• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghosts At English Heritage Sites

English heritage have asked for visitors too their attractions to share any spooky experiences on their face book site. some interesting stories, lots of them in dover castle.
https://www.facebook.com/englishheritag ... 48/?type=1

Interesting to see such an old thread springing into life again. One anecdote that I considered posting on here, having recently re-registered after the various database catastrophes, relates to something odd I experienced at Ludlow Castle in Shropshire many years ago. I'm reluctant to add it to IHTM as I'm pretty sure there's an interesting but mundane explanation - ie. I don't believe anything paranormal did happen to me and don't think the events themselves raise any particular questions.

I don't really 'do' FB unless I have to so doubt I'll bother with the English Heritage thing...anyone got an idea where it might be appropriate to post a possibly anticlimactic non-ghost story on the FTMB?

Interesting to see such an old thread springing into life again. One anecdote that I considered posting on here, having recently re-registered after the various database catastrophes, relates to something odd I experienced at Ludlow Castle in Shropshire many years ago. I'm reluctant to add it to IHTM as I'm pretty sure there's an interesting but mundane explanation - ie. I don't believe anything paranormal did happen to me and don't think the events themselves raise any particular questions.

I don't really 'do' FB unless I have to so doubt I'll bother with the English Heritage thing...anyone got an idea where it might be appropriate to post a possibly anticlimactic non-ghost story on the FTMB?

I think there used to be a thread called "It Didn't Happen To Me", or "It Nearly Happened To Me."

I think there used to be a thread called "It Didn't Happen To Me", or "It Nearly Happened To Me."

Ah, there was a thread along those lines wasn't there? I think that's probably what I had in the back of my mind.

Thanks very much, I'll see if I can find it!

Last edited:
We also had a thread called 'Things that seem Fortean but aren't', in which we described various bizarre but ultimately explicable experiences.

But do post it somewhere, rather than holding off because there isn't quite the right thread

Thanks all, I'll definitely post it later. Think I've found the right thread now.

I went to York University and did archaeology. In 3+ years of living there, and the city being used as a teaching aid for us to crawl all over, I never managed to get into Clifford's tower. I went 3-4 times with friends/family I was showing round the city and I always paid but couldn't actually bring myself to get further than the entrance. Like having vertigo on the edge of a cliff nobody else can see and people are walking closer and closer to the edge. I drew it out of a hat to do a seminar on and had to fiddle it with a friend on the course (with beer!) so that I got one of the Bar Gates and he took Clifford's Tower.

Frideswide - my husband knows someone who works there (or used to, not sure if she's still there). She told us this story about 5 or so years back.

She told us that when the public go home, the people who work there often hear footsteps racing up one of the stone staircases. They have to go check because it's their job and they can't lock the public in overnight but, she says, they never find anyone there. It's quite frequent too, apparently. It sounds like a lot of people, she said. And she claimed it had been heard by a lot of people over a number of years and several people at once when it happened.

Someone else I used to know had a family restaurant near the Minster. She said it was a regular occurrence to open up in the morning to find all the chairs they'd carefully put away, chucked all over the place. They found it hard to keep staff. They were the only ones with the keys and knew no-one else could get in there after it was locked.

There is a church a few miles from York that I can't go in, unless someone props the door open. No idea why. No other church bothers me. I do genealogy and my family have lived in that parish since around 1700. I grew up yards from a churchyard. Churches don't scare me. But this particular one... I can't go in it unless I can secure an escape route.

i visited york in december, no spooky feelings at clifford's tower, the only scary thing was english heritage are charging £4 to enter, i would have felt ripped off if i wasn't a member and got in for free.

Haunted happenings still have some places for a ghost hunt at dover castle in july if anybody is interested, i am going in february, april and july :)

After my ghost hunt at dover castle i went back the following day, and just before closing time i got chatting to an english heritage worker, when i mentioned i had been at the ghost hunt the night before she asked me about it, then said although she has had sleep overs in the keep, she personally has had no ghost sightings, a lot of the staff working at the castle have though , mostly in the ww2 tunnels, which as luck would have it wasn't one of the areas we were allowed in

Last edited:
Not sure who owns Fountains Abbey but years ago, (1980s) one of my old university friends - an archaeologist - got a job there and lived on site in a converted flat. Never visited there so I'm not sure what part of the building this was. His flat looked out onto a lawned area. He told us that more than once, he looked out to this grass area in the middle of the night and saw a lady in a long dress (no details of the era clothing) walking about. This was in a place where the public couldn't access, at night. He told us this at the time so many years ago and I don't recall details, just that it happened more than once.

