• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great Dystopias

The Godwhale.

One of the first sf books I read (knowing it was sf)

Some strange imagery...but I think a cyborg whale as a plankton harvester makes sense.

(Even though in RL it would be prohibitavley expensive)

I think Half Past Human is actually the better book, even though it is two novellas glued together. It's particularly interesting because there aren't really 'baddies' - just radically different ways of living a life on a planet so overcrowded most of the surface area is needed to grow food.

I won't reveal the denouement but It chimes with my belief as to the way the human race must develop. Unless of course God/Christ arrives to sort things out first.

Last edited:
Evgeniy Zamyatin's hugely influential dystopia `WE` has finally come home. A Russian film adaptation has been made and is sceduled for release next year. Can't wait.

Meanwhile, over in the Land of the Free, they're screen in g a TV series of `Brave New World` (The novel of which was much indebted to the above):

(This features Demi Moore apparently - which is nice as it suggests to me that there might, after all, be some sort of connection to the world of the Nineties that I remember and the current odd timeline that we inhabit). Anyone seen it?

DAY OF THE OPRICHNI by VLADIMIR SOROKIN.

https://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/D...in-Jamey-Gambrell-Translated-by/9780241355114

Sorokin is the bete noir of the Russian cultural establishment of the noughties - and here he takes direct aim at the Putin regime and all its works.

In 2028, or thereabouts (dates are just hinted at) Russia has full on reverted back to being a Monarchist imperial power that has isolated itself from the rest of the world and which is committed, at state level, to the Russian Orthodox branch of Christianity. The Kremlin has been painted white (in honour of the anticommunist Whites in the post -revolution civil war),His Majesty the Czar is incumbent in it, and there are public floggings on the streets of Moscow.

This is a black comedy which treats us to a day-in the -life-of a loyal henchman from the Oprichni - an elite Samurai like cabal which exists to violently surpress any and every resistance or obstacle - to this regime.

Komiaga is a self-satisfied servant of the status quo, stuffed full with the patrotic sentimentality of his day, and we follow him as he embarks on harassing and plundering the enemeis of the state, taking bribes, getting wasted with his comrades in arms and so on. Life is highly ritualised and everything revolves around pomp and circumstance - for those at the top, at least.The end f result reads a bit like a cross between A Clockwork Orange and Fahrenheit 451 - with an anti-hero forming a part of a sadistic gang devoted only to the hypocrisies of the demi-Godlike monarchy.

This was written in 2006 and, since that time, many of the things it lampoons have moved closer to having come to pass (Putin changing the constitition so that he can stay on to 2034, to name but one).

Sorokin is an uncompromising writer and much of his earlier stuff is quite obscure and (in a surreal way) scatological - I would say that this is his most accsesible work - it is fast paced and rich in inventive detail and sometimes funny.

No Dystopian novel completist should be without it. Also if you are fuming about `Russian` interference in Western life then this might gerntly remind you that it is the Russian people who have been interefered with first - and for far longer.

`We.`

I read that when young, on the insistence of some educated liberal.

Its completley unmemoriable, and only fit for such bores.

(`Brave New World` is better, and was originaly given a cover illustration by a late friend. He never read it).

The Slynx by Tatiana Tolstaya (New York Review Book, 2003).

This is a Russian science-fantasy satire and post-apocalypse tale.

Following a dimly recalled nuclear accident referred to as `The Blast`, nature has reclaimed Moscow and, two hundred years on, a human society has rebuilt itself there, roughly on Neolithic lines. Many people however are mutated - a la Whyndam's The Chrysalids - although people just get on with things without making an issue of these `Consequences`. The people are rustic and pig ignorant - yet not religious (which is refreshing). They are, however, full of superstitious dread - the Slynx of the title is a mythical invisible demonic creature that is thought to dwell on the outskirts of the city and somehow have a malign influence over people's lives from a distance.

Society is ruled over the philistine `Saniturions` - who ride around on a sledge wearing red hoods. A species of mutated humans called `Degenerators` are put to work as pack horses - as they walk on four legs, but are otherwise intelligent. `Free thinking` - which means thinking about anything very deeply or betraying any curiosity - is culturally discouraged by widespread self-censorship. (This part of it is a horribly accurate portrait of contemporary Russia, I'm sorry to say).

Pre-apoclaypse books -` Oldenprint` - do exist but few read them as they are thought to give off harmful radiation. However, the Great Leader writes out random passages of these claiming them as his own work.

The narrator is a simple guy whose job it is to write out the leader's supposed writings. He goes on to tell of how, after marrying up into a rich family with a library of Oldenprint books - he came to realise that they are not the words of the leader but of multiple authors from the distant past. He becomes a self-educated bibliophile and embarks on a mission to reclaim and save as many of the old books as he can....

