• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

diamonddogs

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Abbey Pumping Station

"Abbey Pumping Station is reputedly haunted by the ghost of an engineer who worked at the site in the early nineteenth century. He plunged to his death in 1890, falling over 50 ft from the top balcony of the pump house down into the depths of the engine room. "

- Leicestershire Museums

Abbey3.jpg

As far as I'm aware, locally, there are very few ghost sightings. I live in Hinckley, and apart from the 'bleeding tombstone' in St Mary's Churchyard, there's nothing else of the sort. Does anyone know of anywhere in the county for ghost sightings and such?

There's a headless soldier and phantom horseman at Sutton Cheney, left over from the Battle of Bosworth; and a Grey Lady at Bosworth Hall, Market Bosworth - the daughter of Sir Wolstan Dixie, snared in one of his own man-traps.

Astley Castle, just across the Warwickshire border, is haunted by Lady Jane Grey and her headless father, plus a monk called Willie.

Lots of others a bit further afield, including Dick Turpin and Black Bess who apparently ride all over the place. What's the bleeding tombstone?

Wenna

I've done searches about haunted Leicestershire before and as you say, there's very few, but Leicester itself is said to have quite a lot, though I haven't ever turned many up on the net.

The Abbey Pumping Station's got one, and also Belgrave Hall. I've heard a lot of stories about Guildhall Lane, and there's a ghost on the top floors of what used to be the old British Home Stores on the Clock Tower, which would make it either MacDonalds or Laura Ashley now.

Church Gate has some - Brannigans night club, and there's a pub across the road (called the Salmon, I think) that's said to be haunted.

I used to work for a bloke who ran the Long Stop (now renamed - don't know what to, sorry) and he had loads of tales about a guy called Harry something, who was a landlord of the place about 150 years ago. He died after falling down the cellar steps and breaking his neck. He would hang around in the bar at closing time, hated light bulbs so would smash them and used to mess around with the small service lift that they used to send cash for the till from the flat to the pub - his favourite trick was to throw coins down the lift shaft.

His presence was mainly felt in the cellar itself, which always felt much colder than the thermometers showed, and the beer quality was never affected (I understand it has to be stored at a certain temperature?). The couple did a bit of their own research, and a ghost expert told them to acknowledge his presence as he wasn't malevolent, and after that they always used to say Good Morning to him when they sensed his presence, and he stopped a lot of his mischief. They still couldn't get the dog to go down the cellar though.

Leicester Ghosties

My sister lives in Leicester & a few years back I took a drive down to see her..

Driving down the A6 somewhere between Kegworth & Loughborough (semi rural area on the border of Leicestershire & Nottinghamshire) I saw on the opposite side of the road & travelling in the same direction as me what looked like (& this sounds bloody stupid) a bandaged WWI soldier. I'm not going to attempt to describe him better than that. He was hobbling along on crutches.

I initially just let it go over my head, but a few seconds later I guess I was either intrigued or just thought he looked so out of place, but I decided to turn the car around & have another look.

Luckily I could turn around a short distance up the road & it wasn't long before I was back at the spot.

But he wasn't there. This freaked me out a little because there wasn't really anywhere for him to go on that stretch of road (& I had to double back & recheck because I was still going to Leicester :))

Well anyway, he had 2 options..

1) Run across the field (He'd need legs like a horse.. Somehow he looked a little worse for wear)

2) Someone picked him up. But he was travelling in the opposite direction to the traffic. Still, it's the only rational option.

Oops silly me, I forgot the third option.

3) Vanish in a puff of smoke.

:D

Re: Leicester Ghosties

Diabolik said:
Driving down the A6 somewhere between Kegworth & Loughborough
Was driving down there last night, actually!

Thanks for the replies so far, guys. I'll check some of these out when I get an opportunity. :)

Diabolik: sounds like one for Hermes' book on road ghosts. Have you told him?

Hey, i lived in Leicester for about 20 years, and most of the places i know of have been listed. My familiy used to own belgrave hall in the early 1600's, and even then, from diarys, we saw that they sometimes saw or heard things that they cannot explain..........

:eek!!!!: :eek!!!!: :eek!!!!: :eek!!!!:

Emperor Zombie said:
my father in law was driving near the old air field near market harbrough (spl?) I think near gartree prison, and he saw on the side of the road a WW2 RAF pilot walking along with his shute trailing behind him.

Muttering profanities to himself no doubt...

Back