitors.

At Portchester Castle, in Portsmouth Harbour, a member of staff heard the sound of horses’ hooves and then saw a riderless horse emerge from the walls of the castle, race across the area within the walls, and then disappear again.

A visitor also saw the incident.

At a medieval merchants’ house run by English Heritage in Southampton, staff raked over the gravel on the cellar floor before leaving work one evening and locking up.

The following morning, according to staff, footprints were clearly visible in the gravel, starting in the middle of the room and going into a wall. One footprint was partly in the wall. :shock:

Eltham Palace, in Greenwich, south east London, is said to be haunted by a former member of staff who died a week after retiring.

A man matching his description and with the same accent is said to have given a guided tour to visitors when the site was otherwise empty.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... sites.html

Bah trudged over loads of English heritage sites,never had anything more spooky then a strange feeling in 1 room of Walmer castle.Spent some time sitting in the tunnels of Dover castle with no result,has anyone had any spooky experiences while visiting an English heritage site?

I haven't had anything spooky happen to me (if I had, you lot would have known about it within the hour!) but for general Heritage spookery, you might want to check out the book This Spectred Isle, by Simon Marsden.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Spectred-I ... 850749302/

Unusually there are no actual ghost photos in the book - it's just the various sites taken through a spooooky infrared filter. The details are a bit light - this is a coffee table book - but it might be a good primer, as it's an English Heritage tie-in. One to get from a library or flick through in a bookshop before you buy, though, as you may prefer something with more meat!

Only just found this post which is a bit long in the tooth but great non the less. Quite a few years ago i lived in one of a row of houses just under Dover Castle on the edge of the woods there. They were apparently the old stable accomodations and were refurbished, it must be approximately 15 yrs ago now-turned into fancy flats or some such, after all the tenants were dispersed. In the roughly 2 yrs that i lived there i heard the drummer boy- it was about 3.00 am in the summer time and the door was open. This opened onto a covered walkway that ran the length of the houses with a gravelly bit, a country lane type of track and then the moats for the castle. So to be on the actual battlement of the castle itself was the work of about a minute. He could be heard quite distinctly drumming out his beat, with the sound rising and fading as he changed direction around the battlements.
I also saw the shade of a stonemason who fell to his death when the main tower was being built, around 1237 or so but i'm not sure exactly. This just looked like a dark figure falling down the side of the tower, seen from the entrance to the woods.
The house i was in also had a bit of its own phenomena, like i said these were part of the castle property at one point, though not by the time i lived there, so probably dont count.
The woods too were decidedly eerie on occasion, i suppose all this only happened because i was there for a while and had chance to soak up the atmosphere. 8)

has anyone had any spooky experiences while visiting an English heritage site?

Not at Stonehenge or Warwick Castle. I think the ghosts may have died a second time in embarrassment at the awful gift shop merchandise.

Tvm for the Dover castle story, its my favorite place on earth, i go there whenever i can but had no spookyness at all there. :(

English heritage cant be accused of being responsible for Warwick castle, think that's Mrs waxworks who owns that. Any ghost there would be mortified by thousands of people tramping by every second.The one time i went there i had too queue over 30 mins for the toilet!!

well tvm for the heads up on Warwick castle as was considering dragging the squids round there on 1/2 term. Dont think i'll bother now but i will try to get to Bolsover sounds a much more likely proposition and less like a theme park. Dover Castle has to be one of the loveliest places, and the whole tunnel network (which stretches to Canterbury apparently, never got that far tho) is well worth looking at. (Not so much English Heritage apart from the bits directly under the castle)
oh yeah what i meant to add was...i dont think i would have experienced these things if i hadnt been living underneath it for a couple of years either.

Warwick castle may be worth visiting, but i would go in December or January, i went during the summer and it was impossible to soak up the atmosphere because of the huge amount of people.

There is a room in the castle that was meant to be haunted, the story of the ghost is told by a loud speaker and the room is dark, i was standing in the corner listening while a constant tramp of people passed straight through the room, but at one point a brummie voice went "OMG! I THOUGHT HE WAS A GHOST" and pointed to me. :D

It is worth visiting, without a doubt.....but, yep go off season.

When I was growing up I was able to see Warwick Castle from my bedroom window.....you used to get in for free when I was a lad.

But only if you knew where the hole in the fence was! Which every child in Warwick knew, obviously.

titch said:
Tvm for the Dover castle story, its my favorite place on earth, i go there whenever i can but had no spookyness at all there. :(

English heritage cant be accused of being responsible for Warwick castle, think that's Mrs waxworks who owns that. Any ghost there would be mortified by thousands of people tramping by every second.The one time i went there i had too queue over 30 mins for the toilet!!

Is Dover castle meant to be haunted then? I felt really unnerved when I visited the tunnels, and kept expecting to see something. Could be more to do with the atmosphere of the place, or perhaps the sensory deprivation I suffered whilst staying in Dover...

