• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Global Warming & Climate Change: The Phenomenon

This is sort of disappointing.

http://www.abqjournal.com/news/state/08112650state03-08-09.htm (this site requires subscription, so I'll post the whole article):

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Former Astronaut Says Warming Natural

By John Fleck
Copyright © 2009 Albuquerque Journal
Journal Staff Writer
Since he was a kid, Harrison "Jack" Schmitt — geologist, moon-walking astronaut, former U.S. senator — has been fascinated by weather and climate.
When he was a child in Silver City, he and his father studied rainfall data from southern New Mexico. When he launched to the moon in 1972, he took the latest Earth weather charts with him and spent downtime during the journey looking back and trying his hand at weather forecasts.
So it should be no surprise that Schmitt is one of the keynote speakers Monday at the 2009 International Conference on Climate Change in New York City.
The surprise, given what you often hear about the views of climate scientists, might be Schmitt's views on the subject: He believes global warming, while real, is natural — that human greenhouse gas emissions cannot be blamed.
Schmitt argues that the current warming is part of a natural cycle that began in the 1800s, as Earth began emerging from the "Little Ice Age" — a warming that began long before industrial emissions could have played a role. Schmitt believes changes in the sun have effects on Earth's climate that are at this point poorly understood by scientists.
"It's a political issue," Schmitt said of global warming fears in a recent interview. "It's not a scientific issue."
Efforts to curtail greenhouse gas emissions, Schmitt said, "would be disastrous to our economy and actually our liberty."
Most climate scientists disagree with Schmitt's assessment. They say warming, especially during the second half of the 20th century, is far too rapid to be explained by anything other than increases of greenhouse gases, which trap heat near Earth's surface. They point to evidence that, while the sun has in the past played a role, recent warming cannot be explained by solar variability.
A recent survey of climate scientists found 97 percent agreed Earth is warming and that human activity has been "a significant factor" in that warming.
The results, published in January in the American Geophysical Union's Eos, represents "the collective wisdom of the biggest geoscience organization in the world," said John Geissman, chairman of the University of New Mexico's Department of Earth and Planetary Science and an Eos editor.
But Schmitt's appearance in the spotlight illustrates a schism that is coming into sharp relief as the U.S. government seriously contemplates legislation to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
As the nation grapples with the issue, it raises a fundamental question about the scientific evidence on which political decisions are based, according to American University political scientist Matthew Nisbet: To whom should we listen?
There is a tendency to want to defer to expertise in the political and policy-making processes, according to Nisbet. But whose expertise, he asked, should count?
"What I do, frankly, is try to determine if there is a consensus among recognized scientists in a field and if there is a consensus, I defer to the scientists who subscribe to it," said Sen. Jeff Bingaman, D-N.M., a leader in Senate efforts on legislation to curb greenhouse gas emissions.
On climate science, Bingaman said, he turns to the National Academy of Sciences, which holds that human activity is a significant cause of global warming, and action is needed to deal with it.
Over time, the science can change and the consensus can turn out to be wrong, Bingaman said in an interview. But asked to develop policy now, he said, the beliefs of the majority of experts is the best guide.
But at the intersection of science and politics, the debate is often shaped as much by which scientific sources people choose to cite and trust as it is by what the majority of scientists say, according to Dan Kahan, a researcher at Yale University who has studied public uses of science in political controversies.
Inevitably, Kahan said in an interview, members of the public extend trust to people whose values are similar to their own.
People opposed to government regulation, for example, are more likely to believe human action is not causing global warming, according to research by Kahan, and those who believe societal interests should take precedence over individual interests tend to believe humans are to blame.
The elevation of Schmitt, a former Republican senator, to informal spokesman for those who doubt human-caused climate change began in November when he resigned from the Planetary Society, a nonprofit advocate for space exploration.
Most of his resignation letter argued over the best approach to space exploration. But Schmitt also complained about the society's views on climate change.
In an open letter last July, Planetary Society executive director Louis Friedman called global warming "the most daunting challenge we confront today."
"You know as well as I," Schmitt wrote in his letter to Friedman and others in the society, "the 'global warming scare' is being used as a political tool to increase government control over American lives, incomes and decision making."
That led to the invitation to next week's global warming conference, sponsored by The Heartland Institute, a Chicago nonprofit that has played a central role in recent political debates over the science of global warming.
The organization has in the past received funding from Exxon-Mobil Corp., which has been accused of funding organizations to sow doubt about climate change in order to forestall government action to reduce greenhouse emissions. Heartland officials issued a statement saying, "No corporate dollars or sponsorships earmarked for the event were solicited or accepted."

