• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghosts of Opposing Cultures.

Some indication of an African tradition of poltergeist like phenomena, from the 1933 book 'Myths and legends of the Bantu'.

Ghost Stories: the Kinyamkela's Bananas

Near Mkongole, in the Zaramo country, there was once a hollow tree haunted by a kinyamkela. Two boys from Mkongole, Mahimbwa and Kibwana, strolling through the woods, happened to come upon this tree, and saw that the ground had been swept clean all round it and that there was a bunch of bananas hanging from a branch. They took the bananas down, ate them, and went home quite happy. But that night, when they were both asleep in the 'boys' house' of their village, they were awakened by a queer noise, and saw the one-legged, one-armed kinyamkela standing in the doorway. He called out to them: "You have eaten my bananas! You must die!" And with that they were suddenly hit by stones flying out of the darkness. There was a regular rain of stones, lumps of earth, and even human bones. The boys jumped up, ran out, and took refuge in another hut, but the stones followed them there. This went on for four nights-apparently without anyone getting seriously hurt-and then a doctor named Kikwilo decided to take the matter in hand. He said to the boys, "You have eaten the kinyamkela's bananas; that is why he comes after you." He took a gourd, twice seven small loaves of bread, a fowl, some rice, and some bananas, and went to the kinyamkela's tree, where he laid the things down, saying, "The boys are sorry for what they did. Can you not leave them alone now?" That night the kinyamkela appeared again to Mahimbwa and Kibwana, and said, "It's all right now; the matter is settled; but don't let it happen again."

So there was peace in the village, and all would have been well if the business had stopped there. But there was a certain man named Mataula, a wood-carver, addicted to hemp-smoking (this is perhaps mentioned to show that he was not quite responsible), who was, unluckily, absent at the time. When he came back and heard the story he declared that some one must have been playing a trick on the boys, and announced that he would sit up that night and see what happened. So he loaded his gun and waited. The kinyamkela must have heard his words, for as soon as it was dark he began to be pelted with bones and all sorts of dirt, and at last an invisible hand began to beat him with a leg-bone. He could not fire, as he could see no one, and was quite helpless to defend himself against the missiles. The neighbours had no cause to bless him, for they began to be persecuted similarly, and at last the whole population had to emigrate, as life in the village had become unendurable.[1]

Some well-authenticated reports from clergy of the Universities' Mission who have seen and felt lumps of mud thrown about without visible agency make one wonder whether stories like this ought not to be taken seriously. Similar occurrences nearer home have sometimes been satisfactorily explained, but not always

http://www.afrikaworld.net/afrel/mlb08.htm

Not sure where to place this. It may have been posted somewhere else, but I'll put it here and see what happens.

This is a video purported to be out of Kuwait. I found it through a random surf of Facebook pages. The footage is genuinely creepy. It could well be a setup by a group of mates (well done for atmosphere there if so), but I get the impression that this might be either a very old or mentally challenged person seeking to hitch a ride. Black haired people and white robes

A djinn?

Attachments

• upload_2015-6-28_17-2-1.png
    upload_2015-6-28_17-2-1.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Now here's a website oddity ^ . There's an attached screenshot on this post which I never took or posted and I can't edit it out. The site is haunted!

Not sure where to place this. It may have been posted somewhere else, but I'll put it here and see what happens.

This is a video purported to be out of Kuwait. I found it through a random surf of Facebook pages. The footage is genuinely creepy. It could well be a setup by a group of mates (well done for atmosphere there if so), but I get the impression that this might be either a very old or mentally challenged person seeking to hitch a ride. Black haired people and white robes

A djinn?
Looks like a hunchback who probably only comes out at night.
He was probably pissed off that he'd been seen.

Reminds me of the bit in the film Under the Skin when Scarlett Johansson picks up the deformed guy in her van. Was someone inspired? Is there a date to the video?

Posted in the last 6 months on Youtube. God knows where it came from prior to that.

Looks like a hunchback who probably only comes out at night.
He was probably pissed off that he'd been seen.
He/she seemed to be flagging it down at the beginning and tracked the car and as it backed off. It certainly let loose a monstrous screech at the end there, whatever it was. Really set the driver off too. Yvette Fielding eat yer heart out. I felt most creeped out as it got some speed into that shuffle and chased the vehicle a ways. Bipedal, so human, but certainly a disfigured hunchback in physiology. Ghost of Richard III?

Do we have any Arabic speakers onboard who can decipher the scripts and comments for uz?

A djinn?

Man, that is creepy. Nice find although it could be staged, it's well done if so. At some angles, it looks like there's a box shape under the robe ..

Looks like someone with chronic lumbago. (There's an old boy in my town who walks completely bent over - quite disconcerting when seen from behind because the curvature of his upper body means that you can't see anything of his head.)

