Good Posting Practices

mejane

Justified & Ancient
Quoting posts

A bit of netiquette advise for those who haven't quite got to grips with things yet...

When quoting a previous post it helps everyone else if you use the php "quote" function instead of just putting the text in inverted commas or brackets. It's easy to do - just copy the text you wish to quote, click the "Quote" button near the top of the screen, paste the text and then click "ok".

the text will appear like this
If you want to quote an entire post (useful only if the post is fairly short and not immediately above your own post) then click the "Quote" button instead of the "Reply" button at the bottom of the post you wish to reply to. You will then get something like this:

originally posted by mejane
the text will appear like this

followed by your own comments.

Even a non-techy like me can do it!

Jane.

Mighty_Emperor

Beloved of Ra
A few general pointers:

1. Check that it hasn't already been posted or, if you are starting a thread, make sure there isn't already a thread on this topic - the search facility is OK (if not perfect) and should bring up previous topics and if it doesn't we don't mind moving things around if people have made an effort first (see 5).

2. Consider posting the relevant parts of a news report rather than just simply linking to it (esp. if it is very relevant to the thread and/or your point) as news tends to be ephemeral and most eventually disappear and it can be frustrating going through old threads that have been rendered

3. Please use the QUOTE markup tags - see above. It helps everyone tell if it is your words or someone elses and can help avoid confusion

4. If you post a news report or excerpts from another site please include a link - it acts as a credit, we can check facts, etc.

5. Don't treat it as a slight if it has to be moved at some point - it is less a reflection on you and more just part of our general housekeeping/filing duties. If you spot a post that needs merging (or moving) don't reply with a link to the other thread with a "its already being discussed here" drop both links into the Reorganisation thread.

6. Make sure the colour of the text doesn't clash with the forum's background colour as there are a number of options with the text colour that make text virtually unreadable on this grey background (unless its done for comedy purposes).

7. The board no longer automatically shortens links and they will make the board awfully wide (for some browsers). We will edit large links when they come to our attention (post them in the re-org thread if you spot them) but it'd be easier if they were posted in a shortened form initially. You can use the BBcode posted below or consider using one of the link shortening services like TinyURL or MakeAShorterLink. A good rule of thumb on length is if the link is much wider than the text box the messages goes into.

8. Can you make the title of the thread indicate its contents? You can still be creative (and even make bad puns - thats me really but anyone is welcome to join me) as long as it isn't WTF??, etc.

Also make sure you have read the following:

FAQs

Note: This isn't directed any specific people but are just a few things I've noticed as a mod and general board user as well as being the result of my learning from my making mistakes. They aren't rules just general guidelines to bear in mind when you are posting and might make life easier for current board users as well as helping future members.

If you wish to direct people to this post the URL is:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 224#425224

but do it privately to save people's feelings.

Cavynaut

Justified & Ancient
How do you quote and then answer more than one point from a particular post?

What I mean is...

Quote one.

My answer.

Quote two.

My answer.

etc, etc.

Sorry if I seem a bit thick, but I've noticed several people managing it, and I'd like to know how.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
All pressing the quote button does is put the tag [qu*te] before the text you want to quote and the tag [/qu*te] after it. You can easily just type those by hand and copy and paste the text you want in between. i.e type "[qu*te]" - then copy the text you want to quote - then type "[/qu*te]" and put your comments after the last bracket.

:)

* replace all *'s with Os - if i actually typed Os in this post and not *s it would make them quotes for me and not show what i meant....

Cavynaut: If it is to address different parts of one reply I tend to hit the quote button and then highlight and copy and paste the quote a number of times and then edit the to leave in the relevant bit - it often helps to use something like Notepad if there is a lot of material.

oll_lewis

Justified & Ancient
Can I contribute a little netiquette point?... I hope this is the right thread to add it too. (not in resonce to things that have happened recently just things that have come up in the past and could do with being added to the netiquite list).

please don't just post to correct another posters spellings, if you are quoteing them and wish to correct any typos in the quote fine. However, it often comes of as a 'neer, neer, I'm smarter than you' post if people try to corect spellings even if that is not intended because many trolls or people who have lot arguments people use 'correcting spelling' as a last resort to try and flame people when they can't think of other ways or clever retorts.

I have creative spelling because I speak both welsh and english and both languages have very different spellings and it's hard keeping track of both, for others it may be becase of dislexia or just a tendency to typo, a persons spelling is no reflexion on their inteligence.

A

Anonymous

Lord_Flashheart said:
please don't just post to correct another posters spellings, if you are quoteing them and wish to correct any typos in the quote fine. However, it often comes of as a 'neer, neer, I'm smarter than you' post if people try to corect spellings even if that is not intended because many trolls or people who have lot arguments people use 'correcting spelling' as a last resort to try and flame people when they can't think of other ways or clever retorts.
Noted. Sorry. That's me sometimes, ain't it? :blush:

hecate10

Devoted Cultist
good POSTING practices????

......eh?.....

Would someone like to interpret please?????

Incidentally I had an email telling me about this reply 'to a thread I had posted on...' - I never!!!!

A

Anonymous

FuManChu said:
If you want to send declarations of undying love, or death threats, don't use PM,... stick to the crayon and snail mail system, you know it makes sense
And why would that be?

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
FuManChu said:
If you want to send declarations of undying love, or death threats, don't use PM,... stick to the crayon and snail mail system, you know it makes sense
How about Fiendish Plot discussions?