What's disappointing?

Revealed: Antarctic ice growing, not shrinking

Greg Roberts | April 18, 2009

Article from: The Australian
ICE is expanding in much of Antarctica, contrary to the widespread public belief that global warming is melting the continental ice cap.

The results of ice-core drilling and sea ice monitoring indicate there is no large-scale melting of ice over most of Antarctica, although experts are concerned at ice losses on the continent's western coast.

Antarctica has 90 per cent of the Earth's ice and 80 per cent of its fresh water. Extensive melting of Antarctic ice sheets would be required to raise sea levels substantially, and ice is melting in parts of west Antarctica. The destabilisation of the Wilkins ice shelf generated international headlines this month.

However, the picture is very different in east Antarctica, which includes the territory claimed by Australia.

East Antarctica is four times the size of west Antarctica and parts of it are cooling. The Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research report prepared for last week's meeting of Antarctic Treaty nations in Washington noted the South Pole had shown "significant cooling in recent decades".

Australian Antarctic Division glaciology program head Ian Allison said sea ice losses in west Antarctica over the past 30 years had been more than offset by increases in the Ross Sea region, just one sector of east Antarctica.

"Sea ice conditions have remained stable in Antarctica generally," Dr Allison said.

The melting of sea ice -- fast ice and pack ice -- does not cause sea levels to rise because the ice is in the water. Sea levels may rise with losses from freshwater ice sheets on the polar caps. In Antarctica, these losses are in the form of icebergs calved from ice shelves formed by glacial movements on the mainland.

Last week, federal Environment Minister Peter Garrett said experts predicted sea level rises of up to 6m from Antarctic melting by 2100, but the worst case scenario foreshadowed by the SCAR report was a 1.25m rise.

Mr Garrett insisted global warming was causing ice losses throughout Antarctica. "I don't think there's any doubt it is contributing to what we've seen both on the Wilkins shelf and more generally in Antarctica," he said.

Dr Allison said there was not any evidence of significant change in the mass of ice shelves in east Antarctica nor any indication that its ice cap was melting. "The only significant calvings in Antarctica have been in the west," he said. And he cautioned that calvings of the magnitude seen recently in west Antarctica might not be unusual.

"Ice shelves in general have episodic carvings and there can be large icebergs breaking off -- I'm talking 100km or 200km long -- every 10 or 20 or 50 years."

Ice core drilling in the fast ice off Australia's Davis Station in East Antarctica by the Antarctic Climate and Ecosystems Co-Operative Research Centre shows that last year, the ice had a maximum thickness of 1.89m, its densest in 10 years. The average thickness of the ice at Davis since the 1950s is 1.67m.

A paper to be published soon by the British Antarctic Survey in the journal Geophysical Research Letters is expected to confirm that over the past 30 years, the area of sea ice around the continent has expanded.

Source

Maybe that's the harbinger of the new Ice Age we were warned about back in the seventies?

UK maps climate change forecasts
By Richard Black
Environment correspondent, BBC News

Detailed forecasts of how climate change may affect the UK during this century are to be released by the government later.

The report will predict how temperature and rainfall are likely to change at regional and local scales.

Scientists believe winters will be wetter, particularly in the north, and summers drier, especially in the south.

The projected impacts are "worse than the government had feared," according to a source familiar with the project.

The government hopes the UK Climate Projections 2009 report (UKCP09) will allow citizens, local authorities and businesses to plan better for future decades.

Using an online "weather generator", people will be able to see what the project forecasts for their postcode at different points in the future.

"[This is] the most comprehensive set of probabilistic climate projections at the regional scale compiled anywhere in the world," said John Mitchell, director of climate science at the UK Met Office, which has taken charge of the computer modelling of climate used in the report.

The previous report - UKCIP2002 - is now seven years old, and included projections from just one computer model.

By contrast, UKCP09 has collated data from 400 variations of the model developed by the Hadley Centre, part of the Met Office.