And if it is just a regular person, imagine how frightening that episode would have been for them: a car at the dead of night, lights blinding you on full beam, driving towards and reversing away as if toying with you, unearthly wailing coming from the interior. If there was any real poetry in the universe there'd be another Youtube video somewhere taken from his point of view which, let's face it, would look equally disconcerting.

And boy, does the guy in the car need to man the fuck up.

Do we have any Arabic speakers onboard who can decipher the scripts and comments for uz?

Chap 1: Arggghhh. OOOOOh. YYYAAAARGHHH. Yargggggghhhhh!!

Chap 2: Shut up you blouse!!! What's that smell???

Chap 2: Arghhh oooooooa oooargggrgghh.........I've shit my burnous

Chap 1: Argggghhhh!!! Yeeeurchhhhh. OOOOarrrrggghhhh!

Along those lines, I reckon.

Looks like someone with chronic lumbago. (There's an old boy in my town who walks completely bent over - quite disconcerting when seen from behind because the curvature of his upper body means that you can't see anything of his head.)
We've got a couple of people like that in my town but if you watch again, 'it' seems to have square breasts .. my guess is it's a fake, they dressed one of their mates up and taped a settee cushion around him to make the deformity. If they were that scared they wouldn't have had the door open. I still enjoyed it though :) ... there's a few more of these on Youtube and from the same country so it's probably trending there now (or whenever they were filmed) ..

...my guess is it's a fake...I still enjoyed it though :)...

Yes, I have to admit that I find that type of recording more satisfyingly disconcerting than the more technically elaborate ones; I find simple is almost always more effective in these situations.

The Kuwait video was pretty scary. No matter how fast he was reversing his car the "thing" was able to follow. And the acting was good, if it was acting.

... there's a few more of these on Youtube and from the same country so it's probably trending there now (or whenever they were filmed) ..

In that case I suspect various people are getting creative with a video camera, Blair Witch style. Either that or there's a genuine epidemic of ghouls in... er, wherever it is and the locals are roaming the night to capture them on video.

I Google-Translated the text below the Kuwait video:
"After research and investigation shows that this imaging fabricated and a representative of the youth .."

I suppose that's translate-o-speak for "FAKE!"

It looked like it was riding something when it was running and a definite box shape behind it

Here's a new twist...

Refugees flee 'haunted' Swedish migration centre

A group of Syrians have fled in terror from a refugee centre in southern Sweden after a succession of strange, inexplicable happenings left them convinced it was haunted by ghosts.

Thirty five of the 38 refugees housed at a centre in Grännaforsa, a small village in Småland, took refuge in the offices of the Migration Agency in the nearby town of Alvesta on Tuesday, after the incidence of strange activity increased.

“In the last three days it has been getting worse and worse with these ghosts,” Hamid Alojaili from Syria told Sveriges Radio at the centre in Alvesta.

“We are too scared. Last night nobody slept at all, neither the kids nor us.”

Magnus Peterson, head of the Migration Agency in Alvesta, told the local Smålandsposten newspaper that the refugees’ complaint was “surprising”.

“We have had no indications that there would be problems with ghosts before,” he said.

“We are taking this seriously, and believe that we can explain the events. The ghosts may in fact be wild animals which have got into the garden. The refugees come from a different culture with spiritual beliefs.”

Alojaili said that one of the refugees’ children had reported seeing a ghost soon after their arrival.

“He opened the room and he saw something on top of the table, and when he tried to find out what was that thing, that thing jumped under the table and disappeared,” Alojaili said.

“At the beginning we thought it was only our kids who were giving us stories, but then we adults started hearing sounds,” he continued.

He said that doors in the house were inexplicably unlocked, the fire alarm would go off for no reason, and that refugees frequently heard the showers or toilets being used, only to discover that there was no one inside them.

“These kids they didn’t eat since yesterday, they didn’t drink, they are unable even to go to the toilet. It is the same for the ladies. Everyone is afraid,” he said.

The refugee added that when the temporary residents complained to the local Swedish person managing the refugee centre, they admitted that it was haunted.

“He said, ‘Yes, but it’s a good ghost, it is not a bad ghost. We know about it, and even in my house we have one. These good ghosts, they clean up after you. They don’t do anything bad to you.’”

Peterson said that the refugees had returned to the centre on Wednesday, after the Migration Agency told them that no alternative accommodation was available.

Småland? Isn't that what Ikea calls their crêche?
Perhaps the centre is being invaded by 'the little people'?

That is an interesting story! I do hope someone was able to lay their fears to rest. I googled it and got loads of far right websites calling the Syrians 'nonwhite invaders' so I sooooooooooo didn't click on them. Luckily the Daily Mail and the local.se has reported on it too.

Back