Good Posting Practices

INT21

Antediluvian
About Yith's post above - my name is Saint Frideswide and I endorse this message.

Don't you have to be dead to be made a Saint ? do zombies count ?

:)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Jesus Christ was technically a zombie. But I fear we're getting off topic.

Intolerance is rife across the internet, and I think we do better here than in other places for keeping it in check. That's not to say it doesn't exist, it tends to make itself apparent in patronising comments, rather than outright insults, though. If someone posts something truly reactionary, I tend to ignore it, because attention is what such things feed on. Besides, I don't have the stomach for a flame war.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
The line from Stu, which I agree with, is that although we share the concern that Krepostnoi raises (and he certainly isn't alone in having it) that a number of long-term posters do not like the tone of some of the discussions here (again, typically non-Fortean), there is only so much we can practically do (much of which has been done), and efforts to coax members back on a one-to-one basis (even those we dearly wish to retain) are labour-intensive and more than often ineffective.
Yith is understating somewhat: we have until recently spent a disproportionate amount of time brokering and counselling. In some cases, this is with justification, but in others we have (and will continue to adopt) the approach that whilst we'll listen, and in the case of genuine injustices intervene and help, if someone's just got the hump then we're not going to chase them.

We are not here to just say "Poster A is correct, so stop arguing with them." There will of course be times when that is the correct action, but by and large, as Yith said, discussions are allowed to run their course, and we only step in when they go seriously off-piste, or ad homs, flaming or trolling start. People respectfully disagreeing with you does not constitute any of the above. Get over yourself.

(Opinions welcome by PM to me or any other mod you spot online--although two are away at the time of writing).
After a lengthy sojourn I'm back. Any complaints about the mod team please address them to me.

That Magazine vid still looks very like the Belmez faces.

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
RE: the `DailyMailification` of this board.

Sorry, but I think some people just need to calm down a bit.

I would have agreed with that line if it had been said three years ago during a certain national `debate` - when it seemed to me (and some others) that a particular line was being pursued by most of the posters here - and those who disagreed were told to shut up. Some people left during that period - and I almost did.

Since that time, and perhaps because of it, the Politics threads have been removed and an apolitical approach has been enforced. I was a little dubious about this move at the time, but have since come to see it as a good idea: the fortean traffic has increased and there is a better atmosphere and sense of unity all round.

However, I do feel that any further restrictions along these lines would be excessive. It's right and natural that there should be a mainstream news secrion on here - and only to be expected that differing views will be aired on them.

I'm a namby-pamby New Statesman-loving Remaniac and some people here hold views which I regard as lamentable. But it's just a simple case of them being entitled to their opinions and to expressing them.

Liberal/left/greens have never had a monopoly on Fortean interests - far from it. Observe how the Dailly Mail and the Express (particularly the latter) regularly cover stories of fortean interest that other outlets do not, for example.

The same situation applies in the teaching world. There was a time, even quite recently, when a teacher - particularly in E.S.L - would be expected to hold liberal leftish views on most things. Not any more - if my own experience is anything to go by. A great many of my expat colleagues have political views which greatly diverge from my own. Now since I'm a bit isolated out here - I can't really be all that choosy about my pisshead buddy's drinking partners so I have had to learn to be tolerant (as, I suppose, have they).

I had learnt at quite a young age that Just Because Someone Agrees With Your Political Values it doesn't Mean You'll Get On With Them - now I am learning (at quite an old age) That A Person You Disagree With Strongly On Politics Can Be Otherwise A Decent Fellow.

Then there's the Chat section! I think the best role that this plays is as a repository of (usually mildly Fortean ) doodles which don't really fit anywhere else. What gets me down though is when you come on here to see what the latest is and you encounter a one liner in a thread called something like Not Very Interesting Things You did Five Minutes Ago, which runs:

So I went out to buy a chicken for my Aunty Magge's seventieth anniversary, When I got the chicken home I realised that it was going to need quite a lot of defrosting - but it was only when I put it in the microwave that I realised that the microwave was broken LOL!

Some of us come on here to escape that kind of banality. And as for the `Troll's Head` : what THE HELL is that all about!?!?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
RE: the `DailyMailification` of this board.

Sorry, but I think some people just need to calm down a bit.

I would have agreed with that line if it had been said three years ago during a certain national `debate` - when it seemed to me (and some others) that a particular line was being pursued by most of the posters here - and those who disagreed were told to shut up. Some people left during that period - and I almost did.

Since that time, and perhaps because of it, the Politics threads have been removed and an apolitical approach has been enforced. I was a little dubious about this move at the time, but have since come to see it as a good idea: the fortean traffic has increased and there is a better atmosphere and sense of unity all round.

However, I do feel that any further restrictions along these lines would be excessive. It's right and natural that there should be a mainstream news secrion on here - and only to be expected that differing views will be aired on them.

