• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Godzilla

I won't get any sleep now. Nowt much new there though.

Son of Godzilla??
Probably something to do with the cutesy era of Toho and the merchandising people wanting to squeeze some more money out of the big, radioactive mutant.

I saw the original, Japanese version of Godzilla on TV a few years ago. Not bad at all.

The best Godzilla movie has to be Godzilla vs Mothra, which is magical. Funniest is probably Godzilla vs the Smog Monster.

Godzilla Girl said:
So, I am going to have to be the first one to mention Son of Godzilla. Does anybody have a real answer to where the little squirt came from?

This has been eating at me for a while too, so I went to the tape. In SON OF GODZILLA, researchers working on weather control experiments unleash a radioactive storm. This causes mantises to grow to an enormous size. For some reason (probably hunger), they start tearing into the side of a mountain. Embedded in the mountain rock is an egg of whatever the hell kind of creature Godzilla is supposed to be. They break it open and just as they're about to eat Scrappy-zilla, you know who shows. But I think it's made quite clear that there is no direct relation between the two.

So hopefully, I've saved GG's reputation and put an end to the rumors that she's just an egg-laying floozy.

Ogopogo said:
This has been eating at me for a while too, so I went to the tape. In SON OF GODZILLA, researchers working on weather control experiments unleash a radioactive storm. This causes mantises to grow to an enormous size. For some reason (probably hunger), they start tearing into the side of a mountain. Embedded in the mountain rock is an egg of whatever the hell kind of creature Godzilla is supposed to be. They break it open and just as they're about to eat Scrappy-zilla, you know who shows. But I think it's made quite clear that there is no direct relation between the two.

So hopefully, I've saved GG's reputation and put an end to the rumors that she's just an egg-laying floozy.

There are rumors? I thought I took care of those. ;)

thanks for the great kaiju pics site! you rock Godzilla Girl!

P

I always wondered where the Monsters got their names from. I mean, did Rodan the Flying Monster ever introduce himself before trashing Tokyo again? Or was there a secret Government Department (called Department X, probably) that had the responsibility of naming the buggers? Anyway, there was one where the big G and Anzillas/Anguiras/Anzilla or whatever it was called were talking to each other in deep growly voices, and in the '90s some wag released a Gamera video with a Eurotrash dubbing with Geordie, Welsh and other assorted regional accents doing the voices. How we all laughed.

Godzilla Girl said:
Here is a toy site. Don't look if you have no self control! It has a different focus from Clawmark Toys, but is fun nonetheless.

yay toys! are you in any way connected to this site? i see someone called GojiGirl here... BTW, what part of the Midwest are you from?

P

Ogopogo said:
He made another pathetic showing in GODZILLA VS. GIGAN. Definitely the omega male of Monster Island.
Ah, but he helped convert me to the appreciation of Godzilla flicks (def. among the finer things in life) when I saw him in Godzilla Versus The Smog Monster (shown on C4 one year when they did a brief season of 'Golden Turkey Award-Winners', but strangely omitted when they did a season of Godzilla flicks some years later): Anguirus vs. Godzilla in a knockdown night-time slugfest in between bouts with the smog monster, with Godzilla making like Mohammed Ali (boxing moves: fists up, fast footwork; I bust a gut laughing) before grabbing Anguirus' tail and swinging him around and around his head. Utterly wonderfully stupid sequence. I go to a happy place just remembering it now. :D

I'd also definitely recommend the book Son of Golden Turkey Awards. They go into a ton of Japanese monster movies like Varan the Unbelievable , The X from Outer Space, Infra-Man, War of the Gargantuans, Voyage Into Space, The Green Slime and Gappa the Triphibian Monster, which features the immortal lines, "The monsters are invading the city! Fortunately, they're in the Negro section of town."

Damn, I love this book. So many outstanding categories:

Worst Performance as a Nazi Mad Scientist
The Most Laughable Concept for an Outer Space Invader
The Worst Promotional Gimmick in Hollywood History
The Most Insufferable Kiddie Movie Ever Made
The Most Ludicrous Professional Name in Hollywood History

I took a cue from this book today and rented Mesa of Lost Women, winner of their Most Primitive Male Chauvinist Fantasy in Movie History award.

It still blows my mind that the co-author of these delightfully bitchy books became such a crusty, humorless conservative radio personality.

yay toys! are you in any way connected to this site? i see someone called GojiGirl here...