Each variant has been checked to see how well it predicted the climate of past decades; and the numbers have been compared with projections of other computer models.

This allowed scientists to assign probabilities to various forecasts.

etc...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8106104.stm

Forgive my cynicism if I don't trust a computer to accurately predict the weather for the next century. Apart from the fact that, where the climate is concerned, there are so many unknowns as to make the work nigh-on impossible, I can't even get an accurate forecast for next week.

Yes, I do realise that weather and climate are quite different things, but that doesn't stop some twits banging on about global warning every time we get a hot day...

Peripart said:
Forgive my cynicism if I don't trust a computer to accurately predict the weather for the next century. Apart from the fact that, where the climate is concerned, there are so many unknowns as to make the work nigh-on impossible, I can't even get an accurate forecast for next week.

Yes, I do realise that weather and climate are quite different things, but that doesn't stop some twits banging on about global warning every time we get a hot day...

Yes, you're right - there are way too many random occurrences that will quickly invalidate any prediction. Volcanic eruptions, asteroid impacts, massive solar flare activity - these can't be built into any model with any degree of success, and they all affect climate.

Mythopoeika said:
....there are way too many random occurrences that will quickly invalidate any prediction. Volcanic eruptions, asteroid impacts, massive solar flare activity - these can't be built into any model with any degree of success, and they all affect climate.
I think this is rather too dismissive of a lot of very detailed research.
Scientists collated data from 400 variations of the climate computer model developed by the Hadley Centre, part of the Met Office.

Each variant has been checked to see how well it predicted the climate of past decades; and the numbers have been compared with projections of other computer models.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8107014.stm
I'd guess that among those 400 models, some did include the variables you mention. And if you know otherwise, give us the evidence! ;)

It's all to easy, after scanning a news story like this, to come up with snide knee-jerk responses, and ignore the years of hard work that highly trained and intelligent people have put into the research.

Of course the future may not match the predictions exactly, but at present this is the best scenario we have to work with.

Maybe an alien invasion will arrive, and they'll change the climate to suit themselves..! ;)

rynner2 said:
It's all to easy, after scanning a news story like this, to come up with snide knee-jerk responses, and ignore the years of hard work that highly trained and intelligent people have put into the research.
Yes, of course, and I didn't mean to come across as snidey - just a touch cynical, perhaps. It's just that we are regularly treated to new research, every piece of which comes out with "and the results are even worse than previously feared..." Frankly, I'm getting fed up with it all - I wish that the scientists would go away for a bit, work out one answer, and give it to us straight. Ten minutes of the national news given over to the weather forecast for 2080 is just scaremongering, although I'm treating it all like the boy who cried wolf - it's lost its power to shock.

Trouble is, they called it Global Warming, but the world has stubbornly refused to get hotter for the last 10 years, so they've renamed it Climate Change, and focussed on floods and storms instead.

Forgive me - we probably are all doomed, but ever since Al Gore came out with his patronising, selective and downright inaccurate film, I've kind of tuned out the doom-mongers.

Besides - one word: sunspots. Or is that two words? Anyway, William Herschel was onto something, I reckon.

I agree with you 100%, Peripart, pure disasterbation .... now, why am I in this handbasket and where are we going .......? ;)

Peripart said:
I wish that the scientists would go away for a bit, work out one answer, and give it to us straight.
That's what the IPCC has done, for the global situation, and what the UK Climate Projections 2009 report (UKCP09) has done, in more detail, for Britain.

The trouble is, some people consider this 'doom-saying', and therefore reject it, picking on isolated anomalies like 'snow in June' as 'proof' that global warming isn't happening. This is a rather head-in-sand approach, which encourages a do-nothing attitude even though cutting our reliance on fossil fuels is a good thing in itself, regardless of climate benefits.

Peripart said:
Besides - one word: sunspots. Or is that two words? Anyway, William Herschel was onto something, I reckon.

Back in 1987 I remember driving through St Anne's Chapel between Gunnislake and Callington in Cornwall. Being a high road at the head of a valley which leads right down to Plymouth Sound, the road was invariably shrouded in heavy mist, which enabled me to look directly at the sun one morning.

I spied a massive sunspot and thought "Hmm, looks like there's bad weather on the way".

