• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Go To Work On A Spazz? Product Name Translation Troubles

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I've refocused this for a more general product name translation troubles thread.

Canadian naming cock up

New car's name causes blushes in Canada

A new car is having to be renamed for the Canadian market after the manufacturers were informed of an unfortunate double meaning.

General Motors are still working on the new name for the LaCrosse after learning the word is slang for masturbation in French-speaking Quebec.

The mid-size model, expected to be launched late next year, will still be called the Buick LaCrosse in the US, reports the Toronto Sun.

GM vice-chairman Bob Lutz said he wasn't aware of LaCrosse's alternative meaning, despite being able to speak French after spending three years living in Paris.

"I thought I knew every expression existing in the French language for self-gratification, including the crudest ones known to man," he said.

Story filed: 14:38 Thursday 16th October 2003

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_829395.html?menu=news.quirkies

Perhaps all this Jif/Cif business has a point...........

Emps

I thought lacrosse was a game, something like hockey, but more violent and played with fishing nets?
Jif/Cif; "I know," says some marketing genius "we'll change the name from Jif (perfectly reasonable for English speakers, but unpronouncable to Latin types), and call it Cif"
Of course it doesn't sound like a sexually transmitted disease...

Filcee:

I thought lacrosse was a game, something like hockey, but more violent and played with fishing nets?

Yep - I believe it was taken from the Native Americans.

I assume that the slang is somehow linked to th game but I can't find anything in the Dictionary of Slang (Cassels) and as far as I'm cocnerned if it isn't in there then it doesn't really count ;)

Lets be honest unless you used some kind of computer program to come up with something completely innocuous you are nearly always going to name your product after some slang term in some language (or if not then someone will come along and use your products name as a slang term for something) ;)

Emps

It sounds a bit unlikely. IIRC lacrosse is a relatively popular sport in the French speaking parts of Canada. Wouldn't it be akin to "Football" or "Rugby" taking on untoward meanings in the UK? (O.K. "Cricket" might be an exception... ;) )

O.K. "la crosse" translates literally (thank you Google :) ) as "the stick." I guess that this could be interpreted in an innuendo-rich fashion. :)

Well, I don't know about "la crosse", but the French word for kids - "gosses" - means "testicles" in French Canadian. And the French Canadian "bibite" - meaning bug - has an unfortunate resemblance with the French "bite" - penis.

The joys of international children's programs... :D

Now some of the examples used here are dodgy:

You're better off with a Spazz

James Meek
Monday October 17, 2005
The Guardian

All things considered, I'd rather not be obliged to buy a wheelchair in the near future. But should the day come, I would choose a wheelchair like the one I see on this website here, http://www.colourswheelchair.com. It's sleek, low-slung and shiny, and it radiates the potency of energetic movement. According to the website, it offers me "the style, versatility and adjustability you need in your first wheelchair. With its simple design and clean lines, not only will you look good in your 'Spazz', but your manoeuvrability will be unsurpassed."

I'm sorry, did you say "Spazz"? In the US, where the wheelchair is made, "spaz" - according to the Online Slang Dictionary at Berkeley University - means "a person who often acts in an irrational or spontaneous fashion". In other words, edgy and romantic. In Britain, of course, it's a derogatory abbreviation of "spastic". In the playground of my school, where it was in free and frequent use, it meant "hopeless, idiotic, incompetent fool".

The marketing of the wheelchair in Britain, by a Tonbridge company, Kent Mobility, has been met with hostility by lobby groups such as Scope. No one, after all - as far as I know - sells a brand of glasses called Speccy 4 Eyez, or a range of artificial limbs under the name Kripple.

At first glance, the arrival of the Spazz on our shores looks like the latest in a long line of international brand pratfalls. The Mitsubishi Pajero 4X4, which translated as Mitsubishi Wanker in Spanish; the British curry sauce range that came out, in Punjabi, as Sharwood's Arse; the Toyota MR2, which sounded rather like the Toyota Merde to the French; or the original transliteration of Coca-Cola into Chinese, which caused many possible readings, one of which was "bite the wax tadpole"; or Nestlé's one-time translation into Chinese of the name of its baby-milk powder Lactogen, which came out as "forcing you to vomit the essence". In 1976, sales of a popular Chinese car battery in Britain sank when it began marketing under a translation of the Chinese name, White Elephant.