I would like to officially state that I have no affiliations to any website I mention. I am far too scattered and inept to be a part of such things!:blah:

On that note, if anybody ever wants to buy me a present....here is a good place to go:

http://www.musicman.com/mp/gz/gz1.html

i know

Ogopogo said:
It still blows my mind that the co-author of these delightfully bitchy books became such a crusty, humorless conservative radio personality.

What a sell out!

Fortunately Re/Search books wrote INCREDIBLY STRANGE FILMS to fill the gap left by the fossilizing of Medved's humour valve.

Re: i know

sninik said:
Fortunately Re/Search books wrote INCREDIBLY STRANGE FILMS to fill the gap left by the fossilizing of Medved's humour valve.

I have that one, too. These are priceless tomes for any bad movie fan. The Psychotronic Encyclopedia of Film is also a must-have.

i'm glad they mention The Green Slime. by far my favorite "rubber monster" movie of that era. i'm very much awaiting a DVD release.

oh and GodzillaGirl, that toy site had me ooooh'ing and awwwww'ing all day at work. i can't believe they had a Reptillicus toy!!!

P

Mothman said:
oh and GodzillaGirl, that toy site had me ooooh'ing and awwwww'ing all day at work. i can't believe they had a Reptillicus toy!!!

P

I'm always happy to help folks goof off at work!:D

Re: Re: i know

Ogopogo said:
I have that one, too. These are priceless tomes for any bad movie fan. The Psychotronic Encyclopedia of Film is also a must-have.

I haven't seen Psychotronic the magazine in forever! Here I am trying to cut down on my magazine subscriptions, and here you are reminding me of all the things I'm trying to forget! You're a bad influence, that's what I say. ;)

Zygon said:
Ah, but he helped convert me to the appreciation of Godzilla flicks (def. among the finer things in life) when I saw him in Godzilla Versus The Smog Monster (shown on C4 one year when they did a brief season of 'Golden Turkey Award-Winners', but strangely omitted when they did a season of Godzilla flicks some years later): Anguirus vs. Godzilla in a knockdown night-time slugfest in between bouts with the smog monster, with Godzilla making like Mohammed Ali (boxing moves: fists up, fast footwork; I bust a gut laughing) before grabbing Anguirus' tail and swinging him around and around his head. Utterly wonderfully stupid sequence.
Why don't I remember that scene? :confused: Are you sure it was in Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster? I don't remember Spikey being in that movie.

I go to a happy place just remembering it now. :D
I go to that same happy place when I replay the opening music in Godzilla's Revenge. :blissed:

Godzilla Girl said:
Do you have the Best of the Godzilla movies cd's? I definately listen to volume one more than volume two.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000061GJ/qid=1077241787/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-0492294-2223212
Actually, I don't have any Godzilla musical compilations or even any of the movies. I replay the song in my head from memory. :D I used loooooooooooooooooooooove Godzilla in the 80's when I was young and that's how I know so much about it to this day. The cd you showed me doesn't seem to have the song I was talking about on it. Too bad. It was quite groovey, don't you think?

Re: Re: Re: i know

Godzilla Girl said:
Here I am trying to cut down on my magazine subscriptions, and here you are reminding me of all the things I'm trying to forget! You're a bad influence, that's what I say. ;)

Oh. My. God.

She's becoming a Medved! Someone do something quick! Else, we'll lose her forever!

Harry Medved was alright, it's Michael who was the nutter. Whatever happened to Harry, anyway?

I've wondered about that, too. He seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. Maybe his mind finally snapped. Perhaps he was the original Mystery Science Theater 3000 experiment.

I mean the guy was watching stuff by Ted V. Mikels, Al Adamson, Ray Dennis Steckler and Andy Milligan while he was still in his teens. That can't be healthy for anyone. I'm sure it would have only taken a slight nudge, like say the oeuvre of a Jim Wynorski to push him over the brink completely.

New Film, then a ten year vacation (maybe)

Godzilla Girl said:
Awhile back, I heard a rumor concerning Godzilla vs Gamera. Anybody else hear of this? I haven't heard of anything recently.

Godzilla taking a break -- for now
Japanese film producer putting star on hiatus

Thursday, March 4, 2004 Posted: 3:19 PM EST (2019 GMT)

TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- Five decades after Godzilla first rose from the ocean, this monstrous movie star is about to take a break from show business.

Hit by slumping box office sales for the iconic series, Japan's Toho Co. is planning to shelve its Godzilla films after this year's finale.

Toho studios' executive producer, Shogo Tomiyama, said Thursday that the latest movie -- marking 28 releases and 50 years of "Godzilla" films -- would probably be the last one for at least a decade.