1987 was the year the hurricane ripped across southern Britain, decimating trees and buildings as it went. This happened about 3 days after I saw the sunpsot.

Spooksville. :shock:

How well did it predict the climate of past decades? I had a look at the article but couldn't see any further details unless I missed something?

Global warming? Don't make me laugh. It's freezing cold, pissing it down and I have had to use my central heating and it's nearly July. If there is global warming, I want to know who has constructed the global dimming device which is clearly floating over the North of Scotland and causing me to freeze my wotsits off! :x

rynner2 said:

Hold on, Rynner, there was no 'snidiness' going on in my head when I made that post. Perhaps a bit of knee-jerk, yes, I hold my hand up to that one. :)

rynner2 said:
Of course the future may not match the predictions exactly...

My point exactly.

rynner2 said:
UK maps climate change forecasts

The previous report - UKCIP2002 - is now seven years old, and included projections from just one computer model.

By contrast, UKCP09 has collated data from 400 variations of the model developed by the Hadley Centre, part of the Met Office.

Etc...

Well, i hope this time round they have made models of clouds that arent flat, and sea depths can go over 300 metres, which werent functions of the last great IPCC prognostication. Whilst i agree with Ryn that *something* needs to be done, what i'd like to see is more direct taxation of the UKs individuals to pay for better, faster, shinier computer models, and maybe for part of the relocation programme for the river Severn sea newts, that seem to be holding up our best chance of clean energy, the tidal barrage down that neck of the woods. Also i'd like people that are spend-thrifts with energy (lights on in rooms not being used, washing machines, and the devil-incarnate - tumble dryers) being singled out like smokers are currently, subjected to ridicule and covertly watched using all these great new powers that have come in since the RIP bill got forced through. At least i'd say that would be a good start, Britain leads the way etc...

Rail route threatened by rising sea levels
Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 10:00

TRANSPORT campaigners have called for an alternative to the Westcountry's vulnerable coastal rail track after the Government's warning on rising sea levels.
Train journeys past the crumbling Dawlish sea wall in South Devon on the region's mainline are routinely blighted by extreme storms and high tides.

Following predictions that sea levels in the Westcountry could rise by 40cm (16in) by the 2080s, commentators fear climate change could leave large swathes of the region cut off from the rest of the UK.
Neill Mitchell, a Plymouth-based independent regional transport analyst, has questioned whether the Government is willing to stand by statements last week that all major investment would have to take climate change into account.

Mr Mitchell, a former Downing Street official under Margaret Thatcher, claims ministers have broken similar promises made five years ago by ignoring the problem at the exposed rail track. He said: "We were told back then that the only place in the world which would not be subject to sea level rises would be Dawlish and that, therefore, there was no cause to commence the strategic planning of a new inland route for the Great Western main rail line.
"So, returning to the present, is [environment minister] Hilary Benn able to confirm that Dawlish will indeed not enjoy the protection of King Canute?
"In accordance with his new ministerial guidance to Government departments, the Transport Secretary Lord Adonis must now be obliged to accept the case for reinstating the route planning drawn up by the Great Western Railway Company in 1939. If not, then why not?"

Peter Mulley, secretary of campaign group Railfuture Devon and Cornwall, said: "We believe most emphatically there must be an alternative route. We have to find practical solutions to mitigate against the threat of climate change."
Last week, Met Office scientists predicted temperatures in the South West could rise by 3.9C (39F), rainfall in winter could increase 23 per cent and sea levels could rise by 40cm by the 2080s.
The Great Western main line at Dawlish is widely viewed as being one of the most vulnerable on the network. It links Exeter and Plymouth, and is the only rail route onward into Cornwall. Network Rail has spent millions of pounds trying to shore up the line since October 2004, when some sea wall was last washed away in a storm.

