• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hair Colour & Personality (Redheads: Fact & Fiction)

I guess the 13 million people in the world with red hair and blue eyed must live in Scotland, Wales, and Ireland.

The big downside of red hair and blue eyes is my family members are so sensitive to the sun.

In the summer my family members buy lots of sunscreen.

I assume my wife and I carry “double recessive genes “ , one for the red hair and one for the blue eyes.

I think my beard before it turned white had a little red hair.

I think my wife before she turned white had a few streaks of red.
I'd say a large proportion do, yes. But the Celtic habit of buggering off to foreign shores means we are also distributed about the place, along with red-haired genes!

Bear in mind though, there are Viking accounts of red haired warriors too, as well as red haired slaves being highly prized. The Basque country in Spain is also known for red-haired people.

A particularly attractive variation is red hair and green eyes. Now that is, as the folk tales go, an explosive mix. In the far north west of Ireland, there is a tendency for deep black hair with green eyes too. It is a powerful combination.

However, all of this must be taken with a pinch of salt, because reading Dr Adam Rutherford's A brief history of everyone who ever lived makes short work of ideas of nations or races when it comes it actual genetics.

Last edited:
Interesting !

According to Google, green eyes is the rarest of all eye colors.

In 1986 movie “ Big Trouble in Little China “ with Kurt Russell, the evil person wanted a green eyed girl for their magical power.

My eldest daughter's partner is a flaming red head and she's the sweetest, most even tempered woman I've ever known. My dark-haired, brown eyed daughter, on the other hand... actually, she's a sweetie too.

I'd say a large proportion do, yes. But the Celtic habit of buggering off to foreign shores means we are also distributed about the place, along with red-haired genes!

Bear in mind though, there are Viking accounts of red haired warriors too, as well as red haired slaves being highly prized. The Basque country in Spain is also known for red-haired people.

A particularly attractive variation is red hair and green eyes. Now that is, as the folk tales go, an explosive mix. In the far north west of Ireland, there is a tendency for deep black hair with green eyes too. It is a powerful combination.

However, all of this must be taken with a pinch of salt, because reading Dr Adam Rutherford's A brief history of everyone who ever lived makes short work of ideas of nations or races when it comes it actual genetics.

But the Celtic people originated on the Iberian peninsula, where red hair is very uncommon.
Redheads are thought to have originated in Asia, but then migrated to cooler and more sun-starved climes like the North of the British isles and Scandinavia, precisely because of their sensitivity to the sun.

https://www.howtobearedhead.com/redheads-originated-in-central-asia-not-ireland-or-scotland/

But the Celtic people originated on the Iberian peninsula, where red hair is very uncommon.
Redheads are thought to have originated in Asia, but then migrated to cooler and more sun-starved climes like the North of the British isles and Scandinavia, precisely because of their sensitivity to the sun.

https://www.howtobearedhead.com/redheads-originated-in-central-asia-not-ireland-or-scotland/
Good point. Howver, one theory is that the Celts were actually a scion of the Scythians who ended up in North Africa and the Iberian peninsula, before heading into France and beyond. That would tally with what you are saying on the egentic origins.

None of my daughters have red hair. One has dark hair with brown eyes the other 2 have blonde with blue eyes. My husband was dark haired and we both had hazel eyes.
Only my eldest has a redheaded girl, and both she and her husband are darkhaired, or he was till he went grey early, but his grandmother was redhaired so it's persistent I guess.

Back