But is this a pratfall? Or are the makers of Spazz wheelchairs in search of notoriety? This is the tactic of the makers of the popular French fizzy drink, Pschitt. The thing about English rude words is that half the rest of the world knows and uses them too. On the company's French website, visitors are knowingly invited, in English, to "Pschitt themselves" and to buy a line of FCUK-style T-shirts with such slogans as "100% Pschitt" and "Dealer de Pschitt".

In fact, as might be expected from a firm whose other wheelchair lines have names like Boing!, Krypto and Xtreme, the Californian maker of the Spazz, Colours 'N Motion, is not a staid or conventional health equipment supplier. Run by disabled people, its models are young, tattooed, pierced. One of the epithets it uses to describe its wheelchairs is "Bitchin'".

So far, Kent Mobility isn't backing off from selling the Spazz. Its managing director, John Payne, says he has sold five or six Spazzes in Britain so far. "Colours broke the mould, and it's about time somebody did," he says. "If it upsets any customer that the chair is designed for, such as abled, active wheelchair users, we'll consider changing the name, or taking the label off. If it upsets disabled lobbying groups, tough"

www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1593799,00.html

Coca-Cola in China:

Both this advertising tale and the apocryphal story about the Chevy Nova's sales failure in Spanish-speaking countries are often cited as examples of the hubris of American corporations who fail to take cultural differences (specifically language use) into account when marketing their products in foreign countries. Both examples are untrue, and in this case the claim is especially egregious, as few companies can match Coca-Cola's amazing history of successfully adapting their product and marketing techniques to meet the demands of a wide variety of global markets.

www.snopes.com/cokelore/tadpole.asp

spazz_pic_03.jpg

from www.planetmobility.com

More Tranlastion troubles

Working for a domestic appliance company in the UK, we had imported a range of Smeg washing machines and fridges for our range. On checking the user docs for these, already translated for us in Italy, we noticed that a number of part names had been abbreviated. Fortunately we noticed that Thermostat had been translated and abbreviated to "Tw*t" before we released the range.

I used to work for a musical instruments retailer, and one Wednesday afternoon we recieved our usual delivery from the warehouse. This particular day, however, we got a delivery of guitars from a company called "Schecter".

Now, Schecter guitars are an expensive and well respected brand, but having never heard of them before, I burst into hysterics, while all of the other guys in the store stood looking at me as if I was more than a little odd.

You see, when I was growing up in the East End of Glasgow, "shechter" was our way of being able to say "shitter" without being killed dead by any adults listening - for example -

Child A : I bags that one
Child B : Fine, it's a shechter anyway

or

Child A : I shagged your Ma last night!
Child B : You're full o'shecht!

I turned out, that not having grown up in the same ares as me, no-one else used this form of masked-swearing.

I told my friends later that night, and we all had a good laugh :)

The funny thing is, I had overheard some of the guys in the store talking at different times about how they had sold one of their guitars, as it was a "shechter" (my mis-heard spelling), or at sales meetings when the manager would ask what everybody had sold that week, and invariably, someone from the guitar department would mention that they had sold "some 'shechters'". I just thought they meant that they had sold some of the low-end crappy budget guitars.

Oh, and by the way, they may be expensive and well respected, but to me, they really are "shecters".

On the subject of cars, I understand that the Toyota MR2 is simply called the MR in France, since Em-Air-Deux sounds like "merde"; no translation necessary, I'm sure. Why they couldn't have used a bit of lateral thinking and called it the "Monsieur Deux", I really don't know.

I also remember hearing that a Rolls Royce model was given a name for sale in Europe which meant much the same thing in German. And no, before you ask, it wasn't the Silver Scheiss.

Of course, another UL regarding car names was that the Mitsubishi Starion was meant to be the Stallion, but that no one thought to question the Japanese pronunciation. In reality, the car was named after the Star Orion engine range, or some such, but now I'm boring even myself, so I'll shut up. Anyway, I'd almost rather believe the legend: "Ford has Mustang, we must have Starion!"