"We have done all we can to showcase Godzilla, including using computer-graphics technology. And yet we haven't attracted new fans," Tomiyama told The Associated Press. "So we will make the 50th anniversary film something special, a best-of-the-best, and then end it for now."

"Godzilla: Final Wars" is set to premiere in Japan in December, with a U.S. release to follow. The giant, genetically altered dinosaur will fight to the finish against 10 different foes, new and old.

Tomiyama refused to discuss the script, but said director Ryuhei Kitamura's epic would touch on Godzilla's past. The budget will top Toho's past record of $9 million.

Known in Japan as "Gojira," from a combination of the words for gorilla and whale, the monster born in a nuclear accident first appeared in director Ishiro Honda's 1954 black-and-white classic.

It featured an actor in a rubber suit emerging from the sea to stomp through a miniaturized Tokyo. For a nation rebuilding from the World War II atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the dark allegory about the global nuclear arms race was a familiar one -- and Japanese packed theaters to see it.

Inspired by the turnout, Toho made one sequel after another, tapping into worries about Armageddon. Part cautionary tale, part campy fun, the films have shown Godzilla hamming it up while saving humankind from crises of its own making: the Cold War, pollution, nuclear energy and biotechnology.
An audience of 'fanatics or children'

Although Toho says nearly 100 million people have seen its Godzilla series, over the years, stale story lines and outdated special effects have eroded Godzilla's broad appeal.

"Unlike the early Godzilla films, most of the remakes only draw either fanatics or children," said Risaku Kiridoshi, an essayist on Japanese pop culture.

An 1998 American production starring Matthew Broderick and a computer-generated Godzilla was critically panned ("a big, ugly, ungainly device to give teenagers the impression they are seeing a movie," wrote Roger Ebert). It earned $136 million at the box office after costing about $125 million to make.

Godzilla's dwindling popularity has led Toho to consider retiring the mutant monster before. In 1968, Toho announced it would end the series with "Destroy All Monsters," which had Godzilla battling a dozen other creatures. Its unanticipated success inspired Toho to bankroll six more.

After the 1975 flop "Terror of Mechagodzilla," Toho again seemed eager to say goodbye to its star. But a 1984 revival that became a box office smash prompted Toho to make 11 more over the next two decades.

Even if the new movie makes money, it will be at least a decade before Godzilla returns, Tomiyama said. He declined to say how the next-generation Godzilla might look, saying only that the filmmakers would have to make a clean break from past sequels.

Kiridoshi hopes Toho doesn't completely abandon its origins -- like the actor in the rubber suit.

"Without a person acting as Godzilla, it would just be animation," Kiridoshi said. "That's no different from Hollywood's 'Jurassic Park.' "

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press.

Re: New Film, then a ten year vacation (maybe)

lopaka said:
Godzilla taking a break -- for now
Japanese film producer putting star on hiatus

Thursday, March 4, 2004 Posted: 3:19 PM EST (2019 GMT)

TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- Five decades after Godzilla first rose from the ocean, this monstrous movie star is about to take a break from show business.

I wonder if Crocodile Dundee gets to wrestle him (I also wonder if he'll stomp Steve Irwin too):

Last Update: Sunday, March 21, 2004. 8:28am (AEDT)

Godzilla set to stomp through Sydney

Gigantic monster Godzilla will crush the Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge in his final film.

The film called Final Wars features Godzilla fighting 10 other monsters in different locations around the world including New York, Shanghai and Paris.

Broken Hill in western New South Wales will be a shooting location to represent deserts in Arizona and Sydney suburban streets will be filmed to look like New York City.

The New South Wales government is in final discussions with the Japanese producers and the film is due for release in December by its Japanese distributors.

"Everyone remembers those grainy black and white images of Godzilla attacking Tokyo office workers... and now millions of Japanese people, and potential tourists, will see Godzilla stomping his way across our beautiful country," NSW acting premier, Dr Andrew Refshauge said.

