• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hampton Court Ghost

A

Anonymous

Has anyone seen the cctv footage of the alleged Hampton Court ghost? I've only seen a still photo so any links would be helpful.

Apparently scientists say that it is perhaps the best recorded evidence of the existence of ghosts.

It's hard to comment on that based on a still image so I'll reserve judgement after I've seen the full video footage!

Also does anyone else feel cynical in regards to the whole 'tourist attractions' debate?

I saw a TV debunking of it which involved a funny shadow from a particular window.

Yep, it looked EXACTLY like a woman running shrieking down the hal, pleading for her life..................:rolleyes:

To be honest it looks like a bloke in an old-style jacket opening doors. But then it porbably would do. I dont kwwo the full details and the like but I would love to see the full CCTV footage as that would be far more credible.

But you never know, once it is investigated a bit and if it cant be proved it was hoaxed or not then who knows.

Sorry escargot, I should have described the footage in my origional post....

This footage was on the news today and consisted of a robed figure apparently opening and slamming a heavy set of doors which in turn alerted the security via an alarm.

I've just heard it on the radio news and had to dodge my manager and get online.
Whatever it looks like, I'll take bets that it beats the sparkly dust out of poxy orbs! Get Degsy and Yvette down there - I want to see them wet themselves!
Merry Christmas, Happy Yule, Happy Hannuka etc.etc.

Here's a link to the story with a picture.

Would a ghost know how to open and close firedoors ?
I thought they were tied to the way things were in their lifetime. If a door was there during that time, it wouldn't have had crash bars and a sign saying "press bars to open".

Looks like a hoax, unless ghosts can learn and adapt to their environment. I've not heard of that happening before though :confused:

Edit: I work with CCTV and if it's a time lapse system that captured the image there probably will be only one frame recorded with an image of the "ghost".
My first reaction would be to take a seperate video feed from that camera into a standard real time recorder to try and get better footage. After all, acording to the story it's happened 3 times so far. No reason to think it wouldn't happen again.

QUOTE: "It was incredibly spooky because the face just didn't look human."

Looks like Michael Jackson's arrived in the UK early.

Or it's a very rude ghost, .....Didn't sign the visitor's book.

Its difficult to tell because of the compression in the photo and the general poor quality and time lapse of the CCTV footage it looks like a man in A Father Xmas outfit shutting the doors. Perhaps it was all a lie and Santa doesn't deliver all the presents in one night? :D

recorder, I wasn't taking the p*ss, just mentioning the feeble attempt at debunking that I once saw. I will look at the new evidenbce with interest.

Hoooooooo, I love ghosts!;)

That sort of thing is usually on London Tonight or Newsroom SouthEast. Missed London Tonight so might be on Newsroom SE.
Has it been on SKY news? They usually get that sort of stuff.

I still haven't seen the haunted co-op footage :(

Looks pretty suspect from the picture but can't really judge from that. Would have to agree with the comment that surely a ghost would not interact with a door that wasn't there in their time?

Infact...coming up on Newsroom SouthEast the footage of the Hampton Court intruder.
If u are in the SE Area get your TV on BBC1.

SKY digital channel 953 if you are not in the SE and have sky digital.

Well just seen the footage and it seems more of a case of an unidentified intruder rather than a ghost.
Without knowing what kind of public access is available to that part of the Palace and what is on the other side of the doors it is hard to rule out it just being a visitor.
If not I'd be a total cynic and say it was a set-up.
If on the other hand the footage is from a restricted area of the Palace grounds or if the doors open onto somewhere where it would be very hard for an unauthorised person to reach then it is infinitely more spooky.
With the knowledge available though I'm inclined to think it is more of a cheap publicity stunt. Especially considering the point about interaction.
BTW, don't you just love the condescending tones of TV news reporters towards anything slightly unusual.

One has to ask why someone who died many moons ago would feel the need to open or close any doors anyway...

The footage was on Richard and Judy, and it did look to me as a character dressed in a short jacket, tights and a big hat with a feather in it. Acc. to them it was time lapse footage and nothing was detected in the area - a 'secure' area - before or after the event. It seemd to be someone dressed up as Henry 8th. who opened the fire doors and then decided it wasn't the way out, then closed them again, and it is party time;) We shall await further analysis of the tape with bated breath and hope it's 'inexplicable'!

the one thing that strikes me is how bright the face is compared to the robe!