Off the top of my head i recall reading about a ghostly pike-man in the underground tunnels (a pike in a tunnel??) WW2 serviceman seen in the WW2 tunnels and a ghostly drummer boy.I have never seen or sensed anything ghostly in Dover castle, but not through lack of trying.

dont forget the massive set of wooden doors that shake on their hinges like somethings trying to get in..never saw or heard it tho, just remember seeing it on the local news one time.

ye, i seen that on strange but true, will have to try to find it on you tube.

excellent find ta, watched both of them. not sure if thats the clip i remember-i was under the impression that the doors were dark wood. however im going back a good few years and how many sets of rattling double doors does 1 castle need?
saying that the news report sort of made it sound lke it was quite a regular occurance for these particular doors.
Clips seemed to concentrate on the tunnels mainly which i find strange as i thought the drummer boy was the most famous ghostie there. (plus the tunnels that you can actually visit-supervised-are only about 1/100th of all available tunnels, including under the castle).
Tis an excellent place to visit-must get back there at some point, thanks :)

I seem to remember it as being more impressive.. :? maybe there is more of the video about..or my memory is going...

well having had a bit of a search round it would seem that the clip i think i remember will need more of a technogenius than me to find. As its going back some years, to at least, to about 1990 - possibly 1993/4 the regional news for that time would be tvs which later changed to meridian, (this isnt even including the bbc version) and they dont seem to do archives...
Anyhoo i did find this:

http://www.yourcounty.co.uk/Kent51/dovercastle.html

which is sort of pertinent, (and now with extra orbs!!) although doesnt exactly help with the double door clip. Although i wasnt aware that there is some sort of holographic feature which is played as part of the tour. No doubt this will account for a few of the more modern sightings in that area...
Neither did i know that the drummer boy is apparently headless, (or i'd forgotten). Also forgotten about the roman legionary by the roman lighthouse in the grounds and the monk.(Never saw either of them though..)
Also found this which looks like it might be worth a look before any visits are contemplated.

http://www.castlesandmanorhouses.com/gh ... me&submit=

more searching required i think.. :)

Is Clifford's Tower in York EH or NT? Either way, my OH and I gave in to our elder daughter's M's urgings some years ago, and coughed up the steep fee to climb up the steep steps and into the place. Never again - both OH and I were immediately seized by an overwhelming sense of desolation, really quite difficult to bear. M, however, was quite oblivious, and insisted on walking round the battlements at the top. I rushed her round as quick as we could - I think OH might even have chosen to wait outside for us. It was a genuinely unsettling experience.

For those who don't know, Clifford's Tower was the site to which York's Jewish population retreated in the face of a pogrom (or whatever they were called in the 12th century). Once there, they were surrounded, and rather than submit to the mob, they chose self-immolation. If ever an experience was to imprint itself on a place, I'd imagine that might do it...

Cliffords tower is english heritage, i meant to go to york this year and see cliffords tower but didn't get round to it, after your story i will try to go there next year.

I went to York University and did archaeology. In 3+ years of living there, and the city being used as a teaching aid for us to crawl all over, I never managed to get into Clifford's tower. I went 3-4 times with friends/family I was showing round the city and I always paid but couldn't actually bring myself to get further than the entrance. Like having vertigo on the edge of a cliff nobody else can see and people are walking closer and closer to the edge. I drew it out of a hat to do a seminar on and had to fiddle it with a friend on the course (with beer!) so that I got one of the Bar Gates and he took Clifford's Tower.

I went to York University and did archaeology. In 3+ years of living there, and the city being used as a teaching aid for us to crawl all over, I never managed to get into Clifford's tower. I went 3-4 times with friends/family I was showing round the city and I always paid but couldn't actually bring myself to get further than the entrance. Like having vertigo on the edge of a cliff nobody else can see and people are walking closer and closer to the edge. I drew it out of a hat to do a seminar on and had to fiddle it with a friend on the course (with beer!) so that I got one of the Bar Gates and he took Clifford's Tower.

It's interesting to learn OH and I are not the only ones to have been uncomfortable around it - and that's a very striking image you use to describe your own experiences. Have you felt similarly about any other places?

I must confess to a certain envy that you were able to be a student in York, and of archaeology to boot - I imagine that must have been a fantastic time, disconcerting towers apart.

We where kinda sorta talking about a message board meet up in york a few years ago, maybe if there is no mention of an unconvention by summer 2015 we could try to arrange one for ourselves, for the autumn in york?

It's interesting to learn OH and I are not the only ones to have been uncomfortable around it - and that's a very striking image you use to describe your own experiences. Have you felt similarly about any other places?

I must confess to a certain envy that you were able to be a student in York, and of archaeology to boot - I imagine that must have been a fantastic time, disconcerting towers apart.

I don't think I've had a similar reaction elsewhere? total panic attack in the Campsies but I knew what that was while I was having it - at Clifford's Tower I was too busy trying not to slide over the edge to be aware of much else.

Yeah, it was pretty idyllic in some ways :) And I was lucky enough to be one of the last "free" student years I suspect. Certainly I wouldn't have gone to university if the current arrangements had been in place. More tellingly, neither would my partner - who is currently a senior academic at one of the ancient universities. While my absence wouldn't perhaps have mattered much (I think the degree experience is valuable for self and society but I'm aware some people don't) presumably that they would have lost somone so obvously excellent at their subject, and management, ought to register somehow with the idiots at the Department of Education. In rUK obviously - I'm proud that we do things differently up here but I worry how long we can hold out.

OK, I'm biased but York would be a great place for a meet! Centralish too so there might be people from all over!

Back