Stormkhan

Justified & Ancient
Naturally you can't beat the cut-out-newspaper-text method of slasher-stalker mail. It adds a little "something" to the message. Like saliva!

Some things have been spoiled by the internet.

Andylkl1

Junior Acolyte
Stormkhan said:
Naturally you can't beat the cut-out-newspaper-text method of slasher-stalker mail. It adds a little "something" to the message. Like saliva!

Some things have been spoiled by the internet.
Saliva, blood and any other bodily fluids imaginable... :lol:

But at least we could expect an instant response through the internet!

It appears that the "link breaking" feature (which split up long URLs to stop them breaking the baord) isn't available in the current installation of the forum.

We'll see if there is a fix but we'd ask people posting any URLs (or at least long ones) to use the format:

Source

Gemaki

Ephemeral Spectre
Long posts, eh? Ohhh, where is Kathesung when we need him?! :shock:

Ahh, well, good luck with the 9,000 posts saying "what the HELL!?" .... poor Emps. ;)

Stormkhan

Justified & Ancient
It's when you take an irritating little Troll, a gallon of petrol and a box of matches...

No, but seriously folks...

Troll - Inadequate and possibly adolescent twerp who posts inflammatory or purposefully rude posts just to create unpleasantness and upset. Method of Response - Completely ignore and, if they've been personally abusive or hurtful, report to Moderators.

Flame - It's what Trolls (qv) do ... a thread that might've been a discussion or even a mild disagreement turns into a full-blown slanging match, resulting in several warnings or bans of posters. Sometimes the start of a "flame war" can be traced back to one or two trolls who, having set the fuse alight, get some form of thrill to see the trouble it starts. Method of Response - Appeal to better natures of posters and, in the event of failure, "forget" to read the thread for a while to see if things cool down. If continuing, report to Moderators and forget reading it again.

It ain't clever, it ain't funny and it's easy to remedy ... ignore!

TheQuixote

Justified & Ancient
As Stormkhan said.

A Flame is a post or email that is intended to be rude or cause upset to the recipitent.

A Flame War is where an inflammatory post/email is intended to cause a number of people upset and basically create an ongoing *war* of words between a person and or groups.

This Net dictionary may be of use to those unsure of terms that are often bandied about:
http://www.netlingo.com/inframes.cfm

There's also information in the FAQ on the FTMB.

A bit more info on aspects of trolling.

http://www.searchlores.org/trolls.htm : This site lists their opinions on the differences between Trolls, Flamers, Shills and Kooks.

What makes a f*ckhead?: http://thingy.apana.org.au/~fun/fsckhead.html

2f) The GANG TROLL- A single troll will invite others to join a
successful thread, or a group of trolls will agree to launch a
simultaneous attack on a pre-determined target NG. Coordination is
done by e-mail, on the home newsgroup (alt.troll), ICQ, or some other
method of communication. The trolls may choose to argue opposite sides
of the issue, half pretending to be groupers who are over-the-top and
fight back against the evil trolls, or all just blast away at the
regulars. An individual may also be the target, in which case the
trolling may cross NG borders. The gang troll can be performed in
tandem with any of the other trolling types to completely befuddle the
NG. This can be done for a few days, stopping as suddenly as it
started, or go on until the group (or individual) self-destructs.
http://groups.google.com/groups?ie=UTF- ... =&hl=en-us

http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?FalseRepentance

Somewhat related, Godwin's Law is summarised here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_Law

pintquaff

Devoted Cultist
Cheers peeps, now i feel more enlightened, and i can stop looking for greenskinned monsters and concentrate on the tetacled type :_omg:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
PintQuaff said:
...and concentrate on the tetacled type :_omg:
Stormkhan said:
Not forgetting the horrors who emerge from school gates on a friday afternoon...
Combining the two: Is this some kind of Japanese fetishistic sickness? :shock:

Stormkhan

Justified & Ancient
My Gods! This is how the scriptwriters for mobile phone ads get thier ideas ... they lurk on the FTMB!

sunsplash1

Justified & Ancient
Stormkhan said:
My Gods! This is how the scriptwriters for mobile phone ads get thier ideas ... they lurk on the FTMB!
There are script writers for moblile phones? Crikey! What's the word limit? and what are the budget constraints? (I've got this script see...)
:D Colgate - whitens while you inhale -

Stormkhan

Justified & Ancient
When you see Colgate ads showing cartoon people grinning and flying around after brushing their teeth, perhaps the advertising execs use a "special" ingredient in their own toothpaste!

Mal_Adjusted

Justified & Ancient
Hi

Good posting practices?

cutting down on the off topic stuff maybe? ;)

on a more serious note.

while we're getting used to the new board, peeps might like to make use of the preview button, to check their posts before submitting them.

Mal

Could people refrain from using the tiny font size as, at my screen resolution anyway, it is unreadable

Can't read the above? Quite. So to reinterate:

Don't use the tiny font size!!!!

;)

I'm sure I posted this in another thread but I'll post it here too.

Some people link to a specific page on a thread but it is better to either link to the start of the thread or to a specific post which starts the section you are refering too. This used to be a bit tricky but luckily phpBB2 makes it very easy - the direct link to each post is provided by these graphics in the top of a post:

Right click and copy or do whatever it is you do.

It makes life easier for everyone and can make what one is refering to clearer .