If anyone remembers the Hampton Court ghost - that apparently Tudor person pushing some doors open, caught on CCTV - another old friend of my husband's was working there as a costumed guide at the time and he swore blind to us that was not one of the costumed guides. He was very certain it wasn't.

I know there is a theory that sometimes people in period clothing can spark something off, and have done many living history events at castles all over the place. Personally, have seen nothing but my husband when re-enacting, did see a faceless woman near Sudeley Castle, one night (and swears he was sober!) And I did chat to someone from a large group of people who all, simultaneously, saw the figure of a woman on the flat roof section of a castle (I forget the name of the castle), and they thought she was another re-enactor so tried to get her to come down to safety - at which point she walked into and through a wall on an adjoining building. If I remember rightly this as a fairly large group of witnesses...

Years ago there was a castle (I won't name because the story affects people still living) that I visited not as a living history person, but just as a member of the public, and I'd always have this horrible sense of foreboding about it. Not so much at the castle but on the approach, where you walked down a path along a wood.

At some point, there was a large re-enactment event there - which I didn't attend for some reason - and a young woman from a group I'd once been a member of, took herself into the woods round the castle and hung herself from a tree.

One of my favourite places is Minster Lovell ruins. My BF and I used to walk there on very regular occasions. Oddish things would happen around the ruins, for example woven wicker-men and flowers left from what was clearly a ceremony of some kind. Okay, maybe not "odd" but different from normal behaviour.

My BF saw a fairy whilst we were crossing a bridge to get to the ruins and one time (at band camp) I was casting a spell and my BF swore he saw something approaching from the river. Mind you, this was the BF that saw a fairy, so...who knows? Anyway, we left pretty sharpish with my BF nearly dislocating my arm he was running so hard. We can't blame the drugs or alcohol because we didn't partake at the time. We did afterwards, obviously!

Whatever, Minster Lovell is sublime. It's small, hugely romantic, and one of the places that the legend of the Mistletoe Bough is said to have originated.

From the BFI:
The Mistletoe Bough, 1904.

From English Heritage:
Minster Lovell Hall and Dovecote

One of my favourite places is Minster Lovell ruins. My BF and I used to walk there on very regular occasions. Oddish things would happen around the ruins, for example woven wicker-men and flowers left from what was clearly a ceremony of some kind. Okay, maybe not "odd" but different from normal behaviour.

My BF saw a fairy whilst we were crossing a bridge to get to the ruins and one time (at band camp) I was casting a spell and my BF swore he saw something approaching from the river. Mind you, this was the BF that saw a fairy, so...who knows? Anyway, we left pretty sharpish with my BF nearly dislocating my arm he was running so hard. We can't blame the drugs or alcohol because we didn't partake at the time. We did afterwards, obviously!

Whatever, Minster Lovell is sublime. It's small, hugely romantic, and one of the places that the legend of the Mistletoe Bough is said to have originated.

From the BFI:
The Mistletoe Bough, 1904.

From English Heritage:
Minster Lovell Hall and Dovecote

Looks absolutely beautiful. I've got to go there. Maybe this coming summer? Free entry too! Its a must. Thanks.

Looks absolutely beautiful. I've got to go there. Maybe this coming summer? Free entry too! Its a must. Thanks.
You really should, it's so beautiful and the surrounding countryside is excellent walking, through fields, and woods. Gorgeous, Great pub, too: The White Hart, just down the lane from the Hall!

Not sure who owns Fountains Abbey but years ago, (1980s) one of my old university friends - an archaeologist - got a job there and lived on site in a converted flat. Never visited there so I'm not sure what part of the building this was. His flat looked out onto a lawned area. He told us that more than once, he looked out to this grass area in the middle of the night and saw a lady in a long dress (no details of the era clothing) walking about. This was in a place where the public couldn't access, at night. He told us this at the time so many years ago and I don't recall details, just that it happened more than once.
Fountains Abbey is National Trust. Well worth a visit, it's on my list for when we're back in the UK. There is an intact manor house on site, Fountains Hall, which contains staff flats, so I reckon that's where your friend would have been staying. Intriguingly, I think members of the public can also book overnight stays in that same building...
If anyone remembers the Hampton Court ghost - that apparently Tudor person pushing some doors open, caught on CCTV - another old friend of my husband's was working there as a costumed guide at the time and he swore blind to us that was not one of the costumed guides. He was very certain it wasn't.