A Department for Transport spokesman said the track was the responsibility of Network Rail, which was unavailable for comment. In April, Network Rail effectively ruled out a second rail route into the region as it unveiled plans to spend £35bn on improving the network nationwide.

http://www.thisiswesternmorningnews.co. ... ticle.html

Seem to recall that in 2007 and 2008 the Met Office said "very hot summers on the way",now correct me if I'm wrong.......last autumn said "much milder winter than normal",.....this spring said "Hot summer on the way"sincerely hope they hav'nt put the kiss of death on this summer,maybe if they say it enough by the law of averages they'll get it right !,then they can say "See we told you ",shame about all the other times they got it wrong.Absolute bunch of arse,still we have to have those awful "energy saving" lightbulbs soon (by law),do you know how miniscule lighting our homes is compared to the national electric consumption is?.Global Warming,as dangerous as the Y2K bug,SARS,bird flu..............oh,no,wait............ :roll:

LividBullseye said:
do you know how miniscule lighting our homes is compared to the national electric consumption is?
... and don't forget that, assuming we believe all the rubbish that Al Gore and his moron friends put out (I'm not saying that all climate change scientists are morons, obviously - that would be silly. However, I have yet to see any evidence that Gore is anything more than an imbecile stooge and mouthpiece), and that carbon dioxide is definitely the cause of, rather than the result of climate change - even if we believe all that unquestioningly, a third of our CO2 is still caused by cows farting and burping. But do you see the government promoting some sort of Windeez for cattle? No, you don't!

Once again, I can't remember if I'm being serious or not, so I'll leave it there until I know one way or the other.

Peripart said:
..a third of our CO2 is still caused by cows farting and burping.
Unless cattle are being fed on fossil fuels, the CO2 they emit derives from the carbohydrates in the vegetable matter they eat. And plant life lives by absorbing CO2 from the atmosphere.

So unless anyone can point me to an authoritative source that says otherwise, I'm assuming that cattle are carbon neutral, just a part of the natural carbon cycle.

Not just cuckoo's clock that's upset by climate change

Sat, Jun 27, 2009

Bats falling from trees. Cranes staying put. Whales losing weight. Global warming is causing havoc, writes FIONA McCANN

CUCKOOS, LONG the bane of birdlife due to their habit of offloading eggs in the nests of all and sundry, are getting their comeuppance. Turns out they’ve fallen behind the migratory birds whose nests they usually use: those guys are moving north earlier due to climate change and leaving the cuckoos without the surrogate parents they require for raising their young.

Cuckoos aren’t the only ones confused by climate change however. The following five species have been both baffled and battered by environmental alterations, and often to an extent that can seriously threaten their survival.

POLAR BEARS

These iconic bears are becoming the poster animals for climate change, given that increasing temperatures globally have been melting the Arctic ice shelf, and many are drowning in their quest for food.

The bears need sea ice on which to hunt seals, but longer ice-free periods mean longer time between meals, and researchers say many polar bears are finding they don’t have the required reserves to tough it out between feeds.

As if that wasn’t enough, the seals they normally feed on are also in shorter supply, given that the fish they in turn feed on are more scarce, and so on down the food chain. Put plainly, the shrinking polar ice cap means polar bears, who need ice to survive, are also shrinking in numbers. Some ecologists are warning that they could be gone entirely 100 years from now.

WHALES

Not only are whales in the wrong place at the wrong time these days, what with their usual foodstuffs thriving closer to the poles because of warmer oceans, but they’re losing weight. Though this might be considered good news for many of their human counterparts, it’s bad news for whales, who rely on blubber for insulation and energy. According to a Japanese research team, whales are getting thinner which indicates big changes in their ecosystem.

And this loss of weight, tough though it may be to believe, could in turn be affecting their ability to reproduce. The problem is that krill, a staple food for baleen whales, grows in sea ice, so warming oceans mean migratory whales such as the humpback and blue now have to travel about 600 miles farther south for food. Small wonder they’re slimming down, but the consequences could be fatal.

BATS

Losing blubber is one thing, but dropping dead is another entirely. Yet that’s just what happened to thousands of Australian bats when scorching heatwaves linked to climate change caused them to flap their wings in a bid to cool off.

This, sadly, had the

opposite effect. On one particular day in 2002, temperatures soared to 42 degrees wiping out 6 per cent of the flying foxes in nine colonies in New South Wales.

As many as 50 per cent of young bats died in the heatwave, finding themselves ill-prepared for the scorching temperatures. What happened was that, as things got hotter, the hanging bats began to fan their wings to cool themselves, but within a couple of hours of this frenzied activity they started panting and drooling saliva.

Finally, according to reports, bats began falling from the trees and dying within minutes – literally dropping dead. Researchers have estimated that over 30,000 flying foxes in Australia have died due to heatwaves in the past 15 years.

