• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Godzilla

A

Anonymous

Has anyone seen that they are releasing the original Godzilla at movie theaters in the US? Spring/Summer 2004. It is supposed to be uncut and uncensored. A little camp but I will definitely go see.

I haven't heard that! I did manage to see that a few years back at the local art house. It is worth seeing if you like that sort of thing!

I am sure it will be digitally remastered. I used to love staying up watching the old Godzilla movies I think it will be a riot. I will probably take my nieces and my daughter I think they will love it! I wish they would rerelease more of the old classics. There is a Theater hear that shows old movies once a month. It is usually more classic stuff such as Breakfast at Tiffanys. I live in a rather small city and we don't have an art house theater, I wish that we did I miss so many independent and have to wait for video.

It's an hour drive for me to get to the art house stuff, so I sort of understand. We had a little theater that used to play such things, but now it is a folk music venue.:rolleyes: Who would really want folk music instead of men in rubber suits smashing stuff?;)

The city where I used to live had an art house theater that I loved. But it was a very art oriented community and even the chain theaters played some independent films. Now I live in a military town. There is a larger city about an hour away but they do not have one either.

gl5210 said:
A little camp but I will definitely go see.
Not to forget that the original was influenced by the traumatic events of the A-boming of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which were overlayed on traditional fears of earthquake, tsunami, tornado, volcanic eruption and the other natural mega-disasters which have plagued Japan since time immemorial.

'Gojira' is a modern Japanese symbol of the Apocalypse.

Is that an 'R' rating on the poster?

Back in the Seventies, the original (1933) 'King Kong' got a limited cinema re-release, when the De Laurentis version came out.

In their wisdom, the 'British Board of Film Censors' gave it a 'U' rating, mmeaning it was suitable for all ages.

On the small screen, it looks quaint enough. But, 30ft high on a cinema screen, Kong is still enough to send toddlers screaming, with their mums, from the cinema. Especially, at the bit when he's ripping into the tyrannosaur!

So, think twice before you take young kids to see Godzilla. ;)

when my mum used to take us boy to the cinema they woudl have Gozilla movies on (un advertised) as a b film... it was a mystery to us as they wer ein original japanes!.. i destinctively remeber mechaking kon vs king kong on top of some highrise swinging into each other... also the evolution of the "monsters" from bad to good mystified us..

I would love to see that!! but the chances of anything that interesting coming to my multi-plex infested area are less than zero. I live in a university town you would have thought we would have had at least one art-house cinema or even a film society.

Re: Re: Godzilla

AndroMan said:
Is that an 'R' rating on the poster?
No. It looks like it's an '®', 'R', for 'Registered Trademark.'

Sneaky, eh? Looks like that's its certification. ;)

Lillith said:
I would love to see that!! but the chances of anything that interesting coming to my multi-plex infested area are less than zero. I live in a university town you would have thought we would have had at least one art-house cinema or even a film society.

Same here!

The original is very moving. Much more than just a giant monster flick. I look forward to seeing it again.

trouble is one week Godzilla was a baddie the next he was a goodie and the next king Kong was with him!

My personal favorite was with the giant turtle with jet engines. I can never remember his name. It was those things you stayed up til the late late show on saturday nights to watch. I am personally terrible at remembering names especially for things I haven't seen in a while.

I have one word...

gl5210 said:
My personal favorite was with the giant turtle with jet engines. I can never remember his name. It was those things you stayed up til the late late show on saturday nights to watch. I am personally terrible at remembering names especially for things I haven't seen in a while.

GAMERA!

Thank you it would have driven me crazy all day!!! I saw that one on T.V. about a year ago... great. Though I have to say did NOT like the updated one they did a few years ago with Mathew Broderick awful. "I'm Godzilla and I hide in sewer pipes and office buildings." The classics are the best , like those old Sinbad movies.

gl5210 said:
Thank you it would have driven me crazy all day!!! I saw that one on T.V. about a year ago... great. Though I have to say did NOT like the updated one they did a few years ago with Mathew Broderick awful. "I'm Godzilla and I hide in sewer pipes and office buildings." The classics are the best , like those old Sinbad movies.

Halleluiah brother (or sister)! I completely agree. I always thought that movie should have been named Godzilla's Cousin Joe (no offense to people named Joe intended ;) ). I saw it with a 5 year old, and he said in the middle of it "This looks like Jurrasic Park." The "new" Godzilla - Giant Monster All Out Attack- pokes a little fun at the american version.

I, too, have a terrible time remembering names and other assorted stuffs. I sympathize. Maybe we should start the Godzilla Club for the Memory Impaired. :D

King Kong is powered by lightning according to the Godzilla people.
King Ghidorah is still the best 'Zilla badboy.

King Ghidorah is definately a sharp looking monster. I have the King Ghidorah beanie baby, or what ever they call them. It's very cool. However, I will always have a soft spot for Mothra. She is just trying to protect her egg and she has those cute little twins that sing to her. Mothra movies are total chick flicks!

Anzillas/Anguiras/Anzilla was always my favorite. He had no special powers and he got ass kicked in almost every movie he was in (see "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla"). He had a lot of spunk to go with those spikes, though (sorry, :eek:). Just when you thought you'd seen the last of him he'd show up in another movie.

gl5210 said:
Though I have to say did NOT like the updated one they did a few years ago with Mathew Broderick awful.
Not a Godzilla movie, at all, just a giant reptile flick!

At least according to Sunnydale's Andrew and Xander and they would know. ;)

I agree. It was I would say in the top ten of all time worst movies.

Bannik said:
Anzillas/Anguiras/Anzilla was always my favorite. He had no special powers and he got ass kicked in almost every movie he was in (see "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla").

He made another pathetic showing in GODZILLA VS. GIGAN. Definitely the omega male of Monster Island.

So, I am going to have to be the first one to mention Son of Godzilla. Does anybody have a real answer to where the little squirt came from?

As long as nobody mentions that Godzookie thing from the cartoon series it's all good.

Do you guys remember the animated Godzilla cartoon that was on in I think the 70's? THe intro went something like:

Up from the depths
Forty stories high
Breathing Fire
Godzilla!
Godzilla !
and GodZooki?

Is that the son of Godzilla you are talking about or was there a live action version?

Maybe Parthenogenesis? Some reptiles don't need a mate to produce offspring but it is still usually the females that do it.

Sorry I mentioned Godzooki I was writing my post while you posted pretend I didn't bring it up!!

gl5210 said:
Sorry I mentioned Godzooki I was writing my post while you posted pretend I didn't bring it up!!

It's too late, I'm scarred. And not in a good way either! :splat:

Who would have thought that a little old thread about giant monsters would be so traumatic!:blah:

Back