I know there is a theory that sometimes people in period clothing can spark something off, and have done many living history events at castles all over the place. Personally, have seen nothing but my husband when re-enacting, did see a faceless woman near Sudeley Castle, one night (and swears he was sober!) And I did chat to someone from a large group of people who all, simultaneously, saw the figure of a woman on the flat roof section of a castle (I forget the name of the castle), and they thought she was another re-enactor so tried to get her to come down to safety - at which point she walked into and through a wall on an adjoining building. If I remember rightly this as a fairly large group of witnesses...

Years ago there was a castle (I won't name because the story affects people still living) that I visited not as a living history person, but just as a member of the public, and I'd always have this horrible sense of foreboding about it. Not so much at the castle but on the approach, where you walked down a path along a wood.

At some point, there was a large re-enactment event there - which I didn't attend for some reason - and a young woman from a group I'd once been a member of, took herself into the woods round the castle and hung herself from a tree.
Thank you, that's prompted a train of thought that has never occurred to me before: I did a fair bit of re-enacting in my teens and early 20s (we probably know some of the same people, especially if you were ECWS or Federation of the War of the Roses), staying in all sorts of old properties, and yet I cannot bring to mind a single spooky experience. Granted, at the time, I was completely lacking in sensitivity, and mainly interested in alcohol and the concept of female company, so I wouldn't necessarily expect to have noticed anything myself, but neither do I remember any stories from other re-enactors about odd things they had seen. And some of them, you know, had been doing it so long they had more experience than an actual pikeman, what with the Civil War only having lasted 8 years... ;) You might have expected somebody to have seen something. The scariest tales I heard round the campfire were to do with bodged procedures at Sellafield.

On the other hand, if you're expecting to see people in period costume, how would you tell that one of them had been there a little longer than the others, assuming they don't start walking through walls etc.?

Yes, when my husband saw that thing in the grounds of Sudeley, (late 1970s) the clue was it had no face! Which he didn't realise at first, from more of a distance - he just assumed, as you would, it was another re-enactor as she was wearing a cloak - bad muster fashion but not unheard of in the 1970s! I was ECWS and my husband also later did medievals so we probably have some mutual old friends!

Our best campfire experience was my old uni mate turning up with this random man ("Pensioner", I thought, looking at him as he was in his 40s or something!) And everyone got all starstruck and said "That's Jimmy Page!" I had no idea who that was. We had an evening enlightened by him playing an acoustic guitar by the camp-fire. I don't know that anyone from other regts even realised he was there!

I've often thought places like the London Underground are probably full of ghosts that look solid and not too jarring in what they're wearing... You'd never know! There is this man who walks round town - looks as solid as me - but wearing full 1940s or early 50s clothing, even down to the clipped moustache - every last detail. And he looks to be only in his 30s but has the look of the boring husband from 'Brief Encounter'. We often see him and want to pinch him to see if he's real. But then, in York, you have Vikings walking round and my old mate - also a living history person - thought nothing of going to town in her 1750s' cloak. She never got a second glance!

We bumped into a mate of my husband's from Jorvik the other day and were stood chatting on a street corner for ages with a Rus Viking. You forget that only happens in York!

When one of my cousins visited England a couple of years ago to visit his daughter and family who were living there they went to visit a friend of hers.
My cousin described the place as an old hunting lodge but it had a tower. He said that he saw what he thought was someone dressed for a part in some sort of armour, stuck to the wall with an arrow.
He was surprised when no one else could see anything.
He also told me he would never go to the Tower of London again but refused to say what he had seen.

It wasn't that floating, glowing cylinder, was it? I suppose you'll never know, but the oddness of it would be more memorable than an actual human entity, at least you could explain that away as misidentifying a living person.

He just shuddered and shook his head when I asked him. He's away travelling at the moment with his wife I think but I
might ask him next time I see him.