I'm a namby-pamby New Statesman-loving Remaniac and some people here hold views which I regard as lamentable. But it's just a simple case of them being entitled to their opinions and to expressing them.

Liberal/left/greens have never had a monopoly on Fortean interests - far from it. Observe how the Dailly Mail and the Express (particularly the latter) regularly cover stories of fortean interest that other outlets do not, for example.

The same situation applies in the teaching world. There was a time, even quite recently, when a teacher - particularly in E.S.L - would be expected to hold liberal leftish views on most things. Not any more - if my own experience is anything to go by. A great many of my expat colleagues have political views which greatly diverge from my own. Now since I'm a bit isolated out here - I can't really be all that choosy about my pisshead buddy's drinking partners so I have had to learn to be tolerant (as, I suppose, have they).

I had learnt at quite a young age that Just Because Someone Agrees With Your Political Values it doesn't Mean You'll Get On With Them - now I am learning (at quite an old age) That A Person You Disagree With Strongly On Politics Can Be Otherwise A Decent Fellow.

Then there's the Chat section! I think the best role that this plays is as a repository of (usually mildly Fortean ) doodles which don't really fit anywhere else. What gets me down though is when you come on here to see what the latest is and you encounter a one liner in a thread called something like Not Very Interesting Things You did Five Minutes Ago, which runs:

So I went out to buy a chicken for my Aunty Magge's seventieth anniversary, When I got the chicken home I realised that it was going to need quite a lot of defrosting - but it was only when I put it in the microwave that I realised that the microwave was broken LOL!

Some of us come on here to escape that kind of banality. And as for the `Troll's Head` : what THE HELL is that all about!?!?
The Troll's Head is really a substitute for IRC.

We have said many times that we wish there was a way to enable an 'opt in /opt out' setting for CHAT and/or MAINSTREAM NEWS but there isn't. Hence the non-Fortean and the trivial must remain bedfellows.

Personally, I'm content with the respective levels of posts that CHAT / MAINSTREAM NEWS / FORTEANA have been generating since the change of hosts. It seems to be flowing in about the right measures.

henry

still speeding
maybe they could be limited to single threads ? would make the whats-new results page a lot tidier and focussed while dealing with the what-were-you-doing-5-minutes-ago endless duplication

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Perhaps someone with the tech wizardry could make it so you can filter out those subjects from New posts?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Perhaps someone with the tech wizardry could make it so you can filter out those subjects from New posts?
As far as I've been able to ascertain to date, there's no reasonable and effective means for segregating reported updates so as to achieve a filtration effect.

Even if we corralled all the "trivia" content into a single forum section, it's not clear to me we have any ability to exclude a particular public section from being represented in the What's New listing.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
maybe they could be limited to single threads ? would make the whats-new results page a lot tidier and focussed while dealing with the what-were-you-doing-5-minutes-ago endless duplication
In principle, we could collapse all the "What Are You ..." (etc.) threads into a single (e.g.) "What's Up With You?" thread. However ...

- As Yith pointed out, it would be huge and unwieldy.
- It wouldn't prevent members from creating additional trivia threads as time goes on.
- There's the issue of achieving consensus on what should be merged into such a catch-all trivia thread.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
The posting of blind links (links alone, without any introductory or explanatory text) is discouraged as bad posting practice.

In the past week there have been blind links posted in the Profile Posts (the little posts displayed on the top-level forums / entry page).

Profile Posts are intended to be concise comments concerning a given user's status.

For this and other reasons, posting blind links in Profile Posts is considered even less appropriate than posting them in regular posts within thread.

Please do not post blind links within the Profile Posts.

A simple reminder (no names, no pack-drill):

A) Please quote a sample and a title for any article you link to--especially when starting a thread.

B) Please post direct links to the article's URL, not links that go through news aggregators or Google.

Appreciated.
Perhaps you could pm the offending parties? They might miss your post.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Eight pounds ten in the biscuit tin
Walking alone through the afternoon traffic...
My standard practice is to passive-aggressively edit and correct every time the user makes the mistake and wait for them to catch on.

Your suggestion may be more sensible.
It might be that if a poster or posters continually has their mistakes corrected they will feel no incentive to fix the mistakes themselves.

If you'll pardon me for making the observation. :curt:

My standard practice is to passive-aggressively edit and correct every time the user makes the mistake and wait for them to catch on.

Your suggestion may be more sensible.
If the poster is ignoring you and continuing to post links which end up in impossibly unwieldy urls then you might well be justified in suspending their posting abilities for say 48 hours, that might get the message across.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
If the poster is ignoring you and continuing to post links which end up in impossibly unwieldy urls then you might well be justified in suspending their posting abilities for say 48 hours, that might get the message across.
You probably know as well as I do the range of responses a polite request to change posting habits can elicit.

This week I've had one 'polite and friendly understanding' and one 'mordant sarcasm'.