TURTLES

Turtles have it bad. Particularly male turtles. Get this: with turtles, the sex of the offspring doesn’t come down to any of that X and Y chromosome business, but is determined by the incubation temperature of the eggs after they’ve been fertilized. In many turtle species, the

warm ones become female, and the cooler ones male. This has led some scientists to extrapolate that it’s potentially curtains for male turtles as the global temperature heats up.

And without the males, there’s not much hope for the rest. Even if a few brave soldiers make it, they’re facing a host of other climate change challenges, given that their digestion rate, growth and reproduction are all closely related to temperature, and these guys aren’t famed for their quick reactions. Adapting to rapid changes may take a bit longer for slow-moving turtles, and time could run out before that happens.

CRANES

Climate change has caused particular confusion for migratory birds, who are accustomed to upping sticks when the weather changes. What happens when the weather doesn’t do what it used to is that many of them either migrate earlier, change their routes, or in some cases, settle down and giving up on the whole migration thing altogether.

One example of the latter is the crane, a bird that normally leaves the cool climes of Germany in the winter to wait it out in the balmier resorts in Spain and Portugal.

But rising temperatures have apparently fooled the cranes into thinking that it’s okay to stay put after all. Having ditched their travel plans however, many of the birds subsequently suffer when temperatures in Germany dip so low that they cannot survive the harsh winters.

www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/20 ... 39966.html

LividBullseye said:
Seem to recall that in 2007 and 2008 the Met Office said "very hot summers on the way",now correct me if I'm wrong.......last autumn said "much milder winter than normal",.....this spring said "Hot summer on the way"sincerely hope they hav'nt put the kiss of death on this summer,maybe if they say it enough by the law of averages they'll get it right !,then they can say "See we told you ",shame about all the other times they got it wrong.Absolute bunch of arse,still we have to have those awful "energy saving" lightbulbs soon (by law),do you know how miniscule lighting our homes is compared to the national electric consumption is?.Global Warming,as dangerous as the Y2K bug,SARS,bird flu..............oh,no,wait............ :roll:

Because if they tell us it enough times then eventually we will believe it and the tax increases that follow, 'to help combat global warming', will be slightly better received.

Some conspiracy theorists might have you believe that these new and green power sources are being put into place to help who ever emerges from the government's nuclear bunker in the near future.

I am sick of this polar bear propaganda. Their numbers are at 20,000 to 25,000. An all time high for their species!! They are used as face for this farce because of how damn cute they are. They are scaring and programming kids with this shit and it has to stop.

It's secretly a polar bear conspiracy to take over the world that started with glacier mints.

rynner2 said:
... unless anyone can point me to an authoritative source that says otherwise, I'm assuming that cattle are carbon neutral, just a part of the natural carbon cycle.
But that's not to say that the CO2 they produce couldn't be reduced, surely? They talk of "carbon capture" for power stations, so why not for cattle? Just because they may emit the same CO2 as they absorb, I see no reason not to attempt to tip the balance in the planet's favour. I suggest that all cows are fitted with a cataltyic converter at birth. You know it makes sense.

Sorry about my slightly silly tone, but I remain a cynic (though not a full-blown sceptic) on the whole global warming thing. The worst crime committed by the climate change industry has to be the basic scientific one of calling carbon dioxide simply "carbon". It's unhelpful and ignorant, regardless of the rights and wrongs of any of the arguments that the topic provokes. Carbon capture, carbon footprint, the "Carbon Trust" - all these things refer to carbon dioxide, not the lead in your pencil, so it appals me that children (who presumably will be expected to take care of this planet in a few years) are being fed pseudo-science and inccuracy. Why? One can only guess, but I fear it may be because our leaders don't think we can be trusted to remember two words, so just give us one. It doesn't exactly fill me with confidence for the future...

The same reason the word 'expenses' has been shortened to 'Xs' and we now refer to any terrorist attack as a number, 7/7 or 9/11. Most people can't even remember which years these events happened and only have the vaguest thoughts about who actually carried them out.

Back on topic.

I do believe in climate change because it happens all the time. Winters used to be wet and mild and summers used to be long and hot. And it appears we're heading back in that direction.
Read most history books and they'll tell you the battle of Hastings was fought in a boggy marshland and not the dried out grassland it is today. But of course we're adding to the situation, that's just obvious logic. All I'm saying is that the Earth has been through this long before we arrived and if our numbers are thinned out but such a large scale natural process, then in the long run it'll be good for us and for the planet.