If you have read Russell Hoban's Riddley Walker or John Crowley's Engine Summer the basic premise will not seem at all fresh. What makes it more unique is the lightness of touch : there is plenty of high comedy to enjoy here - much of it resulting from the reader having to read between the lines of the narrator's dumb naivete. The novel,also functions as a primer in Russian poetry - many extracts from which are scattered throughout,

I was reminded more than anything of Dmitry Glukhovsky's Metro 2033 qnd Metro 2034. Glukhovsky is seen as a pulp writer and Tolstaya as writing Great Literature (yes, she is related to Leo Tolstoy) - but their worlds could almost co-exist in the same universe - with Tolstaya's story being about what happened to people who survived in overground Moscow.

The translator is the recently deceased Jamey Gambrell who also brought Sorokin's The Day of the Oprichni to us (see above).

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/310722.The_Slynx

Last edited:
Was lucky enough to find a hardback copy of the recently published Joanne Ramos novel, The Farm, in my local Oxfam Books recently.

It’s set in present day New York State, but imagines a world in which wealthy women outsource pregnancy and childbirth to their poorer or ethnic minority counterparts. I read an interview with the author who said she wrote it in response to Trump’s election.

A really interesting read - and something I can certainly see being adapted to TV.

Last edited:
Good news on the publishing front.

Faber & Faber are republishing They: A Sequence of Unease by the late Kay Dick

This dystopian novella first came out in 1977 and despite winning some prize or other very quickly sank.

I'm ashamed to say that I had never heard of it until now. From what I can gather it concerns a near future UK where a shadowy mob known only as `They` is on the rampage attacking anything that hints at artistic individuality - as well as people who live alone or don't party.

The title sounds like a homage to Evgeny Zamyatin's classic. Otherwise I am getting a hint of Fahrenheit 451 (or even The Day of the Oprichini - see above) Some readers are comparing it to Ballard and calling it `Weird fiction` or even `folk horror`. Margaret Atwood is a fan.

Some great reviews here:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1714747.They

Has anyone read it?

`Q` by Christina Dalcher (London: Harper Collins Ltd, 2021).

Christina Dalcher, an American with a background in linguistics, seems to be something of a publishing phenomenon. She has achieved a feat of pleasing both the readership of women's magazines (such as Women & Home. Good Housekeeping and Cosmopolitan) and the kind of chinstrokers who are the usual market for dystopian fiction. I am not suggesting that there is never any overlap between these two demographics, but it is rare for dystopian novels of thiese kinds to receive the kind of plaudits from those that Dalcher has had heaped on her from such publications.

Her previous, and best known, novel is called VOX (2018) and her most recent is `Femlandia`. The first one is set in a world where American women are gagged through only being allowed to speak so many words a day, whereas `Femlandia` sounds as though it might function as a kind of critique of the excesses of radical feminism - to balance out the first novel maybe.

I have only read `Q`, which is sandwiched in the middle of this apparent volte face - and seems a lot less implausible than the other two.

The theme, put simply, is Eugenics. We are in an America where citizens in general and children in particualr are rigorously tested against a standard `Quotient` which includes academic performance and general social conformity - the `Q` of the title - and the outcome of this determines one's whole life, such as the school one attends, what tyype of jobs one can go for and so on. (It is similar to the `social credit` programme which is said to be in operation within parts of China).

Elaine is an ordinry middle-class mother of two daughters, and a teacher herself, who is mildly sceptical of the new system but who has adapted to it. That is, until one of her daughters is suddenly relegated to being sent to a `special school` on grounds of acdemic underperformance (although Elaine suspects her Aspergic behaviour may have more to do with it).

It just so happens that Elaine's husband is a big shot in this whole new (somewhat messianic) social planning system - and he is unsympathetic, to put it mildly, when Elaine raises her concerns with him.

Elaine comes from a German family and her still living grandmother becomes concerned too and regales her with tales of similar things afoot in Nazi Germany when she had been a child. This eventually spurs Elaine into getting a job as a teacher in the special school that her daughter has been packed off to. In the process, she uncovers a sinister conspiracy which goes way beyond seperating people into streams (which has public support) but is a full on Eugenics programme, complete with the advocacy of euthanasia for those deemed unfit for the new social perfection...

The tale has factual information woven into the narrative about the Eugenics movement which had traction in Europe and America in the early Twentieth Century. It is an eye opener and disturbing with it. (In this way I was reminded of the alternate history novel Fatherland by Robert Harris (which also incorporates historical information about the holocaust). I was also put in mind of Never Let Me Go by Kazuro Ishiguro - in so far as it seems to be set more in a parallel universe than in a near future.

Dalcher imporessively spins a whole novel on this rather focused theme (even if it does overstay its welcome just a tad) and her attention to believable detail is something to behold. Nevertheless, a part of me wants to call this `dystopia-lite` - although that would be doing `Q~ an injustice.

What I mean though is the way she delivers her tale. The narrator's voice is very much the `relatable`, `bubbly` ordinary-married-woman-with-kids voice and I felt that she was addressing other women rather than me. (This may explain why she is so adored by the women's glossies). Most of the men in the story are cardboard cut out villains - although to be fair, the prominent public exponents of the new system are shown to be women.