CNN has a story on this as well:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/12/19/hampton.ghost.ap/index.html

This is sort of a minor thing, even if this was a normal ALIVE human running around in there, wouldn't you only open a single side of the door, not both of them?

I have also included a copy of the image, i've adjusted the brightness and contrast slightly so you can see more detail.

http://www.freewebs.com/plunkotica/pic001.gif

I tend to do both sides if I don't know which one is locked or whatever - mind you, while I claim to be alive I'm not sure I claim to be normal so.....

the link only gives me this page again?

Kath

i noticed that, just copy and paste the text for the link into a new browser.

i tried to fix it but to no avail!

Why are they so sure it wasn't somebody dressed up in 16th cent. finery? On CNN they said some of the tour guides did that.

Most of the Royal Palaces have staff in period dress to chat to tourists, pose for photographs etc. Hampton Court are doing a "special" this Christmas and actually staffing and using the main kitchen!
So the idea it is a member of staff, in costume, popping out for a sly ciggie, isn't entirely out of the question. However, if this was the case, surely security would've already found them and given them a warning ... but allowing them to do it three times? And then releasing the footage to the press? Although in the latter case, the publicity would be cheap and effective!
Ghosts have been known to open doors, windows etc. Perhaps these doors are in the same place as ones from the spooks lifetime - just modernised into firedoors. After all, double doors were quite common ... especially in palaces.
Or perhaps they don't like closed doors anyhow.

anyone found the footage online at all? I'm dying to see it, everyone's talking about this.

has there been any word about what time the footage was actually from? in the morning, at night with a light on the door?

I saw the video on Richard & Judy. The frames are quite widely spaced so it is hard to tell exactly what is going on. I had the impression the doors opened on their own then after a pause the figure appeared and closed them.

Thanks, Sanguinarian!

Certainly looks a bit wierd. No doubt someone will come up with a rational explanation, but I can't help hoping this is genuine . . .

Carole

Cynical old me sees something wrong here- why is the CCTV image wobbling about so much?

is the camera fixed to a wobbly pole or something?

or is it just a hand-held digital camera?

that was my first impression to. its very wobbly for a supposed stationary camera. I mean CCTV cameras are usually more often than not mounted up high on a wall or whatever. Very suspicious.

Also, the figure appears, closes doors then one of them opens again.

The door opens and there is no one behind it but if you look at the start of the footage the door is not completely shut, anyone who has used those kind of doors knows thay are a bastard to shut properly. Could it be they were not shut properly, blew open and some passer-by/employee walks into shot to pull them shut.

As you'll know there is a stupid bar that has to be lined up correctly to shut these kind of fire doors, the guy pulls the first door shut and as he goes to pull the second door shut the wind catches the first door again and blows it back open. Finally with a hand on each the guy pulls them shut, case closed.

The only thing that is uncertain is where a wind source would come from behind the doors, it looks pretty dark so doesn't seem to be anywhere open that wind could be blowing in from. However it could easily be a long hall with open doors at the other end or the end of a corridor which acts as a kind of wind tunnel.

I think a plan of the building in that area would answer a lot of questions and rule out theories such as this. Anyone have one???

It's no ghost IMO, an innocent person unknowingly being mistaken for a ghost or a hoax.

I work at the Palace and have known about this as soon as it happened as I was in a meeting with two people who were involved in this in different circumstances.
The first person was a female warden who was near the location of the incident.She was notified of the alarms going off and was told to go and shut the doors.For a person to get to this door,a person would have had to have gone past her where she was posted and she had not seen anyone for about 10-15mins.She then went to shut the doors as the alarm had gone off but when she got there they were all locked.
The next day it went off and they same occurance happened,After it happened again, Health and Safety were sent down there to check the doors after the alarm had sounded again and they doors were locked again.
It would not be one of the costumed guides either and it would not be anyone sneeking off for a crafty cigarette either as after the last fire there at the Palace, smoking is severly restricted to cetain outside parts of the palace for employees

Where the ghost is seen shutting the doors is a tiny little area behind three sides of the building which form a little space which in unaccessable to the public.
I wont be going behind there on my own at midday anymore.

Back