Just remembered, it was the Rolls Royce Silver Mist. Mist is apparently German slang for "shit", but I'm afraid that the 1984 'o' level syllabus didn't cover that sort of thing, so I don't know for sure. Now I think about it, I don't remember ever seeing a Silver Mist, so can anyone out there put me out of my misery?

some days ago i saw a car (a Kia) called Carens, here in Milan. now, carens in latin, and carente in italian, mean <lacking in something>. reminded me of the ifnmaous UL about the Chevy Nova...

And then, of course, there's the Ford Pinto, which didn't sell well in Latin America, due to "pinto" being a derogatory term for an undersized piece of male anatomy in those parts...

And in France the blockbuster film Jaws had been called Les Dents De La Mer, meaning The Teeth of the Sea. Unfortunately when Jaws 2 came out they had a bit of trouble with the title, because Les Dents de la Mer Deux sounded like The Teeth of the Shit.

gncxx said:
And in France the blockbuster film Jaws had been called Les Dents De La Mer, meaning The Teeth of the Sea. Unfortunately when Jaws 2 came out they had a bit of trouble with the title, because Les Dents de la Mer Deux sounded like The Teeth of the Shit.

Well they don't seem to have used that title - they went for "Les Dents De La Mer 2e Partie" (Jaws the Second Part).

See:

The French Joke: The original Jaws was released in France as Les Dents De La Mer (literally "The Teeth of the Sea"). When asked to direct the sequel, French Director Jeannot Szwarc suggested that the French Translation be entitled Les Dents De La Mer 2e Partie ("Second Part"), because "Les Dents De La Mer Deux" would have sounded like "The Teeth of the Shit!" in French. This would have made an excellent title for the fourth film of the series, however!

and the film poster is on that page too:

www.worldsgreatestcritic.com/jaws2.html

Brilliant : a whole new topic. Alternative, but far more descriptive, names for films whose title doesn't do them justice.
My suggestion, stillfor "Pretty Woman":
"I'm a street-corner hooker but that's OK because I'm a good person inside and I'm only doing it because I really need the money, so where's that billionaire I deserve?"

Casablanca - Grumpy Old Bloke Acts Grumpy Then Decides He's Doesn't Like Girls Shoots German and Runs off With A Frenchman

"Wannabe rock-star runs into bunch of alien-animated zombies, falls in love with a girl who turns out to be a boy, but everything turns out OK because the guitarist cuts the alien mothership in half with his guitar."

Not sure that really captures the spirit of Wild Zero, but it's the best I could do.

Anome_ said:
"Wannabe rock-star runs into bunch of alien-animated zombies, falls in love with a girl who turns out to be a boy, but everything turns out OK because the guitarist cuts the alien mothership in half with his guitar."

Not sure that really captures the spirit of Wild Zero, but it's the best I could do.

A genius-level movie, and a great band.

Corrections of terminology in this area are soon followed by disrespectful variants in the teenage world. "Mong" seems to have outlasted the very dodgy term "Mongoloid" but I am sorry to say that it has been joined by "Downer" in some places. "Tard" is quite popular, though I think the abbreviation is an American one, perhaps picked up on websites. "Retarded" has long been banished from education-speak but I can recall one young man whose anger-management issues were inflamed by being called a "Spac." I thought, at first, it was an abbreviation of "Spastic" but that seems to have died out with the collecting boxes. He understood "Spac" as derived from "Special Needs." :rolleyes:

Sorry to deflect the thread, but always loved Platform Three by Spizzoil. Carry on please...

I thought, at first, it was an abbreviation of "Spastic" but that seems to have died out with the collecting boxes. He understood "Spac" as derived from "Special Needs." :rolleyes:

The Spastics Society renaming themselves Scope was a fairly epic fail when teenagers stopping calling people 'fucking spastics' and started calling them 'fucking scopies' instead.

Isn't saying someone is 'a bit special' or 'spesh' a thing?

Honda was about to release a new car called Honda Fitta in Europe a few years ago. Unfortunately for them "fitta" is slang for vagina in Norway. So they renamed it Honda Jazz for the European market instead.

Back