No need to freak him out if you think it'll bother him! On the other hand, if he's in a talkative mood, try slipping it into the conversation...

I spoke to my cousin on the phone and he said that when he was there he felt disoriented and kept seeing parts of people ahead of him.
He said that he never saw anything whole but there would be an elbow or a hand or a leg and when he got up to where he had seen it there was nothing there.
This made him feel strange and he was glad to leave.

I spoke to my cousin on the phone and he said that when he was there he felt disoriented and kept seeing parts of people ahead of him.
He said that he never saw anything whole but there would be an elbow or a hand or a leg and when he got up to where he had seen it there was nothing there.
Sounds like a classic timeslip/timetunnel event!

Thanks for asking him. I now have a vision of a ghost playing peek-a-boo, a real mischievous spirit.

Hi All - I saw this on the BBC website the other day and thought it might interest someone here - or might provoke someone into giving their own account of one or more of the places listed;)

Link

Basically a poll of English Heritage staff has come up with a 'Top 10' of haunted EH sites around the UK.

BTW: Bolsover Castle wins :hapdan:

CAL.

Interesting. Kenilworth Castle in second place with staff saying that they "...have encountered ghostly figures, an antique cot rocking by itself and the smell of pipe smoke."

Is Pipe Smoke really to be considered supernatural? Or the phenomenon of wind rocking a cot?

I'd like to know more about these ghostly figures, though. I've posted elsewhere on here about some odd experiences in an old terraced house opposite the Castle, which my now wife used to rent as part of a houseshare. Castle Hill, which adjoins the old High Street, is known to the locals as the path of a ghost walk. Figures have been anecdotally mentioned by several residents as being seen walking through the houses between the castle and the site of St Nicholas Church (itself adjoining the remains of the former Abbey).

Kenilworth Castle has laid in a state of semi ruin since the mid 1600s, damaged intentionally by Parliamentary forces in order to prevent the castle being used as a military stronghold by opposition forces.

Rightly so. In 1266 the castle was used as a stronghold in the Second Baron's War, during the reign of Henry III. Its high walled Keep was practically impregnable in an age before the wide-scale usage of cannons and gunpowder, so it was a valuable structure from a tactical point of view.

During that war supporters loyal to Simon De Montford (6th Earl of Leicester, and figurehead for the Barons' opposing King Henry) were cornered in the castle by Royalist forces, during what became known as the 6 month long 'Siege of Kenilworth'. De Montford had already died in battle elsewhere by that point, and the forces inside feared retribution from the King for their siding with him. But between the causeway and the Keep the Castle itself could not be breached.

They tried! Trebuchets, brute force, even trying to invade across the lake. Nothing worked.

So the Royalists decided to wait it out. Until the food ran out... And until people inside the Castle walls started to get sick.

After 6 months of the siege, with people now dying of both starvation and disease, they decided to surrender.

If you were the type of person to believe in ghosts choosing to haunt the place of their death, then there's a good potential source of quite tormented souls in wait behind what remains of those walls... :)

The castle was also well visited by Elizabeth I. She visited a number of times. At that point the Castle was owned by Robert Dudley, another Earl of Leicester, the nearest thing to a husband Elizabeth ever had.

Nearest, because he was already married.

The two were incredibly close. Dudley was very much held in high favour by the Queen, and very regularly held at her side.

His wife, Amy, was not.

And she met an untimely death while Dudley was at Court. She broke her neck, falling down some stairs.

Now while modern historians have mostly written off the possibility of a plot conceived by her Husband to have her taken out of the picture as unlikely (what medical details there were seemed to support this being a true accident), and Amy Dudley did not die AT Kenilworth Castle, is it implausible if she did come back to Haunt her Husband that she wouldn't pick the place he used for entertaining...? :)

Last edited:
Hooray for Bolsover Castle! I can see it on the skyline from the street I grew up in. Always a treat when I visit my folks. Only been there a few times, usually just to see the medieval joust they host. Heard lots of stories but never seen anything myself, despite the spooky atmosphere. I remember an alleged bloodstain on one of the floorboards being tested on a TV show a few years ago (reputedly from the body of a murdered priest if I recall) and it did come back as being human blood.

I had fun climbing around Kenilworth ruins in 1974--is this still allowed?
Kenlworth battlement bigcrop.jpg

Back