Godzilla, first filmed in 50 years ago, features a creature which rose out of the sea and swam to Japan after being woken up by an atomic bomb test in Bikini Atoll.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1070304.htm

Come to Kansas This Autumn: Study, See Godzilla

In Godzilla's Footsteps:
Japanese Pop Culture Icons on the Global Stage

October 28-30, 2004
Lawrence, Kansas, USA

The interdisciplinary, international symposium "In Godzilla's Footsteps: Japanese Pop Culture Icons on the Global Stage" marks the fiftieth birthday of the King of the Monsters, commemorating the release of the original film Gojira in Tokyo on 3 November 1954. The symposium presenters will consider the Godzilla films and how they were shaped by (and in turn shaped) postwar Japanese culture, as well as the globalization of Japanese popular culture in the wake of the Godzilla phenomenon. Fifteen scholars from a wide range of disciplines - Anthropology, Culture Studies, Film Studies, History, Literature, and Theater - were selected to participate in the symposium through an international call for papers in the fall of 2002. Invited plenary presentations will be made by Ted Bestor (Harvard University), Susan Napier (University of Texas, Austin) and Sato Kenji (Japanese media critic and author of Gojira to Yamato to bokura no minshu shugi). A variety of related public programming - film screenings, exhibitions in KU libraries and museums, pre-conference presentations, and a theatrical production - will supplement the formal symposium sessions and engage the community in the event.

International audiences have had extensive exposure to Japanese popular culture exports since the 1950s, from the first black-and-white Godzilla films, through the Speed Racer cartoons, manga (comic books) and the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers series, and up to the more recent worldwide fascination with anime, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! But despite this long history, serious attention to Japanese popular culture and its global impact has been belated, with significant scholarly investigations only beginning within the past decade. Although the Godzilla films were the first Japanese popular culture product to gain mass appeal in the United States after World War II, and although the Godzilla film series is now the longest running franchise in world cinema history, scholars of Japanese studies and film have generally dismissed Godzilla as trivial, "cheesy" fare for children and a hardcore fan subculture. Yet as Godzilla has become a global pop culture icon - inspiring rap lyrics, novels and plays, countless jokes on The Simpsons, and cinematic remakes from North Korea to Hollywood - the broader cultural and social significance of this Japanese movie monster cannot be denied.

The symposium "In Godzilla's Footsteps: Japanese Pop Culture Icons on the Global Stage" will challenge longstanding assumptions, examining Godzilla from a range of disciplinary perspectives and revealing the significance of the Godzilla films as pioneering examples of the postwar globalization of Japanese popular culture. By encouraging a better understanding of the Godzilla films, their international appeal, and their relationship with later pop culture exports from Japan, this event will provide new insights on the postwar Japanese "culture industry," the international reception and adaptation of Japanese popular culture, and the complex function of pop culture icons in the dynamics of globalization. A special session, featuring one presentation and a panel discussion, will investigate ways of teaching Godzilla and Japanese popular culture in both university and pre-collegiate classrooms. In three plenary presentations, Susan Napier will trace the postwar trajectory of Japanese pop culture and globalization, Sato Kenji will consider Godzilla in the context of war and memory, and Ted Bestor will serve as discussant, drawing together themes from all the presentations in a final session.

A wide range of Godzilla-related public events will be held in Lawrence in September and October 2004. A series of pre-symposium public lectures will include Frederik Schodt, the internationally known expert on Japanese popular culture, who will speak on the globalization of manga on 14 October 2004 at the University of Kansas. A performance of original one-act plays on the theme "Godzilla and the Seven Deadly Sins" will be staged in mid-October 2004 by KU's English Alternative Theater, a nationally recognized student company. Free public screenings of three Godzilla films will be held on the evenings of 28-30 October at Liberty Hall in downtown Lawrence. Discussions led by local scholars will follow each screening. Exhibitions related to the conference topic will (tentatively) be held at KU's Watson Library, the Spencer Research Library and the Museum of Natural History.

"In Godzilla's Footsteps: Japanese Pop Culture Icons on the Global Stage" is co-organized by University of Kansas faculty William M. Tsutsui (Associate Professor of Modern Japanese History) and Michiko Ito (Japanese Studies Librarian). The symposium is sponsored by the University of Kansas Center for East Asian Studies with additional financial support from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the Kansas Asia Scholars, the Kansas Consortium for Teaching about Asia, the Hall Center for the Humanities, and the University of Kansas Center for Research.

Godzilla(R) and King of the Monsters are trademarks of Toho Co., Ltd.

http://www.g2004.ku.edu

Here is a list of what I heard will be the monsters appearing in the 50th anniversary Godzilla movie this December.

Godzilla
Gigan
Hedorah (aka The Smog Monster)
Minya (Son of Godzilla)
Kumonga (aka Spiga)
Gamaceras (Giant mantis)
Manda (giant snake)
Anguirus (aka Angilas)
Rodan
Ebirah (big lobster)
Mothra
King Ceasar
and...... MONSTER X

Toho is being quiet at the moment as to who Monster X will be. Some think it might be Ghidorah (but why the secret?), others think it might be...Gamera! :D We shall see.

Back