Good Posting Practices

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
If it's a news story, just check NEW POSTS.

We've had the Tiger twice and Snowden twice (or arguably three times).
Yesterday we had the 'tossing coins into aeroplane engines' story on three separate threads and today we've had news of Derek Acorah's death on three threads.

It takes but a few moments to search.

Plus, if it's current news, then SEARCH > ADVANCED SEARCH will allow you to set the date parameter to the past day or two.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Yesterday we had the 'tossing coins into aeroplane engines' story on three separate threads and today we've had news of Derek Acorah's death on three threads.

It takes but a few moments to search.

Plus, if it's current news, then SEARCH > ADVANCED SEARCH will allow you to set the date parameter to the past day or two.
And also can we make sure that we spell titles correctly as it makes searching very difficult otherwise.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I was looking for a forum thread covering general photograhic interests... 'The Photography Thread'...

Unless I missed it, there doesn't seem to be one?

Just that I have mentioned the topic on another thread and would have noted where any further interest re photography, could be redirected.

If there isn't actually anything really suitable at present and agreed, could one be given the go-ahead?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what "general photographic interests" you're seeking to support in a thread.

Beginners tips? Camera / equipment discussions? Darkroom / photo editing techniques? Or ... ?

In any case ... All you have to do is start the thread. Just make sure you title it and state up front what the topic / theme is supposed to be.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
The mods appear to be running ragged these days keeping culture wars and politics out of the discussions. Many thanks for their efforts, and it might be easier to save some time by looking at new threads up front. For example, people dismantling statues for known reasons is hardly Fortean or paranormal or unexplained. (I didn't open the thread in question because, well, no mystery.) If a statue as found fallen with no apparent cause, that might be a subject for discussion.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a note on copying text from articles for newer members who haven't spotted the protocol.

We'd be grateful if you would:-

A) Please always include the headline, the author and the date of the article.

B) Please quote only an extract: certainly not more than two or three good-sized paragraphs, but these needn't be contiguous, and they needed be the first. Give us only the meat of the argument, not the breadsticks or the coffee.

C) Note that the fact that a publisher has already or may in the future decide to limit access to an article is not a legitimate reason to reproduce the entire text.

D) Please include at least a brief personal opinion and/or some contextualisation that shows why you are presenting the article to readers.

E) Please re-format the article extract to ensure it is readable. In particular, add line-breaks for paragraphs and remove advertising, images and their consequently orphaned captions.

F) Please provide a link that leads directly to the article, not one that goes via a third-party app or search engine.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
The author of this was Yithian, on 26/7/20.

"This is a note on copying text from articles for newer members who haven't spotted the protocol."
Please quote only an extract: not the breadsticks or the coffee.
Please include at least a brief personal opinion .....

Dunno what this chap has against breadsticks or coffee.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Could you pin this thread please?

michael59

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Already done.

The problem is that there are thirteen other threads pinned in this forum, so I can only guarantee it remains in the top 1/3 of the first page.
Am I guilty of not practicing these methods? I can barely keep track of the postings I make so many all over the internet. I really do want to be a good member but, I think I will need to be told/shown what I did so that I don't do it again. I don't want anyone to think that if it happens I am purposely being disrespectful. Each board I belong to has different practices.

I honestly have a terrible memory since reaching menopause and it has been on going for 15 years now. I mean, the bad memory part is ongoing. So are the hot flashes. lol

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Am I guilty of not practicing these methods? I can barely keep track of the postings I make so many all over the internet. I really do want to be a good member but, I think I will need to be told/shown what I did so that I don't do it again. I don't want anyone to think that if it happens I am purposely being disrespectful. Each board I belong to has different practices.

I honestly have a terrible memory since reaching menopause and it has been on going for 15 years now. I mean, the bad memory part is ongoing. So are the hot flashes. lol
Do your best and we'll sort out any mistakes.

Certainly don't worry about it.

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I was going to post about the potential use of a heat ray. (because heat ray!) but was weighing against it because the article is about use in american political protests. But I searched and saw I was beaten to the posting by a mod. Should I message mods if I want to make a post about a fortean subjects in the future if there is politics rule potential?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I was going to post about the potential use of a heat ray. (because heat ray!) but was weighing against it because the article is about use in american political protests. But I searched and saw I was beaten to the posting by a mod. Should I message mods if I want to make a post about a fortean subjects in the future if there is politics rule potential?
Yes, please.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
There's no hard and fast answer, because it's all a matter of context and framing. This alone means it's probably better to contact the staff if you're not sure about the boundaries.

The prohibition concerning "politics" most clearly pertains to comments and postings relating to specific political entities (officials; parties; groups; etc.) and their endless quests to obtain (a) relative advantage in the electorate's eyes and / or (b) power.

It also clearly applies to comments and postings which promote (or denigrate) one or another political belief, group or position. This latter aspect is prohibited by the forum's Terms & Conditions.

Using this specific case for illustration ...

The quoting of the cited news item was stripped of the bits pertaining to the incident that have proven controversial and been used as ammunition to slur one or another "political" stance or group. The quoted excerpt was tailored to maintain the focus on the thread's topic (a 'heat ray'), its existence and its perceived availability for use. In other words, the post was configured so as to highlight the heat ray aspect with minimal regard to the protest situation and / or how someone was alleged to have played that situation to his own "political" advantage.

This framing was further reinforced by the introductory comment simply stating the 'heat ray' was in the news again.

If you follow the source citation link to the full article, you'll see that article's latter paragraphs addressing a different non-lethal weapon system, the hearings within which the subject came up, and the protest response for which someone had inquired about the 'heat ray' were omitted from the post.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
A couple of times in recent memory we've had members posting links to the contents of the Google Drive (cloud storage).
It would be preferred if, whenever possible, files are uploaded directly to this site as attachments instead.

If the file in question exceeds the 2mb limit, an image could be shrunk or short .pdfs disassembled into their constituent pages. If you're really stuck, PM me or @EnolaGaia and we'll find a way to get it on the board.

The concern is a security one. It might actually be all fine and dandy, but we're not inclined to start investigating while other options are available.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Can I just remind people if you are replying to a message in a thread can you quote part of / link to it as it makes the discussion easier to follow. Thanks