"Global warming and climate change" are just labels used by the people employed to study these things, and these people just want to keep themselves in a job. The climate does indeed change, and it is likely that we are in a period of increasing global temperatures, but that is just part of the natural fluctuation of our ecosystem that has been going on since the dawn of time.
Unfortunately governments have jumped on the bandwagon, and want to force us to pay taxes and pay higher prices for food and energy, when it is unecessary.
We are told that the planet is over-populated and that our fossil fuel reserves are running out - I can drive from here (north of London) up the A1 to Peterborough, and I only pass through a few small towns, and the rest of it is either 'common' land or pasture, agricultural or forest. Plenty of space, and the same is true of anywhere in the world you want to go. There are huge swathes of North America which are uninhabited really, save for the occasional 'settlement', and you could cite China as being heavily populated, but if you actually look at a map you'll see that there are huge areas of absolute desolation, not settled, flat lands not used for agriculture or anything really.
Africa has a fantastic and vast production capability too. Huge oil reserves, a perfect climate for agricultural use (remember Zimbabwe used to be called 'The breadbasket of Africa').
Look at the huge empty areas of Russia, South America, Australia - anywhere on the map. Obviously, all through history the population tends to congregate around centres, main cities and towns, which are indeed and quite clearly overcrowded in some places, but that's always been and always will be the nature of things.
And viewed from space, the earth is like a gleaming jewel, blue and virtually empty (4 fifths being water anyway).
I'm not going to get into the debate about despotic tyrannies using their wealth to buy arms and a huge knees-up for their cronies, while their people starve and get ill. That's a related but different subject worthy of a rant on a different site.

You see, the thing that drives our knowledge of these problems is the media, and events that happen on the other side of the world are now communcated in moments. It's great to have the internet, and 24 hours News channels on television, and access to scientific work and experts, but as before, all these people are just keeping themselves in work.
So really, if you were a 'climate change expert' you would obviously NOT go around saying that you have "studied all the data, and there is nothing to worry about, and that all the data actually proves that it is pointless studying climate change", would you (even it was the truth).
So each TV news channel, and newspapers, in their desires to be the 'king of the hill', will seize upon these things and sensationalise them with predictions of doom or gloom - " We must act now or the planet will DIE!" etc etc etc. and we all end up having to buy lightbulbs filled with all sorts of crap that we can't dispose of, and drive cars that have the performance abilities of a milkfloat, whilst all the time paying through the nose for everything, fuel (and therefore everything else transported around the world), food, water and energy.
And our efforts to reduce our energy consumption, to be more environmentally and ecologically 'sound' don't really have much effect on our climate etc overall, only at a local level (I wouldn't want to live right next door to a tyre recycling depot for example).

I heard a good analogy the other day - If everyone in the UK was actually as 'green' as is recommended, it would be about as useful as turning up at a city ruined by an earthquake with a dustpan and brush.

Or maybe I'm just a wee bit cynical.

"Global warming and climate change" are just labels used by the people employed to study these things, and these people just want to keep themselves in a job. The climate does indeed change, and it is likely that we are in a period of increasing global temperatures, but that is just part of the natural fluctuation of our ecosystem that has been going on since the dawn of time.
Unfortunately governments have jumped on the bandwagon, and want to force us to pay taxes and pay higher prices for food and energy, when it is unecessary.
Governments were in fact remarkably reluctant to jump onto this 'bandwagon', and it was only the slow accumumulation of scientific data that eventually persuaded many of them that humanity does have a problem that will not go away if we ignore it.

It is foolish, if not downright stupid, to assume that the huge consumption of fossil fuels over the last century or two has nothing to do with global warming.

And it's a sad fact that message boards such as this give the impression that all opinions are equally valid, regardless of how much each poster has studied the evidence.

At present, the greatest consensus on the topic of climate change is that of the UN's IPCC.

(There have been attempts to deny their conclusions, but they usually come from entrenched interests such as the oil industry, supported by those who prefer to believe that all is well with the status quo because they fear change.)

I'll shut up now, before I get offensive... ;)

Back