• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghosts At English Heritage Sites

I have been too 4 of the places mentioned, and an actual ghost hunt at one of them 5 or 6 times, minor strangeness at the dover castle ghost hunts but nothing, not even slight spooky feelings at Beeston, Carisbrooke or Cliffords tower.

I filmed a kung-fu movie there in 1997.

Ha. Really??? :)

I've worked with Theatre Groups in Kenilworth and Leamington since the mid 90s. We've used it as a backdrop for marketing and PR many a time. Never for Kung-fu though!

Ha. Really??? :)

I've worked with Theatre Groups in Kenilworth and Leamington since the mid 90s. We've used it as a backdrop for marketing and PR many a time. Never for Kung-fu though!

Yeah....I was 'doing' Media Production at Mid Warks College and it was a friend's pet project....we got it all shot, but I don't think it was ever edited. Some other scenes were done at Warwick Racecourse, I remember wearing a 'scouser' style wig and doing handbrake turns in my black Nissan Cherry.

I need to hunt that footage down.

Back from a brief break in York - great place, some say the best city in the UK. Hard to think of a more splendid place to visit. I had not been there since childhood. They certainly do Heritage to the hilt and play the Ghost card as trumps - competing ghost-walks and actor-person, street-walking, to promote them: white-faced, Gladstone-bagged, he looked like JTR to me!

I was aware of the baleful history of Clifford's Tower, as we climbed up to the ramparts; the weather closed in on us a bit. Child-visitors were supplied with cardboard swords and shields - ample reason to . . . :evil:

Going to a ghost hunt at Tilbury fort with the ghost club next month!!! i dont think commercial ghost hunting companies have been there and the ghost club not very often, i was talking to a GC member who recorded a voice talking in an empty room, so i am REALLY looking forward to it. I only hope we are not shadowed by English heritage minders like i was at Dover castle.

Going to a ghost hunt at Tilbury fort with the ghost club next month!!! i dont think commercial ghost hunting companies have been there and the ghost club not very often, i was talking to a GC member who recorded a voice talking in an empty room, so i am REALLY looking forward to it. I only hope we are not shadowed by English heritage minders like i was at Dover castle.

We'll expect a FULL report, please! :ghunt:

We'll expect a FULL report, please! :ghunt:
well off course, but i suspect it will be like 99% of my ghost hunting reports...was a very quiet night, nothing happened but i had fun

Last edited:
Like going to church, ghost hunts are mainly an excuse to hang out with your friends.

Like going to church, ghost hunts are mainly an excuse to hang out with your friends.
In my case a lot of it is about hanging about old n interesting buildings at night. My Dover castle ghost hunts were 70 quid a time , very little to show for it but I will be going back , because it's dover castle.

Writing from 3000 miles to the west, is Pevensey Castle a heritage site and has there been any activity reported there? Rudyard Kipling, who had some kind of unusual sight, had an experience related to it.

In my case a lot of it is about hanging about old n interesting buildings at night. My Dover castle ghost hunts were 70 quid a time , very little to show for it but I will be going back , because it's dover castle.

Churches can be interesting old buildings too! I suppose there is a "living history" element.

Churches can be interesting old buildings too! I suppose there is a "living history" element.
Borley church!! I would pay silly money to spend a night there!

Borley church!! I would pay silly money to spend a night there!

Yes, great example. They must get requests all the time, though I don't recall ever reading about a ghost hunt taking place there.

Writing from 3000 miles to the west, is Pevensey Castle a heritage site and has there been any activity reported there? Rudyard Kipling, who had some kind of unusual sight, had an experience related to it.
Pevensey castle is an English heritage site, but off the top of my head the only ghost story attached to it is a ghostly army is seen marching to attack it, but no names or dates were given so I think it's a purely legendary haunting

In the email giving us details for Saturdays ghost hunt at Tilbury fort the organiser says English heritage staff have reported two paranormal happenings since April, I wonder how many ghosts are seen and heard by English heritage staff but never reported.

Fountains Abbey is National Trust. Well worth a visit, it's on my list for when we're back in the UK. There is an intact manor house on site, Fountains Hall, which contains staff flats, so I reckon that's where your friend would have been staying. Intriguingly, I think members of the public can also book overnight stays in that same building...

Thank you, that's prompted a train of thought that has never occurred to me before: I did a fair bit of re-enacting in my teens and early 20s (we probably know some of the same people, especially if you were ECWS or Federation of the War of the Roses), staying in all sorts of old properties, and yet I cannot bring to mind a single spooky experience. Granted, at the time, I was completely lacking in sensitivity, and mainly interested in alcohol and the concept of female company, so I wouldn't necessarily expect to have noticed anything myself, but neither do I remember any stories from other re-enactors about odd things they had seen. And some of them, you know, had been doing it so long they had more experience than an actual pikeman, what with the Civil War only having lasted 8 years... ;) You might have expected somebody to have seen something. The scariest tales I heard round the campfire were to do with bodged procedures at Sellafield.

On the other hand, if you're expecting to see people in period costume, how would you tell that one of them had been there a little longer than the others, assuming they don't start walking through walls etc.?

Maybe the ghosts of the tannery monks still stalk the site.

Archaeologists have solved a centuries-old mystery by identifying the largest tannery ever found at a British monastery, the National Trust has said.

The discovery at Fountains Abbey, near Ripon, has provided a "missing link" in the history of the Cistercian community that worshipped and worked there. Ground-penetrating radar revealed two large stone buildings with lined pits close to the River Skell.

Archaeologist Mark Newman said the findings were "on an industrial scale". The remains of the stone building are about 50ft (16m) wide and one is at least 100ft (32m) long and was more than one storey high.

The National Trust said "it had always been a puzzle what a long 'bowling alley'-type extension of the Fountains Abbey precinct could have been used for".

With pits, tanks and other structures and close to the river for water - a key requirement for the tanning process - the Trust has concluded it was a tannery.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-59035335

For my ghost mapping project, I'm contacting as many locations as possible. There was a time when NT/EH just wouldn't talk about ghosts - but there seems to have been a shift in their tolerance. By emailing (or using facebook) specific venues directly, now you *may* get a response. Sadly none of those I got a reply from said anything had been experienced recently. The tone of their messages was surprisingly friendly.

Back