So this is a serious novel, with a point needing to be heard. It is more circumspect and `real world` than most dystopias - it has an abvious target - and a sense that the wrongs involved can be corrected. Check it out:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/thrilling-book-bestselling-author-VOX-ebook/dp/B07YLC2QJN

An interesting French graphic artist.

... The future that the French artist Chantal Montellier imagined in the 1970s and ’80s, when her dystopian comics ran in the magazine Métal Hurlant, is likewise ominous. Montellier envisioned a society in which the government requires loyalty oaths, culture is drenched in vulgarity, and women have lost their reproductive rights to gestational innovations. In this work, she explores French anxieties about the end of the trentes glorieuses (a period of unprecedented economic prosperity that lasted from 1945 to 1975), the rise of decadent consumerism, modern technology, and a new world order. Yet even in her bleak visions of the future, Montellier’s focus remains on her characters’ struggle for dignity and liberation.

Montellier is an unusual figure in French comics. Less famous than Claire Bretécher, who satirized bourgeois life in her widely popular Agrippine comic strip, and Marjane Satrapi, whose memoir Persepolis was adapted into a César-winning movie, Montellier is a politically engaged artist and a pioneer of the feminist movement in French comics. Born in 1947 near Saint-Étienne, she trained at the prestigious École des Beaux-Arts but found the school stuffy and the students apathetic. After completing her degree, she began teaching visual arts at a high school in Haute-Savoie, a job that left her little time to pursue her passion—painting. She fell into comics in 1972, almost by chance, when a friend offered her a job as an editorial cartoonist for Combat syndicaliste, an anarcho-syndicalist newspaper that covered the concerns and interests of French workers.

Over the next 50 years, Montellier produced an impressive and wide-ranging body of work: political cartoons, comic books, art portfolios, essays, novels, and collections of stories. She developed a reputation as a rebel, unafraid to call out misogyny and fearless in her commitment to her ideals.

Although some of her dystopian comic strips were released in the United States in the 1980s in the sci-fi magazine Heavy Metal, she remains largely unknown here. But US audiences may finally get to know her work this year, as three of her bandes dessinées, translated by Geoffrey Brock and collected under the title Social Fiction, have just been published by New York Review Books. ...

Social Fiction features three self-contained graphic novellas.

The first, Wonder City, begins with a splash page that shows a massive street poster, on which a glamorous couple is locked in an embrace, beneath repeated commands to “Love yourselves, love Wonder City.” In the background are the skyscrapers of a metropolis, while in the foreground, an armed policeman has raised his truncheon to strike unseen protesters. The symmetrical lines and juxtapositions of this visual quickly establish the themes that Montellier will set against each other in her story: state control and human rights.

An epidemic has just broken out in Wonder City, a state of emergency has been declared, and communications have been cut. These new restrictions come on the heels of mass censorship and the suspension of civil liberties. The only solace that city resident Freddy Foster has is live music, and it is while attending a jazz performance one night that he meets and falls in love with Angie Parker, a militant and musician. When the couple seek permission to have a child, they are denied it on the grounds that Angie’s tests show she is infertile. But is this denial based on her test results, or is Angie being punished for her activism? ...

Shelter, the second comic in Social Fiction, originally appeared in Métal Hurlant in 1978. In it, a bourgeois couple, Theresa and Jean, stop by a subterranean mall on their way to a dinner party and find themselves marooned inside it during a nuclear attack. “You have nothing to fear,” the mall director reassures the shoppers. “This shelter is designed to function perfectly autonomously and can support 15,000 occupants for one year.” Armed security officers shepherd the stunned patrons to the auditorium, where they receive orders to sign up for jobs that will ensure the survival of the community. (The premise will seem familiar to readers of Hugh Howey’s Silo books, recently adapted into a series on AppleTV.)

The mall authorities provide everyone with not just food and shelter but also clothing, books, and movies—all for free. “To each according to his needs, in a way,” Theresa quips. She has been assigned the position of librarian, but in short order she notices that security officers show up with lists of books they borrow, only to never return. “Bookburning without fire,” she remarks to Jean. ...

The third section of Social Fiction is taken up by 1996, a series of comics set mostly in a future United States where people are subjected to lab experiments, women are shot for sport, and, even in death, white corpses are treated with greater dignity than nonwhite ones. Montellier told the comics journalist Paul Gravett that 1996 was inspired by the “visual shock” she felt after watching American movies like THX 1138 and Blade Runner, which gave her the impression of “something irredeemably ferocious, cruel, crass, violent and perverted.” A visit to New York in the 1980s apparently did nothing to change this view. ...

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/chantal-montellier-social-fictions/

Lalami-Social-Fiction-2_panels.jpg

(Copyright © 2023 Chantal Montellier; translation copyright © 2023 Geoffrey Brock; courtesy of New York Review Comics)

Back